What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2017 Recruiting Class Appreciation Thread

Buffsbball

As we near the end of what is their 4th year of eligibility, I thought this would be a great thread to share memories, love, and appreciation for probably the best class in recent history not sure maybe even overall. All 5 men (honestly forgot about Lazar initially) have been great representatives of the University, 4 have all been very successful on the court, and will probably lead us to what should have been 2 tournaments (counting last year). Even when this class was forming, it had the feeling of something special all of the guys were talented and seemed to have a brotherly bond. Only Lazar transferred out (shocking in today's age) As a starter, I've included some of the accomplishments below. Feel free to add your own. Luckily we get one more year of Evan.

D'Shawn Schwartz- 71st overall recruit according to 247- regardless of if you think he lived up to his recruiting ranking or potential. The dude has a chance to be a 1,000 point scorer (at 870 currently).129 3s made, plays great team defense. He also just seems like a really awesome person with interests in music and always represented the buffs well keeping the in state recruiting tradition (under tad) going.

Tyler Bey- 130th overall recruit according to 247- From blocked shots, to thunderous dunks Tyler bey was fun to watch. Ever since he stepped on campus people had Andre flashbacks, and in Andre fashion left after 3 years to the NBA. 8th in program history in rebounds, 10th in blocks, 29th in points. Only 1-7 players in CU history with 1000 points 800 rebounds. The dude was a freak athletically and defensively and was 1st team pac-12 his sophomore year, and conference defense player of the year. Imagine if he was on this team.

Evan Battey- 138th overall recruit according to 247 one of my favorite buffs of all time. Suffered a stroke his freshman year and has come back from it and played very well of late. Been one of the best ambassadors of CU that I can remember he bleeds black and gold. He teases us that he wants to be a CU coach down the road (please make that happen). Has 751 career points so will realistically reach 1000 by next year. Is a very good passer for a big guy. He plays with energy and fire that are infectious on the team. He has increased his scoring every year. His build is also very unique at 6'7 260 the dude is a tank.

McKinley Wright IV- 229th overall recruit- where to even start with him. Has a argument at the best CU player of all time. For a late signee that we wouldn't have had if it weren't for a coaching change. Has brought it every day since day 1. As discussed many times has a chance to be the first pac 12 player ever with 1600 points, 600 boards, and 600 assists. His energy, motor, hustle, and ability to finish at the rim are bar none. The kid just has the it factor. The only reason he is still here is the NBA views him as slightly undersized even though fred vanvleet and payton pritchard are doing there thing. He has an amazing story as his dad was incarcerated most of his youth. He is extremely personable, likeable, and has carried this team throughout his career. Hoping he get's a shot at the NBA.

Lazar Nikolic- stayed a year before going abroad, don't want to waste a ton of space on him.

Overall- 4 potential 1000 point scorers, 2 all pac 12 pics, 2 all defense in pac 12 picks, potentially 2 NBA guys (somebody give Kin a chance), 4 great ambassadors for CU. You can never expect this good of a class ever. If we had done a slightly better job with 2016, 2018, and 2019 recruiting CU could have gone places I can only imagine. Tad has done a great job with this group. Can't wait to see how the rest of this year goes.

This was really a make or break class for Tad. Program had stagnated, even slipped. This was the group that got it re-launched. With that, the individual who deserves most of the credit is Kin. From his first second on the court, he took leadership and ownership that this was his team and they were going to win.

I don't think any of them are close to done.

All four seem like the kind of people who will be doing special things long after they hang up their sneakers.

Kin is a great leader, Bey is the best basketball player, Schwartz has been all you could ask in a team guy, but I have a feeling we are going to be hearing about Evan for a long time. To overcome what he has had to deal with and to be as optimistic and compassionate as he is makes him unique. When you see how his teammates respond to him it is impressive.

I don't think any of them are close to done.

All four seem like the kind of people who will be doing special things long after they hang up their sneakers.

Kin is a great leader, Bey is the best basketball player, Schwartz has been all you could ask in a team guy, but I have a feeling we are going to be hearing about Evan for a long time. To overcome what he has had to deal with and to be as optimistic and compassionate as he is makes him unique. When you see how his teammates respond to him it is impressive.
That's half of what impresses me so much with this class, is while their on court impact has been huge they genuinely just seem like all great dudes that will all be doing great things regardless of what it is.

I think Tad has started to value that more and more in recruiting:

Less: Bryce Peters types

More: Jabari Walker, George King,

Character means something. When you have work ethic, you want to learn you can do great things.

That's half of what impresses me so much with this class, is while their on court impact has been huge they genuinely just seem like all great dudes that will all be doing great things regardless of what it is.

I think Tad has started to value that more and more in recruiting:

Less: Bryce Peters types

More: Jabari Walker, George King,

Character means something. When you have work ethic, you want to learn you can do great things.
You are right. He isn't compromising on talent but he is insisting on character.

It seems it all changed when Tad had that season a few years back when he had the talent to compete with anyone but was frustrated all season because the team chemistry was just wrong. He lost a lot of games the team shouldn't have and it seemed he didn't connect with them. He admitted that he didn't enjoy coaching that year.

These guys spend so much time around each other having guys who don't fit just doesn't work.

This team really seems to enjoy being around each other. They take pleasure in each others success and care about each other.

You are right. He isn't compromising on talent but he is insisting on character.

It seems it all changed when Tad had that season a few years back when he had the talent to compete with anyone but was frustrated all season because the team chemistry was just wrong. He lost a lot of games the team shouldn't have and it seemed he didn't connect with them. He admitted that he didn't enjoy coaching that year.

These guys spend so much time around each other having guys who don't fit just doesn't work.

This team really seems to enjoy being around each other. They take pleasure in each others success and care about each other.
The good ole Derrick White year. You are exactly right.

Derrick White, Xavier Johnson, George King, Wesley Gordon, Dom, Bryce Peters, Josh Fortune, that's a lot of talent on a team but the chemistry and love this team has wasn't on that team.

Back