What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Assistants

ahoelsken

Given Tucker isn't keeping any of Mark Dantonio's coaches-its time for a thread on this. In an ideal world, who would you like to see stay? Who should go? I'll start.

Chev is staying as at least the OC. Hagan is an underrated recruiter. Els I would think stays. As far as the guys Tucker brought here, we have to keep Kap. I'm intrigued by Pupunu and Michalowski, so open mind there. The coordinators and Tillman I don't care about.

Doesn’t matter. But just as we are in a bit of a pickle finding a HC because of the timing, a new guy will have a restricted talent pool to choose from I’d imagine. So he may have to retain guys he might not prefer. And keeping current staff may make the transition easier on some of the players.

Keep Kap and maybe Michalowski. I'm sure Chev and Hagan are staying no matter what. The others I really don't care about one way or another.

We need to keep our S&C coach! This is vital, particularly given the time of year. Losing a HC is inconvenient, and although we are scrambling, we have a little time. Losing the coach players are currently working with on a daily basis (and he is an exceptional S&C) would be significantly problematic. That would shut down the players development immediately.

We need to keep our S&C coach! This is vital, particularly given the time of year. Losing a HC is inconvenient, and although we are scrambling, we have a little time. Losing the coach players are currently working with on a daily basis (and he is an exceptional S&C) would be significantly problematic. That would shut down the players development immediately.

I agree. I'm not convinced that Wilson is a great S&C guy, but CU sure needs to keep him or the top assistants around through spring ball.

Expect Wilson to leave if MT offers him a job. He's liked pretty much every MT related tweet from MT or MSU since the announcement.

I'd like Chev to stay around in whatever capacity new HC wants. I'd like Wilson to stay and I'd like Kap to stay. Those are the top 3 priorities for me, followed by Hagan and Michalowski. Won't be too broken up by the others leaving.

I am surprised he swept out the OL coach. I would trade him for Kap today, and I like Kap a lot.

Why is Chev staying at least as the OC?
I’m doesn’t he make more already than the coordinators? His OC skills < leadership and recruiting skills.
Did you see Tucker Hs thrown out a Million dollar plus offer to the Kentucky recruiter.
Talent acquisition exceeds xo’s

Mel didn't retain anyone from the last MSU staff so that tells me he is going to go after the highest paid assistants in college. I am not sure if Wilson is in that group, but I would bet Kap is.

Yes, white_rabbit......so Tucker goes to msu, supposedly in part because he has double the assistant salary budget. So if he hires CU assistants, it makes that whole part of the reason for going to msu a complete joke. (Yes, I get it the timing to hire assistants is tough right now, but he knew that when he took the job.) So IF tucker ends up hiring assistants at rates NOT demanding the whole $6 salary pool, the giant pool number isn't even necessary for a few years when he's ready to churn through and hire big name assistants.

Sounds like MT couldn't pry Brumbaugh away from Tennessee or someone better so back to the assistants he just let go well.

Before I saw this I was about to say "slow the roll" on MSU assistants being fired. I think Mel is not keeping their coordinators and will hire his own OC and DC, and then those two will help fill out the staff from there. Might be some good defensive coaches on that staff. Offense has blown forever.

We will find out how much of Mel's struggles in hiring a staff at CU had to do with budget. Probably was a big issue, but his inexperience was also an issue.

Last edited:
Before I saw this I was about to say "slow the roll" on MSU assistants being fired. I think Mel is not keeping their coordinators and will hire his own OC and DC, and then those two will help fill out the staff from there. Might be some good defensive coaches on that staff. Offense has blown forever.

We will find out how much of Mel's struggles in hiring a staff at CU had to do with budget. Probably was a big issue, but his inexperience was also an issue.
I'll pass on whoever their OC is. Tressel for Summers though? Nothing against Summers, but I'll take it!

Back