What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

College Football News, Rumor & Humor

You don't seem to understand the problem. More contact more risk. Reaction to risk is too late.

I get the problem perfectly well, thanks-Its the spring crowd (any spring season start would probably be in February or March-which is the peak of the US Cold and Flu season) thinking that that is going to mean zero issues who doesn't. There's more risk IMO to playing in the spring because of that-and there will be the COVID cancellations we're seeing now in the spring.

AFA is still planning on playing Army and Navy this fall. Here's the problem I'm having with the stance of Newsom in particular-Even with the virus and the piss-poor air quality in California, its okay for the Rams, Chargers, and Niners to practice daily........but the college teams in California can't?
And one of those NFL teams held their camp on UC-Irvine's campus.

I think Allbuffs places too much prominence on USC.

They've had little national relevance, at least on the East coast and Midwest, since I've been following college football. Ask fans in those regions who they think of when hearing "traditional west coast powerhouse" and you're going to get as many, if not more, Oregon, Stanford and UCLA responses.

Yes, USC had two MNCs about 20 years ago, but the point most CFB fans outside the Pac recall about those is that USC used an ineligible player to win them.

I see the Pac12 return to prominence through the rise of public schools. CU in the South, and Oregon or UW in the North, can take up the mantle.

They've had little national relevance, at least on the East coast and Midwest, since I've been following college football. Ask fans in those regions who they think of when hearing "traditional west coast powerhouse" and you're going to get as many, if not more, Oregon, Stanford and UCLA responses.

Yes, USC had two MNCs about 20 years ago, but the point most CFB fans outside the Pac recall about those is that USC used an ineligible player to win them.

I see the Pac12 return to prominence through the rise of public schools. CU in the South, and Oregon or UW in the North, can take up the mantle.
With all due respect, if that's the East Coast attitude about West Coast powerhouse football, there's a serious problem with East Coast football IQ. UCLA has never been a football power, Stanford and Oregon have been really good and definitely better football programs than all but one in the ACC, but neither are blue bloods. There is no program in the Pac 12 that has the potential to be on the level of Alabama, Georgia, Clemson and Ohio State than USC does.

I get the problem perfectly well, thanks-Its the spring crowd (any spring season start would probably be in February or March-which is the peak of the US Cold and Flu season) thinking that that is going to mean zero issues who doesn't. There's more risk IMO to playing in the spring because of that-and there will be the COVID cancellations we're seeing now in the spring.
Maybe I'm not getting it then. I'm not sure why you brought up spring? Here's what I'm thinking, please help: More contact now means more infection spread now which means the likelihood of a spring season decreases. The CDC states that peak flu season is "fall and winter" How can better containment now result in more risk in the spring?

With all due respect, if that's the East Coast attitude about West Coast powerhouse football, there's a serious problem with East Coast football IQ. UCLA has never been a football power, Stanford and Oregon have been really good and definitely better football programs than all but one in the ACC, but neither are blue bloods. There is no program in the Pac 12 that has the potential to be on the level of Alabama, Georgia, Clemson and Ohio State than USC does.
Re: UCLA, I'm speaking more to the Midwest. They were the perennial Rose Bowl entrant when I started following CFB in the early '80s, and in B1G country, it's still all about the Rose to most fans over the Allbuffs age.

Honestly, USC with their empty stadium is an embarrassment to the conference. Even when they're in first place, their own fans don't show up.

If for no other reason than $$$, why is it you don't believe UO has the same potential, if not more, than SC?

Re: UCLA, I'm speaking more to the Midwest. They were the perennial Rose Bowl entrant when I started following CFB in the early '80s, and in B1G country, it's still all about the Rose to most fans over the Allbuffs age.

Honestly, USC with their empty stadium is an embarrassment to the conference. Even when they're in first place, their own fans don't show up.

If for no other reason than $$$, why is it you don't believe UO has the same potential, if not more, than SC?

Oregon is in a terrible recruiting area, it’s academics are middling at best, and it is supported almost entirely by a single prominent alumnus who is ancient. Oregon wil revert to mean with Uncle Phil’s passing. The University of Washington is the real power up there.

USC has been to the mountain top on more than one occasion and their alumni demand that level of success or won’t support the team. I lived in LA during the mid-2000s. Getting USC tickets was next to impossible because of the star power on the field and on the sidelines. Going to USC games was an event. They’re not diehards. But, USC was the best program in the country in recruiting and on the field for a good 5-6 years in the last 20 years. No one in this conference (aside from Colorado in late 80s/early 90s) has even come close.

Last edited:
Oregon is in a terrible recruiting area, it’s academics are middling at best, and it is supported almost entirely by a single prominent alumnus who is ancient. Oregon wil revert to mean with Uncle Phil’s passing. The University of Washington is the real power up there.
Oregon’s AD has been endowed by Uncle Phil for many generations beyond his demise.

Because in order to truly be in contention for the CFP, you have to consistently be recruiting in the top 3-5 in the country, and Oregon just isn't going to do that on a yearly basis. Outside of Georgia, Texas and the Florida programs, there isn't a program in the country with a more built-in recruiting advantage as USC. When they are rolling, they are also the lone program in the conference who can consistently go into SEC land and pull kids, specifically the DL types that the Pac 12 footprint really lacks.

This.
This.
This.
This and this.

I must be talking to wrong midwesterners and southerners because USC is viewed as the power out west by a lot of people.

Washington hasn't outrecruited Oregon since 2013, and UW will never have more money and resources than Oregon, even after Phil passes. They are a close third in the conference hierarchy, right now*, but there is nothing to suggest UW is the power in the North.

I italicize this because, while they had a nice 3 year run with Peterson from 2016-2018, there's still a lot to be determined with how good they'll be under Jimmy Lake.

Maybe I'm not getting it then. I'm not sure why you brought up spring? Here's what I'm thinking, please help: More contact now means more infection spread now which means the likelihood of a spring season decreases. The CDC states that peak flu season is "fall and winter" How can better containment now result in more risk in the spring?

We're miscommunicating on some of this-I've put this take in posts I've written on high school sports in Colorado, and I'll add it here: Based off the way the common cold behaves during the fall and winter, saying an increase in COVID-19 cases is likely seems like a pretty safe bet. The CDC also says that cold/flu activity peaks between December-March.

My take on this has nothing to do with containment: I simply think its safer (ie lower odds of COVID cancellations) to play now than it would be to play in the spring-given Sir Lawrence says that would likely involve a January start.

How do you figure? Their revenue is $6m more than Oregon’s but the private donations have massively favored Oregon

The University of Washington is a premier tier 1 academic research institution with a massive alumni base. It’s overall budget dwarfs little old Oregon. If you were to simply tour both institutions, it would be pretty easy to see which is a lion and which is a lamb. (For the record, I’ve attended both.)

....it is supported almost entirely by a single prominent alumnus who is ancient. Oregon wil revert to mean with Uncle Phil’s passing....
I think this happens only if they (likely illegally) invade the principal on what is rumoured to be the largest endowment ever given to a public U.

The University of Washington is a premier tier 1 academic research institution with a massive alumni base. It’s overall budget dwarfs little old Oregon. If you were to simply tour both institutions, it would be pretty easy to see which is a lion and which is a lamb. (For the record, I’ve attended both.)
How does that translate into $$ and resources for athletics, though? I'm genuinely curious about this, as I figured Oregon dwarfs everyone except SC in the Pac 12 in athletic $$/resources, but I am seeing differently when I start researching a little.

Example is seeing UW AD generating $6m more in revenue than Oregon in 2019, but according to a 2015 article I found, the Ducks were #2 (behind aTm) in the country in private donations. UW was like #9 or #10 or something but with about $25m less than Oregon.

USC checks just about every box for an institution and athletic department.

No other School in the western United States even comes close. USC's problem has been that their most prominent alumni's have treated the AD as a country club. The support, money, and resources are all there for them to be dominant year and year out. This isn't even a debate.

How does that translate into $$ and resources for athletics, though? I'm genuinely curious about this, as I figured Oregon dwarfs everyone except SC in the Pac 12 in athletic $$/resources, but I am seeing differently when I start researching a little.

Example is seeing UW AD generating $6m more in revenue than Oregon in 2019, but according to a 2015 article I found, the Ducks were #2 (behind aTm) in the country in private donations. UW was like #9 or #10 or something but with about $25m less than Oregon.
Stanford has the most money/resources in the pac 12.

Back