What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac-12 hires MGM's George Kliavkoff to replace Larry Scott as commissioner

Is there going to be room inside HULU and Paramount+ for TV deals? Feels like the Pac12 is mired in all of Larry Scotts s h i t trails and unwinding all of his bad moves is gonna be challenging.

Don't forget Peacock which is owned by Comcast.

The Pac-12 still has four more athletic seasons after this one with the media rights deal that started back in 2012. That is Scott's legacy and will not be undone until the 2025 football season. There is no doubt that the Pac-12 could be trying to get out of the last two to three years of that deal but it was a very complex deal which means getting out of it will be complicated so the conference will probably just let the contract expire in this case.

Don't forget Peacock which is owned by Comcast.

The Pac-12 still has four more athletic seasons after this one with the media rights deal that started back in 2012. That is Scott's legacy and will not be undone until the 2025 football season. There is no doubt that the Pac-12 could be trying to get out of the last two to three years of that deal but it was a very complex deal which means getting out of it will be complicated so the conference will probably just let the contract expire in this case.
Peacock or Paramount+ taking in the P12Nets behind the paywall would be an interesting turn. I had my doubts about things going this way but I now think that thats where were going to end up. Everyone seems to want to steal some of the Netflix pie and to do that you have to have an app and direct to consumer service. That is going to kill the verticals like Dish because more and more of the best content will be OR already is hidden. That could ultimately be good for the P12 but this trend will overall be not so great for us consumers as there will be numerous silos and we will not buy all of them.

The Ratings world doesnt seem to be broken down by geographic region but I sense that there is such data and the networks might want to prioritize one conference over another in terms of if it would benefit their ratings. NBC Peacock seems to have one of the weaker portfolios of content imho so they could bid. NBC has 3 Owned and Operated affiliates in California. CBS Paramount+ could also bid given their loss of some SEC content. CBS has 4 Owned and Operated affiliates in the California/Colorado.

In the long term all of this being inside different silos means the content will be seen on a limited basis. Like boxing the standing of that sports/conference will decline naitonaly.

Last edited:
Is there going to be room inside HULU and Paramount+ for TV deals? Feels like the Pac12 is mired in all of Larry Scotts s h i t trails and unwinding all of his bad moves is gonna be challenging.
Disney now has, ABC, ESPN and it's tv networks, ESPN+, Disney+, and the controlling interest in Hulu. They seem like a pretty natural player in all this.

I have to imagine all the future TV deals are going to include games on the associated streaming services. Games that are televised now on ESPNU are going to be shifted to ESPN+, a TV deal with CBS will have games on Paramount+, NBC and Peacock, etc. It is just going to be another way they get everyone to sign up for their streaming services.

Thinking about going back to DirecTV and dumping dish, then picking up Sling for the Pac. Have any of you done that? Any advice?

BTW, this thought is based on a sales pitch at the AT&T store. Supposedly would save me money and upgrade my internet.

Also, I’d love to dump Dish and their ****ty customer service.

Thinking about going back to DirecTV and dumping dish, then picking up Sling for the Pac. Have any of you done that? Any advice?

BTW, this thought is based on a sales pitch at the AT&T store. Supposedly would save me money and upgrade my internet.

The idea that a business model still exists that involves having to bolt a satellite dish to your house to use a product baffles me.

Upgrade your internet and get FuboTV instead of DTV + Sling.

The idea that a business model still exists that involves having to bolt a satellite dish to your house to use a product baffles me.
I have two dishes on my house. One for tv and one for internet. If cable was an option I would take it but it’s not. I don’t even live that far out of town. Infrastructure is expensive and doesn’t pencil out with low population densities. It’s enough of an issue that Musk started Starlink (also to tell his army of cars where to go.) Three years ago before I moved out here I never would have thought internet access was an issue.

I think I’ve talked to Dish customer service once in the last 2 or 3 years, and that was to negotiate a better rate when my contract expired.

I think I’ve talked to Dish customer service once in the last 2 or 3 years, and that was to negotiate a better rate when my contract expired.
Our screen keeps freezing. We will be watching something then it freezes for 20 or 30 seconds. The customer service lady did a diagnostic and said she couldn’t find anything wrong. I asked her how old the Hopper is and she said you’ve got the newest Hopper. I told her I’ve had it for several years and she started getting angry. I basically said, “Whatever” because I didn’t see the conversation being beneficial. We ended by her saying, “I can’t find anything wrong. Call back if the issue persists. Bye.” The issue persists.

When we had DirecTV they’d have just replaced the damned receiver. The rep couldn’t even tell me how long I’ve had the current one. So now I’m thinking about other options. For me (not my wife’s) a priority is having Altitude and the Pac. That’s the combination that no single provider offers apparently.

Our screen keeps freezing. We will be watching something then it freezes for 20 or 30 seconds. The customer service lady did a diagnostic and said she couldn’t find anything wrong. I asked her how old the Hopper is and she said you’ve got the newest Hopper. I told her I’ve had it for several years and she started getting angry. I basically said, “Whatever” because I didn’t see the conversation being beneficial. We ended by her saying, “I can’t find anything wrong. Call back if the issue persists. Bye.” The issue persists.

When we had DirecTV they’d have just replaced the damned receiver. The rep couldn’t even tell me how long I’ve had the current one. So now I’m thinking about other options. For me (not my wife’s) a priority is having Altitude and the Pac. That’s the combination that no single provider offers apparently.
That sucks. Do you get the same freezing behavior when watching something previously recorded from the DVR, or only live?

bummer. that seems to rule out a dish or cabling issue, and makes a receiver issue more likely. Unless you have a tv issue, or an HDMI cable issue from the receiver to the tv. Have you hooked it up to a different tv, or swapped HDMI cables/ports?

How old is your router?

bummer. that seems to rule out a dish or cabling issue, and makes a receiver issue more likely. Unless you have a tv issue, or an HDMI cable issue from the receiver to the tv. Have you hooked it up to a different tv, or swapped HDMI cables/ports?
It does it on every tv

Peacock or Paramount+ taking in the P12Nets behind the paywall would be an interesting turn. I had my doubts about things going this way but I now think that thats where were going to end up. Everyone seems to want to steal some of the Netflix pie and to do that you have to have an app and direct to consumer service. That is going to kill the verticals like Dish because more and more of the best content will be OR already is hidden. That could ultimately be good for the P12 but this trend will overall be not so great for us consumers as there will be numerous silos and we will not buy all of them.

The Ratings world doesnt seem to be broken down by geographic region but I sense that there is such data and the networks might want to prioritize one conference over another in terms of if it would benefit their ratings. NBC Peacock seems to have one of the weaker portfolios of content imho so they could bid. NBC has 3 Owned and Operated affiliates in California. CBS Paramount+ could also bid given their loss of some SEC content. CBS has 4 Owned and Operated affiliates in the California/Colorado.

In the long term all of this being inside different silos means the content will be seen on a limited basis. Like boxing the standing of that sports/conference will decline naitonaly.

Disney+ just announced they have hit 100M subscribers which is an astounding figure given how long that platform has been active. Some of those subscribers might be also subscribing to the Disney bundle of Disney+, ESPN+, and Hulu+ for $12.99 per month (price last time I checked). I'm definitely sticking with ESPN+ for now but I have held off on getting an annual subscription until July or August so I know which conferences will be on that platform. I have Peacock for free due to my Xfinity internet subscription. $12 for ESPN+ and Paramount+ would be about 1/6 of how much I'd spend on YouTube TV per month. After going through Paramount+, I'm most likely not going to be a regular subscriber so it's just $6 for ESPN+ and I am basically having a trail run on just living off ESPN+. At this point, I can live with just ESPN+ for my sports fix since there is no shortage of college sports I could watch.

I would have no issues with the Pac-12 going with CBS since that means they would be on CBS Sports which is on YouTube TV and Paramount+ would carry more Pac-12 sports especially the P12N. Given the history of Olympic Sports in the P12, it makes sense to go with NBC and the P12 was going to go with NBC until ESPN + Fox Sports stepped in the last minute with a better offer.of $15M more per season. If the highest to lowest bids are not far from each other, I think NBC would be the best fit for the P12.

If the P12N can be on ESPN+, Peacock, Paramount+, or any other platform, that would be great. $1-2M for those G5 schools were only enough to cover the cost of television production for their athletic contests and that was how much each P12 school was getting from the P12N which really amounts to about zero $ for the likes of BuffsTV for instance. That's how big of a disaster the P12N is compared to the Big Ten, SEC, and ACC Networks. That is another reason why I think the P12N needs to be shut down and let all schools seek their own deals plus have games on demand.

I think it’s the Hopper.
I have dish with 3 wired Joey's and 1 wireless. The wireless is always touch-n-go. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. My other Joeys don't have any problems. I assume you have one TV hooked up directly to the Hopper. If that TV cuts out, then I'd blame the Hopper. Otherwise I'd be highly suspicious of the Joeys.

I have dish with 3 wired Joey's and 1 wireless. The wireless is always touch-n-go. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. My other Joeys don't have any problems. I assume you have one TV hooked up directly to the Hopper. If that TV cuts out, then I'd blame the Hopper. Otherwise I'd be highly suspicious of the Joeys.
And that’s the issue. The Joey’s connect to the Hopper via WiFi. The issue happens on all including the hard wired TV.

So I talked to tech support and tried “leading” her toward offering to replace the Hopper. “So, how old is my Hopper?” “I don’t know but you have the newest one.” “But I’ve had it for a few years.” NO YOU HAVEN’T! ITS NEW. CALL BACK IF THE PROBLEM PERSISTS! Good bye.”

ESPN just announced a deal with the NHL and it looks to me like what future sports deals will look like, a blend of all their platforms and some games exclusively on the streaming platforms:

Included will be 25 regular-season games on ESPN or ABC, early-round playoff series and one conference final each year, four Stanley Cup Final series on ABC and more than 1,000 games per season streaming on ESPN+. ESPN+ and Hulu will be home to 75 ESPN-produced exclusive telecasts per season.

Included will be 25 regular-season games on ESPN or ABC, early-round playoff series and one conference final each year, four Stanley Cup Final series on ABC and more than 1,000 games per season streaming on ESPN+. ESPN+ and Hulu will be home to 75 ESPN-produced exclusive telecasts per season.

ESPN+ just had a price hike to $5.99/month. I don't think it will be long before it is $6.99/month.

Going to be curious about the NHL blackout rules if they apply to Avs games.

ESPN+ just had a price hike to $5.99/month. I don't think it will be long before it is $6.99/month.

Going to be curious about the NHL blackout rules if they apply to Avs games.
Disney or an analyst mentioned around their last earnings call that increases would be coming. my guess is they are holding the price for now in order to attract as many subscribers possible before slowly nudging prices up

Disney or an analyst mentioned around their last earnings call that increases would be coming. my guess is they are holding the price for now in order to attract as many subscribers possible before slowly nudging prices up
And improve the new series content library before they do.

Back