What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

College Football News, Rumor & Humor

IMO the playoffs have been horrible for the sport -- worse than I predicted. expanding on something bad (i.e. making it worse) seems like a huge mistake to me.

I hope I'm wrong.
I remember the gold ole days in the 1970s after the New Years bowls ended we had to wait until Tuesday or whatever day for the AP poll to come out to crown a mNC. Then the coaches poll would come out 2 days later to crown a 2nd, different mNC. So exciting!

I remember the gold ole days in the 1970s after the New Years bowls ended we had to wait until Tuesday or whatever day for the AP poll to come out to crown a mNC. Then the coaches poll would come out 2 days later to crown a 2nd, different mNC. So exciting!
Relevant point, back in the 70s, there wasn't a fraction of the focus placed in the mNC -- the fan and media emphasis was in the conference champs.

ESPN and other sports media convinced fans there NEEDED to be a consensus NC and now they're making big $$$$ from those games.🤔

Relevant point, back in the 70s, there wasn't a fraction of the focus placed in the mNC -- the fan and media emphasis was in the conference champs.

ESPN and other sports media convinced fans there NEEDED to be a consensus NC and now they're making big $$$$ from those games.🤔
Id agree with that thesis. And in the process destroyed several conferences like the SWC, Big8, and Big East along with the Bowl ties they had.

It certainly felt much more quaint, tradition filled, and like an amateur sport back then compared to how it feels now. I remain nostalgic for the Orange Bowl and the Rose Bowl. But I also see the problems that came from the unanswered questions they created.

CU's appearances in the Orange Bowl during that bygone time influenced me to look a lot more closely at going to CU all those years ago.

Last edited:
I’ve never wavered from my disdain for the BCS system and now the college playoffs. The old bowl system was awesome. Its demise tore the soul out of the college game, and hastened the move towards professionalism of college athletics that’s been going on for 50 years. Free agency and marketing deals for players* will only make it worse.

*I actually support both of these changes for the simple fact that the game is run like a professional sports league with only the players not profiting. I am also for the players getting money handshakes and phony jobs. The whole amateur athlete song and dance is a sham.

Yep, basically, going to 6 or 8 with automatic qualifiers is a non starter for the SEC and Notre Dame because it reduces the number of at large bids, so it sounds like they prefer 10 or 12 so the there can be 6 AQs (five P5 champs and highest ranked G5 champ) and then 4-6 at large bids. Conference championship games then become defacto playoff (play-in) games.

I wonder how the seeding would happen in this scenario? The top 4 would likely get byes, so I wonder if they would just use the "CFP Rankings" after Conference Championship weekend to determine seeding, or if the more fun, dramatic option would be to do a "Selection Sunday" sort of set up like March Madness where they go seed by seed, with only 6 AQs being assured a spot and there other 6 being "selected".

I'm sure the reaction of alot of people including myself was like how do they suddenly decide to go all the way to 12 all of a sudden? But yea, the answer is that any 8-team model would almost certainly include auto-bids, so the compromise was ok you want your auto bids but then also increase the number of at-large bids. The end results likely won't be any different, in fact this opens up a greater possibility of an all-SEC title game. And this gives all P5 conferences plus the G5 the satisfaction of being included.

I’ve been told the only thing that matters is how much money CU will get. This will give CU more money (but won’t actually help them become any more competitive). It might help fund some other sports, though. I guess that’s good.

I'm sure the reaction of alot of people including myself was like how do they suddenly decide to go all the way to 12 all of a sudden? But yea, the answer is that any 8-team model would almost certainly include auto-bids, so the compromise was ok you want your auto bids but then also increase the number of at-large bids. The end results likely won't be any different, in fact this opens up a greater possibility of an all-SEC title game. And this gives all P5 conferences plus the G5 the satisfaction of being included.
Well, see, the next move is that certain conferences will get not one but two automatic bids. Hint hint: you cant spell richest without sec.

I am reminded of the recent attempt by the richest soccer clubs in Europe to create a Super League outside of their countries and leave everyone else behind. This situation might be whats already happening and what it would probably look like. The haves dont want to share with the haveNots

I’ve never wavered from my disdain for the BCS system and now the college playoffs. The old bowl system was awesome. Its demise tore the soul out of the college game, and hastened the move towards professionalism of college athletics that’s been going on for 50 years. Free agency and marketing deals for players* will only make it worse.

*I actually support both of these changes for the simple fact that the game is run like a professional sports league with only the players not profiting. I am also for the players getting money handshakes and phony jobs. The whole amateur athlete song and dance is a sham.

The genie can not be put back in the bottle now. The Orange Bowl and Rose Bowl are not coming back. The best thing that could happen is the players being paid at this point.

I’ve been told the only thing that matters is how much money CU will get. This will give CU more money (but won’t actually help them become any more competitive). It might help fund some other sports, though. I guess that’s good.

There are posts decrying Larry Scott for making us (briefly) the richest conference in College Football.

There are posts decrying how terrible the Pac12 is for being 3rd in this silly game.

It doesnt matter how much we get now. It will always be less than two other conferences.

It'll never happen but the best thing would have been the NCAA stepping in and running it in an 'all for one and one for all' manner. Too late now.

"If you aint first, your last"

Last edited:
Which is fine because every conference then gets representation in the playoff and years where SEC/BIG have a couple deserving teams, they’ll be in. If the championship ends up being SEC vs SEC, then so be it. The complaint right now is which deserving P5 conference/program will get left out in favor of a second SEC program that didn’t win its conference. That debate needs to die

IMO the playoffs have been horrible for the sport -- worse than I predicted. expanding on something bad (i.e. making it worse) seems like a huge mistake to me.

I hope I'm wrong.
Agree completely. This makes big regular season losses almost meaningless. Two top 10 teams playing, doesn't matter, both will be in the playoff.

Might as well go to 16 or 24.

Champion is no longer who was best that season, it become who gets hot at the end.

I'm OK with 8, 12, 16 or whatever

but .....

I'd like a written rule put in somewhere that you can't get into the Playoffs unless you win your conference or the loser of the Conference CG game is not penalised for losing it and a team (*cough* like USC) get an at-large sport for finishing 2nd in their division and fail to even play in the Conference CG and gets a spot instead of said Conf CG loser

He Gets It Kieran Culkin GIF by SuccessionHBO

The old bowl system meant that every game in the regular season mattered.

Beyond that it left multiple teams with a great season ending, "We are the Rose, Orange, Cotton, Sugar, bowl champion."

It then set up an entire off-season of arguments about who was actually the best team. Not as clean as a playoff but certainly more fun.

It also made the secondary bowl games more meaningful and interesting.

We are never going back but that doesn't mean that the new system is better.

With all the changes coming in upper level college football with expanded playoffs, paying players, unlimited player movement, etc. I can see myself losing interest in watching it.

I may find myself just putting my attention to D2 RMAC football. Before anyone says they have a playoff too it is almost impossible to get into the playoff without winning your conference and even that isn't a guarantee.

Beyond that it left multiple teams with a great season ending, "We are the Rose, Orange, Cotton, Sugar, bowl champion."

It then set up an entire off-season of arguments about who was actually the best team. Not as clean as a playoff but certainly more fun.

With all the changes coming in upper level college football with expanded playoffs, paying players, unlimited player movement, etc. I can see myself losing interest in watching it.

I may find myself just putting my attention to D2 RMAC football. Before anyone says they have a playoff too it is almost impossible to get into the playoff without winning your conference and even that isn't a guarantee.
The ivy league play is also entertaining

I have no problem with the current format...1991 would you have rather had it than the UPI & AP?<blind guess probably.
Expanding the format to 8 or more dilutes it and as it is right now the only way the P12 can get an entry.
No

This has always been my stance. I loved the chaos; now once the season is over, no one really talks about football other than recruiting.

Secondary bowl games - because then it mattered if a common opponent won or lost.

And being able to set your sights on a specific bowl as a goal was awesome - win the Big 8, you’re going to the Orange.

Although we say we get a lot more money now with the playoffs, what is the second order effect on the second tier bowl games - does anyone watch those? Do teams even want to play in them? (I’m not talking about third tier..
those are lame).

I'm OK with 8, 12, 16 or whatever

but .....

I'd like a written rule put in somewhere that you can't get into the Playoffs unless you win your conference or the loser of the Conference CG game is not penalised for losing it and a team (*cough* like USC) get an at-large sport for finishing 2nd in their division and fail to even play in the Conference CG and gets a spot instead of said Conf CG loser
I can't wait to see that MAC champion against Alabama. Must see tv!

I honestly believe this is merely the first step in the process to go to 16 teams. They just didn’t feel like they could go all the way from 4 to 16. So they went with 12.

In 5-6 years, we will have a 14 game regular season, followed by a 16-team playoff. If we are lucky, they’ll be able to incorporate the bowl games into the playoff somehow. That way, even if somebody loses in the second round, they’ll be able to say they won a bowl game. The P5 champions will all be in, along with 1-3 other schools from each conference and a few G5 teams. There will be some grousing about the teams around 17-20 who don’t make it in, but nobody would realistically expect any of those teams to win it all.
Best guess is that there will be some kind of revenue sharing amongst the P5 conferences to ensure every conference gets paid the same, regardless of which teams actually make deep runs in the playoff. That would help with long term viability and parity.

I can't wait to see that MAC champion against Alabama. Must see tv!
In this kind of scenario, the top 4 would likely get a Bye. If we go strictly off last year's CFP rankings (1-12 but include the auto bids), this is what a 12 team playoff would look like...

1. Alabama - SEC Champ - BYE
2. Clemson - ACC Champ - BYE
3. Ohio State - BIG Champ - BYE
4. Notre Dame - Highest Ranked At Large - BYE

5. Texas A&M - SEC At Large
vs
12. Oregon - Pac 12 Champ

6. Oklahoma - Big 12 Champ
vs
11. Indiana - BIG At Large

7. Florida - SEC At Large
vs
10. Iowa State - Big 12 At Large

8. Cincinnati - Highest G5 Conference Champ
vs
9. Georgia - SEC At Large

After this first round, they could either reseed so lowest remaining seed plays highest remaining, or it could be a set bracket. In this scenario, 11-0 Coastal Carolina and 10-1 BYU would certainly be upset about 3-2 Oregon getting one of the autobids, but 2020 was crazy with COVID, so maybe it's a bad example as I don't see that scenario happening very often in a normal season.

When you add in the conference championship games as defacto playoff (play in) games, who wouldn't be pumped about a post season like this?

I think it's safe to assume that the Big Sky Conference has a better media rights deal than the MWC at this point. ESPN+ route and I'm going to go after the yearly subscription soon.

In this kind of scenario, the top 4 would likely get a Bye. If we go strictly off last year's CFP rankings (1-12 but include the auto bids), this is what a 12 team playoff would look like...

1. Alabama - SEC Champ - BYE
2. Clemson - ACC Champ - BYE
3. Ohio State - BIG Champ - BYE
4. Notre Dame - Highest Ranked At Large - BYE

5. Texas A&M - SEC At Large
vs
12. Oregon - Pac 12 Champ

6. Oklahoma - Big 12 Champ
vs
11. Indiana - BIG At Large

7. Florida - SEC At Large
vs
10. Iowa State - Big 12 At Large

8. Cincinnati - Highest G5 Conference Champ
vs
9. Georgia - SEC At Large

After this first round, they could either reseed so lowest remaining seed plays highest remaining, or it could be a set bracket. In this scenario, 11-0 Coastal Carolina and 10-1 BYU would certainly be upset about 3-2 Oregon getting one of the autobids, but 2020 was crazy with COVID, so maybe it's a bad example as I don't see that scenario happening very often in a normal season.

When you add in the conference championship games as defacto playoff (play in) games, who wouldn't be pumped about a post season like this?
Oh, I absolutely like that scenario but saying they need to lock themselves into conference champions or the team who lost their conference championship is a little short sighted, IMO. Ultimately, those are typically your best teams, but sometimes/a lot of times the third best team in a conference is better than a conference champion.

Back