What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

College Football News, Rumor & Humor

Absolutism sucks...
yes, but our founding fathers unfortunately used a lot of absolute language in the constitution ("shall make no laws", "shall not be infringed"). fortunately, they also gave us an amendment process to correct it; we should use it.
...does criminalizing death threats render the First Amendment meaningless?
I wouldn't say 'meaningless' but I'd say "far less meaningful". once the Pandora's box is open to interpretations that are not clarification of ambiguity, but rather contradictions of the ratified language (typically because it was too absolute and we lacked the political will to amend), I think we've made the constitution less meaningful, opening up differing interpretations as the court makeups change.

Morehouse College cancelled their football season due to the inability to separate their athletes from their student body.

Given the six week preseason program for D1 schools, a decision might have to be made within the next two to three weeks on the upcoming football seasons for many schools. With COVID-19 rates going up, I don't think it looks good for this upcoming CFB season.

Hope you all have college football or Madden NFL games...that might be the only football you get this year.

I am guessing Morehouse College loses money on their football program, so makes complete sense to cancel.

Enrollment is going to be down across the country and it will affect the activity fees that students pay towards the AD.

And avoiding lawsuits as well.

I guess kNU and Baylor won’t be exposed to that particular conundrum.

If that game was in Waco, it'd be a sell out.

Edit: full of corn-cob fans who will end up contracting COVID-19. Addition by subtraction.

Last edited:
If that game was in Waco, it'd be a sell out.

Edit: full of corn-cob fans who will end up contracting COVID-19. Addition by subtraction.
Considering the demographics of the average corn ticket holder and the statistics with Covid 19 a lot of their fans may be looking at this year as a chance to move 5-8,000 spots up the waiting list for season tickets.

Umm that is bad. Like end of the AD bad

Man, if the P12 ever wanted to replace WSU with a more lucrative "competitive" school, this could be the opportunity.

After thinking for a hot second, this could actually be the impetus for the top 30-60 schools to actually leave the rest behind. Those schools might not even need to leave the NCAA - everyone else may be "voluntarily" dropping down to FCS or even D2 or D3.

Man, if the P12 ever wanted to replace WSU with a more lucrative "competitive" school, this could be the opportunity.

After thinking for a hot second, this could actually be the impetus for the top 30-60 schools to actually leave the rest behind. Those schools might not even need to leave the NCAA - everyone else may be "voluntarily" dropping down to FCS or even D2 or D3.
So... Colorado State?

Dropping Cal too.
Under Armour also is seeking to end its 10-year, $86 million deal to outfit players at University of California, Berkeley, which is contesting the move as well, the Financial Times reported Tuesday. And Boston College said Tuesday that it is in talks with Under Armour about its deal, which expires in 2024.

Agreed, I have been wondering if this might be the impetus to create a 60ish team FBS top division.

It would never happen, but it would be so amazing to break the 130 FBS schools into 3 or 4 divisions and do promotion and relegation every year like European soccer leagues.

The first one to agree to a new deal will get the best one. The jesuits are, unsurprisingly, the first to see this.
I think that may be more of a regional thing with UA scaling back to focus only on ACC/B1G 10 schools with Maryland as their flagship (an unfortunate choice based on it being Kevin Plank's Alma Mater).

Whete does CU end up in your scenario?

Umm that is bad. Like end of the AD bad

How the hell do you get out of a 100 million dollar deficit and how the hell did that happen in the first place? Reading the article, no one really seems all that surprised either.

There is obviously no positives with COVID, but I guess one thing that might come of this is college athletic departments are getting a massive awakening that the free spending is not sustainable. One year with really bad revenues and it turns out to be devastating to a large number of AD's. That's ridiculous and complete mismanagement.

I've said this before, but if there is no football this year, it will be the end to some and potentially a lot of athletic departments.

I've been talking about this for years.

Big time college football is simply getting too expensive for most schools to come close to competing. As the TV landscape changes that is going to get even more divided. The networks that are paying want big name programs in their time slots.

Those schools that are generating the revenue aren't going to be willing to continue to share it with the tail end programs (in terms of revenue generation) and the schools that are left out which will include almost if not all the G5 schools are going to be left fighting for even smaller scraps.

D1 (which may actually end up being a completely new and separate organization from the NCAA) with 40-60 schools.
Second tier consisting of most of the G5 schools and some top FCS schools like NDSU and the Montana schools as examples
Third tier with the lower half of current FCS and top D2 schools (Northern Colorado and CSU Pueblo would fit here)
Fourth including lower D2 teams and most current D3.

Top tier with players paid for their images and all athletes receiving checks to cover (cost of enrollment.) Programs run almost like a pro franchise.
Second tier with 60-75 scholarships, no payments for cost of enrollment (similar to what the rules currently allow.) Full coaching staff, fly to most or many games
Third tier with 50-65 scholarships but those scholarships can be split allowing financial aid for a larger number of players. Smaller football staff, bus to most games.
Fourth tier limited if any scholarships, programs run similar to a top HS program with limited staff and bus to most games.

Some programs are not going to be very happy being forced down because they will no longer be able to claim they are "big time" but in the end they won't have much choice. A few schools may make the decision that if they are no longer in the top division they might as well either drop football or drop down to a significantly cheaper level going from current G5 to the third or fourth tier. I could see schools like San Jose State and UMass giving up football entirely.

CSU would try to hold on as high as they could for as long as they can and that second tier would be a natural fit for them.

CU despite our terrible results in recent years still would fit revenue wise into the top tier. We get good TV ratings (much better when we are winning) and we draw well on the road.

Question is if the administration would be willing to commit to maintaining a program that requires that kind of financial and administrative support.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I have no idea how that would play out. I know what I would prefer, but my preference will mean jack ****.

I could see CU being in or out.

It helps a lot that our AD is generally fairly fiscally responsible (especially compared to some of our peers).

But let's put it this way: for a lot of schools, they would have a Hobson's choice. Either drop down a tier or two, or fold their program entirely.

For CU, I don't think we'd end up there. I think the institution would actually have a real choice. I honestly don't know what the decision would be.

My neighbor is a professor and told me it takes a lot longer to prepare an online course than an in person course. If that's the case it makes sense they needed to make the call early.
I thought professors already had to prepare both though since they have to give the option to students.

• One years of probation.
  • A fine of $5,000.
  • A reduction in football official visits by 17 days during the 2019-20 academic year.
  • An off-campus recruiting ban for the entire football coaching staff for November 2019, which reduced the permissible evaluation days for the 2019-20 academic year by 19.
  • A seven-day off-campus recruiting ban for the football coaching staff for the 2020 spring off-campus recruiting period and a 10-day off-campus recruiting ban for the football coaching staff for the 2020 fall off-campus recruiting period.
  • The university ended its recruitment of the prospect.
  • A ban on recruiting any prospects from the prospect's high school for the 2019-20, 2020-21 and 2021-222 academic years.
  • A six-month show-cause order for the head coach. The terms of the show-cause order include a previously served nine-day ban on phone calls, emails or texts with prospects in January 2020; a reduction in off-campus recruiting contact days by three for the December 2019 through January 2020 contact period; a ban on all off-campus recruiting activities for the fall 2020 contact period; additional one-on-one rules education; and a public statement from the head coach addressing the violations.

Back