What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'20 JC SDE Julius Coates (Signed to Arkansas)

WasianCU

Club Member
Club Member
247sports
ESPN
Rivals
hudl
EMCC Profile

East Mississippi CC (Scooba, MS) / Ellsworth CC (Iowa Falls, IA) / Guilford HS (Rockford, IL)

3 years to play 2 - December grad

Twitter: https://twitter.com/_JuliusCoates3
Instagram:

Ht: 6'7"
Wt: 270
40:

247s rating: 3* - 85 grade; #12 SDE (#66 JC)
ESPN rating: unrated DE
Rivals rating: 2* - 5.4rr; unranked SDE

247sports Composite: 3* / 0.8306 / #18 SDE JC / #112 overall JC

Reported Offers: COLORADO, Arkansas, Akron, Kansas State, Maryland, Nebraska, New Mexico, Oregon, Western Kentucky

Last edited by a moderator:
giphy.gif

I’m confused. He’s being called a defensive standout, but I see a 4 minute highlight tape of him playing TE. I’m also not sure if I saw anything that screams “FREAK” as Bill Cody suggested above.

I’m confused. He’s being called a defensive standout, but I see a 4 minute highlight tape of him playing TE. I’m also not sure if I saw anything that screams “FREAK” as Bill Cody suggested above.
He plays on both sides of the ball but I'm not sure if that just started this season or earlier. His early season highlights show some DE in them:

Watch him run and play TE. Then remember that he is 6'7", 270. That is freakish

Watch him run and play TE. Then remember that he is 6'7", 270. That is freakish
His own Hudl says he's 6'5" 250, so I doubt 6'7" 270 is very accurate, unless that video is old he had a major growth spurt. Regardless, I just don't see anything special in his TE film outside of him being a big dude who can catch and run a bit. The newer video that shows his defensive snaps doesn't really change my opinion much either, tbh. Check out the OL he plays against in those clips. They basically stand up and move out of his way. I don't see much explosiveness anywhere in his game.

There's a reason he's at the highest profile JUCO in the country and we are his only offer.

His own Hudl says he's 6'5" 250, so I doubt 6'7" 270 is very accurate, unless that video is old he had a major growth spurt. Regardless, I just don't see anything special in his TE film outside of him being a big dude who can catch and run a bit. The newer video that shows his defensive snaps doesn't really change my opinion much either, tbh. Check out the OL he plays against in those clips. They basically stand up and move out of his way. I don't see much explosiveness anywhere in his game.

There's a reason he's at the highest profile JUCO in the country and we are his only offer.
His EMCC profile says that he is 6’7” 275. As I speculated in the Barzil thread, and based upon the above highlights, I am guessing that the first few games this year are his first time playing DL, and why we offered. Maybe you’ve seen a lot more exceptional athletes than me, but I have rarely seen 6’7” 270 lb guys that can move athletically like him. Like almost never. I was pleased to see his DL highlights above, his technique is raw to say the least, but his get off is good, and (I disagree) his athleticism flashes (especially if his vitals are anywhere close to real). This offer plays right in line with what I’ve said I think their DL strategy is (over and over again).

you should read the thread...

We are his only P5 offer, and that is concerning.

His EMCC profile says that he is 6’7” 275. As I speculated in the Barzil thread, and based upon the above highlights, I am guessing that the first few games this year are his first time playing DL, and why we offered. Maybe you’ve seen a lot more exceptional athletes than me, but I have rarely seen 6’7” 270 lb guys that can move athletically like him. Like almost never. I was pleased to see his DL highlights above, his technique is raw to say the least, but his get off is good, and (I disagree) his athleticism flashes (especially if his vitals are anywhere close to real). This offer plays right in line with what I’ve said I think their DL strategy is (over and over again).
If he's a legit 6'7" 270+ then maybe he's worth taking, but again, at that JUCO program and at that size, I can guarantee you that he's been scouted by every P5 program out there and CU has been the only one to step up with an offer.

As it pertains to the overall DL strategy, I agree that they are trying to completely change the physical profile along the DL to be bigger, taller, longer, etc. That's all well and good, but if guys don't have true P5 talent to go with it, you get what we saw when we played Air Force; a DL that is pushed 2-3 yards off the LOS every run play.

Brumbaughs recruiting efforts so far may get him first out the door. He ability to recruit prep lineman has been atrocious

He and Tillman both have done nothing but find JUCOs

If he's a legit 6'7" 270+ then maybe he's worth taking, but again, at that JUCO program and at that size, I can guarantee you that he's been scouted by every P5 program out there and CU has been the only one to step up with an offer.

As it pertains to the overall DL strategy, I agree that they are trying to completely change the physical profile along the DL to be bigger, taller, longer, etc. That's all well and good, but if guys don't have true P5 talent to go with it, you get what we saw when we played Air Force; a DL that is pushed 2-3 yards off the LOS every run play.
My initial comment about him being a freak was purely based on the assumption that his vitals are real. You understand that DL talent is developed at most programs, I presume. Development takes longer than one fall camp and a couple of games in 99% of cases. Going into this season, we had a total of one guy with any experience on the DL. What happened in the AFA game should have surprised no one. We’re not a blueblood program with frosh DL talent that is ready to make big plays from day one....and I doubt we will have that kind of talent until we’re winning 8+ games every year at a minimum.

My initial comment about him being a freak was purely based on the assumption that his vitals are real. You understand that DL talent is developed at most programs, I presume. Development takes longer than one fall camp and a couple of games in 99% of cases. Going into this season, we had a total of one guy with any experience on the DL. What happened in the AFA game should have surprised no one. We’re not a blueblood program with frosh DL talent that is ready to make big plays from day one....and I doubt we will have that kind of talent until we’re winning 8+ games every year at a minimum.
I'm not asking for blue chip talent across the board in DL recruiting. I'm asking for DL recruiting to get to a place where other P5 programs are also wanting to sign the guys we are targeting. We aren't really in on any DL who have other P5 options right now.

I'm not asking for blue chip talent across the board in DL recruiting. I'm asking for DL recruiting to get to a place where other P5 programs are also wanting to sign the guys we are targeting. We aren't really in on any DL who have other P5 options right now.
I don’t disagree with that. If this guy is 6’7” 270, he is a freak IMO, and he seems like an exceptional athlete that could be developed into something special as a DL. Also begging my original question of “how are we the first to offer?”. If he’s 6’4” and 240....I’ll pass. I trust that coaches know what is real here

Can you imagine this cat and Ivey as bookend DE’s. That definitely starts to look SEC like

I love the commitment to the philosophy of being massive on the lines. This is the type of guy who can set the edge, use his hands to get off blocks and disrupt passing lanes. Hopefully he can also deliver a pass rush, since that's a desperate team need.

Back