What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Men's basketball general off-seasons news thread

That's so CU...sigh
When your athletics department doesn't support your basketball team this is what happens. Funding for assistant pool shrinks dramatically. Having said that, doubt Danny Manning, he's too high profile especially after head coaching at Wake, I'd expect Tad to continue his recent trend with Kim and Anthony in a young up and comer, with playing experience that can relate to players and ideally recruit. Especially since he has such continuity and experience with Grier and Rohn.

Best wishes, congrats and welcome to any incoming walk-ons!

"
By Pat Rooney | prooney@prairiemountainmedia.com | Boulder Daily Camera
June 7, 2020 at 1:30 p.m.

The loss of Frank Ryder will not be the only shakeup to the walk-on contingent of the Colorado men’s basketball team.

“We’re going to definitely add a couple walk-ons,” Boyle said. “Obviously Frank has moved on to DU, and I expect the walk-ons that we had to be a part of the program and we’ll work through that as the summer progresses.”

Boyle declined to name the newcomers until he is certain their application status has been cemented, but sources outside CU confirmed the two new walk-ons are expected to be former Centaurus star Owen Koonce and Isaac Jessup from Resurrection Christian in Loveland.

Koonce, a 6-foot-5 guard, averaged 19.7 points and 6.7 rebounds for a Centaurus squad that went 18-7 before losing in the second round of the Class 4A state tournament. A 2020 BoCoPreps.com first team All-Region selection, Koonce shot 56% overall from the floor with an impressive .525 mark (32-for-61) on 3-pointers.

Resurrection Christian was undefeated and in the Class 3A state semifinals when the remainder of the basketball season was canceled due to the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, and Isaac Jessup was a big reason why. The 6-foot-2 guard averaged 16.7 points, 5.2 rebounds, and 4.5 assists for the Cougars while shooting 58% from the floor and .448 (64-for-143) on 3-pointers.
"

You younger 35 yo sports fans can look forward to this, but one of the events that used to make me feel old was the first few times a player, who I followed in college, retired from the pros. Manning was the first I recall of these.

If all you need is someone to develop big men then yes he would be a home run. He is a disaster tactically and at best an average recruiter.

Source: I'm a Wake fan who registered (but apparently never posted) when we made the biggest mistake in program history (Bzdelik). The ridiculous extension we gave Manning as the second biggest mistake.

I'm not sure I consider him a home run either. Solid double, maybe triple. He's an assistant. But he's gonna have to bust his ass recruiting. I do love that it's a minority hire though as our staff is definitely lacking there. But honestly I'd prefer a younger, hungry up and comer than this.

That said, considering what it could have been? I sure as hell won't complain.

We had a staff position open up. Danny Manning was available. Seems like a no-brainer for Tad to pull the trigger. I think everyone should be happy about this one and to not be surprised if he takes another HC job within a year or two at a mid-major.

We had a staff position open up. Danny Manning was available. Seems like a no-brainer for Tad to pull the trigger. I think everyone should be happy about this one and to not be surprised if he takes another HC job within a year or two at a mid-major.

If there's confidence that he will be useful as he needs to be as a recruiter (which Tad is certainly in a better place to evaluate than me) then yes a no-brainer. When Wake hired him, people way overestimated his recruiting chops so just want to highlight that he did little recruiting at Kansas or Tulsa (he inherited a young and full roster there) and was very uneven at Wake. At Wake, pretty much all of his recruits were from the east coast (so those connections won't be too useful at Colorado).

That said, it's hard to imagine that after he was a disaster at Wake and not even that good at Tulsa that he will have a shot at another head coaching job that he would actually take. When he was at Kansas he held out for a long time for one of the better mid-major positions. If he has the same mindset now then he will be an assistant here on out. A program like Tulsa isn't going to hire a sub 0.500 coach, regardless of what his name is.

If there's confidence that he will be useful as he needs to be as a recruiter (which Tad is certainly in a better place to evaluate than me) then yes a no-brainer. When Wake hired him, people way overestimated his recruiting chops so just want to highlight that he did little recruiting at Kansas or Tulsa (he inherited a young and full roster there) and was very uneven at Wake. At Wake, pretty much all of his recruits were from the east coast (so those connections won't be too useful at Colorado).

That said, it's hard to imagine that after he was a disaster at Wake and not even that good at Tulsa that he will have a shot at another head coaching job that he would actually take. When he was at Kansas he held out for a long time for one of the better mid-major positions. If he has the same mindset now then he will be an assistant here on out. A program like Tulsa isn't going to hire a sub 0.500 coach, regardless of what his name is.

What do you make of all the Wake transfers - how much and in what ways do you think Manning is responsible (too easy going/not strict enough, recruiting wrong players, bad system, etc)? You happy with Forbes?

Yeah, I completely agree with the hesitation about Manning filling up our open assistant spot. We need a strong recruiter, and Manning doesn't seem to be that. Like any team, we could use a strong strategist/schemer, but that doesn't seem to fit Manning. At the least though, he could help Battey, and if he's still around, he could really help Lovering. I'm not against Manning, but he is not a home run hire either.

What do you make of all the Wake transfers - how much and in what ways do you think Manning is responsible (too easy going/not strict enough, recruiting wrong players, bad system, etc)? You happy with Forbes?

Yeah, I completely agree with the hesitation about Manning filling up our open assistant spot. We need a strong recruiter, and Manning doesn't seem to be that. Like any team, we could use a strong strategist/schemer, but that doesn't seem to fit Manning. At the least though, he could help Battey, and if he's still around, he could really help Lovering. I'm not against Manning, but he is not a home run hire either.
I think that's the key with Battey, Schwartz and the other 3s-5s on the roster. When this offense (and defense) work best, it's often when we see good movement and court sensibility from the front court guys. I'm counting on Manning to develop them as far as their talents allow as 5-tool basketball players.

I could see Tyler withdraw, he's been disappearing on some recent mock drafts.
I think in a recent interview with Tad he said Tyler signed with an agent that wasn't NCAA certified, so he can't come back. Wright used a certified agent so he is still eligible.

Sam Vecenie has Bey going #40.

Yup, and I think Vecenie's evaluation of Bey is completely fair. I have a bias that thinks he's a little better than given credit for, but still very fair and accurate.

Roberson went first, and I was convinced he was going to go 2nd or undrafted. So who knows...as long as Bey gets drafted, his decision to leave is justified.

One thing I don't get is all this Haliburton love - size is nice, but....without having seen lots of footage, I don't understand why he's so highly thought of.

Oregon just snagged the “No. 8” recruit in the nation, 6’-11” Center Nate Bittle. :mad:

"
BOULDER — Division I college basketball teams were given a firm opening date Wednesday, when the NCAA Division I Council approved moving the start date for the men's and women's season to Nov. 25 for the 2020-21 season.

That, plus some promising statements from officials in California and Oregon, is good news for the University of Colorado men's and women's teams, as it moves the Buffs one step closer to actually opening their seasons.

Of course. CU won't be able to proceed unless Pac-12 decision-makers also reverse course on their August decision to postpone all competition until at least Jan. 1. But that now seems to be a better possibility than it was a few weeks ago, especially given how the landscape has changed.
"

In our occasional debate about coach-for-life over the years, I had placed Marshall in my elite tier of Coach K, Izzo, etc. for their accomplishments and status. BUT...I don't think anyone is surprised that he's a prick. Twenty years ago, this is all just swept under the rug and deemed part of the course, so good for society that pricks like him are outed for their immature behavior. Our adults, especially those guiding our youth, need to act like...well, adults.

I doubt it really helps us, but wonder how it affects Grady Dick's recruiting. Everyone's money is probably on KU, but the kid is from near WSU I believe.

Back