What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'21 CO QB Jake Rubley (Signed to Kansas State)

Wrestling eyes gif
giphy.gif

I think the same thing happened to the Garcia kid who committed to USC, but transferred from California to Georgia

It sure seems to me to be a total waste of time. Isn’t the point of high school and college to educate yourself and put yourself in the best position to succeed in life.
School choice solves all of these problems.

the family Hs the resources to put Jake in a better position. Why the blowback?

This honestly confuses me. He already has a scholarship why so much worry about playing this last season? Study hard, work out, and go into college.
Isn’t it just as simple as It’s a blast. Nothing will get him better than playing games. Then we goes to school he might not okay until he’s a junior. So three years with out playing? That’s not exactly maximizing development Plus chicks dig the big gun. Lol

It seems to me that if a kid resides in the district and goes to the school, he should be able to play. I hat these rulings.

It seems to me that if a kid resides in the district and goes to the school, he should be able to play. I hat these rulings.
My nephew had to sit all of last season here in Iowa. He lived with his dad in PA during the spring semester then came back to Iowa in July. Despite the fact his mother has had continuous residence in Iowa for 20 years, the state said he had to sit for 90 days. I don't feel bad for Jake or his family because this was all about football the whole time. Just stupid.

The reason for the move is irrelevant. If you are student at the school legally by residing in the district, and the student has the grades, then let em play. High school sports needs to get over itself.
So you are okay with high school recruiting? Because that is the reason for these types of rules. I don’t really have a strong opinion either way.

So you are okay with high school recruiting? Because that is the reason for these types of rules. I don’t really have a strong opinion either way.

Sure. Go where you want. Families move into new school districts all the time for better outcomes. Living in the district and being in good standing at school should be the only criteria.

I had a cousin that moved to New York City for high school to go to a performing arts school. They didn’t hold her out of the theater. My brother went to high school in France because he wanted to (which in a fit of red tape ultimately caused him to not receive a high school diploma later in the U.S., although his PhD from Michigan seemed to have compensated.)

Why is everyone so against freedom of movement here? It’s bizarre.

Sure. Go where you want. Families move into new school districts all the time for better outcomes. Living in the district and being in good standing at school should be the only criteria.

I had a cousin that moved to New York City for high school to go to a performing arts school. They didn’t hold her out of the theater. My brother went to high school in France because he wanted to (which in a fit of red tape ultimately caused him to not receive a high school diploma later in the U.S., although his PhD from Michigan seemed to have compensated.)

Why is everyone so against freedom of movement here? It’s bizarre.
Like I said, for me at least, I’m sort of neutral. There are probably valid arguments either way.

Yeah, they never sold their house in CO and his dad ran his CO-based business remotely. I have no problem with it.

Might as well come back now.
Depends on where he is in terms of graduation and meeting NCAA academic requirements.

The Iowa school district will not transcript credits if he doesn't finish the semester with them. Most school districts will not give credit for classes if the student transfers in after missing a substantial part of the semester. In this case he would be coming in after missing close to half the semester.

Result would be that he doesn't get much if any credit this semester. That could leave him short of his graduation requirements or short of his required core classes for eligibility in college.

You're such a loser. You and everyone else openly rooting against a 17 YEAR OLD KID who just wants to play football should be ashamed of yourselves. When I was in high school, if I was told I couldn't play in my state because of a virus but you could play on the moon, I would gave begged my parents to get me there to play.

I tend to agree with CreeBuzz that if you actually move there, it shouldn't be a big deal. But they made the ruling they did, and it is what it is. But for a bunch of ****ing jaded old ****s, who either haven't played a down in their lives or have entirely lost sight of what it is to be a 16-17 year old kid, to spike the football on Rubley is absolutely reprehensible and they need to take a long look in the mirror.

You're such a loser. You and everyone else openly rooting against a 17 YEAR OLD KID who just wants to play football should be ashamed of yourselves. When I was in high school, if I was told I couldn't play in my state because of a virus but you could play on the moon, I would gave begged my parents to get me there to play.

I tend to agree with CreeBuzz that if you actually move there, it shouldn't be a big deal. But they made the ruling they did, and it is what it is. But for a bunch of ****ing jaded old ****s, who either haven't played a down in their lives or have entirely lost sight of what it is to be a 16-17 year old kid, to spike the football on Rubley is absolutely reprehensible and they need to take a long look in the mirror.
No,

Mostly I am rooting against the dad who because he has the financial means thinks that rules shouldn't apply to his wonderful kid. This is HS sports, not a prep school for future pros. If he wants his kid to get star treatment then send him to one of the football factories like IMG.

What about the 17 year old kid who lived in that town most of his life, busted his but all year to get ready to be the starter for his HS team this year (in what is probably his senior year) who all the sudden gets pushed aside by some hotshot from out of state because daddy wants his boy to get the limelight.

Covid sucks for everybody and adjustments are being forced on everybody but I don't feel the least bit bad that a kid who moved for no other reason than to play football and who has zero connections to the school other than his passing arm doesn't get to play.

If you want to feel sorry for Rubley feel sorry that he has a dad who has lost perspective and thinks that his son playing high school football is more important than the rest of the things that go with being a high school senior.

No,

Mostly I am rooting against the dad who because he has the financial means thinks that rules shouldn't apply to his wonderful kid. This is HS sports, not a prep school for future pros. If he wants his kid to get star treatment then send him to one of the football factories like IMG.

What about the 17 year old kid who lived in that town most of his life, busted his but all year to get ready to be the starter for his HS team this year (in what is probably his senior year) who all the sudden gets pushed aside by some hotshot from out of state because daddy wants his boy to get the limelight.

Covid sucks for everybody and adjustments are being forced on everybody but I don't feel the least bit bad that a kid who moved for no other reason than to play football and who has zero connections to the school other than his passing arm doesn't get to play.

If you want to feel sorry for Rubley feel sorry that he has a dad who has lost perspective and thinks that his son playing high school football is more important than the rest of the things that go with being a high school senior.
Ah, so jaded old ****. Got it.

Like I said, I'm not arguing one way or another. I'm just saying if you openly root against a kid trying to play a sport he loves, you're a loser. Your weird socioeconomic stance on this with next to zero information is baffling.

Kid can't play in Colorado. You can play in Iowa. Kids asks dad if he can play in Iowa. Dad moves to Iowa so his son can play. That seems pretty cut and dry to me.

How is that star treatment or treating his son like the rules don't apply? I'm sure he felt like that was within the rules. They lost, it's over. This wasn't a Sparaco situation where he's moved all over the country and to several schools. Get over yourself.

There is already high school recruiting. Look at the "private" schools that offer scholarships.

Ah, so jaded old ****. Got it.

Like I said, I'm not arguing one way or another. I'm just saying if you openly root against a kid trying to play a sport he loves, you're a loser. Your weird socioeconomic stance on this with next to zero information is baffling.

Kid can't play in Colorado. You can play in Iowa. Kids asks dad if he can play in Iowa. Dad moves to Iowa so his son can play. That seems pretty cut and dry to me.

How is that star treatment or treating his son like the rules don't apply? I'm sure he felt like that was within the rules. They lost, it's over. This wasn't a Sparaco situation where he's moved all over the country and to several schools. Get over yourself.
"He felt like it was in the rules" Of course, because the rules don't apply to him and his kid. Iowa had these rules long before they went there but he figured he could lawyer his way through them.

If the kid had stayed in Colorado he would be playing, funny how karma works sometimes.

Most kids don't have parents who have the financial means to just up and move someplace so they can do the important things in life like play high school football games, and I doubt the kid he would have displaced had that option.

No the losers are the ones who think that the rules don't apply because they are them, great message to teach your kid.

"He felt like it was in the rules" Of course, because the rules don't apply to him and his kid. Iowa had these rules long before they went there but he figured he could lawyer his way through them.
Did you even read any of the articles posted? Many other kids with similar situations were allowed to play because it was WITHIN THEIR RULES. The reason he was denied was because he turned 18. I'm sure the rules will be changed, or at least clarity added, due to the black swan event of covid that caused this situation in the first place. For you to suggest they didn't do any research and just figured they would lawyer their way through is ill informed and lazy at best, and disingenuous and slanderous at worst.

Most kids don't have parents who have the financial means to just up and move someplace so they can do the important things in life like play high school football games, and I doubt the kid he would have displaced had that option.
I never said it doesn't suck for kids who can't afford to move. It does. But that was never my argument.

Is it Jake Rubley's fault covid happened? Is it Jake Rubley's fault Colorado and CHSAA wouldn't let kids play? Is it Jake Rubley's fault some kids can't afford to move? Is it Jake Rubley's fault he's better than the previous starter he displaced? If they would have let him play, would it be Jake Rubley's fault the rules allowed for it? If his dad was this bad guy you are trying to paint him as (with zero evidence other than in your mind that trying to make his kid happy = oppressive a-hole) is that Jake Rubley's fault? The answer to all of these questions are no. Painting Jake Rubley as the bad guy here is a bitch move.

If the kid had stayed in Colorado he would be playing, funny how karma works sometimes.

No the losers are the ones who think that the rules don't apply because they are them, great message to teach your kid.

The loser here is you for trying to make the kid, Jake Rubley, the bad guy. You have no information further than what is on the surface and you want to put him into a box because that's what you do, put people in boxes based on nothing more than your preconceived notions. You've made that evident several times on this site. Great message to teach kids! They must be a certain stereotypical thing because I've determined it so with little to no information, and no amount of information is going to make me change my mind. Pump the brakes and look in the mirror, Mtn.

Back