What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'20 JC CB Alton Julian (Signed to Oregon State)

Well, if we have another defector here....we are down to two DBs. Probably one of the bigger needs in the class which is interesting.

I don't understand how someone can't hack it academically at a Junior College. I know not everyone is academically inclined, but at a Junior College, the pace is slower. There's a huge support system, just do the work... :mad:
Kind of like kNU, and they both lack AAU accreditation.

I don't understand how someone can't hack it academically at a Junior College. I know not everyone is academically inclined, but at a Junior College, the pace is slower. There's a huge support system, just do the work... :mad:
We are seeing more of this since the NCAA raised the standards for JC kids to qualify but you are right, at some of the junior colleges athletes almost have to try to not qualify.

Unfortunately there are athletes who are so focused on being an athlete that they don't do the minimum needed to pass the required classes, they probably did the same thing in high school which is why they are at the junior college.

Would be unfortunate for him not to qualify, I hate to see kids lose focus academically and then lose opportunities down the road. However, DB should be in a better spot next year than we currently are in.

We are seeing more of this since the NCAA raised the standards for JC kids to qualify but you are right, at some of the junior colleges athletes almost have to try to not qualify.

Unfortunately there are athletes who are so focused on being an athlete that they don't do the minimum needed to pass the required classes, they probably did the same thing in high school which is why they are at the junior college.

Well hell just watch last Chance U, a lot of these kids are lazy as hell or just flat out don’t care at all. They spend half the show talking about how football was their only dream and if that doesn’t work out they have no idea what they’ll do. I’m screaming at my TV, “PASS YOUR CLASSES AND GET A JOB MAYBE????” The help they get and the things those teachers do is so above and beyond what any student gets after kindergarten. By the end of the show they’re so fed up they’re saying, “can you recite your ABC’s? Yes? You pass!!”

Well hell just watch last Chance U, a lot of these kids are lazy as hell or just flat out don’t care at all. They spend half the show talking about how football was their only dream and if that doesn’t work out they have no idea what they’ll do. I’m screaming at my TV, “PASS YOUR CLASSES AND GET A JOB MAYBE????” The help they get and the things those teachers do is so above and beyond what any student gets after kindergarten. By the end of the show they’re so fed up they’re saying, “can you recite your ABC’s? Yes? You pass!!”
All true.

A part of it comes from their experience in high school and even earlier. Some school districts are pretty good about maintaining integrity with their athletes. When I was working with kids who were involved in sports I never had a coach ask or expect me to give a break to an athlete, they were expected to do the same work to the same level for the same grade as any other student. The only thing they asked was for me to keep them informed if an athlete was starting to slip so they could get the kid back on track before it became a problem. If the kid didn't do what was needed they sat.

In contrast I know of schools and districts who believe that as long as a kid is in sports they are not getting into trouble and everything possible should be done to keep them eligible. Some of the kids figure out quickly that as long as they play well they don't have to work and take advantage. Hard to break bad habits down the road.

All true.

A part of it comes from their experience in high school and even earlier. Some school districts are pretty good about maintaining integrity with their athletes. When I was working with kids who were involved in sports I never had a coach ask or expect me to give a break to an athlete, they were expected to do the same work to the same level for the same grade as any other student. The only thing they asked was for me to keep them informed if an athlete was starting to slip so they could get the kid back on track before it became a problem. If the kid didn't do what was needed they sat.

In contrast I know of schools and districts who believe that as long as a kid is in sports they are not getting into trouble and everything possible should be done to keep them eligible. Some of the kids figure out quickly that as long as they play well they don't have to work and take advantage. Hard to break bad habits down the road.

That’s disappointing that exists. Education should always be first because not everyone can be a professional athlete.

That’s disappointing that exists. Education should always be first because not everyone can be a professional athlete.
And for most the ticket to professional athletics requires that they stay eligible for college long enough to develop and be seen.

Also very few make enough as professional athletes to live on it the rest of their lives. Even if they weren't interested at the time that education makes a huge difference in their future potential.

And for most the ticket to professional athletics requires that they stay eligible for college long enough to develop and be seen.

Also very few make enough as professional athletes to live on it the rest of their lives. Even if they weren't interested at the time that education makes a huge difference in their future potential.

Absolutely. Always take advantage of the opportunities afforded to you when they’re available!

Absolutely. Always take advantage of the opportunities afforded to you when they’re available!
A few years back I had a school secretary complain to me that "The only reason these kids do their work in class and keep their grades up is to be eligible for sports." to which I replied "And what is the problem with that?"

I don't care why a kid completes classes and graduates, I care a lot that they do it. The why they did it won't matter a lot in a few years but they will have it and that is what matters.

Last edited:
A few years back I had a school secretary complain to me that "The only reason these kids do their work in class and keep their grades up is to be eligible for sports." to which I replies "And what is the problem with that?"

I don't care why a kid completes classes and graduates, I care a lot that they do it. The why they did it won't matter a lot in a few years but they will have it and that is what matters.

Absolutely, what kind of nonsense is that? This country has lost its way when it comes to education. Everyone thinks either sports, YouTube or Instagram “modeling” are the way to be successful in life. All because it’s the least amount of work to be successful.

Last edited:
A few years back I had a school secretary complain to me that "The only reason these kids do their work in class and keep their grades up is to be eligible for sports." to which I replied "And what is the problem with that?"

Jesus, I've heard my brother bitch about this for quite some time. What you said, is all that matters.

Jesus, I've heard my brother bitch about this for quite some time. What you said, is all that matters.
Yeah. It’s great that they do the school work in order to stay eligible. But what happens to them when they no longer have that incentive?

Back