What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2021 Pac 12 Tournament Thread

How much do you think the committee will use these NET rankings? I think they have some value but then I see Colgate at #9 and I think again.

The Patriot League is an exception this year because they played, but only played a conference season. I don't get Colgate being that high in the NET either, but my guess is the fighting toothpaste (or whoever wins that league) will probably wind up in the 14-16 range on Sunday. My hope was we'd wind up 1-3. Got that done. If we get to Friday, I think we're a solid 5-7 in the NCAA tournament.

The Patriot League is an exception this year because they played, but only played a conference season. I don't get Colgate being that high in the NET either, but my guess is the fighting toothpaste (or whoever wins that league) will probably wind up in the 14-16 range on Sunday. My hope was we'd wind up 1-3. Got that done. If we get to Friday, I think we're a solid 5-7 in the NCAA tournament.
I don't disagree with your seeding predictions, but my point was that the NET was specifically developed to help the committee in making these selections. They purposefully replaced the RPI and weighted different criteria to establish the NET and while there's no hard and fast rule that insists that the seed be established based solely on the NET rankings, it will be considered heavily.

Therefore, I think the Buffs (and Colgate, FWIW) will get a boost on the seed line because of the high NET ranking.

I think if we make the Pac 12 Championship, we're a 5 seed. I think if the right things break around us and we win the whole thing, we could even see a 4 seed.

Of course we could also lose our opener and drop to an 8 seed.

I don't disagree with your seeding predictions, but my point was that the NET was specifically developed to help the committee in making these selections. They purposefully replaced the RPI and weighted different criteria to establish the NET and while there's no hard and fast rule that insists that the seed be established based solely on the NET rankings, it will be considered heavily.

Therefore, I think the Buffs (and Colgate, FWIW) will get a boost on the seed line because of the high NET ranking.

I think if we make the Pac 12 Championship, we're a 5 seed. I think if the right things break around us and we win the whole thing, we could even see a 4 seed.

Win tourney 4-5 seed
Win two 5-6 seed
Win one 6-7 seed
Lose first 7-8 seed

Depends on what happens with Cal-Stanford Wednesday. Stanford's record is 14-12. They're 70th in the NET right now. If they win Wednesday and then beat us, I think we're not gonna get hurt by that too bad. That's a Q2 loss, and we're 7-0 against Q2, and 10-4 against the first two quadrants this year. If Cal beats Stanford and then beats us, that's another Q3 loss. We have three of those already. We take another, we're an 8-9. Stanford gets us.......meh. Still think we're a 7. If we get to Friday, we're a 6, and that means a fairly good chance we get a play-in winner (which could be little brother-wouldn't that be fun?)

season 4 win GIF by Billions

Which is ironic - the coaches do not want to face this Buffs team. They can beat anyone in the country on a given night - I believe they have the third most wins of any team in the top 25.

Very few actual coaches vote on a week to week basis. Most of the time it's passed to an assistant or even the SID. Pretty sure Bobby Bowden used to have an intern do it.

Very few actual coaches vote on a week to week basis. Most of the time it's passed to an assistant or even the SID. Pretty sure Bobby Bowden used to have an intern do it.
It’s also only a sampling of 32 coaches. The coaches poll is almost meaningless.

With a current NET ranking of 12 we would be a 4-5 seed if the tournament started today. Math says 3 is possible, but that seems unlikely with us being under the radar. The PAC 12 tournament probably can’t improve that much, though would solidify a 4 if we won. If we lose to Cal I don’t think we go lower than 6 or 7. NET ranking has closely resembled actual seeding.

With a current NET ranking of 12 we would be a 4-5 seed if the tournament started today. Math says 3 is possible, but that seems unlikely with us being under the radar. The PAC 12 tournament probably can’t improve that much, though would solidify a 4 if we won. If we lose to Cal I don’t think we go lower than 6 or 7. NET ranking has closely resembled actual seeding.

Let's just hope Cal loses to Stanford so we can stop talking about losing to them again. I think if we're playing Friday-we're no lower than 7.

Day 1 predictions:

I like WSU over ASU. Scum Devils seem done. You don't give up damn near 100 pts to Utah and turn around and spark a season-saving run. WSU has had 11 days off since last playing... asu.

Cal over Stanford. If Da Silva plays, I like Stanford, but losing 4 in a row and watching your bubble pop in real time has got to take its emotional toll on a team. Cal doesn't have much to play for, but kicking your rival while they're down is fun.

Utah over Washington. UW needs to shoot 50%+ from 3 to beat anyone and I don't see that happening. Scoring 98 pts in your last game helps you feel right, even if you're going into a big empty arena.

If Da Silva is out and Stanford beats Cal things are looking good for the Buffs. If not Tad better get a plan for Bradley that works. Crazy as it sounds Cal is the only team in the bracket we haven’t beaten.

I don't really give a ****. Just win.
I feel like we can beat anyone in the tournament field. In fact CU is the only team in the Pac that has a victory over all 11 other conference teams this season. USC doesn't because they didn't beat us. UCLA doesn't because they didn't beat USC, Oregon, or Stanford. Oregon doesn't because they didn't beat USC either (or Wazzu). Arizona doesn't because they didn't beat Oregon. UCLA, Stanford or Utah. All other teams have fewer than 11 wins so you know none of them did either.

we actually beat Cal by 30, which makes the turd in Berkeley even more head-scratching

Actually, the Cal loss made sense to me in that we had just played our best game of the year, we were playing a team that we had destroyed just a month or so previously, and we let down like that at least once a year. Throw in that it was a road game and that Cal had a kid get hot, and it was a foreseeable result.

Hopefully we don't have any more letdowns in us this year.

Just dropping in to say that Remy Martin is a net negative more often than not. He has skills and quickness that make him tough to defend, but his shot selection and ball control hurts ASU more than it helps them. He's a volume shooter that doesn't make enough of those shots to justify the percentage of shots he takes.

Back