What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'23 FL CB Cormani McClain (Signed to COLORADO)

Huh? Dude was 190 at the combine and is 200 now
excited eric cartman GIF by South Park

My brother was an OL at University of Houston. He topped out at a lean 290. Just couldn't gain more. 8500 calories a day. Waking up in the middle of the night twice to eat. Ultimately, he had a metabolic problem which medically retired him early.
If people remember Brian Dyet he was recruited to CU out of Pomona HS in Arvada, Joel Klatt's dad Gary was the head coach. I was doing my student teaching there his senior year. Guy was an outstanding athlete.

Brian generally was between 247 and 252 and was cut. As soon as he committed to CU they put him on a diet of 7000 - 8000 calories a day including specific mixes of proteins and other nutrients including some specific supplements along with a designed program of lifting and conditioning. He wasn't doing roids or anything illegal. The guy worked his tail off to get bigger in a positive way.

The weight didn't want to go on as hard as he worked at it. He ended up as a multiple year starter at CU and was listed at 275lbs but was actually under that. He was good enough that he ended up in a couple of NFL training camps including the Broncos IIRC but even with the pros working on him the issue was always his weight, he had everything else to be a successful player but could never add the bulk to be a successful NFL down lineman.

Some guys just hit a wall in terms of adding weight.

False. False. False.
Any strength trainer would tell you there is absolutely zero cardio element to gaining muscle mass and weight. Period.

Cardio is the enemy of gains.

Cardio causes muscle proteins to break down because the body uses muscle glycogen as the primary fuel source, which can lead to the body tapping into muscle tissue as a fuel source.

In addition to that, a fatigued body doesn't grow. Cardio can cause your body to produce cortisol, which suppresses muscle growth, as well as decreasing testosterone and growth hormone production.

If your strength coach is having you run gassers after or before a lifting session, he sucks at his job.

Last edited:
Any strength trainer would tell you there is absolutely zero cardio element to gaining muscle mass and weight. Period.

Anyone who has ever played, coached or watched football would tell you you can’t play without cardio training.

Anyone who has ever played, coached or watched football would tell you you can’t play without cardio training.
No ****...it shouldn't be mixed with the strength training though. No one is going to put on good weight during winter conditioning or during the season though.

The "bulking phases" should include little cardio. You want a guy to play 20 lbs heavier, you don't say, come into camp at 220, and expect him to still be 220 come game time. If I want a guy playing at 220, I want him coming to camp a little heavier than that, so he's got some extra fuel for the workouts, and he won't end up under weight.

I'm not saying football players shouldn't do cardio. That's dumb. I'm just saying it needs to cut back on if a player is in need of gaing several lbs

Cardio causes muscle proteins to break down because the body uses muscle glycogen as the primary fuel source, which can lead to the body tapping into muscle tissue as a fuel source.

In addition to that, a fatigued body doesn't grow. Cardio can cause your body to produce cortisol, which suppresses muscle growth, as well as decreasing testosterone and growth hormone production.

If your strength coach is having you run gassers after or before a lifting session, he sucks at his job.
Going black and white when talking about these things is where you went wrong. You can absolutely do cardio and gain good weight. It's just slower.

“I have 4 sentences with useful information. I am the expert, so much so that I can use those 4 sentences (ignoring the one that includes the phrase ‘metabolic problem’) to determine the exact problem, which could not be solved by the player, his coaches, or other support staff over multiple years”

Hubris, thy name is Medford.

These are a lot of excuses for someone who just simply didn't put in the effort to do anything at CU. It wasn't body limitations to weigh more than 165lbs at 6'1" as a D1 athlete, it was not working & not prioritizing nutrition.
No more going back and forth with you. Sounds like you were 170 pound intramural hockey player that could never get big enough to play D. I coached hockey, and the question I'd have is could you ever skate well enough to play D?

No more going back and forth with you. Sounds like you were 170 pound intramural hockey player that could never get big enough to play D. I coached hockey, and the question I'd have is could you ever skate well enough to play D?
happy gilmore GIF

This is nothing more than a deflection from the actual discussion. Maybe take this up with someone like Layne Norton?

Good for him. I feel like he is worth a shot. Super high upside. If he sucks or doesn’t work, you can cut him easier than ever now

Good for him. I feel like he is worth a shot. Super high upside. If he sucks or doesn’t work, you can cut him easier than ever now
He’s worth a shot if he actually gives a ****.

None of his moves since the transfer have shown me that he really does.

I wasn’t the best student myself, but I sure as hell never had a professor write a letter about me being the worst student he’s ever had.

From what I heard, Cormani’s entitlement was off the freaking charts. He thought that he should be given it all without none of the work. Super lazy and super irresponsible is not a good combination.

However, I realize that most people are not a finished product at his age and I do hope that he figures it out somehow.

Back