What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

College Football News, Rumor & Humor

Sorry, you don't resign from reading a single word aloud. There's clearly a LOT more going on and this is a convenient excuse.
Considering what some other coaches have said and kept their jobs don't see any way that you are wrong. Somebody was looking for an excuse to get rid of him and he gave it to them.

That said if the triggering event happened the way it is described then I would hate to be that player who wasn't paying attention in the meeting and who's tablet was read from.

Even if there was some stuff going on Gundy clearly has his supporters in the OU community and that would include a significant number of players on the team that he coached and recruited. That player could easily end up being blamed for this happening and be in an uncomfortable position.

Sorry, you don't resign from reading a single word aloud. There's clearly a LOT more going on and this is a convenient excuse.
That a guy with 30 years tenure would have to resign because he read something on a player's iPad out loud. Doesn't make sense that this is all there is to it.
I'm picturing it starting the way he described it and he was also angry at the player not paying attention. Then he went on a verbal tirade afterwards continuing to use the "bad word". He conveniently left that part out, but it is what actually got him fired.

I'm picturing it starting the way he described it and he was also angry at the player not paying attention. Then he went on a verbal tirade afterwards continuing to use the "bad word". He conveniently left that part out, but it is what actually got him fired.
Very possible. And somebody was looking for a reason to get rid of him.

Consider that many around here loved Chev until they didn't. Gundy was a guy who had decades in college coaching and was a WR coach.

Even if he had gone on a tirade, even if he had thrown things if the people in charge had wanted him around is there any question he would still be there. Keep in mind that this is the school that had Barry Switzer as a head coach, that more recently had a RB who as a freshman punched a woman hard enough to break bones in her face.

Very possible. And somebody was looking for a reason to get rid of him.

Consider that many around here loved Chev until they didn't. Gundy was a guy who had decades in college coaching and was a WR coach.

Even if he had gone on a tirade, even if he had thrown things if the people in charge had wanted him around is there any question he would still be there. Keep in mind that this is the school that had Barry Switzer as a head coach, that more recently had a RB who as a freshman punched a woman hard enough to break bones in her face.
Stop. Nobody was looking to get rid of him. There may be more to this story, but that's not the case.

That a guy with 30 years tenure would have to resign because he read something on a player's iPad out loud. Doesn't make sense that this is all there is to it.

Wait just a second, are you positing that wokeness hasn't affected everything in American, including the University of Oklahoma football program?

I am shocked.

So, within the context of the twitter post, you'd be ok with this?
I’m never OK with the N word.
Maybe there is more to it.
His apology was pitch perfect.
The players lost a good coach.
He might re-emerge. Or not.

I’m never OK with the N word.
Maybe there is more to it.
His apology was pitch perfect.
The players lost a good coach.
He might re-emerge. Or not.

Maybe it's just me, but an "apology" that fronts that the apologizer accidentally said or did something hurtful isn't pitch perfect. The whole story is bizarre--if you accept that he accidentally said the N-word, then there's no reason he should lose his job.

Maybe it's just me, but an "apology" that fronts that the apologizer accidentally said or did something hurtful isn't pitch perfect. The whole story is bizarre--if you accept that he accidentally said the N-word, then there's no reason he should lose his job.
There you go.

There’s no way in hell a guy who’s been affiliated with a football program first as a player and then a well-respected coach for 30+ years (who’s also a beast recruiter BTW) would get fired for accidentally saying one horrible word one time. The super vague reactions coming from the OU people make me think something really bad happened and they just want to let him leave with some dignity in tact.

There’s no way in hell a guy who’s been affiliated with a football program first as a player and then a well-respected coach for 30+ years (who’s also a beast recruiter BTW) would get fired for accidentally saying one horrible word one time. The super vague reactions coming from the OU people make me think something really bad happened and they just want to let him leave with some dignity in tact.
Exactly. I'm not going to believe a story that asks me to assume the truth of the situation is way outside what is reasonable.

I’ve seen Venables’ statement. Are others talking?

It could also be a history of poor behavior combined with a new regime. It is assuredly not what Gundy described.

Back