What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

College Football News, Rumor & Humor

I thought professors already had to prepare both though since they have to give the option to students.
In my experience, preparing both versions of the course would be about a 25% increase in workload, and I was the instructor that helped other instructors figure out how to get things done in online course management software platforms, I imagine the workload would be far greater for the less tech savvy. A common experience for adjuncts, who do a significant proportion of the instruction at a college, is to have a contract that pays for about 70-80% of the actual hours that you end up having to work to effectively teach a course. The only way to get through a semester with a shred of sanity is to be very well prepared; my prep work would usually start at about 5-10 hours a week at the beginning of July (unpaid) for classes starting after Labor Day, with about a 20 hour workweek the week before classes started (maybe paid 5 hours for showing up to school and department meetings and training seminars).

Having certainty about what the semester is going to look like will make the online course delivery far, far better. I have a dozen or so friends who are University Profs, and they're all in favor of defaulting to teaching this fall online (excepting laboratory and art studio types of courses) given the extremely high odds that shutting down or greatly reducing in person instruction is going to happen.

Good point. Who the **** knows.
I do? Curriculum for online courses is not typically designed by the professor. It is designed by the overall program. Online programs (not just remote learning) use a whole different set of tools and methods to ensure effective learning.

You don't just take an in-person class, turn on Zoom and go. It is just a different structure if you're doing it well.

I do? Curriculum for online courses is not typically designed by the professor. It is designed by the overall program. Online programs (not just remote learning) use a whole different set of tools and methods to ensure effective learning.

You don't just take an in-person class, turn on Zoom and go. It is just a different structure if you're doing it well.
Congrats? Thanks for the explanation.

I am sure that is the way it is supposed to be done to be really effective. However, having 3 in college at different schools including CU, it has mostly been give lecture on zoom. Very, very ineffective. Would be better off taking courses designed to be online at the University of Phoenix than paying $40,000 a year to be at CU or USC right now.

I am sure that is the way it is supposed to be done to be really effective. However, having 3 in college at different schools including CU, it has mostly been give lecture on zoom. Very, very ineffective. Would be better off taking courses designed to be online at the University of Phoenix than paying $40,000 a year to be at CU or USC right now.
University of Phoenix aint cheap either, but you don’t have to pay room and board.

Isn't this what I just said?

CU's College of Engineering and Applied Science has been doing distance learning for 25 years+ now. There is no excuse for not being able to deliver content online at this point.

CU's College of Engineering and Applied Science has been doing distance learning for 25 years+ now. There is no excuse for not being able to deliver content online at this point.
True, but students that want a real on-campus experience shouldn't be expected to pay full freight for youtube classes.

True, but students that want a real on-campus experience shouldn't be expected to pay full freight for youtube classes.
These aren't youtube classes. The way they are run is a live presentation with back and forth, we used Go To Meeting, can be any video conferencing software. Assignments were real, discussion was real. Of course there were some live members in the lecture hall, but they could just as easily be done without.

Reactions: dio
I personally agree that students who are paying for an on-campus experience are getting shafted with remote classes. But I also know the University is doing this because they feel like they have to to survive financially. Remember that CU has had 50% of their already meager state funding cut (in fairness, I do believe some chunk of that is coming back from the feds)

I will also note that you can get a CU degree through a dedicated, 100% online experience these days! And my understanding is that the tuition is reduced a fair bit.

This would make sense with Bama having lost the USC game and ND having lost the Wisconsin game and 2 games against Pac12 teams

Back