What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Alex Grinch - DC USC

White_Rabbit

Club Member
Club Member
usatsi_13298251.jpg

Coaching career (HC unless noted)
2002–2004Missouri (GA)[2]
2005–2006New Hampshire (CB)
2007–2008New Hampshire (DB/RC)
2009–2011Wyoming (DB)
2012–2014Missouri (S)[3]
2015–2017Washington State (DC/DB)
2018Ohio State (co-DC/S)
2019–presentOklahoma (DC/S)

Oklahoma Profile

I don't know much about him, the resume above looks strong and CU needs a Grinch that can just steal PAC-12 championships + whatever else. I like the name!

So does he have a rep as an up and coming star? Similar to Ryan Day last year.

Definitely feel positive thoughts

Heard he turned down Wash St’s head coach opening, so he might be comfortable spending another year or two at Oklahoma and positioning himself for a higher profile gig.

I haven't talked about Grinch much, but I'd have no complaints here. He's got a very solid network for recruiting and hiring assistants on top of being a brilliant defensive coach.

I haven't talked about Grinch much, but I'd have no complaints here. He's got a very solid network for recruiting and hiring assistants on top of being a brilliant defensive coach.
Please help me here, because that isn't what I see, and is my biggest fear in hiring this guy. I heard that Ryan Day was not unhappy to see him go to the Sooners, and the few times that I watched the Sooners play this year, I was wholly unimpressed by their Defense. The scheme seemed to be lacking, but more importantly, the defense seemed to lack effort, playing through the whistle and chasing the play. Which screams to me that he isn't a great motivator, and doesn't demand exceptional effort from his players. I am not saying I am right, but I do need help understanding why people think so highly of him as a defensive coach.

Please help me here, because that isn't what I see, and is my biggest fear in hiring this guy. I heard that Ryan Day was not unhappy to see him go to the Sooners, and the few times that I watched the Sooners play this year, I was wholly unimpressed by their Defense. The scheme seemed to be lacking, but more importantly, the defense seemed to lack effort, playing through the whistle and chasing the play. Which screams to me that he isn't a great motivator, and doesn't demand exceptional effort from his players. I am not saying I am right, but I do need help understanding why people think so highly of him as a defensive coach.
He transformed Wazzu from a gimmicky team into a team that could beat you with its defense despite the style of offense.

I haven't seen a lot since then to evaluate. tOSU was really Schiano in charge and too many cooks in the kitchen. OU is 1 year where I did see better tackling and less quit from a defense that had underperformed its talent in previous years to an extent rarely seen. I'd feel much more comfortable about Grinch in another year or two if the defense at OU takes the same trajectory we saw at Wazzu, but our opening is this year and it's not like we'd have much of a shot at hiring him if he has that sort of success at OU over the next couple years. There's risk, but if he's the guy I think he is based on Wazzu then the reward would be crazy high.

I question a guys intelligence if he is willing to take a Big-12 DC job, especially at OU these days. I'm 51% kidding, 49% serious.

I only saw the LSU game, but they made most defenses look like your description.

I only saw the LSU game, but they made most defenses look like your description.
I saw them play in 4 or 5 games. They had problems that in my mind could largely be covered up with effort. That was what Leavitt was so good at, getting all 11 guys to run to the ball and play hard through the whistle. Grinch made strides with that defense this year, so maybe he is a really good candidate...I don't have a strong feeling on the subject.

Here are the Sooners defensive stats (2018 vs 2019):
1581723458794.png

They made undeniable improvement. But 5.1 yds per pay, 4.1 yds per rush, 0.7 takeaways per game? Ouch. Those stats represent what I saw when I watched them play, and I think should be better with just a few simple, but very important things.

I'd like to hear how you'd increase takeaways with a few simple, but very important things. Don't hold back, we need the deetz

I'd like to hear how you'd increase takeaways with a few simple, but very important things. Don't hold back, we need the deetz
Man, those numbers really show Grinch just does not get the EFFORT from players:rolleyes:
My simple point is this: Stopping the run is an attitude and effort thing....always has been. I will try to spend some time later to find analytics on this, but it is a tried and true belief in defensive football that you will get a LOT more turnovers when you have 11 guys running to the ball (being there to fall on a fumble, being close to a broken up pass to get the pick)...good things happen when you get guys doing this. They were 128th in the country. When I saw the OU Defense this year, I didn't see that effort and discipline, which caused me to question how good of a coach really is the guy. He might be the next Vince Lombardi, I don't know, but it seems fair to ask the question when many seem to believe he'd be an excellent hire.

My simple point is this: Stopping the run is an attitude and effort thing....always has been. I will try to spend some time later to find analytics on this, but it is a tired and true belief in defensive football that you will get a LOT more turnovers when you have 11 guys running to the ball (being there to fall on a fumble, being close to a broken up pass to get the pick)...good things happen when you get guys doing this. When I saw the OU Defense this year, I didn't see that effort and discipline, which caused me to question how good of a coach really is the guy. He might be the next Vince Lombardi, I don't know, but it seems fair to ask the question when many seem to believe he'd be an excellent hire.

Watch clips of his defenses at Wazzu play-he got that kind of response out of the kids he had there.

My simple point is this: Stopping the run is an attitude and effort thing....always has been. I will try to spend some time later to find analytics on this, but it is a tried and true belief in defensive football that you will get a LOT more turnovers when you have 11 guys running to the ball (being there to fall on a fumble, being close to a broken up pass to get the pick)...good things happen when you get guys doing this. They were 128th in the country. When I saw the OU Defense this year, I didn't see that effort and discipline, which caused me to question how good of a coach really is the guy. He might be the next Vince Lombardi, I don't know, but it seems fair to ask the question when many seem to believe he'd be an excellent hire.

You don't think he is great, okay. But you are cherry-picking stats you dislike and adding stuff no one can possibly quantify. Effort? Really?

Back