What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'22 AL WDE Justice Finkley (Signed to Texas)

Yeah, if he has a career ending type injury or for reason just can't play then we will gladly give him a scholarship and get all excited until he goes on medical retirement.
But we can claim we got a guy who was recruited by Texas and Alabama.
THIS. Add him to the list of gigantic recruiting whiffs by this staff. But, at least they probably had a file and film on him, so...trending in the right direction 🤷‍♂️????

if we can't close on a 4* recruit who is our #1 target and grew up as a diehard Buff fan, then we just gotta be ok with 3* that we can hopefully coach up to be solid contributors by their jr/sr year

really not loving this staff, but hope to be proven wrong this season

Nice pool table cover anyway. Really had me going there. I get it, we were there to appease your mom.
james franco shove GIF by HULU

I think very poorly of this staff, but y'all gotta stop with the "he grew up a diehard Buffs fan" takes. That does not matter to 99.9% of the players good enough to be a 3 star or better recruit, and it matters even less to those that are gifted enough to be a top 150 recruit in the country. These guys want to go to the NFL (or in cases like Finkley, go to the league AND get a prestigious degree in something they have dreamt of for a while) and surprise, CU is less likely to get you to the NFL than Texas is right now. Plain and simple. So although this staff blew it on his recruiting, it does not reflect on them negatively simply because he was a Buffs fan growing up.

I think very poorly of this staff, but y'all gotta stop with the "he grew up a diehard Buffs fan" takes. That does not matter to 99.9% of the players good enough to be a 3 star or better recruit, and it matters even less to those that are gifted enough to be a top 150 recruit in the country. These guys want to go to the NFL (or in cases like Finkley, go to the league AND get a prestigious degree in something they have dreamt of for a while) and surprise, CU is less likely to get you to the NFL than Texas is right now. Plain and simple. So although this staff blew it on his recruiting, it does not reflect on them negatively simply because he was a Buffs fan growing up.
I agree with everything except the Texas is more likely path to the NFL. If he’s actually good enough at this level to make it, he’ll make it. I would argue he has a higher likelihood of making it after his third season at CU because he would have likely played immediately here. He is now the 7th 4* DL/Edge player in this Texas class. Iron sharpens iron and all that, but he’s not likely to see the field early at UT

It was a major advantage for CU though. I never really thought he would end up a Buff, but not sure we were even close. That is no bueno.

It does reflect on them that he took a trip to Boulder on his own, that he grew up a Buffs fan, and yet we seem to have just given up on him.

What reflects negatively is the apparent unwillingness of the staff to go the extra mile and do the hard work it takes to recruit above your record.

No school is going to get every kid they want. Bama wanted Justice as well but he went to Texas instead and yes Bama wins more games and puts a lot more guys into the NFL.

One of the reasons why a lot of coaches don't like recruiting is that to be good you are going to work like a fanatic, pay attention to every detail, and more often than not if you are recruiting the right kids get turned down.

What matters though is those kids who as a result of your hard work decide to come instead of going elsewhere and you will never know which kids are going to be those kids unless you put the work in on a bunch of them.

This staff to me doesn't look like they are putting that work in.

I agree with everything except the Texas is more likely path to the NFL. If he’s actually good enough at this level to make it, he’ll make it. I would argue he has a higher likelihood of making it after his third season at CU because he would have likely played immediately here. He is now the 7th 4* DL/Edge player in this Texas class. Iron sharpens iron and all that, but he’s not likely to see the field early at UT
I agree that they have a lot of DL/Edge players but he was the highest rated out of all of them. It's not like he was the last one they wanted, he was likely their first or second priority at the position. And I agree with the if he's good enough part, but I think the coaching he will receive there is better than what it would be here, plus more TV exposure, playing against better players, and let's be honest; if he wants to make some money with NIL, better opportunities there as well.

It was a major advantage for CU though. I never really thought he would end up a Buff, but not sure we were even close. That is no bueno.
I would maybe disagree about it being a major advantage and say it was a minor advantage. Like a gets you in the door type of advantage. A good recruiting staff would have closed him with that minor advantage because in reality CU did have a good shot up until the last few weeks. The staff blew it because they can't recruit plain and simple.

I would maybe disagree about it being a major advantage and say it was a minor advantage. Like a gets you in the door type of advantage. A good recruiting staff would have closed him with that minor advantage because in reality CU did have a good shot up until the last few weeks. The staff blew it because they can't recruit plain and simple.
Do you know specifically what it was that turned him off? Can’t just be that UV right?

I have to disagree with you on the CU is less likely to get you to the NFL. I also disagree that love for a school doesn’t matter to “99.9% of players.”

Last edited:
I have to disagree with you on the CU is less likely to get you to the NFL. I also disagree that live for a school doesn’t matter to “99.9% of players.”
That's fair. I could be way wrong on that, you just don't hear nearly any stories of how a guy grew up loving a team and now plays for them. At least not the guys I'm talking about (good enough to be a 3 star or better).

It does reflect on them that he took a trip to Boulder on his own, that he grew up a Buffs fan, and yet we seem to have just given up on him.

What reflects negatively is the apparent unwillingness of the staff to go the extra mile and do the hard work it takes to recruit above your record.

No school is going to get every kid they want. Bama wanted Justice as well but he went to Texas instead and yes Bama wins more games and puts a lot more guys into the NFL.

One of the reasons why a lot of coaches don't like recruiting is that to be good you are going to work like a fanatic, pay attention to every detail, and more often than not if you are recruiting the right kids get turned down.

What matters though is those kids who as a result of your hard work decide to come instead of going elsewhere and you will never know which kids are going to be those kids unless you put the work in on a bunch of them.

This staff to me doesn't look like they are putting that work in.
"One of the reasons why a lot of coaches don't like recruiting is that to be good you are going to work like a fanatic, pay attention to every detail, and more often than not if you are recruiting the right kids get turned down."

This is one of the worst staffs I've ever heard of in terms of effort and detail. The stories I hear are mind boggling.

"One of the reasons why a lot of coaches don't like recruiting is that to be good you are going to work like a fanatic, pay attention to every detail, and more often than not if you are recruiting the right kids get turned down."

This is one of the worst staffs I've ever heard of in terms of effort and detail. The stories I hear are mind boggling.
Pray tell.

Back