What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

College Football News, Rumor & Humor

Honestly, what’s to stop a school from recruiting 120 players and having boosters pay the expenses for the 86-120 who don’t get “scholarships”?
Nothing, but if you’re recruit 119 and 120 at Alabama, what good does that do when you literally never seen the field and probably don’t even dress or travel for games

We're never, ever going to play for anything worth anything again, are we?
I floated the idea of splitting college football in tiers with a promotion and relegation system, so theoretically, every team has a reasonable chance at a winning record or bowl game. I was soundly chastised by the wisdom of this board (with more than a little bias against soccer leagues). I even left in a mechanism to maintain key rivalries. I still think it would work well, but the biggest hurdle is tv contracts. Anyway, the current arrangement is a nice farm system for the NFL and will lead to many universities abandoning football.

The effect of removing the 25 initial qualifier rule is that it will effectively allow teams to cut under performers. Again, this will benefit a team like Alabama. They will push out the five star misses to the transfer portal (someone will pick them up based on their high school rating) and then they can sign a whole new crop of elite preps and transfers.

I think it will also be bad for (most of) the players. Many teams will now look at things like semi pro and just dump players. When you get dumped by Alabama, not the biggest deal. Dumped at the bottom tier of the power 5, you may wind up with nothing. No free ride, and certainly no NIL deal.

Without the 25 counter rule Nebraska will be able to recruit enough to make up for the half of their team that transfers out every year. :LOL:

That Alabama-A&M rivalry is getting warmer after Saban said that A&M bought all of their players.

Yeah I mean, the rules would be great, but it makes no difference if they aren’t going to investigate and enforce them against all programs, including the blue bloods.
Could also be an acknowledgment of sorts that they know the big schools are going to ditch the NCAA soon, and they’re establishing some parameters for everybody else so they can get used to following them.

Does amateurism still exist after NIL?

Because what came down from DC seems to say that high schools and their boosters can do exactly what NCAA schools and their boosters are doing.

Because what came down from DC seems to say that high schools and their boosters can do exactly what NCAA schools and their boosters are doing.
Meh, the NCAA is the named party in the SCOTUS decisions. I don’t think high schools are under the same classification since there’s no national body brokering multi-billion dollar media deals like the NCAA.

I'm sure this would make @hawg1 go six to midnight, but I truly believe the more the SEC isolates itself from the rest of the field, the worse off they are going to be.

Much like the Olympics had a brief period where the pros were allowed to compete and many did, I think this too will subside after the initial fervor dies down. It feels to me like the NCAA is already starting to position itself as a governing body for those schools who decide to abide by their rules and will let the others go do their own thing. Where I think it will get interesting is for the other sports. Football rules, but it will be tough for some schools to basically discard their basketball, baseball, lacrosse, hockey, swimming, wrestling, whatever programs in order to play for football glory and lots and lots of money. Some will, no doubt. I think schools like Michigan and Oregon (for example) that have very strong non-football programs will think twice about ditching the NCAA. We are in for some interesting times.

I'm sure this would make @hawg1 go six to midnight, but I truly believe the more the SEC isolates itself from the rest of the field, the worse off they are going to be.

Be worse for everyone else, just add to the money the SEC makes.

We can see the separation of the highest dollar programs in college football into their own division or more likely own governing body happening sooner than later. The SEC already has more of those eventual big dollar programs than any other conference and has already stripped four teams from the B12.

This may simply be a part of a plan by the SEC to build this eventual organization around their leadership and influence.

If their next steps are to add USC and Oregon from the PAC12, Clemson, Miami, and Free Shoes U from the ACC, 4-6 from the B1G, how far are they at that point from dominating the sport and the media money that comes with it.

At that point you would have some other programs begging them for an invite but the path will already be set.

Be worse for everyone else, just add to the money the SEC makes.

We can see the separation of the highest dollar programs in college football into their own division or more likely own governing body happening sooner than later. The SEC already has more of those eventual big dollar programs than any other conference and has already stripped four teams from the B12.

This may simply be a part of a plan by the SEC to build this eventual organization around their leadership and influence.

If their next steps are to add USC and Oregon from the PAC12, Clemson, Miami, and Free Shoes U from the ACC, 4-6 from the B1G, how far are they at that point from dominating the sport and the media money that comes with it.

At that point you would have some other programs begging them for an invite but the path will already be set.
I just don't see Ohio State and Michigan getting on their knees for the SEC like A&M, OU and UT have done. I don't see USC doing it either, tbh, but USC is in a ****ty conference situation, so maybe they would be desperate. I could definitely see Oregon begging to join because they're a historically **** program that is only relevant because of PK and Nike. The Florida schools and Clemson would all probably bail on the ACC in a heartbeat if they could afford to break their deal with the conference. Probably North Carolina too.

Most of the Pac 12 and ACC, along with the entire Big 12, and two thirds of the B1G need Ohio State and Michigan to stay out of the SEC

Most of the Pac 12 and ACC, along with the entire Big 12, and two thirds of the B1G need Ohio State and Michigan to stay out of the SEC
If the goal is to retain status quo, then I agree. I have come to the conclusion that status quo is no longer a viable option for CU. Let USC and Oregon, OSU, Penn St, and whoever else fancies themselves college football royalty go form their own quasi-pro league. The rest of us will (hopefully) be left with something that resembles what we all liked about college athletics. That’s my hope, anyway. I feel like that’s definitely the road we are all on at the moment.

I just don't see Ohio State and Michigan getting on their knees for the SEC like A&M, OU and UT have done. I don't see USC doing it either, tbh, but USC is in a ****ty conference situation, so maybe they would be desperate. I could definitely see Oregon begging to join because they're a historically **** program that is only relevant because of PK and Nike. The Florida schools and Clemson would all probably bail on the ACC in a heartbeat if they could afford to break their deal with the conference. Probably North Carolina too.

Take that money that is currently split among five P5 conferences and channel 60% or more into the super conference and you are easily talking about $60 million a year or more per team. They may even be looking to make it to $100 million per team.

Ohio State might act like they are bothered but would make the jump. Penn State goes without hesitating and and either or with Wisconsin and Michigan State means one of those two jump quickly. At that point Michigan wants to maintain some academic integrity but has no intention of being left out of the big time, they go.

The only thing that could stop this all from happening would be Notre Dame inviting Michigan and a couple of others to an alternative. Not likely to happen because ND like their money as well but possible.

And yes the majority of the "left overs" would love to see Michigan and Notre Dame stay out but the money involved makes that very unlikely.

Back