What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2020 Rocky Mountain Showdown (CANCELED) at Canvas Stadium

Sure this question has been asked and debated to the Nth degree but what happens when the Non Conference opponents in FB and BB try to leverage a buyout of the game. How detailed are game contracts regarding cancellation due to unforeseen circumstances and public health safety?

Covid 19 is outside of a reasonably foreseeable event, which allows everyone to wiggle out of these games.

Big question now is what happens to the ATM series? I don't see them coming to Boulder next next year unless a return game is worked out.

If the CSU contract requires a return game be scheduled, and ATM is off, 2021 seems like an easy fix.

But I'd look to nuke the 2023/24 CSU series, use one of those years to play at ATM. And the other to fulfil the @CSU.

Lots of blown up home and home series this year across all P5 schools. I think there will be plenty of additional opportunities for G5 schools to play one off road games and make $1+ million in the next few years.

Last edited:
Big question now is what happens to the ATM series? I don't see them coming to Boulder next next year unless a return game is worked out.

If the CSU contract requires a return game be scheduled, and ATM is off, 2021 seems like an easy fix.

But I'd look to nuke the 2023/24 CSU series, use one of those years to play at ATM. And the other to fulfil the @CSU.

Lots of blown up home and home series this year across all P5 schools. I think there will be plenty of additional opportunities for G5 schools to play one off road games and make $1+ million in the next few years.

Here's my guess on the OOC makeups-
Fresno: Doesn't ever happen. Game has been pushed back 3 times-13 was the Boulder floods, we delayed this game a year to move Air Force up (I can't remember why), and now this year.
CSU: Depends on how badly RG thinks we need the $1m they were going to give us to play them up there. More likely than Fresno State to be played, but not a sure thing.
A&M: SEC rules say they have to play one power 5 OOC, so next year's game isn't going to be impacted. My guess is we go down there on September 6, 2025 (scheduled to visit Houston on that day as of now) and push the Houston roadie back to 2029.

Fresno: Doesn't ever happen. Game has been pushed back 3 times-13 was the Boulder floods, we delayed this game a year to move Air Force up (I can't remember why), and now this year.
CSU: Depends on how badly RG thinks we need the $1m they were going to give us to play them up there. More likely than Fresno State to be played, but not a sure thing.
A&M: SEC rules say they have to play one power 5 OOC, so next year's game isn't going to be impacted. My guess is we go down there on September 6, 2025 (scheduled to visit Houston on that day as of now) and push the Houston roadie back to 2029.
All makes sense.

As @Creebuzz stated the contracts are going to be pretty easy to void if they want to without substantial penalty.

One other option that I haven't heard but here goes.

This season is going to result in huge revenue losses across college football. This pandemic may be used as an excuse to allow every team to schedule one extra game to make up missed games and to enhance revenue. May be introduced as a "temporary" measure that after 4-5 years becomes permanent with teams playing 13 instead of 12.

All makes sense.

As @Creebuzz stated the contracts are going to be pretty easy to void if they want to without substantial penalty.

One other option that I haven't heard but here goes.

This season is going to result in huge revenue losses across college football. This pandemic may be used as an excuse to allow every team to schedule one extra game to make up missed games and to enhance revenue. May be introduced as a "temporary" measure that after 4-5 years becomes permanent with teams playing 13 instead of 12.

I like that idea. I think we could see leagues all go down to eight conference games for a few years to give people opportunities to make these games up.

View attachment 38014
giphy.gif
One of the best posts I’ve seen on here and that is saying something lol

Please don't mention Fresno.

The sadness over at Ramnation is immense. There's a dawning realization that the folly of the stadium and the heightened financial reliance on this game (and the other OOC matches) means that COVID is going to likely kill their program.
Things Ive read recently; The common cold comes from the Coronavirus family. Covid19 shares about 85% of the same genetic make up as the common cold version. The RNA sequence in Corona viruses make it extremely difficult to create a vaccine. The virus is airbone and spreads easily especially among people in close physical contact.

If we dont play this fall at all there will be no TV money. There is likely a one time insurance pay out that covers that for probably half of what we would have gotten. And hopefully the insurer doesnt file bk. Right there OSU and WSU could be in trouble. After that if there is no football again In fall 2021 there are a few programs around the P12 that will also not survive. Unless the states or feds bail out the athletic departments.

With infections rising like they have over the summer its hard for me to see the fall season being played without tremendous risk to the players. Im sure there are ADs trying to convince themselves the risk is worth it versus the cost. Presidents and regents are going to pull them back to reality. Maybe things are better by spring For football.

Phase 3 lists the potential coronavirus infection risk for high school sports:

HIGHER RISK
Higher risk sports are activities that involve close contact among athletes, along with “lack of protective barriers, and high probability that respiratory particles will be transmitted,” the NFHS guideline reads.

• Wrestling
  • Football
  • Boys lacrosse
  • Competitive cheer
  • Dance

MODERATE RISK
Sports “that involve close, sustained contact, but with protective equipment in place that may reduce the likelihood of respiratory particle transmission between participants.”

Last edited:
If the NCAA allows an extra game the next couple seasons I could definitely see this game being added

If there is a Spring Season and a Vaccine, couldn't this game be added then, something like March 6th to kick off the season?
I want it dead, but everyone needs revenue.

The sadness over at Ramnation is immense. There's a dawning realization that the folly of the stadium and the heightened financial reliance on this game (and the other OOC matches) means that COVID is going to likely kill their program.
Let's be real...I have no desire to play the sheep going forward, but it would suck for college football if they and others like them to lose their program. I hope they figure out a way to survive this mess.

If there is a Spring Season and a Vaccine, couldn't this game be added then, something like March 6th to kick off the season?
I want it dead, but everyone needs revenue.

CSU's lack of revenue is not our problem. I don't want anything to do with them until 2023.

CSU's lack of revenue is not our problem. I don't want anything to do with them until 2023.
It could end up becoming our problem, though. There will be a lot of pressure on RG to help out little brother.

It could end up becoming our problem, though. There will be a lot of pressure on RG to help out little brother.

We can play them in basketball as long as their NET or whatever is high enough and play them 2-4 times a decade (on campus only) then. RG already has been pretty clear with the Denver media on this subject. Jared Polis has better things to do than get involved in this conversation. Nothing will change.

Last edited:
CU is already talking about the possibility of cutting their own sports. How would CU be able to help them?
By playing them.
And I hadn’t heard CU was talking about cutting sports. Where are you seeing this?

The game with CSU is off. PAC 12 has announced conference only schedule, just like the Big 10 did yesterday. No need to discuss a game that won’t happen. The series with CSU is dead. There are games on the schedule in the future, but the annual match up is now over.

I read this and just laughed myself thinking about Midnight Mel will have no ability to recruit, no ability to coach or practice and he has to play the B10 all year long and most likely has to fill in his OOC with the teams they weren’t supposed to play! 😂

We might be in the same **** situation but thank god we don’t have Wisconsin, Iowa, OSU, Michigan, Minnesota and Penn State in our conference.

EDIT: they have all those but Wisconsin before this, holy **** that’s glorious.

By playing them.
And I hadn’t heard CU was talking about cutting sports. Where are you seeing this?
I guess it was mainly speculation by Rooney. Still seems like a decent possibility.

I guess it was mainly speculation by Rooney. Still seems like a decent possibility.

CU can only cut one sport and stay a FBS program. It won't be a women's program due to Title IX.

Hate to say it but skiing could be the next one to go because right now if two or three more skiing schools cut skiing, it is no longer a NCAA sponsored sport. New Mexico just cut their skiing program recently. It's a good bet that more schools will drop skiing soon.

Men's golf or men's indoor track and field are the most likely to go if skiing doesn't get the axe.

CU can only cut one sport and stay a FBS program. It won't be a women's program due to Title IX.

Hate to say it but skiing could be the next one to go because right now if two or three more skiing schools cut skiing, it is no longer a NCAA sponsored sport. New Mexico just cut their skiing program recently. It's a good bet that more schools will drop skiing soon.

Men's golf or men's indoor track and field are the most likely to go if skiing doesn't get the axe.
Men's and Women's skiing are completely connected budgetwise. Aside from a limited number of scholarships there would be almost no savings by cutting the men and keeping the women since they use the same coaches, training staff, travel together, etc.

If skiing gets dropped by the NCAA CU will have to add a different women's sport or get a waiver from the NCAA, which considering the budget issues across college sports will probably be granted for CU and for multiple other schools. That would still leave some title IX issues though.

Think about if CU this heavily impacted by this budget hit what will it mean to schools like CSU that are already deeply in the red for athletics.

I’ll miss playing CSU every year. Going to CU from ‘13-‘17 probably helped since we didn’t get to play Nubs every season so it’s really the only real rivalry game we got every season. It was a fun way to start the season.

I am looking forward to the new OOC teams. Northwestern, A&M, Minnesota and Florida will all be awesome games. I’d like for CU to schedule more Nubs games as well.

I’ll miss playing CSU every year. Going to CU from ‘13-‘17 probably helped since we didn’t get to play Nubs every season so it’s really the only real rivalry game we got every season. It was a fun way to start the season.

I am looking forward to the new OOC teams. Northwestern, A&M, Minnesota and Florida will all be awesome games. I’d like for CU to schedule more Nubs games as well.
It mattered to you during that time frame because we mostly sucked, save for 2016 as an anomaly. It was a game that shouldn't matter, but mattered then when we went 4-1 from 2013-2017 when we sucked.

Please put this in perspective.

Speak for yourself. Twice a decade is more than enough of the sheep for my tastes.

Luckily Ram Fan on twitter is still in "CU is afraid to play us" mode, and hasn't let a global pandemic or decisions on a conference level get in the way of talking about it.

Edit - holy ****, those delusional mother****ers at sheepnation are discussing whether or not they'll get credit for a W because we're "forfeiting" the game. :unsure: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Back