What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2023/24 LACROSSE general off-season news thread (Season opener hosting the Louisville Cardinals Sunday, February 11th.)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
I always like to set up these threads for all the sports to account for any off-season and fall (for this sport) scrimmage and training period news.

With the season over for a week or two for the Buffs, there will be a little catch-up to do.

1st, just a quick look back with some summary numbers from this past season:
Record - 11-8 overall; 7-3 in Pac 12 play, and made it to the Conference Championship game after wins over Oregon and Stanford..
RPI - Per https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/lacrosse-women/d1/ncaa-womens-lacrosse-rpi, The Buffs were rated #46 in the latest (dated 5/6) release, with 126 (up from 118 last season) D1 teams fielding a team.

(Note- Not that I find myself caring much since they're bolting for the Big 10, but still wanted to note that, after USC (the only team named to the 29 team Championship bracket) lost in the 1st round of the NCAA tourney to the #5 seed DU Pioneers, there is no Pac 12 representation left in the Championships.)
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Some of the 1st team-related news was that Coach Elliott-Whidden being named an assistant coach to the Under 20 U.S. National team that will be competing in the World Championships NEXT summer in Hong Kong.

Congrats and best wishes to her!

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/5/10/...med-assistant-coach-to-u20-national-team.aspx

"
BOULDER - Head lacrosse coach Ann Elliott Whidden was named as an assistant coach for the 2024 U.S. Women's U20 National team, USA Lacrosse announced today. The team will compete in the 2024 World Lacrosse Women's U20 Championship in Hong Kong, China next summer.

This isn't Whidden's first time working with Amonte Hiller, the head coach of the U20 National team. Whidden was an assistant coach on Hiller's U19 staff in 2019.

"I am excited to get the chance to work with the U20 National Program again and with Kelly Amonte Hiller," Whidden stated. "This was such a special experience for me four years ago and I cannot wait to get started. To get to work with and represent the US alongside such a talented group of young athletes and the future of our sport is an honor."

Hiller was also Coach Whidden's head coach while Whidden was a player at Northwestern, where she won three national championships ('05,'06,'07). Whidden then worked as an assistant coach with Hiller at Northwestern, adding three more national championships to her record (09',11',12'). After that, Whidden left the Wildcats to begin Colorado's lacrosse program in 2012.

"The opportunity to work with Kelly again, one of the best coaches of all time, and the incredible staff she has put together is very exciting for me personally," Whidden said. "I always learn so much and am challenged in new ways. The opportunities to represent your country and work with such a talented group of athletes and staff don't come around that often, so I feel very fortunate for this and look forward to getting started this summer!"
"

Last edited:
Most of the post-season news I've seen so far has been various acolades awarded to 5th (Covid) year senior Charlie Rudy, both for her past (being named to various teams) and future (being drafted into the pro league).

Congrats to her for ALL her news and honors!

1st, all the teams and honors she's been awarded since the end of the season. (Note that in the Conference Tournament thrread, I'd already posted about her being named Pac 12's Attacker of the Year, and 1st Team All-Conference. I also just posted that she, along with 5th year senior goalie Grace Donnelly and junior Morgan Pence, were named to the All-Tournament Team.)

Article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/5/11/lacrosse-rudy-earns-iwlca-second-team-all-region-award.aspx

"
BOULDER - Charlie Rudy scooped up another award today as the Intercollegiate Women's Lacrosse Coaches Association (IWLCA) announced their Division I All-Region Teams. Rudy was named to the Second Team from the West/Midwest Region.

With the honor, Rudy is eligible to be named to the IWLCA's All-American team which will be announced on May 25th.

The fifth-year notched 66 goals this season, setting a new personal career high, and she led the team and the Pac-12 in goals. She scored a goal in 18 out of 19 games and scored three or more goals in 15 games this season. Rudy finished 11th in the NCAA in goals per game with 3.47.

Rudy also was third on the team in assists with 17 this year for a total of 83 points this season. In addition to leading the team and the Pac-12 in goals, she also led both in points. The attacker ended her season at 29th in the NCAA in points per game with 4.37.

On Tuesday, Rudy was selected in Athletes Unlimited's College Draft for their third lacrosse season that starts July 20th. If she chooses to play, she'll be the second player from Colorado to compete in the league.
"
__________________________________________________________________________________________

And, Ms. Rudy has also received an opportunity to continue playing at the highest level, being 1 of only 11 who were selected to play in the summer pro league -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/5/9/rudy-drafted-for-athletes-unlimiteds-third-lacrosse-season.aspx

"
BOULDER - Charlie Rudy was one of eleven players drafted for Athlete's Unlimited's third lacrosse season, the league announced tonight.

AU's lacrosse league features 56 athletes. Almost every action on the field either earns a player points or loses them points. Each week, a new draft between the 56 athletes is held and the teams are mixed up. The four players with the most points become the following week's captains and pick their teams in a snake draft format. Players are ranked individually and one player takes home the crown at the end of the league.

Rudy would be Colorado's second lacrosse athlete to play for Athletes Unlimited. Defender Sarah Brown played in 2021 and CU's past assistant coach, Nicole Levy, also played in AU's 2021 and 2022 seasons as an attacker. Brown ended the 2021 season at 21st while Levy finished 15th in 2021 and 21st in 2022.

Rudy, a fifth-year attacker, had a standout final season with the Buffs. The Novato, Calif. native had her highest scoring season in 2023, putting away 66 goals and earning 83 total points with her goals and 17 assists. Rudy led the Pac-12 in both goals and points and finished 11th in the NCAA in goals per game with 3.47.

The attacker also moved into second in CU's career history in goals with 194, trailing Darby Kiernan who holds first with 210 goals.

Rudy earned a large number of accolades this season. She was named Pac-12 Offensive Player of Week for the weeks of March 21st and April 17th, earned Pac-12 Attacker of the Year and was named Pac-12 First Team All-Conference, was named to the Pac-12 All-Tournament Team, earned CU's Female Career Athletic Achievement Award at the 2023 CUSPY's, and received honorable mention from the USA Lacrosse Magazine's All-American list earlier today.

On top of her accolades, Rudy led the team for most goals in a single game this season, when she scored seven against USC in a 16-13 loss. Rudy also achieved 15 hat tricks out of 19 games this year, going on an eleven game streak where she scored at least three goals in a fixture.

"I am thrilled to be drafted and given this opportunity along with all of these amazing players," Rudy said after being selected. "I can't wait to see what the future holds for this league!"

Athletes Unlimited's third lacrosse season begins July 20 at USA Lacrosse Headquarters.

"

Believe I already posted 1 or both of these in another thread, but a couple tweets related to the lax team spring 2023 graduates.

Again, best wishes to them!

if Cu moves to the big 12, it will be interesting to see what conference the Lacrosse team ends up in. I hope it is the the MPSF conference. It would be good if they could join the big 10 like John Hopkins is or stay in the pac 12

if Cu moves to the big 12, it will be interesting to see what conference the Lacrosse team ends up in. I hope it is the the MPSF conference. It would be good if they could join the big 10 like John Hopkins is or stay in the pac 12

Been wondering that myself too. Here is what I think the options are:

1. Stay in Pac-12...best option.
2. Big Ten (possible but nearest school is Northwestern while the rest are in the eastern time zone).
3. Big East (travel partner with Denver)
4. Independent.

Been wondering that myself too. Here is what I think the options are:

1. Stay in Pac-12...best option.
2. Big Ten (possible but nearest school is Northwestern while the rest are in the eastern time zone).
3. Big East (travel partner with Denver)
4. Independent.
yeah, I dont like the big east for travel. I get there is more travel in the big 10 but to me that would be a better option and might get them known a little more in the east coast where all the talent is. I dont know if they can get enough good opponents as an independent. I think the small schedule, like 4 non conference games this year hurts them. I like the big 10 or staying in the pac 12 if is still around

Last week, now graduated lax Buff Charlie Rudy was CU's female winner of the Pac 12's top award (that combines athletics and academics), the Tom Hansen Conference Medal. (Each Pac 12 school earns one honoree per gender. As I've previously noted in the skiing thread, alpine skiier Filip Forejtek is this year's male honoree.)

Congrats to her!

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/6/29/...ceive-pac-12-tom-hansen-conference-medal.aspx

"

Links​

SAN FRANCISCO - Colorado's Filip Forejtek and Charlie Rudy were announced as the university's Pac-12 Tom Hansen Conference Medal recipients today.

The Hansen medal is the top academic honor that the Pac-12 awards. The medal is granted annually to each member institution's graduating male and female student-athlete based on the exhibition of the greatest combination of performance and achievement in scholarship, athletics and leadership.

This marks the second consecutive year that a Colorado lacrosse player received the award and the third time in five years that a female lacrosse player earned the honor, with Sadie Grozier and Sarah Brown being past recipients, respectively. The last time a male skier from Colorado earned the honor was Petter Reistad in 2018.

Naming conference medal winners has been an annual tradition since the 1960-61 academic year. In 2009, the Pac-12 officially renamed the award the Tom Hansen Conference Medal in recognition of Hansen, who retired at the end of June 2009 after he'd served for 26 years as the Commissioner of the Pac-10.

Charlie Rudy (Lacrosse):

A five-time Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Week, Rudy capped off her Colorado career with an outstanding season, leading the Pac-12 in goals and points while racking up 15 hat tricks in 18 games, and finished 11th in the NCAA in scoring. The 2023 Pac-12 Attacker of the Year scored 173 goals in her Buffs' career–the second-most in program history. The three-time All-Pac-12 honoree also earned All-American Honorable Mention and was drafted by Athletes Unlimited.

Rudy leaves an impressive academic legacy as a four-time Dean's List member, eight-time Athletic Director's Honor Roll, three-time Pac-12 Academic Honor Roll, and two-time 4.0 Club. After earning a degree in Strategic Communication with a Minor in Information Science, she maintained a 3.6 GPA while getting a Masters of Science in Business Analytics.

As an active member of the community, Rudy volunteered with CU's Women's and Girls In Sports Day, CU's Read With The Buffs, and Team Impact.
"

Hope the team has a productive AND FUN time in the Netherlands!
(One interesting and cool thing regarding this trip is I can't remember any of the other CU teams that have taken international trips is they are including graduating players (looks to mean student-athletes that graduated and/ or ran out of eligibility this past May?) in the trip. Sounds like it is because of a 2020 scheduled trip being cancelled due to Covid.)

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/7/6/lacrosse-buffs-announce-foreign-trip-to-the-netherlands.aspx

"
BOULDER – The Colorado lacrosse team will partake in a one-week trip to the Netherlands from July 20th-27th. While there, the team will compete against Holland and Germany's national teams.

NCAA programs are allowed to take foreign trips once every four years, and this will be Colorado lacrosse's first trip to Europe. The tour marks the second foreign trip that the lacrosse program has taken; the first was to Australia in the 2016.

"We are very excited to be able to take the team to Europe this summer," head coach Ann Elliott Whidden commented. "Our last foreign tour was in 2016 and was extremely beneficial for our team, leading to our best start in program history and first NCAA bid. We had planned to go to Japan and the Olympics in 2020 but the trip was canceled due to Covid. I have been looking to create another opportunity for our team since then and this summer is the perfect chance and perfect time for our program."

The team's trip will be slightly different than their 2016 foreign trip because the program's graduating class will be travelling to the Netherlands as well.

"We are very fortunate to be able to bring our graduating class and incoming freshmen. Our graduating class has meant so much to our program and this is a wonderful way for us to send them out," Whidden said.

In addition to the graduating class, CU's incoming first years will also be able to go on the foreign tour and compete with their new teammates.

"For our incoming freshmen, it will be a great way for them to start building relationships with their teammates and learn about our team culture prior to the start of the fall," Whidden said. "We are looking forward to the experience of playing internationally as well as exploring a different country and learning about their culture together. This will help our team grow on many different levels and give us a good foundation to build off this season."
"

Their trip update (This update by Buff attacker Taylor Smith. It also intersperses Instagram posts for photos) -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/7/24/lacrosse-keeping-up-with-the-buffs-netherlands-blog.aspx

"
NETHERLANDS - After a long day of traveling, we finally landed in the Netherlands on July 21st! As a team, we practiced at the local club in Amersfoort, walked to a nearby restaurant for our first dinner abroad together, and got settled into the hotel. My teammates and I couldn't wait for tomorrow's full day of adventures to start!

—AND FINALLY, on July 22nd, our Netherlands adventures were here at last!!!! In the morning, our team hit the ground running with our first game and win against Germany. We played according to the International Lacrosse Rules, which were slightly different from the NCAA rules (one of the main changes was that it was 6v6 instead of 7v7). It was a super cool experience, especially being able to interact with our foreign opponents after the game. Meeting new people and exchanging information and stories about each of our cultural norms was extremely fascinating. It definitely piqued my curiosity for the world because I realized there are so many different places with unique cultures to discover and immerse ourselves in. This realization made me feel a massive wave of gratitude for lacrosse because it's not just a sport; it's also giving me the opportunity to explore a part of Europe and expand my perspective on the world——such an invaluable experience!
"

It will be interesting to see what conference CU ends up in since the big 12 does not sponsor Lacrosse

Been wondering about that too.

Assume/ hope that relations stay good enough so that the Buffs can just stay in the Pac ## for lacrosse. (They're already adding 2 lacrosse only members this coming season in San Diego State and UC- Davis, I assume so that help keeps the conference above the minimum 5 teams that wouldn't have been met once/ if USC leaves next year (I assume they will since the Big 10 does have that sport).)
(Of course, if either Oregon or ASU, who also field teams, end up in the Big 12, that could affect what might happen.)

Just looking quick at other options:
  • DU is in the Big East, so CU might be attractive in allowing teams to get 2 conference matches when visiting the Denver area might be sellable. Of course, that conference would mean equate to a lot of east coast trips to visit other conference members.
  • Otherwise, the Buffs could ask future conference-mate Cincinnati (the only other Big 12 school I could see that has D1 lacrosse) to see if their conference, the AAC, might be an option, (although that would mean pretty much every opponent would be on the east coast)..?.
(With only 126 D1 schools in lacrosse as of last season (vs. high 300's in sports like soccer and volleyball), there are a lot less conference options for lax.)

Why would we have to leave the Pac-12 for WLAX? I think if they lost us, the conference wouldn't have enough teams. Also, without us and USC it's not a good conference anymore.

Why would we have to leave the Pac-12 for WLAX? I think if they lost us, the conference wouldn't have enough teams. Also, without us and USC it's not a good conference anymore.
they are adding SDST and UC davis next year. I dont know if the pac 12 will want CU as they are pretty pissed right now. Playing in the big 10 would give CU more exposure on the east coast where most of the Lacrosse recruiting is done.

CU will also not be the only B12 team to sponsor WLAX since Cincinnati has WLAX and plays in the American Athletic. Looking at where the other AAC teams are located, I do not think the AAC is an option for CU WLAX.

Rooney mentions PAC-12, B1G, or Big East as homes for WLAX.
If there's a way to join the B1G in WLAX to build connections, that's the way to go. There's such an uncertain future as we look into the 2030s that I think it's important to have relationships with the folks who will be in the driver's seat for whatever is the next evolution.

Congrats to all the honorees!

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/8/4/lacrosse-11-buffs-achieve-iwlca-academic-honor-roll.aspx

"
BOULDER - University of Colorado lacrosse players Katie Haley, Bailey Hawkins, Jordan Johnson, Sam McGee, Morgan Pence, Liz Phillips, Madeline Pisani, Charlie Rudy, Taylor Smith, Karly van Leer, Sydney Zimmerman have earned IWLCA Academic Honor Roll.

The award marks the third straight spring season that 11 players or more were honored from CU.

The IWLCA honored 949 student-athletes from 96 different institutions with Division I Academic Honor Roll. To be eligible for this honor, student-athletes must be a junior, senior, or graduate student and have earned a cumulative academic GPA of 3.50 or greater.

Full release: https://www.iwlca.org/news_article/show/1280088
"

WLAX should look to join the AAC with Arizona State. That would put us with Cincinnati, the only other WLAX school in the Big 12 conference.

Need 6 for a conference.

WLAX should look to join the AAC with Arizona State. That would put us with Cincinnati, the only other WLAX school in the Big 12 conference.

Need 6 for a conference.

AAC HQ is in Irving where the B12 HQ is as well. Yormark or Aresco can visit the other for a quick discussion on WLAX.

I don't know that they would not. They allow associate members becuase there is only now 8 teams in the conference with Oregon and USC. CU plays alot of big 10 teams and scrimmages Northwestern every year. it would be my first choice

Pretty much just mirrors what's already been discussed in this thread, but a Buffzone/ Pat Rooney article on Buff options for a new conference starting with the 2025 spring season.

I don't know that they would not. They allow associate members becuase there is only now 8 teams in the conference with Oregon and USC. CU plays alot of big 10 teams and scrimmages Northwestern every year. it would be my first choice

CU WLAX in the B1G could be viewed as CU joining the B1G with the rest of the sports in the future and the B1G might want to avoid doing that. But Norte Dame is a B1G member for men's ice hockey.

Reading that Buffzone article...I think the MPSF is where CU WLAX will end up at if the PAC goes away. That or the Big East/AAC imo.

CU WLAX in the B1G could be viewed as CU joining the B1G with the rest of the sports in the future and the B1G might want to avoid doing that. But Norte Dame is a B1G member for men's ice hockey.

Reading that Buffzone article...I think the MPSF is where CU WLAX will end up at if the PAC goes away. That or the Big East/AAC imo.
I hope not the MPSF that is a crap league. I think it will be the big 10 or the big east. I dont think the big 10 cares about what it looks like. I am sure they will make it clear. the pac 12 is adding UC davis this year and they have no shot of getting in the pac 12

Congrats and best wishes to Ms. Dodd. Hope she gets selected to the final squad.

Article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/9/5/lacrosse-emily-dodd-u20-canadian-team.aspx

"
BOULDER – Colorado Women's Lacrosse player Emily Dodd has been named as one of forty finalists for the Under-20 Canadian National team.

After three tryouts that took place across the country in BC, Alberta, and Ontario, Lacrosse Canada announced the women who will be moving onto the final tryout for the U20 Women's Team. The team will be competing in the 2024 Women's U20 Championship that will take place in Hong Kong, China from August 15-24, in 2024.

"I went to the British Columbia tryout and it was a lot of fun," Dodd stated. "This is the first time ever that team Canada has held tryouts in this format, which was awesome and super exciting because that means all girls are seen across Canada."

The freshman, a native of Calgary, joins Lacrosse Canada and will have her first test against the U20 USA team in October. CU's head lacrosse coach, Ann Elliott Whidden, is an assistant coach of the U20 USA Team. The two teams will square off on Friday, Oct. 13 at the USA Lacrosse headquarters in Sparks, Maryland.

"It's really fun to get to play with girls I've always played against at Nationals," Dodd said. "Ann and I were planning our flights last week. This is such an incredible opportunity to play against Ann, and I'm thrilled to go up against the best players in the world."
"

Team announced its off-season scrimmage schedule, the 1st of which is finishing off now.

Artlicle - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/9/28/lacrosse-buffs-announce-fall-scrimmage-dates.aspx

"
BOULDER - The Colorado women's lacrosse team have announced their fall scrimmage dates. Head coach Ann Elliott Whidden and the team have four games spread throughout September and October. Two of the games will be played at home on Kittredge Field.

The Buffs' sole September scrimmage is taking place tonight (9/29) against CU's alumnae, beginning at 6 p.m. Colorado's next home game will take place on October 6th against Regis. Both scrimmages are open to fans.

The squad will head to the Windy City for back-to-back play dates at Northwestern on October 21 and 22. Colorado will play closer to home for their final fall scrimmage game, which will take place against Denver on October 28.

DateOpponentLocationTime MT
Sept. 29AlumnaeKittredge6-8 p.m.
Oct. 6 ***RegisKittredgeTBD
Oct. 21 & 22TBDNorthwesternTBD
Oct. 28DenverDenverTBD

"

*** Edited out Regis scrimmage after tweet in the next post below.

Last edited:
Back