What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'23 CO QB Brayden Dorman (Signed to Arizona)

CU's 2022 classed finished a mediocre 47th according to 247, so it's not just about comparing to a "stinky" team- UA finished 22nd and 2nd in the P-12. As you pointed out, this is coming off of a 1-11 season.

For reference, CU has not finished 22nd or higher since 2008, and has never finished 2nd or better in the P-12.
Cool. He’s 1-11 as a head coach. Are you saying right now that he’s a good coach based on a recruiting class?

Cool. He’s 1-11 as a head coach. Are you saying right now that he’s a good coach based on a recruiting class?
What I originally said (and you can look it up) was that I wish CU had hired Fisch instead of Dorrell. Dorrell may very well be a better coach than Fisch- I don't know. What I do know is that college football is about "Jimmies and Joes, not Xs and Os" and Fisch appears to be a much better recruiter than Dorrell.

I'd take a great recruiter over a great coach 10 times out of 10 for college football.

What I originally said (and you can look it up) was that I wish CU had hired Fisch instead of Dorrell. Dorrell may very well be a better coach than Fisch- I don't know. What I do know is that college football is about "Jimmies and Joes, not Xs and Os" and Fisch appears to be a much better recruiter than Dorrell.

I'd take a great recruiter over a great coach 10 times out of 10 for college football.
I’m very down on Dorrell so I don’t think it takes much to be a better coach or better recruiter. Yes Fisch’s first recruiting class impressed but until he wins games it’s potential. I still think there’s a better chance than not that he ends up being a pretty awful HC.

And what others have said is that it’s likely he is attracting that talent with funds that CU simply doesn’t have, so he likely wouldn’t be recruiting on the same level here

And what others have said is that it’s likely he is attracting that talent with funds that CU simply doesn’t have, so he likely wouldn’t be recruiting on the same level here
It's possible, but that's all speculative. It seems like an excuse.

I'm highly skeptical- CU sports a similarly-sized alumni base, a bigger endowment, more annual donations than UA as a whole, and a bigger metro area to draw from.

In addition, it's not like UA gets to compete in a bubble- everyone else is playing by the same rules. UA shot up from 76 overall to 22 overall- why would they be unique in terms of their ability to take advantage of booster funds? No other P5 schools experienced such a jump with new NIL rules. It seems like the Occam's Razor explanation is a new coaching staff.

This narrative that only players matter is nonsense. There are lots of examples, but the one that comes to mind is Charlie Strong at Texas. He inherited Mack Brown's roster and had 2 top 10 recruiting classes himself, but finished with a losing record.

I've never seen a 1-11 coach so revered by another fan base. Wow
There’s a narrative around CU and Dorrell that we shouldn’t expect better recruiting classes until we get more wins. This is an obvious counter example. So I think it’s less about reverence for Fisch than a reaction to apologists around here.

There’s a narrative around CU and Dorrell that we shouldn’t expect better recruiting classes until we get more wins. This is an obvious counter example. So I think it’s less about reverence for Fisch than a reaction to apologists around here.
Nah, the post that started all this very specifically said “I wish CU had hired Jedd Fisch instead of Dorrell” which is a far cry from “see it’s possible to improve recruiting before you win.”

I think you've got to be excited if you are an Arizona fan (if they actually exist) from a recruiting standpoint. However, I liken this to basically the entire 247 board drooling over Rodrigue after the 2020 season. Fisch needs to prove it in multiple areas for me to believe he has what it takes over multiple years. This is a stupid debate IMO until he really starts winning with that talent.

Was Fisch available at the time the former guy jilted us?

Watching some Arizona games last year, I did think his offense was well coordinated and his QBs were well coached. But from a talent standpoint, they were bringing a knife to a gun fight.

Watching some Arizona games last year, I did think his offense was well coordinated and his QBs were well coached. But from a talent standpoint, they were bringing a knife to a gun fight.
He's proven to be a good QB developer/coach. I think worst case they have a good system for QB's and bring a plus to games in that department.

Did a little research and it's a toss up as to whether Colorado HS QBs are vastly overrated, cursed or just aren't very good. Look at this list of rated QBs since 2000. Fvcking Yikes.
Ochs
Holland
Lovett
Tharp
Robinson, Z
Stucker
Brewster
Kubiak
Klein
Elway
Hinder
Miller, J