What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2020 CU football season POSTPONED until Nov 6th?

Watching the new Hard Knocks and the NFL is the model for everything CFB should be going forward, from the perspective of central leadership and every team in every conference being governed by one body.

Watching the new Hard Knocks and the NFL is the model for everything CFB should be going forward, from the perspective of central leadership and every team in every conference being governed by one body.
I think I just heard you cheering Roger Goodell. Shocking!

why do you feel this way?

I'm on the record as being opposed to a central governance system for college football and favor letting each conference continue autonomously. This system worked just fine until the powers-that-be started trying to create something else in the late 1990s. I see no issue why it wouldn't well in the future (assuming the conference leadership takes steps to undo some of the steps made toward a central leadership).

what is the problem you see with letting the Pac12 provide governance for their teams, the B1G take care of their own, etc..? Is it all about a consensus national championship? i'm asking that second question specifically, because if that goes away, all the problems with the ACC and SEC playing in the Fall while the Pac and B1G play in the Spring seemingly become moot.

Responding to a wave of canceled checks after news broke of a potential shutdown, NCAA officials reminded boosters Wednesday that full bribes were still due to their respective teams even if the Division I FBS season was canceled. “It’s unfortunate that we may not get to play football this year, but you still have a responsibility to grease our palms,” said NCAA president Mark Emmert, reaching out to boosters to clarify that even without a season, the need for a new field house and the mortgage payments on his vacation home do not go away.

onion link

I'm on the record as being opposed to a central governance system for college football and favor letting each conference continue autonomously. This system worked just fine until the powers-that-be started trying to create something else in the late 1990s. I see no issue why it wouldn't well in the future (assuming the conference leadership takes steps to undo some of the steps made toward a central leadership).

what is the problem you see with letting the Pac12 provide governance for their teams, the B1G take care of their own, etc..? Is it all about a consensus national championship? i'm asking that second question specifically, because if that goes away, all the problems with the ACC and SEC playing in the Fall while the Pac and B1G play in the Spring seemingly become moot.
I'd say a full on pandemic is a pretty simple way of explaining they need central governance.

The system worked just fine until it became big business. Now we have players trying to unionize and get paid from revenues and their likeness (but it seems to be different strategies in different conferences), coaches making ridiculous salaries and bailing on contracts after a year for more money, the competitive balance is worse than it's ever been, facilities that are out of control, ADs piling up massive amounts of debt in attempt to keep up with conference "peers", wildly inconsistent officiating across the different conferences, completely different scheduling requirements across conferences (which definitely makes a difference when it comes to rankings and perception), massive TV revenue gaps, inconsistent punishments for breaking the rules, etc.

Oh, I forgot to add the global pandemic and the fact that the conferences can't get on the same page and develop consistent protocols for testing, contact tracing, isolation/quarantining, contingency plans if someone gets sick, which conferences are playing and which are not, which medical professionals and advice are being listened to and how the data and advice is being interpreted.

I'd say a full on pandemic is a pretty simple way of explaining they need central governance.
i'm not connecting the dots.

you seem to be implying that there is a need for a central decision making process on whether the conferences play because of Covid. I'm not seeing the harm in letting each conference be autonomous. where's the disconnect (other than coordination of the consensus MNC)?

The system worked just fine until it became big business. Now we have players trying to unionize and get paid from revenues and their likeness (but it seems to be different strategies in different conferences), coaches making ridiculous salaries and bailing on contracts after a year for more money, the competitive balance is worse than it's ever been, facilities that are out of control, ADs piling up massive amounts of debt in attempt to keep up with conference "peers", wildly inconsistent officiating across the different conferences, completely different scheduling requirements across conferences (which definitely makes a difference when it comes to rankings and perception), massive TV revenue gaps, inconsistent punishments for breaking the rules, etc.

Oh, I forgot to add the global pandemic and the fact that the conferences can't get on the same page and develop consistent protocols for testing, contact tracing, isolation/quarantining, contingency plans if someone gets sick, which conferences are playing and which are not, which medical professionals and advice are being listened to and how the data and advice is being interpreted.
all of that makes complete sense.

none of that explains why the decision needs to be made at a national level vs at a conference level. unless you're just hung up on the consensus MNC.

all of that makes complete sense.

none of that explains why the decision needs to be made at a national level vs at a conference level. unless you're just hung up on the consensus MNC.
Huh? There needs to be equitable rules across all conferences for scheduling, coaching salaries, officiating, players unions and now pandemic/emergency responses, and that won't ever happen unless there is a central governing body.

...There needs to be equitable rules across all conferences for scheduling, coaching salaries, officiating, players unions and now pandemic/emergency responses...
why? this is the question I've been asking all along. I'm not seeing this need that you are perceiving.

why? this is the question I've been asking all along. I'm not seeing this need that you are perceiving.
Well, the need is clear, IMO, with pandemic and emergency responses, along with players unions, paying players, transfer rules, officiating and scheduling requirements.

I guess the other stuff with TV revenue which leads to awful competitive balance, massive coaching salary gaps, staff salary pools, facility upgrades, etc are mostly wants from me

It depends on if you think competitive balance is important. I guess you don't, since you've suggested the natty is a culprit rather than a goal.

Not quite so much for Americans whose lives were spent with an economic system based on "charge what the market will bear".

Good perspective you bring, IMO.

It is absolute and complete ****ing nonsense that football players should be tested daily to save the NFL's business model while Average Joe who has legit reason to think he may have been exposed and healthcare workers can't.

you seem to be implying that there is a need for a central decision making process on whether the conferences play because of Covid. I'm not seeing the harm in letting each conference be autonomous. where's the disconnect (other than coordination of the consensus MNC)?
Name me any other sporting organization that doesn't have a central governing body? College football is the only one and its a massive **** show. Part of why we are where we are is because of this. I guess if you are a HC of a P5 School or one of the top 15 or so Schools, then you love this model.

Name me any other sporting organization that doesn't have a central governing body? College football is the only one and its a massive **** show. Part of why we are where we are is because of this. I guess if you are a HC of a P5 School or one of the top 15 or so Schools, then you love this model.
first, the PAC, SEC, B1G, ACC and XII are not one organization. they are five organizations, with different rules, different regions, different budgets and different fan bases (i.e. they are playing different sports even if the name of the sport conventionally doesn't change)

so to answer a modified version of your question, here's some analogs for this elsewhere in sports:
  • Professional football. NFL, XFL, CFL, even go back to the USFL and Arena League (fûck, even throw in the Dream League) -- they never have had a central governing body
  • Small-school intercollegiate basketball. NAIA and NCAA DIII have no central governing body
  • US High school athletics. there is no central governing body over all 50 states
it appears this model of no central governance is in place at all levels of sports in North America.

first, the PAC, SEC, B1G, ACC and XII are not one organization. they are five organizations, with different rules, different regions, different budgets and different fan bases (i.e. they are playing different sports even if the name of the sport conventionally doesn't change)

so to answer a modified version of your question, here's some analogs for this elsewhere in sports:
  • Professional football. NFL, XFL, CFL, even go back to the USFL and Arena League (fûck, even throw in the Dream League) -- they never have had a central governing body
  • Small-school intercollegiate basketball. NAIA and NCAA DIII have no central governing body
  • US High school athletics. there is no central governing body over all 50 states
it appears this model of no central governance is in place at all levels of sports in North America.
All of those leagues have or had central governing bodies, except for P5 football. The hell man

This is a little simplified and maybe disingenuous.
  1. The NFL, XFL, CFL, USFL, Arean, and Dream do not play each other. Each respective league has a central governance structure. All the teams in the league abide by the rules set by that governing body.
  2. NAIA, NCAA DII and DIII all have their own independent board of governors. They have a central governance structure that sets the rules for all teams in that division.
  3. US High School athletics have a central governance model in each state. All schools / school districts that play in that state, abide by the rules set in those states. Cross state games are rare, and reserved for the elite of the elite.
  4. D1A has a board of governors. They will be meeting soon to determine the direction of their season.

D1 or FBS or whatever you want to call it, is the only MAJOR sports league without a central governance structure of some kind. Either the NCAA needs to grow some balls and set some rules for that ALL teams abide by, or the P5 needs to breakaway and do it themselves. There are always going to be inequities in college football because there is no salary cap (yet) or shared revenue (yet), but the system as it is allows some teams to game the system in a way that isn't seen in any other level of sports.

All of those leagues have or had central governing bodies, except for P5 football. The hell man
the difference is that you're considering the P5 to be a 'league'. i'm not and I see little justification for your perspective. I view each of those conferences as independent entities playing by their own rules just the same way the CHSAA and the UIL are independent entities playing by their own sets of rules.

this may belong in the politics thread, but I'll park it here. SIAP

has begun recruiting Big Ten and Pac-12 athletes following Tuesday’s decisions by those conferences to postpone all fall sports, including football, because of the coronavirus pandemic.

nj.com source

note, I'm not familar with nj.com, but upon reading the full article it appears they're being a little loose with the term 'recruiting', but the spirit of the message is there.

It is absolute and complete ****ing nonsense that football players should be tested daily to save the NFL's business model while Average Joe who has legit reason to think he may have been exposed and healthcare workers can't.

True. It is also absolute and complete ****ing nonsense that anyone in this country with symptoms or exposure risk can't get tested and have results within a day, but here we are.

the difference is that you're considering the P5 to be a 'league'. i'm not and I see little justification for your perspective. I view each of those conferences as independent entities playing by their own rules just the same way the CHSAA and the UIL are independent entities playing by their own sets of rules.
No. Your comparison of CHSAA would be like the different leagues in 5A football all having their own set of rules, scheduling parameters, officials, etc. CHSAA is the central governing body. You're also not taking into consideration that all P5 programs are, in theory, competing for the same playoff and national championship (even though the competitive balance is SO bad in CFB that only 11 programs have ever actually made it to the CFP and only 6 programs have ever played for the CFP championship).

It has to be local conference decisions For Covid. P12 has to consider community spread, testing and resource issues in LA, Seattle, SLC, PHX etc. That’s different than Starkville, Obford, Athens, Gainesville, etc.

this may belong in the politics thread, but I'll park it here. SIAP

https://www.nj.com/yankees/2020/05/...e-yankees-giants-and-jets-with-open-arms.html

nj.com source

note, I'm not familar with nj.com, but upon reading the full article it appears they're being a little loose with the term 'recruiting', but the spirit of the message is there.

For what it is worth, I think many of the college football decisions are driven by politics and/or money. For the Mountain West and smaller conferences, a season with no pay-off games v. larger schools, little tv exposure, and no fans (no money at the gate or concessions); the risks far outweighs any benefits. For the Pac-12, I do think politics is somewhat at play, as California and Washington are just not opening up anything soon. Their governors are keeping things closed down . . . I'm not sure if they are right or wrong, (if you look at the CoVid numbers in California, I can certainly understand the sentiment), but I do think that the pressure comes down from the top. The PAC had to stay together, so we just have to accept the decision. The conclusion that I have learned with CoVid is that we are still learning so much, and everything is a leap of trial and error.

Back