What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Andy Avalos - DC Oregon

White_Rabbit

Club Member
Club Member
Avalos_Headshot.jpg

Oregon Profile

Coaching History
  • Oregon
    2019 -Defensive Coordinator
  • Boise State
    2016 - 2019Defensive Coordinator
  • Boise State
    2014 - 2015Linebackers Coach
  • Boise State
    2012 - 2013Defensive Line Coach
  • Sacramento State
    2011 - 2011Linebackers Coach
  • Nebraska Kearney
    2009 - 2010Defensive Line Coach
  • Colorado
    2006 - 2008Graduate Assistant

1 year at a P5 just seems like such a bad idea.

Their defense was awesome, though.

He's definitely not Jimmy Lake as a candidate

Top of my early list.

I want to stick to defense and have always preferred coaches who know our recruiting footprint. We all know the class that Oregon brought in. Before he was hired there, one of their fan sites did an impressive analysis of him as a recruiter at Boise State. He was great there (much better than Wilcox). https://fishduck.com/2019/05/andy-avalos-the-recruiter/

Top of my early list.

I want to stick to defense and have always preferred coaches who know our recruiting footprint. We all know the class that Oregon brought in. Before he was hired there, one of their fan sites did an impressive analysis of him as a recruiter at Boise State. He was great there (much better than Wilcox). https://fishduck.com/2019/05/andy-avalos-the-recruiter/
Does he have the ability and Rolodex to assemble a quality staff?

Scars run deep on Hawkins. Hired by a different AD almost 15 years ago. But, trust me, I get it. 😭

Read up on the Ducks’ 247 board and they would be devastated to see him leave but many are skeptical he could be a HC this soon

This “too soon” crap needs to end: otherwise, we are hiring a failed retread like Jim Mora.
Disagree. “Too soon” has less to do with age and more to do with experience, learning under successful coaches, seeing how successful programs are run, developing a network to draw from when assembling a staff, establishing your recruiting bonafides, understanding how to manage 100 young men who deal with things beyond football (family issues, school trouble, girlfriends, social media mishaps), learning how to communicate to different audiences (team, coaching staff, boosters, parents, media), or sitting at a kitchen table in Dallas and convincingly telling a recruits parents that you will look after their son like his own.

These skills can take time to develop, and certainly there are wonderkins who are hired super young that are exceptions to the rule but far to question how someone so young could handle all the responsibilities that come with being the HC.

I do like Avalos still.

I really like the idea of this dude. In another year or two I bet he's getting a plum HC job.

-started coaching at Corona HS in socal
-entire career save 1 year is spent in our footprint, including 3 years at CU. So he should have an idea of what he's getting in to.
-top notch defense everywhere he has been

questions being what kind of connections does he have for building a staff? Boise/Oregon isn't a bad area to be fishing in, but a couple more years of him at a different P5 would be nice. It's probably a little soon, but if we wait he also might not be available

Back