What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2020 CU football season POSTPONED until Nov 6th?

One interesting thing that Fowler mentioned in this video is that some programs are asking players, coaches, and staff to sign COVID-19 waivers in order to make the college football season a reality.

That's going to be a thing everywhere this year. I've gotten asked to work high school basketball tournaments in Denver this month and gotten several pages of these types of waivers that I'm not sure I want to deal with.

That's going to be a thing everywhere this year. I've gotten asked to work high school basketball tournaments in Denver this month and gotten several pages of these types of waivers that I'm not sure I want to deal with.
The waivers I’ve seen have been very exhaustive. Without hazard pay considerations and strong safety measures, I don’t think they’re being very reasonable.

Yea, 1st thought was WTF?? These kids aren't getting paid and now asking them to sign waivers on a disease that can leave them permanently damaged. No frikin way they would do that if it was my kid.
Do they sign a general waiver to not sue the School for damages anyways?

If "they" require somebody to go to work, and to sign a waiver, they should put some accountability from their end in it. For example, safety measures, providing/paying for testing, requirements for others to follow safety measures, paying for any and all health costs/injuries, sick pay, etc. It shouldn't be a one way responsibility and liability.

I'm not sure about a "hazard pay", but there should be some sort of risk/reward.

Student athletes are going to be much safer as part of their respective athletic programs, than not.

Yup, after the first couple of weeks these schools seem to have done a great job handling everything. Now it will get interesting with actual practices and hitting instead of distanced workouts

Yeah, the thought that cancelling everything and sending them home is some how the righteous thing is laughable.
The only thing laughable is thinking they'd stay at home if they were sent home. Obviously isolating is a better COVID avoidance strategy than being in large groups, as in practice and games and classrooms. But at some point, life goes on. I'm sure the athletes mostly believe they'll handle it if they get it. But I could see some preferring not to be exposed.

The only thing laughable is thinking they'd stay at home if they were sent home. Obviously isolating is a better COVID avoidance strategy than being in large groups, as in practice and games and classrooms. But at some point, life goes on. I'm sure the athletes mostly believe they'll handle it if they get it. But I could see some preferring not to be exposed.
Yeah and I don’t think keeping them on campus but cancelling everything would be an option

Another piece on cancelling football in the fall, this time from yahoo sports...

Athletic directors are paid to run athletic departments. I’d be pretty pissed if RG just threw up his hands and said “that’s it, I quit”. I expect him, and other ADs, to prepare as though there will be a season until such time as it becomes necessary to take a different approach. The author of this column has the luxury of being a disinterested third party. That’s great for him, and he’s probably right in that football this fall is highly unlikely. That doesn’t change RGs job one bit. The old adage of “hope for the best but prepare for the worst” is definitely appropriate here. So saying their plans to play this fall are based on nothing but hope is somewhat true. They hope for a season and prepare as though it will be played while exploring other options as needed. That last part was conveniently omitted from the yahoo column.

Athletic directors are paid to run athletic departments. I’d be pretty pissed if RG just threw up his hands and said “that’s it, I quit”. I expect him, and other ADs, to prepare as though there will be a season until such time as it becomes necessary to take a different approach. The author of this column has the luxury of being a disinterested third party. That’s great for him, and he’s probably right in that football this fall is highly unlikely. That doesn’t change RGs job one bit. The old adage of “hope for the best but prepare for the worst” is definitely appropriate here. So saying their plans to play this fall are based on nothing but hope is somewhat true. They hope for a season and prepare as though it will be played while exploring other options as needed. That last part was conveniently omitted from the yahoo column.

Pete Thamel is not a "disinterested third party." He is a longtime college football writer who has plenty of sources across the country. His career is tied to college football.

SEC decision end of month

The athletics directors and members of the SEC staff convened Monday morning and met until late in the afternoon in the SEC's Kramer-Moore Conference Room, the largest conference room in the SEC Office which allowed for social distancing of the group. Several external groups and individuals participated by videoconference.

"It is clear that current circumstances related to COVID-19 must improve and we will continue to closely monitor developments around the virus on a daily basis," Sankey said. "In the coming weeks we will continue to meet regularly with campus leaders via videoconferences and gather relevant information while guided by medical advisors. We believe that late July will provide the best clarity for making the important decisions ahead of us."
secsports link

I hear about all these positive tests everywhere and the horror of how we’re all going to die. This has been going on now for roughly 4 months and I have not heard of a single person I know who has it, not 1. Not a family member, friend, Facebook friend, no one. I haven’t even met any strangers who say they’ve had it or know a guy who knows a guy who knows a girl who has had it. I’ve heard of people catching it from the news and that’s about it.

I hear about all these positive tests everywhere and the horror of how we’re all going to die. This has been going on now for roughly 4 months and I have not heard of a single person I know who has it, not 1. Not a family member, friend, Facebook friend, no one. I haven’t even met any strangers who say they’ve had it or know a guy who knows a guy who knows a girl who has had it. I’ve heard of people catching it from the news and that’s about it.

You are lucky.

I've had multiple people tell me their family or friends have had bad cases or died from it

I know one person who had it and is "recovered", but that's it.
You are lucky.

I've had multiple people tell me their family or friends have had bad cases or died from it
it would be interesting to see some sort of network map showing 'degrees of separation' to known CV cases and what that reveals. i.e. maybe you and Buffalumni have networks of contacts with completely different geographic areas, socio-economic status or other distinctions. Maybe it's more random than I expect, but I guess it omes down to, at a micro level, what groups are getting the disease and what groups aren't.

I know 3. All different ages and different social circles. One was hospitalized for 3 weeks with it. I haven’t heard from him lately, so I believe he’s recovering.

It depends a lot on where you live. During the first wave, or wave 1a really, I didn’t know anyone either except in New York. In wave 1b occurring now, I have friends, coworkers, and neighbors that are fighting it, several in hospital.

Just like you read in the news, the individual experience is highly variable. Many don’t get anything or have a mild flu like symptoms. Yet, I have a female friend in NYC that got it that I know from CU. She was in top notch shape - runner, yoga,etc. Her comment to me after getting it and recovering (now negative tests): “My body is wrecked. I doubt I’ll ever feel right again.”

You are lucky.

Really, that’s sad. I was just thinking about it this morning and how I haven't met anybody which I found weird considering everything going on.

I know a handful of young (under 40) people who have gotten it and all recovered with no known issues. My barber's grandmother died from it (90 with dementia).

I know someone that was on a vent for 3 weeks with it. He's recovered but not sure if there are any lingering side effects. He's in his 40's and it was touch and go for a while as I understand.

I know three young women (all related to me) that have had it or have it currently. Two of them had it towards the beginning and are still trying to recover.

Three people in my family got it. Two of the overweight but they both made a full recovery. The fever was the biggest thing for them though, not the cough.

Hearing some interesting stuff on the high school level here in TX. The UIL is considering relaxing it's student transfer rules in relation to Fall sports. If this is approved it would allow a student to transfer for the purpose of participating in a sport and not lose a year of eligibility.
It's already started as some parents are making plans while waiting word from their current district.
Also heard from a friend in Dallas that if Dallas does have school and Fall sports his 2 nephews from Los Angeles are going to move in with him for the school year to play football.
Some really crazy stuff could come out of all this such as stacked 3A football teams for one.

Hearing some interesting stuff on the high school level here in TX. The UIL is considering relaxing it's student transfer rules in relation to Fall sports. If this is approved it would allow a student to transfer for the purpose of participating in a sport and not lose a year of eligibility.
It's already started as some parents are making plans while waiting word from their current district.
Also heard from a friend in Dallas that if Dallas does have school and Fall sports his 2 nephews from Los Angeles are going to move in with him for the school year to play football.
Some really crazy stuff could come out of all this such as stacked 3A football teams for one.
Thanks for posting that.

I don't think many people like thinking about the idea of high schoolers transferring for sports -- I know it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

This situation could create a lot of transfer activity which I hadn't considered. if there are school districts or even entire states not playing organized sports, I think there are a lot of parents who are banking on their kid busting it big with a D1 scholarship -- those parents will at least consider moving the family.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that.

I don't think many people like thinking about the idea of high schoolers transferring for sports -- I know it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

This situation could create a lot of transfer activity which I hadn't considered. if there are school districts or even entire states not playing organized sports, I think there are a lot of parents who are banking on their kid busting it big with a D1 scholarship -- those parents will at least consider moving the family.
Something that I've come to learn about TX since moving here is that HS football is it's a social event as much or more than just a sport. I would recommend to anyone interested in understanding how and when TX. HS football became what it is today, pick up a copy of "Twelve Mighty Orphans" written by Jim Dent.
Consider, to play you have to maintain grades to stay eligible. Recently the numbers have come in that over 30% of students in the Los Angeles school district did not log in for classes after school closures. The stay at home education as it exists throughout the country will have similar issues as to verifying whether or not a student has successfully finished courses. How will this affect their their GPA's, graduation and eligibility status to participate when schools re-open?. It's a pandora's box.. ie..student has a scholarship lined up and then finds out that they don't qualify out of HS.

I knew (not extremely well) a guy who died from COVID in late March. In his 40's with two children and mostly in good shape/health. He was air lifted to Denver and died on the way. The family couldn't even see him for a few weeks.

I also know of a friend who got really sick in early March. His grandson was sick a week before and in the hospital on a ventilator. They tested the grandson and he was positive but didn't test my friend who had the symptoms of COVID. That was back before wide spread testing, obviously. The doctors told my friend he had pneumonia. He is still feeling some of the effects in July. He said he is pretty sure he had it but they wouldn't test him at the time.

My sister is just getting over COVID. Early on a friend who lived in a NJ nursing home died. She had very bad asthma and was morbidly obese which is probably why she did live 24 hours on the ventilator.

Back