What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2020 CU football season POSTPONED until Nov 6th?

Tweeted Brian to ask-if he responds I'll post it here. I'd be shocked if we can do anything organized given the CDC guidelines and stay at home orders that in place throughout Denver/Boulder right now. Wonder if @ChaseSI knows anything on that question or if we'll get extra practices in the fall to make up for not having spring ball.
Nothing organized. Most guys have gone home.

How would CU cope if the season had to be played behind closed doors and without fans?

As that’s what the scientists here are saying could happen. They’re basically saying it’s the very last thing you can bring back.

First, consider the amount of contact between players in that sport coupled with a virus thats capable of airborne spread. This is also a sport known for spitting on and bite each other. And plenty of bleeding.

Second, all the players playing the sport live in a petri dish of a shared weight room, practice facility, dormitory, campus setting.

We've already seen players get it from Basketball and Soccer. Though we dont know if they brought it in from the outside or got it from player to player contact.

I think they will *try* to play the season. I think it will be canceled once and if infections start spreading within teams. Thus, I see the possibility of isolation in player only dorms, etc.

I dont see attendance being good.

I do see a demand for the guy at home who wants something to watch.

First, consider the amount of contact between players in that sport coupled with a virus thats capable of airborne spread. This is also a sport known for spitting on and bite each other. And plenty of bleeding.

Second, all the players playing the sport live in a petri dish of a shared weight room, practice facility, dormitory, campus setting.

We've already seen players get it from Basketball and Soccer. Though we dont know if they brought it in from the outside or got it from player to player contact.

I think they will *try* to play the season. I think it will be canceled once and if infections start spreading within teams. Thus, I see the possibility of isolation in player only dorms, etc.

I dont see attendance being good.

I do see a demand for the guy at home who wants something to watch.

Again, social distancing is the only way to stop the spread of this thing until we can either a) get a treatment out there for people with this or b) develop a significantly more widespread testing scheme than what we've got now. It won't be around in the fall.

So, we’re going to be *fat and slow whenever we can resume, that’s exactly what we need right now :-/

EDIT: *extra

Here’s something else in the event it’s not played. If you are in some school paying 20k a year (or worse) and you see guys on full rides based on the idea they play a sport that provides the school revenue....but there is no sport... is that hard to stomach they go for free? If there is no football these guys should have to pay like everyone else. Just because you were lucky enough to be born ridiculously athletic doesn’t mean you shouldn’t have to pay if you don’t play. IMO.

Here’s something else in the event it’s not played. If you are in some school paying 20k a year (or worse) and you see guys on full rides based on the idea they play a sport that provides the school revenue....but there is no sport... is that hard to stomach they go for free? If there is no football these guys should have to pay like everyone else. Just because you were lucky enough to be born ridiculously athletic doesn’t mean you shouldn’t have to pay if you don’t play. IMO.
It certainly is your opinion

Mike Florio from Pro Football Focus says coaches are telling him off the record they don’t expect the season to start until November or December. No chance of college football if that’s the case for the NFL.

I'm operating on the assumption that there will be no college football this season. Pro athletes are more likely able to socially distance themselves while the same cannot be said for college athletes who could be around quite a few other college students and given the spring break beach partying, I think that would be for the best of young people at this point.

I think a very good investment would be a videogame console and their sports videogames.

Brain Kelly said on espnthat if we don’t have players playing in 90 days time, college football could be affected.

No doubt the quality of play might not be great but that is expected more out of the NFL than the college ranks. I think August first will be a key date to watch for. Hope CU’s players are busting their balls in conditioning while at home.

I think it depends on a lot of things but there will be great pressure and desire to regain normalcy. I’d think having crowds at events won’t happen until there are no new cases for a period of time, readily available, rapid result testing is available and good treatments are in place.

I think NFL will have a season and college football won’t. NFL will play without fans. But it’s impossible for the NCAA to make amateur athletes play during a health crisis.

Brain Kelly said on espnthat if we don’t have players playing in 90 days time, college football could be affected.

No doubt the quality of play might not be great but that is expected more out of the NFL than the college ranks. I think August first will be a key date to watch for. Hope CU’s players are busting their balls in conditioning while at home.

Without any weight equipment or coaching. I Agree that August is critical as thats when practices should start.

We've pretty much lost the spring practices and weight room time. Im sure the NCAA calendar is not conducive to making up time lost in the spring over the summer. I honestly think this COVID thing gets uglier newswise in the next month or two and that scares off a lot of programs out of an abundance of caution. Other programs out there will probably try to force practices and activities. I think you also see players not showing up for things out of fear. That leads to ugly situations between them coaches and fans. This could be the end for programs that are financially struggling, particularly at smaller private schools that lack tax payer backing. WWIIs disruption ended football for Gonzaga, American University, Creighton, and others.

Public high schools are probably more likely to err on the side of caution than D1 schools since there isnt TV money in it for them. If there is no fall HS football thats going to raise huge questions about the next recruiting class. That right there will cause a ripple effect down the road. Spring sports were already canceled for Baseball, Track, Golf, Swimming, Lacrosse, Soccer so some scholarships and recruiting time will be impacted there if thats any guide.

Last edited:
I think NFL will have a season and college football won’t. NFL will play without fans. But it’s impossible for the NCAA to make amateur athletes play during a health crisis.
this is a reasonable prediction.

I'm guessing pro athletes who are in prime physical shape, with millions on the line in incentives and endorsements, are much much more likely to be willing to play.

I'm assuming NFL players would get their base salaries whether or not they play the season, but if not, it supports this reasoning even more.

I think it depends on a lot of things but there will be great pressure and desire to regain normalcy. I’d think having crowds at events won’t happen until there are no new cases for a period of time, readily available, rapid result testing is available and good treatments are in place.
I think we need the vaccine first.

I think we need the vaccine first.

A treatment would go a long way, and is probably way more realistic. Give it a week-ish and we should know about the remdesivir trial in Nebraska. If the MLB/MLS predictions of mid-May to June hold resumptions hold true, I think football will be fine.

Obviously. The entire NBA has been through thorough testing, though. I could see them resuming in 2 months in front of no fans if players and other team personnel remain relatively unaffected.
Testing doesn't have to be cheap, just fairly fast and I think they could set something up for pro basketball games fairly quickly. What do they need, like <50 people in the building to run and televise a game? Everyone tested that AM, then assuming they're all negative, play the game that evening.

Ratings for any live sports would be through the roof right now.

Not saying anything can be done about this, but I expect injury rates to be substantially higher (specifically in CFB) whenever we return to play. Your body needs to be regularly conditioned (especially through practice) to play this sport safely. In CFB where there is often a larger disparity between strength, athletic abilities, and the physical maturity of players, there will definitely be a spike.

Not saying anything can be done about this, but I expect injury rates to be substantially higher (specifically in CFB) whenever we return to play. Your body needs to be regularly conditioned (especially through practice) to play this sport safely. In CFB where there is often a larger disparity between strength, athletic abilities, and the physical maturity of players, there will definitely be a spike.
Even if they do return to team workouts in August, that's 5 months of essentially no serious lifting, assuming all regular gyms remain closed. A lot of guys have trouble working out on their own in normal times, let alone when the country is shut down and there is no access to workout equipment.

It may take a year or years before there are no new cases.

A meandering article that suggests some of the smaller programs could be in serious trouble if we dont play this fall. Big events like WWII and The Great Recession did in some programs. Normal times wiped out others.

The Empire of Japan's attack on Pearl Harbor in December 1941 pulled the United States into the global turmoil that became World War II.

The following four years completely changed the world's complexion, from elements as critical as national leadership to those as ultimately frivolous as college football. The sport's history ties into that of World War II in some fascinating ways; two books to consider picking up during novel coronavirus, or COVID-19, social distancing are Lars Anderson's The All Americans and Brian Curtis' Fields of Battles.

College football resumed during the war, and the rush of young men enlisting in the Armed Services contributed to one of the greatest dynasties in the sport's history flourishing at Army West Point. A variety of college football programs also ceased operations, particularly in the early phases of American wartime.

The 1941 season marked the last for American University, Gonzaga, and Providence College. After the 1942 campaign, Creighton and Manhattan College folded.

During the worst phases of the Great Recession, college football lost three Div. I programs: Iona after the 2008 campaign and Hofstra and Northeastern both following the '09 season.

[Even in normal times] The graveyard of defunct college football programs includes a variety of Cal State universities, some that were still active only a generation ago. Long Beach State ceased operations in 1991, with a roster that included eventual Pro Football Hall of Famer Terrell Davis. A year later, Cal State Fullerton — a program that finished 11-1 just eight years prior — closed up shop.

Last season, the [San Jose State] Spartans sprung one of the biggest upsets of 2019 when they shocked Arkansas, 31-24. The win came with a $1.5 million payday for San Jose State athletics, too — and that equaled nearly six percent of the university's entire athletic budget of $26.5 million, based on 2018 figures.

Cancellation of the 2020 NCAA Tournament leaves questions about the $821.4 million in TV and marketing revenue and $129.4 million in ticket sales the NCAA reported in 2018 were distributed through member institutions. The share smaller athletic departments receive is a substantial hit to their budgets.

So the big question, if we dont play college football, is will the Conference and Athletic Departments still get paid or make payments?

This is a concept thats most certainly included in the Pac12s Media Rights contract.

Force majeure (/ˌfɔːrs mɑːˈʒɜːr, -məˈʒɜːr/ FORSS mah-ZHUR, -⁠mə-ZHUR; French: [fɔʁs maʒœʁ]) – or vis major (Latin) – meaning "superior force", also known as cas fortuit (French) or casus fortuitus (Latin) "chance occurrence, unavoidable accident",[1] is a common clause in contracts that essentially frees both parties from liability or obligation when an extraordinary event or circumstance beyond the control of the parties, such as a war, strike, riot, crime, plague, or an event described by the legal term act of God (hurricane, flood, earthquake, volcanic eruption, etc.), prevents one or both parties from fulfilling their obligations under the contract. In practice, most force majeure clauses do not excuse a party's non-performance entirely, but only suspend it for the duration of the force majeure.[2][3]

It's my understanding that there are cases where insurance policies are purchased, on both sides, to protect themselves from lost revenue. My guess is those policies will be going up in price following the cancelation of the NCAA's March Madness tournament. We will not see the dollar payouts for these until conferences file their 2020 tax returns in 2021.

Nobody is gonna sue because of the already small number of entities that can sit at the table and participate in these kinds of monster deals. There are only 5 major conferences and only about 3 powerful broadcast networks (Disney, Fox, CBS). So, everyone needs to remain happy.

If we are still in major containment phase, then I’d propose playing in empty stadiums, with all players, refs, coaches, and cameramen tested prior to each game (assuming world has solved its test kit supply issue by fall). Ultimately, though, it’s the players choice.

if the season is cancelled I'm in favor of granting another year of eligibility but without the scholarship, assuming classes resume and players can still make progress toward their degrees.

Back