What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2020 CU football season POSTPONED until Nov 6th?

For those of us who love college football as it has been, a team representing the school they go to, a stadium full of fans who mostly have some other attachment to the team other than just living in the general area, more and more of that "magic" has been taken out. This might be the final straw.

Like a lot of people who think "Let's form a union and get a chunk of that money for ourselves" they aren't looking at the big picture.

Yes if they go to Michigan or Ohio State or Texas or a similar school the money is probably there. For the majority of even P5 programs it is not.

In most cases, and the players may not like this but the law makes it happen, football is what pays for all the non-revenue producing sports including the women's sports that are required because of Title IX.

Pay the players even close to what they want and the budgets no longer work, the system is not viable. What you end up with is maybe 20-30 programs that can continue on close to sound financial footing, a number more which will try but eventually many of these will drop away, and a bunch of programs that simply opt out because they have no other choice.

There are some things that I think are reasonable for the players to demand but the leaders of this thing will never be content with just these.

Players should get a stipend in addition to the standard room and board, tuition fees and books, that they get now. Not a large amount but enough to live like a typical college student without getting outside money. They should get extended insurance coverage on any injuries that occurred or likely occurred as a result of playing the game. They should get, with reasonable requirements on their end a guaranteed 4-5 years of educational cost covered.

It may be for those of us who want a college atmosphere in the future that we will find ourselves sitting in a stadium supporting an FBS or lower level program.

At the same time as this happens how many of you can see the NFL figuring out how to create a minor league program that develops talent for them and makes them a ton of money.

The goal or at least the dream of a huge number of the better young players out there is to make the NFL. They have been willing to play college football for no paycheck, how many of them would be willing to play in a minor league system for a minimal paycheck (say $30,000-50,000) for a 12 game season?

The NFL hasn't needed to do this in the past because the colleges have developed talent for them for free but if the college game gets gutted by player demands and with the ever growing thirst by the public for the NFL it may now make sense for them.

I am very onboard with extended medical insurance and feel that is a bare minimum to continue with the current model with a clean conscious.

I also believe it’s only a matter of time before the regular season is delayed to the Spring. One conference will do it (best guess is B10) and everybody else will follow suit.

Not their decision to play in the Fall, but they could proactively postpone to Spring, no?
I don’t think so. But I may be wrong.

NCAA Board of Govs meets Friday. If they cancel fall championships for sports other than football (they don’t control CFP as you know), that will put lots of pressure on conferences for CFB.

I don’t think so. But I may be wrong.

NCAA Board of Govs meets Friday. If they cancel fall championships for sports other than football (they don’t control CFP as you know), that will put lots of pressure on conferences for CFB.
I can't imagine there being a post season even if they somehow trudge through a conference only schedule.

Initially, I thought a spring season would give enough time to make adjustments and give time for this to die off or at least be manageable. Plus, having football in the fall (nfl) and college in the spring would be awesome. Now, I think that is probably something that is complete fantasy. Even with a vaccine, its going to be some time before everyone has this available to them. This isn't going away any time soon and the same risks are still there in the spring, even if infection rates go down. Its got to really suck being a college president and AD. You are basically weighing two options that is almost ruin in both scenarios. Regardless of what you do, you have massive amount of liability involved with support spread even and criticism even on both sides.

Do you postpone the season to the spring, which almost certainly will be cancelled again? Or do you go forward in the fall with protocols in place to hopefully mitigate infections?

Whether we want to believe it or not, there is no correct solution and I truly believe moving to the spring just kicks the can down the road to possible financial ruin for your AD and potentially to your School. The alternative is how much risk do you take if a player/student gets sick and has long term effects or even death? These same issues will still be there in the spring regardless of where we are at with numbers and a vaccine.

At this point, I think Schools are taking the best approach and waiting till the last moment. I am doubtful there is a fall season, but I do think that is probably the best approach. If you need to shut down, shut down, but I am not sure making that decision before hand makes any sense. Have the correct protocols in place, test when you need to, disallow any fans, and have as much flexibility as you need to keep everyone safe. We can do this, even in the fall.

Ultimately, this boils down to how entitled Americans are and really sucks that we can't make small sacrifices for the betterment of all. Something I truly love and care about is more than likely going away, or best case going to be drastically changed forever. Sucks and sucks that Americans really do suck right now.

Last edited:
Initially, I thought a spring season would give enough time to make adjustments and give time for this to die off or at least be manageable. Plus, having football in the fall (nfl) and college in the spring would be awesome. Now, I think that is probably something that is complete fantasy. Even with a vaccine, its going to be some time before everyone has this available to them. This isn't going away any time soon and the same risks are still there in the spring, even if infection rates go down. Its got to really suck being a college president and AD. You are basically weighing two options that is almost ruin in both scenarios. Regardless of what you do, you have massive amount of liability involved with support spread even and criticism even on both sides.

Do you postpone the season to the spring, which almost certainly will be cancelled again? Or do you go forward in the fall with protocols in place to hopefully mitigate infections?

Whether we want to believe it or not, there is no correct solution and I truly believe moving to the spring just kicks the can down the road to possible financial ruin for your AD and potentially to your School. The alternative is how much risk do you take if a player/student gets sick and has long term effects or even death? These same issues will still be there in the spring regardless of where we are at with numbers and a vaccine.

At this point, I think Schools are taking the best approach and waiting till the last moment. I am doubtful there is a fall season, but I do think that is probably the best approach. If you need to shut down, shut down, but I am not sure making that decision before hand makes any sense. Have the correctly protocols in place, test when you need to, disallow any fans, and have as much flexibility as you need to keep everyone safe. We can do this, even in the fall.

Ultimately, this boils down to how entitled Americans are and really sucks that we can't make small sacrifices for the betterment of all. Something I truly love and care about is more than likely going away, or best case going to be drastically changed forever. Sucks and sucks that Americans really do suck right now.
You are behaving exactly like the entitled Americans you decry. It is not currently safe to play football. We need to lock down, stop the spread, and then we can make steps to open back up. You need to make a sacrifice like you are calling others to do. Yeah, it stinks.

I'm with you, I doubt the spring will be much better, but there is a possibility. We can hope. Maybe a vaccine is fast tracked or we find some drug that treats the disease. Who knows?

At this point, I think Schools are taking the best approach and waiting till the last moment. I am doubtful there is a fall season, but I do think that is probably the best approach. If you need to shut down, shut down, but I am not sure making that decision before hand makes any sense. Have the correctly protocols in place, test when you need to, disallow any fans, and have as much flexibility as you need to keep everyone safe. We can do this, even in the fall.

I think conferences continue to delay / postpone until last moment until spring is the only choice. Or at least that’s how I think
SEC plays it

If colleges cancel or push out football until spring, has anyone heard if the NFL would play Saturday and Sunday all year?

You are behaving exactly like the entitled Americans you decry. It is not currently safe to play football. We need to lock down, stop the spread, and then we can make steps to open back up. You need to make a sacrifice like you are calling others to do. Yeah, it stinks.

I'm with you, I doubt the spring will be much better, but there is a possibility. We can hope. Maybe a vaccine is fast tracked or we find some drug that treats the disease. Who knows?
My whole point revolves around waiting until the last possible moment, but thanks for painting me with a very wide brush.

If colleges cancel or push out football until spring, has anyone heard if the NFL would play Saturday and Sunday all year?
I haven't, but I would guess the networks would love this idea. Get more eyes on more games would be a huge financial win for the networks.

I do not think we are far away from at least one conference coming out and saying we will play in the spring. Hell, California did it with the High Schools. We know that the Ivy is not playing. It is just a matter of time.

Hopefully with the Interferon Beta treatment and the really positive vaccine progress, we might be able to play in the spring. This is where my hope is.

Back