What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2022 NCAA Tournament Thread - WOMEN'S Bball (1st round- #7 seed Buffs facing #10 Creighton, Iowa City; Friday, March 18, 11:30 AM MT)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Obviously much more information to add (I'll be editing this thread and post A LOT), but figured I'd start this now as it was just announced the Buff women have earned a #7 seed, and will be facing off against the #10 seed Creighton Bluejays in the 1st round. (They're in the Greensboro region for which South Carolina is the #1 seed.)

The winner of the Buff's 1st round game will face the winner of #2 seed (and host) Iowa and #15 Illinois State.

Full bracket - https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/basketball-women/d1/2022

Go Buffs!!!
________________________________________________________________________________________________

More on the opponent(s):

Creighton (The Bluejays):
Roster
- https://gocreighton.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster
Stats - https://static.gocreighton.com/custompages/w-basketball/2122/teamcume.htm
Schedule - https://gocreighton.com/sports/womens-basketball/schedule/2021-22
Their preview article - Not available as I type this.
________________________________________________________________________________________________

Media links:

Vs. Creighton:
Live video
- Game is scheduled to be shown on ESPNews. For anyone with a subscription that includes that channel, I'm guessing the game will also be viewable on the ESPN App, or through a link at https://www.espn.com/watch/ . (Looks like the direct link will be https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/id/bbe19917-c888-494b-b38d-7359094ae193 .)
Live Stats - https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/game?gameId=401414470 and/ or https://www.ncaa.com/game/5981655 .
Live audio - In addition to being available on 630 AM in the Denver/ Boulder area and maybe other stations in the Buff radio network, assume a free audio stream for the games will be available at https://cubuffs.com/watch/?Live=2675&type=Live.
Games notes - https://cubuffs.com/documents/2022/3/15/Colorado_Notes_3_18.pdf

Last edited:
Congrats Ladies!

Happy Hailee Steinfeld GIF by Pitch Perfect

Article after the Buff's selection -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2022/3/13/womens-basketball-colorado-returns-to-the-ncaa-tournament.aspx

"
BOULDER—The Colorado women's basketball team will enter the 2022 NCAA Tournament as a No. 7 seed in the Greensboro Region. The Buffaloes will play the No. 10 seed Creighton Bluejays on Friday, Mar. 18 in Iowa City, Iowa.

Television coverage and tip times will be announced later tonight.

"All week we felt like we did what we needed to do to have our name called," head coach JR Payne said of CU's selection. "There is really nothing that compares to seeing your name actually pop up. I think the black and gold kind of shook everybody for a second, but we're really honored and excited for the opportunity."

The Buffs draw the No. 7 seed for the third time in what is now 14 trips to the NCAA Tournament. It is CU's first time in the NCAA Tournament since hosting the first and second rounds in 2013.

"We honestly were just excited to be in the field," Payne exclaimed. "We didn't really necessarily know or care what seed we were or who we were going to play. We were just excited to be part of it. I think [the seeding] speaks to the way we're playing right now, winning eight of 10 games and the only two losses coming against the No. 2 team in the country. We're playing really good basketball and it's great for our team to be recognized in that way."

Colorado (22-8) is enjoying its best season since the 2012-13 campaign. The Buffs opened the season 13-0 and was the last undefeated DI men's or women's team in the country. CU cracked the AP top 25 three times, peaking at No. 22., before suffering its first loss.

Fifth-year senior Mya Hollingshed earned her second All-Pac-12 honor and led CU's offensive efforts with 14.1 ppg this season. The addition of Washington transfer Quay Miller was felt throughout the season as she was named the Pac-12's Sixth Player of the Year and honorable mention Pac-12. Kindyll Wetta made her mark this season, becoming the first player since the Pac-10 became the Pac-12 to earn All-Freshman and All-Defensive accolades.

"This is always why I came back," Hollingshed said about using her fifth year. "This experience. This moment with my teammates. With my sisters. Lesila [Finau], Peanut [Tuitele], Aubrey [Knight] who hasn't been able to play—but just for them to experience that so we can actually go to the Dance and everything we're talking about, this is what basketball is all about."

The Buffs picked up their first Pac-12 Tournament win since 2018 last week with an opening-round win over Washington. CU turned around and beat No. 14 Arizona 45-43 in a defensive struggle before bowing out to eventual Pac-12 champion Stanford in the semifinals.

"A little girl's dream came true [today]," senior Peanut Tuitele said after Colorado's selection was announced. "I know a lot of my teammates probably felt the same. I'm just happy. The excitement is just so real at this moment. You can't even replace it with anything else. It's so awesome."

The postseason trip will be CU's second in a row. Last season the Buffs made a run into the third round of the WNIT. The last time CU had back-to-back postseason berths was the 2013 NCAA Tournament and the 2014 WNIT.

Colorado is 17-13 all-time in the NCAA Tournament and has advanced to the Elite Eight three times, the last coming in 2002. CU's last NCAA Tournament win came in the second round of the 2003 tournament against North Carolina (86-67) in Boulder. The Buffs are 1-2 all-time as a No. 7 seed, beating Eastern Illinois in 1988. CU was also a No. 7 seed in 1992.

Creighton (20-9) finished third in the Big East this season. It will be the first meeting between the two schools since 2011. Each team has won two games apiece in the series, dating back to 1987.

The Pac-12 landed six teams in the field of 68. Stanford earned a No. 1 seeding in the Spokane Region, while Arizona got slotted as the No. 4 seed in the Greensboro Region. Utah (7) joins Stanford in the Spokane Region, while Oregon (5) represents the conference in the Wichita Region. Washington State (8) will play out of the Bridgeport Region.

Ticket information will be released as it becomes available.
"

Last edited:
Per info I found on the ESPN schedule, looks like the Buff- Creighton game is scheduled to begin at 11:30 AM MT (12:30 PM CT), with tv coverage on ESPNews.

I have just added some media info and links to the original post, as well as links (roster, schedule, etc.) for those interested in learning more about Creighton.

Just checked the NET rankings, and at least per those Friday's game could be a nail biter, as the Buffs (#29 right now) head into the tourney VERY close to the Bluejays (#32) in those rankings.
(I'm too lazy to see if there are analyses as to how accurate NET has been found to be compared to some other rankings, with Massey being the ratings I've checked in the past (since those also cover MANY Sports I follow). In Massey, the Buffs are #24, while Creighton is #40.)

The Iowa (NET #13) - Illinois State (NET #119) game follows the Buffs', with a scheduled start of 2:00 PM MT (3:00 local/ Iowa time). (It's scheduled to be shown on the main ESPN channel.)

I really think we can beat Creighton. I am actually happy we are playing early on Friday. I don't drive at night much so I can watch at least the first half of the Iowa game before leaving on Friday.

Creighton beat Arizona State and stayed close to UConn the first time they met. They lost in the first round of their conference tournament. It may be a nail biter, but we do have an excellent defensive team.

I honestly do not think the Buffs can beat Iowa. Not only do they have Caitlin Clark, but they have Monica Czinano at center. She is big and talented. We don't have anyone who can stay with her. If Clark can't hit her shots, she dishes to Czinano. We can't stop both of them and the other players score enough points that it will be very difficult to pull off an upset in Iowa City. Iowa averages 84 points per game. They are not good on defense and their game plan is to out score the other team. They shoot 84% from the line.

Clark seems to take as much pleasure from assists as she does from scoring from the logo. The role players are pretty good.

I really think we can beat Creighton. I am actually happy we are playing early on Friday. I don't drive at night much so I can watch at least the first half of the Iowa game before leaving on Friday.

Creighton beat Arizona State and stayed close to UConn the first time they met. They lost in the first round of their conference tournament. It may be a nail biter, but we do have an excellent defensive team.

I honestly do not think the Buffs can beat Iowa. Not only do they have Caitlin Clark, but they have Monica Czinano at center. She is big and talented. We don't have anyone who can stay with her. If Clark can't hit her shots, she dishes to Czinano. We can't stop both of them and the other players score enough points that it will be very difficult to pull off an upset in Iowa City. Iowa averages 84 points per game. They are not good on defense and their game plan is to out score the other team. They shoot 84% from the line.

Clark seems to take as much pleasure from assists as she does from scoring from the logo. The role players are pretty good.
I agree. Caitlin Clark is so, so good. She’s fun to watch.

Clark is the only reason I will be in Iowa City on Sunday whether or not the Buffs are playing Iowa.

It's hard to get tickets even during the regular season. They have a huge season ticket base and let them have first crack at tickets. Of course, there were also allocations for the other three teams.

As soon as the announcement was made, I was on the website. Only single tickets remained.

I did follow the CU link and I could have bought tickets without being a season ticket holder. I'm guessing the actual seating will be based on priority points.

My mobile tickets that I bought from Iowa have arrived and I got them in to my Apple wallet. I hope I did that correctly.

Apparently CU has no more tickets left from their allotment. Just to see, I tried this morning and like said there are no tickets on sale.''''

Now I have to figure out how to listen to the CU radio broadcast through the phone I guess. Can anyone of you tech people advise on how I do that?

I checked the parking. Friday should be easy since the students are on spring break so the closer lots are open and we play the early game.

Sunday might be a nightmare.

President Obama's bracket has Creighton beating Colorado. We will prove him wrong.
I picked us to beat Iowa only to lose to Iowa State because it would be the epitome of being a CU fan to give me a few days of thinking we were on top of the world only to be quickly reminded that we're not allowed to have nice things.

Preview in front of tomorrow morning's (at least MT) scheduled game - https://cubuffs.com/news/2022/3/17/womens-basketball-buffs-put-in-final-preparation.aspx

"
BOULDER—The Colorado women's basketball team will enter the 2022 NCAA Tournament as a No. 7 seed in the Greensboro Region. The Buffaloes will play the No. 10 seed Creighton Bluejays on Friday, Mar. 18 in Iowa City, Iowa.

Tip is set for 11:30 a.m. MT and will be on ESPNEWS. Beth Mowins and Christy Thomaskutty will be on the broadcast.

"All week we felt like we did what we needed to do to have our name called," head coach JR Payne said of CU's selection. "There is really nothing that compares to seeing your name actually pop up. I think the black and gold kind of shook everybody for a second, but we're really honored and excited for the opportunity."

The Buffs draw the No. 7 seed for the third time in what is now 14 trips to the NCAA Tournament. It is CU's first time in the NCAA Tournament since hosting the first and second rounds in 2013.

"We honestly were just excited to be in the field," Payne exclaimed. "We didn't really necessarily know or care what seed we were or who we were going to play. We were just excited to be part of it. I think [the seeding] speaks to the way we're playing right now, winning eight of 10 games and the only two losses coming against the No. 2 team in the country. We're playing really good basketball and it's great for our team to be recognized in that way."

Our team is ready," Payne continued. "We feel like it's time to get going. It's time to play."

The Buffs' last game-action came back on Mar. 4, in the semifinals of the NCAA Tournament. Since then the team, which felt comfortable in its NCAA Tournament status, has been practicing without the knowledge of an opponent. That changed last Sunday when Colorado drew Creighton on ESPN's selections show.

"This is a unique experience for our ballclub," Payne added. "To all of a sudden have to learn an entirely new team [Creighton], an entirely new conference [BIG EAST] and an entirely new style of play. It's all very different than what we're used to. We have been very cerebral and locked in on trying to learn and understand who is Creighton? We've taken a very businesslike approach to our preparation. It's been a great couple days of practice and we're zeroing in our focus on where it needs to be."

The Buffs and Bluejays have faced off four times in series history. Both teams have two wins apiece with the Buffs taking the last meeting, 52-49, in 2011. Both of CU's wins over Creighton have come on a neutral court. But with no recent history, Coach Payne said the best Pac-12 comparison that fits Creighton is Utah.

"Creighton is a very unique team," Payne explained. "I think across the country they're a unique team and they're really good at what they do. They're different than the teams we play in our conference with the closest similarity being Utah because they also shoot the ball well and have a lot of versatility in their lineup. Our preparation has been very detail-oriented. To guard Creighton, you have to be excellent in your fundamentals."

Carver-Hawkeye Arena has been announced as a sellout for Friday's games.

Beth Mowins and Christy Thomaskutty will call the game for ESPN. Cory Lopez and CU Hall of Famer Shelly Sheetz will be on the Colorado Radio Network and AM 630 locally, starting with the pregame show at 11 a.m. MT.
"

(Note - I have added more media info and links to the original post.)

The opening tip is only ~3 hours away!

Buffzone (Brian Howell) preview with more on both the Buffs and Blue Jays -

Buffs have it down to a 2 point game (41-43) early in the 3rd. They were hurt bad late in the 2nd with probably their 3 main offensive weapons (Hollingshed, Sherrod and Miller) on the bench with 2 fouls.

Can anyone explain to me why the **** we took all of our time outs into the half there?

Up 9 to down 5 and nothing . . .

Buffs down 8 going into the 4th quarter (53-61). Must be disheartening for the Buffs that they lost ground in the 3rd quarter in spite of only missing a few shots all quarter.

The defense is going to have to get some stops.

Dribble pass slowly for 16 seconds, jack up a garbage 3.

Massive size advantage inside

Jack up another 3

woof

Back