What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2020 Women's basketball general off-season news thread

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Saw the below tweet, so thought I'd start this general catch-all thread for WBB's off-season.

(Re the below, these kind of things are often HARD to confirm for general fans, but I do know we've used this Twitter poster as a source for multiple new commitments and offers that have turned out accurate, so assume this has a pretty good chance of being accurate.)

If it is true, best wishes to Ms. Clark where ever she ends up (although I'd prefer of course she end up staying in Boulder if it makes her and the team happy).

Saw the below tweet, so thought I'd start this general catch-all thread for WBB's off-season.

(Re the below, these kind of things are often HARD to confirm for general fans, but I do know we've used this Twitter poster as a source for multiple new commitments and offers that have turned out accurate, so assume this has a pretty good chance of being accurate.)

If it is true, best wishes to Ms. Clark where ever she ends up (although I'd prefer of course she end up staying in Boulder if it makes her and the team happy).

I wonder about Annika Jank? Don't understand where her minutes went. I hope her minutes increase next year.

I do hope this is not true about Clarke as when she is hot, she can hit from anywhere.,

Also, I believe the NCAA might change the rules next month and enable athletes to transfer without sitting out one year, regardless of the reason. Would being in the portal now conflict with any change?

Finally, thanks for starting this post. Might be the only basketball we can talk about for awhile.

On another note, this is my third year watching the Buffs and two years in as a season ticket holder. And my name is not Petr.

With that said, I am hoping the Buffs change how they play defense. They played some games with good defense but more often than not, wide open three point shots were made. One game, a player went around two picks chasing an opponent who made a three point shot. The other players just watched. Another game, an opponent made a three point shot and I saw the look of amazement on the opposing coaches' face that particular player made a three point shot.

I believe if they would play defense more consisently, the WNITs would be expected and NCAAs would be reachable.

I hope you are not Petr. :D If you are, your posts will get much longer and become hate filled about a certain player.

I would also like to know what happened to Annika's minutes and will be interested to see what she decides to do. I don't know if it matters to kids, but she does only have one year of eligibility remaining.

We definitely have to improve on 3 point defense. Every team in the Pac knew the Buffs couldn't defend the 3.

For whatever reason, by the end of the season, they couldn't hit a 3 either.

If true that i too bad about Emma. I suspect Sherrod will be better next year, but who do you guys seeing taking the next step that will allow the team to be more competitive in the pac 12. I have no ideal. I am still kind of pessimistic about most of the players on the team after seeing the end of the season. Hope the freshman are a step up in talent

If true that i too bad about Emma. I suspect Sherrod will be better next year, but who do you guys seeing taking the next step that will allow the team to be more competitive in the pac 12. I have no ideal. I am still kind of pessimistic about most of the players on the team after seeing the end of the season. Hope the freshman are a step up in talent
I think Aubrey Knight will get more minutes. Maura Singer is tall and fit so I am curious what she will contribute. I am also rooting for Kai Volcy as I like her attitude.

On another note, we am hunkered down so I wonder what the basketball players are doing? Taking classes online? Trying to figure out how to get home?

I do trust JR to look after the team. I suspect she would let them live in her house if need be.

I think most are back home as the entire campus is closed. George said most athletes are gone except for the international ones who could not leave

JR has had international players staying at her home over Christmas break, etc., when the dorms are closed. I'm sure the international players are being taken care of.

My guess would be the other players are home. I saw on Instagram that Sila Finau was home.

JR has had international players staying at her home over Christmas break, etc., when the dorms are closed. I'm sure the international players are being taken care of.

My guess would be the other players are home. I saw on Instagram that Sila Finau was home.
Now for a Petr moment. I am glad or hoping the basketball players are at home given some CU students chose to have a St. Patrick's Party in Boulder. You can send someone to college but does not mean they learn anything,.

As for the International players, this must be a difficult situation. But as you all pointed out, I am sure JR is doing her best for them.

Something is very wrong here. Emma was a player this staff was all in on; they had done everything to develop her and put her literally on a pedestal. For her to transfer is a serious message about this program.

Brian howell Tweeted another WBB player is in the portal. Did not give the name. I just can't see why players don't stay in the program any more. I am not going to beat a dead horse so do not take it that way but the team is always young because every year 2 or 3 key upperclassmen leave. that needs to stop

The second player is Kai Volcy and article said she put her name in the portal during the season. Also says she wants to concentrate on academics.

I don't know if that means she isn't going to play hoops or what exactly. Even at D3, playing basketball takes a lot of time away from academics.

The second player is Kai Volcy and article said she put her name in the portal during the season. Also says she wants to concentrate on academics.

I don't know if that means she isn't going to play hoops or what exactly. Even at D3, playing basketball takes a lot of time away from academics.
I guess I wont be able to cheer on Kai Volcy going forward. Bummer. Same with Emma Clarke.

Congrats to AztecBuff for scooping Brian Howell on Emma Clarke's transfer.

Going to need Singer and Smith to step up and be able to contribute next year. I do not know who CU has coming in on the front court but it looks pretty thin on paper

Clarke made a fairly quick decision, and without getting a chance to see Lubbock in person before committing.

It will be interesting to see if JR & Co. bring in anyone new.

Fascinating to me how athletes choose their schools especially when transferring. I hope she did get to visit Lubbock first but you are probably right. Gonna be a transition. I hope she is a Buddy Holly fan. With that said, the Texas Tech team seems on the upswing. But instead of Oregon, you get Baylor.

PS>I wonder if Kai Volcy will follow Peyton Carter to Elon. I believe Elon recruited Kai and is a very good academic school.

I think in person recruiting is prohibited. Only phone, text and snail mail.

Coaches looking to plug holes in their rosters with transfers are also in a jam without being able to show players around their campuses. Daniels estimates there are around 300 transfer players on the men’s basketball market alone right now, many of whom may be choosing their next schools based solely on relationships they have made over the phone, unless they wait until late May or early June to take visits.
Even then, as Maryland women’s basketball coach Brenda Frese said over the weekend, no one knows what campus visits will look like.

“For all of us, we’re looking at — if our kids don’t come back to campus, which we don’t know, how do you host recruits without your players and students?” Frese said.

Unless she went to Lubbock before the end of the season (don't see when she had time), she hasn't been to Lubbock for a visit.

This was already noted above, but wanted to note that Texas Tech has now formally announced Emma Clarke is joining their school/ team.

Tayanna Jones, a 6-foot-2 wing from Georgetown University, has given her commitment to join the Buffaloes next season.

Jones will have two seasons of eligibility and will be able to play immediately if the NCAA approves a one-time transfer waiver, as expected.

Last season with the Hoyas, Jones played in 27 games, with three starts. She averaged 5.1 points and 3.3 rebounds in 16.7 minutes per game. As a freshman, she averaged 2.5 points in 11 games played.

In case any WBB fan out there hasn't noticed ……. Muffet McGraw announced her retirement after 33 years as HC at Notre Dame. To be replaced by Niele Ivey.

Ivey played at Notre Dame and player. My guess is this had been in the works for a while. I think many people are taking a look at their life and determining our values.

Last season could not have been fun for Muffet.

I will never forget the lovely breakfast I shared with Muffet in December 1994 in Seattle. CU was playing in a tournament at Washington and the 3 visiting teams were all staying at the same hotel. The breakfast area was small. I was alone at a table for two. Muffet came in and there were no open seats, so she invited herself to join me. I said yes and we had a lovely chat that morning. She talked a lot about her dreams for Notre Dame. I'd say she fulfilled those dreams.

In case someone has not heard, Maura Singer suffered another ACL towards the end of the season. She had ACL surgery. It was considered elective surgery so she had to wait to get it.

She is not expected to play this season.

Brian Howell just put out a tweet that Texas Tech is being investigated for a hostile environment, including making fun and ripping of international players. Feel for Emma. I wonder if she wished she did not transfer now.

Brian Howell just put out a tweet that Texas Tech is being investigated for a hostile environment, including making fun and ripping of international players. Feel for Emma. I wonder if she wished she did not transfer now.
Here's a link to the USAToday story

Back