What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

College Football News, Rumor & Humor

giphy.gif

In the case of the Oregon “Civil War,” which team is supposed to the the Union and which is supposed to be the Confederacy?

in a truly geographic sense, Eugene is to the south of Corvallis. In a cultural sense beaver fans are more likely to be racist. In a sporting sense I want to see the ducks loose badly and be remembered as losers in the history books

I’m not offended at all. I just believe it to be another example of this major overreaction culture we are living that causes even more unintended and unnecessary divisiveness because of the cries of the vocal minority. To my knowledge, we haven’t heard any outrage over the name of that rivalry game by any of the black players or coaches over the years, so why are white University leaders making this completely trivial change?

It’s similar to the complete feel good rule the SEC instituted making about no NATIONAL championships being held in MS until the flag is changed. I believe they should change the flag, but how many NC games in any sport are held in that state anyways? If Sankey wanted to enact actual change, he would institute something that actually has teeth.

All these changes are just white people trying to show that they are doing something for the cause during these times, even though nobody is actually asking for them.
I appreciate you filling the DBT gap. You're doing a great job.

I appreciate you filling the DBT gap. You're doing a great job.
Appreciate the conversation from you. As always.
Burrito converses this same way in person too. He’ll write something insulting on his phone and have you read it while he giggles to himself thinking about the next insulting thing he’ll come up with.

My Confederate Past
Everyone who grew up in Mississippi was steeped in the Confederacy. Even if they didn’t realize it.

"I was born in the 1950s to parents who met at Ole Miss. The role Ole Miss football played in my life was basically what the Catholic Church is to the Jesuits. It was both a belief system and the organizing principle of life. Saturdays in the fall were the Holy Days when the Faithful would gather and reinforce our devotion through the shared communion of ritual.

These were not football games but celebrations of the Lost Cause of the Confederacy. Only this time our 11 soldiers on the field of battle more often than not emerged victorious. At halftime the band marched in Confederate battle gray uniforms while Colonel Reb led the cheerleaders in unfolding what was billed as the world’s largest Confederate flag. (Even as a 10-year-old I remember wondering, “How big was the second-largest flag?”) Cheerleaders threw bundles of Confederate flags into the stands. We stood and swayed together singing Dixie, always ending in the stadium-shaking cry, “The South Shall Rise Again.”

It was at halftime in the 1962 Ole Miss-Kentucky game at Jackson’s Memorial Stadium—walking distance from my home—that Governor Ross Barnett gave his famous speech calling for states’ rights. We beat Kentucky that afternoon and the next day in Oxford there began the last pitched battle of the Civil War. It took 30,000 troops to force the University of Mississippi to accept a single black student."

I had heard the UA is bordering on bankruptcy. This may be them exploring any option that presents itself to get out of that big dollar contract.

Under Armor is absolutely bordering on bankruptcy. If I were UCLA, it may be well to bargain for a one time termination fee with UA, then sign an immediate new apparel deal with someone else. The leverage on the new deal wouldn’t be the best for bargaining, but they would have to weigh that against what a chapter 11 filing for UA may mean for their contract.

Sports was already on the cusp of a major re-pricing before Covid 19. The contracts the networks like ESPN signed made sense under the cable TV model where nearly everyone’s paid a huge monthly carriage fee to them whether they were a sports fan or not. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your POV) with cord cutting, the non sports fans will be subsidizing sports far less. There are plenty of services available that do not include ESPN or FS1 or the traditional networks at all.

I suspect coaches salaries, college athletic budgets, pro salaries, all of it will be in deflation over the next decade.

Last edited:
Under Armor is absolutely bordering on bankruptcy. If I were UCLA, it may be well to bargain for a one time termination fee with UA, then sign an immediate new apparel deal with someone else. The leverage on the new deal wouldn’t be the best for bargaining, but they would have to weigh that against what a chapter 11 filing for UA May mean for their contract.

Sports was already on the cusp of a major re-pricing before Covid 19. The contracts the networks like ESPN signed made sense under the cable TV model where nearly everyone’s paid a huge monthly carriage fee to them whether they were a sports fan or not. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your POV) with cord cutting, the non sports fans will be subsidizing sports far less. There are plenty of services available that do not include ESPN or FS1 or the traditional networks at all.

I suspect coaches salaries, college athletic budgets, pro salaries, all of it will be in deflation over the next decade.
If UA is in such bad shape what make you think Nike, Addidas, or X Y or Z is in any better shape? Especially to offer a payday to a program that might not play a single televised event for 12 months? Soccer is the only thing playing right now. And its only the Pros. College sports are a much more precarious venture at the moment

KSU football players are real upset over a tweet by an idiot student there and are threatening to not suit up for KSU again. I don't get how some pro-Trump people can't keep a low profile in days like this.

I applaud the stance the SEC, C-USA, and NCAA have taken towards the Confederate flag which needs to go away. I get that people use it to show off their southern heritage but I can't get past the fact that the US Civil War was fought over the issue of slavery and the Confederates supported slavery. I don't get what is so good about slavery in general. As for the OSU-UO thing, I can't tie that rivalry to the US Civil War so I think that was an overreaction...which doesn't surprise me based on how easy it is to get UO fans worked up so it's probably a reflection of people from OR.

If UA is in such bad shape what make you think Nike, Addidas, or X Y or Z is in any better shape? Especially to offer a payday to a program that might not play a single televised event for 12 months? Soccer is the only thing playing right now. And its only the Pros. College sports are a much more precarious venture at the moment
UA was struggling before COVID, and it's earnings reports were even worse than expected for Q1, which barely captured a couple weeks of COVID impact.

UA put a bunch of money into trying to develop it's own mini city in Baltimore, and has slowed down or stopped its spending there. Kevin Plank founded UA, and is somewhat problematic; his brother Scott is a sloppy, lecherous drunk who has been given too much responsibility with the company.

This really puts UCLA in a bind, as you point out that all other apparel companies are going to be taking a hit; but the UA issues go beyond the issues in common with other apparel companies, and this is why we see UA first up to try to abandon a contract with a school.

That Kansas State story is not great. The First Amendment still needs to mean something going forward, so the idea there will be a new expulsion policy is really wishful thinking.

Last edited:

KSU football players are real upset over a tweet by an idiot student there and are threatening to not suit up for KSU again. I don't get how some pro-Trump people can't keep a low profile in days like this.

I applaud the stance the SEC, C-USA, and NCAA have taken towards the Confederate flag which needs to go away. I get that people use it to show off their southern heritage but I can't get past the fact that the US Civil War was fought over the issue of slavery and the Confederates supported slavery. I don't get what is so good about slavery in general. As for the OSU-UO thing, I can't tie that rivalry to the US Civil War so I think that was an overreaction...which doesn't surprise me based on how easy it is to get UO fans worked up so it's probably a reflection of people from OR.
FWIW, that idiot student unfortunately has profile and followers on that campus. He's not the random idiot that exposes his racism with an ignorant question in a history class, he's an organizer who is pushing an agenda and is trying to utilize University resources to further his agenda.

From what I'm gleaning so far, he's not actually getting access to University resources.

That Kansas State story is not great. The First Amendment still needs to mean something going forward, so the idea there will be a new expulsion policy is really wishful thinking.
Do you see room for exclusion of hate speech from protection under the First Amendment?

This goes much deeper than an ignorant tweet, McNeil has a long running history of hateful speech an organizing.

The student paper at KSU has a good article that provides the context.

This is from February

That one is long,

Here's a TL,DR quote from it:

Discussing his Kansas State University coursework, McNeil whined, “I couldn’t make it through 2 class periods of ‘Immigration history.’ I was hoping to learn about how my epic ancestors assimilated and helped build the greatest nation under God, but instead we talked about ‘white guilt’ and illegals. Dropped. On to History: The Rise of Europe.”

Last edited:
I should have phrased that very differently. It's pretty clear that the courts see hate speech as protected.

Does anyone see value in amending the Constitution to stop hate speech from being protected by the First Amendment?
I'm sure you didn't mean it this way, but this is about as un-American an idea as you can get.

Back