What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

A few thoughts from Oregon

Unleash Hell

First of all other than the outcome, had a great time. Oregon fans were pretty fun for the most part. Not much trash talk, but that’s probably what happens when they expect to beat you soundly and they did.
Had seats right behind the goal posts 2 rows up. Here are a few observations.

-Great facilities and atmosphere. I can see why big time recruits want to play there. With that said, the pa announcer was pretty boring. Sounded like a High School pa announcer. Very slow voice and always having to correct himself on things.

-I was taken aback with the visitors locker room. It is literally a little shack outside of the stadium and they make the visiting team walk past fans outside of the stadium going to and from the field. Again a very high school feel on that regard. Very weird walking next to the team on our way out as the team was headed to the lockeroom. They really make sure the visiting team doesn’t get to experience the luxury of their nice facilities.

-We really need to start recruiting better talent. We looked completely outmatched. Oregon’s players just look bigger, stronger and faster.

-This one stung, I didn’t expect us to win, but thought it would be a lot more competitive. We have a lot of work to do. I still think we can go to a bowl, but damn we have a long way to go to get where we want to be.

Enjoyed meeting up with Sacky, NW Buff and some others briefly before the game. Couldn’t ask for better weather for October in Oregon.

Last edited:
It's not about the Xs and Os. it's about the Jimmy's and the Joe's.

Tucker sure looks like the right guy (P5 v G5 or NFL, established recruiter). It's going to take 2-3 years to get the recruits to move back into the upper half of the conference.

Welcome back Unleash. 😜

It's not about the Xs and Os. it's about the Jimmy's and the Joe's.

Tucker sure looks like the right guy (P5 v G5 or NFL, established recruiter). It's going to take 2-3 years to get the recruits to move back into the upper half of the conference.

Welcome back Unleash. 😜

Fair, but this team does have the talent to get to a bowl game this year, and that's gotta be the expectation.

Fair, but this team does have the talent to get to a bowl game this year, and that's gotta be the expectation.

Not enough depth, though. You saw it last year when the team faded in the last 7 games. You are starting to see it again this year. There is a less than 50% chance this team makes a bowl game after losing to a bad AZ team at home.

Not enough depth, though. You saw it last year when the team faded in the last 7 games. You are starting to see it again this year. There is a less than 50% chance this team makes a bowl game after losing to a bad AZ team at home.
Before the season a lot of us were trying to piece together a record that would get us to a bowl. Virtually everyone acknowledged that we had to stay healthy. So far we haven't

On defense a defensive backfield that was both weak and thin to start with has been decimated. At this point I don't know if we could match up with and cover most decent FCS teams with that backfield.

On the DL again we were thin to start with and now we are playing without Mustafa, a guy likely to earning paychecks next season. I am also very concerned about Sami, he is coming off a knee and we honestly are a joke behind him.

On offense Viska is far and away our best player, one of the best in the nation, and is clearly limited by injury so far. Now we are getting some injuries in the OL which we also can't afford.

Bottom line is that we have to get our selves in gear and recruit, recruit, recruit. Our talent has to be better, our depth has to be better.

First of all other than the outcome, had a great time. Oregon fans were pretty fun for the most part. Not much trash talk, but that’s probably what happens when they expect to beat you soundly and they did.
Had seats right behind the goal posts 2 rows up. Here are a few observations.

-Great facilities and atmosphere. I can see why big time recruits want to play there. With that said, the pa announcer was pretty boring. Sounded like a High School pa announcer. Very slow voice and always having to correct himself on things.

-I was taken aback with the visitors locker room. It is literally a little shack outside of the stadium and they make the visiting team walk past fans outside of the stadium going to and from the field. Again a very high school feel on that regard. Very weird walking next to the team on our way out as the team was headed to the lockeroom. They really make sure the visiting team doesn’t get to experience the luxury of their nice facilities.

-We really need to start recruiting better talent. We looked completely outmatched. Oregon’s players just look bigger, stronger and faster.

-This one stung, I didn’t expect us to win, but thought it would be a lot more competitive. We have a lot of work to do. I still think we can go to a bowl, but damn we have a long way to go to get where we want to be.

Enjoyed meeting up with Sacky, NW Buff and some others briefly before the game. Couldn’t ask for better weather for October in Oregon.
agree was at game...duck fans were fine no snide remarks etc BUT while i didnt expect a win i did expect a closer contest...we were boat raced..its clear the talent level is not close....

I was at the game as well. Fans/atmosphere were great. I got the feeling they didn't think we were a threat though. I've heard some horror stories from husky fans. My experience was fine though.

Before the season a lot of us were trying to piece together a record that would get us to a bowl. Virtually everyone acknowledged that we had to stay healthy. So far we haven't

On defense a defensive backfield that was both weak and thin to start with has been decimated. At this point I don't know if we could match up with and cover most decent FCS teams with that backfield.

On the DL again we were thin to start with and now we are playing without Mustafa, a guy likely to earning paychecks next season. I am also very concerned about Sami, he is coming off a knee and we honestly are a joke behind him.

On offense Viska is far and away our best player, one of the best in the nation, and is clearly limited by injury so far. Now we are getting some injuries in the OL which we also can't afford.

Bottom line is that we have to get our selves in gear and recruit, recruit, recruit. Our talent has to be better, our depth has to be better.

I've said this before-but this is a fairly competitive league from 1. (Clearly Oregon) to 9-10. (I'd probably put us and Wazzu in those spots right now). UCLA is a huge mess, and Oregon State's in the middle of a roster flip to get back to being competitive. Its also down-Washington has two losses, Stanford's down, USC's one of the most bipolar football teams I've seen in recent years, and Wazzu might be as big a disaster on defense as we are. This season isn't over, and a bowl is very much still on the table.

Just keep this in mind-We hired a big name football coach in Tucker-with that comes expectations. Obviously, I'm not saying fire Mel if we finish 4-8 or 5-7 this season, but he shouldn't get the 6-7 years that Geoff Collins at Georgia Tech will probably get.

These coaches have also shot themselves in the feet by forcing this defensive scheme this year. I get trying to play the long game, but you still have to maximize the talent you've got. Taylor and Landman are great examples-both those guys are downhill players, and they're spending a fair amount of time in coverage. They need to be in positions where they can get after the QB.

These coaches have also shot themselves in the feet by forcing this defensive scheme this year. I get trying to play the long game, but you still have to maximize the talent you've got. Taylor and Landman are great examples-both those guys are downhill players, and they're spending a fair amount of time in coverage. They need to be in positions where they can get after the QB.
I fully, fully agree.

I've said this before-but this is a fairly competitive league from 1. (Clearly Oregon) to 9-10. (I'd probably put us and Wazzu in those spots right now). UCLA is a huge mess, and Oregon State's in the middle of a roster flip to get back to being competitive. Its also down-Washington has two losses, Stanford's down, USC's one of the most bipolar football teams I've seen in recent years, and Wazzu might be as big a disaster on defense as we are. This season isn't over, and a bowl is very much still on the table.

Just keep this in mind-We hired a big name football coach in Tucker-with that comes expectations. Obviously, I'm not saying fire Mel if we finish 4-8 or 5-7 this season, but he shouldn't get the 6-7 years that Geoff Collins at Georgia Tech will probably get.
I would agree with you that the league is very competitive. Even the bottom two you mention wouldn't be a shock if the pulled off a win against 2/3 of the league. We keep seeing every year the PAC knocking itself out of prominent position by teams pulling upsets. Compare that to the SEC or the B1G in which it would be a major shock to see one of the bottom 4 teams knock off even a second tier team much less one of the leaders.

With our injury situation and the team seemingly falling into accepting losing like they did under MM I would doubt it but it certainly is possible for the Buffs to win a couple of the games against lower teams and pull off an upset against a higher profile team. Consider that so far we are the only loss for ranked ASU.

I give Tucker this year even if the season ends a disaster. He inherited a team with a lack of P5 talent and a losing attitude. I expect though to see progress next year and a roster that is moving towards sustainable P5 talent across the depth chart.

Agree with this 100%. These coaches have come in and tried to do things like they did at Georgia or Alabama without having the talent advantages to make that happen. At Georgia he had linebackers who ran 4.5 and could cover like safeties due to athleticism. He also could get away with a lot because he had some 4* talent on the line that could dominate and free those guys up.

Here even his best players have limitations and he doesn't have 11 guys on the field who can make plays on individual talent. He needs to learn to use guys like Landman in the ways that they have the most chance to impact. Interestingly enough he should know this from his NFL time. In the NFL you don't outtalent teams so sometimes guys who weren't that dominant in college became impact players because they maximize their talents.

Next year, I don't know how good Oregon will be without Herbert and some of those linemen.

But they do get more talented overall with the recruiting class they're bringing in.

That program is on the track to compete for national championships.

Bull****
That is a team coached by a psycho creampuff last year that put quit into the kids instead of what Tucker is doing. -4 on turnovers on the road is death sentence.
Tucker is right man for sure
Calm down, I was talking about last years team not this years. Go read what I responded to.

Next year, I don't know how good Oregon will be without Herbert and some of those linemen.

But they do get more talented overall with the recruiting class they're bringing in.

That program is on the track to compete for national championships.
Their recruiting class is filthy

I'm disappointed in Tucker. I expected better.
Concerned with the large number of penalties. I expected more discipline from a Mel Tucker team. At least that's what we were told.

Isn't Mel the guy that ran off the undersized Cornerbacks/D backs? In hindsight not very smart.

Cannot wait until MT starts recruiting those 4 and 5 stars.

If the coaches have a good eye for talent, which I think that they do, I believe the long game and full defensive install is the way to go. No doubt, watching the LB's try and cover this year is brutal. We are nowhere close now. It is a drastically different defense, but you only learn it by playing it. IMO, if a CU turnaround is what you want the only way CU can contend for the PAC12 South every year is to install and recruit to this defense. I believe Tucker and staff can do it, and it does not require a ton of 4* recruits. Also, with a fluid transfer market, I think it is more possible than ever.

Think about it, GB did the exact same thing defensively. By year 3, we crushed Nebraska and beat a way more talented Texas team. Even with the recruiting limitations, GB was able to win 4 of 5 B12 North. It only takes a few great recruits who can plug in your system, aka Jordan Dizon. It is a matter or patience and learning. My only wish is that the defense was not so young, across the board. In looking at this years defense, we have no players anywhere near the talent Evan Worthington or Drew Lewis. It will just take time.

I would agree with you that the league is very competitive. Even the bottom two you mention wouldn't be a shock if the pulled off a win against 2/3 of the league. We keep seeing every year the PAC knocking itself out of prominent position by teams pulling upsets. Compare that to the SEC or the B1G in which it would be a major shock to see one of the bottom 4 teams knock off even a second tier team much less one of the leaders.

With our injury situation and the team seemingly falling into accepting losing like they did under MM I would doubt it but it certainly is possible for the Buffs to win a couple of the games against lower teams and pull off an upset against a higher profile team. Consider that so far we are the only loss for ranked ASU.

I give Tucker this year even if the season ends a disaster. He inherited a team with a lack of P5 talent and a losing attitude. I expect though to see progress next year and a roster that is moving towards sustainable P5 talent across the depth chart.

Agree with this 100%. These coaches have come in and tried to do things like they did at Georgia or Alabama without having the talent advantages to make that happen. At Georgia he had linebackers who ran 4.5 and could cover like safeties due to athleticism. He also could get away with a lot because he had some 4* talent on the line that could dominate and free those guys up.

Here even his best players have limitations and he doesn't have 11 guys on the field who can make plays on individual talent. He needs to learn to use guys like Landman in the ways that they have the most chance to impact. Interestingly enough he should know this from his NFL time. In the NFL you don't outtalent teams so sometimes guys who weren't that dominant in college became impact players because they maximize their talents.

There's enough P5 level talent here to get to a bowl game in this league is the point I'm trying to make. Given the way things are playing out, I'd argue not getting there is at least a slight disappointment. Not worried about this season ending in a disaster yet-Oregon is head and shoulders above the rest of us in what is a mediocre league.

There's enough P5 level talent here to get to a bowl game in this league is the point I'm trying to make. Given the way things are playing out, I'd argue not getting there is at least a slight disappointment. Not worried about this season ending in a disaster yet-Oregon is head and shoulders above the rest of us in what is a mediocre league.

I sort of agree and disagree with that. I'd love bowl game, if for nothing else but the extra practice. There is enough talent, but defensively it is so young, inexperienced, and beat up. Clearly, some guys not able to play to their strengths all the time. The offense will probably have a put up some huge numbers for the home games. I am hoping UO was an outlier with great talent, and the defense will steadily improve week to week. I definitely see improvement from some of the guys. Taylor is adjusting pretty well--I liked those 3rd down stops v UoA. Also, Landman seems to be playing faster sideline to sideline, it is just the coverage aspect. Rackstraw has been bringing it.

I sort of agree and disagree with that. I'd love bowl game, if for nothing else but the extra practice. There is enough talent, but defensively it is so young, inexperienced, and beat up. Clearly, some guys not able to play to their strengths all the time. The offense will probably have a put up some huge numbers for the home games. I am hoping UO was an outlier with great talent, and the defense will steadily improve week to week. I definitely see improvement from some of the guys. Taylor is adjusting pretty well--I liked those 3rd down stops v UoA. Also, Landman seems to be playing faster sideline to sideline, it is just the coverage aspect. Rackstraw has been bringing it.

Let's see what happens in Pullman. We're going to learn a lot more about the kind of team we've got in that game than we ever were last night.

Back