What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

College Football News, Rumor & Humor

The Andy Staples podcast with Klatt the other day was pretty good. They basically just talked about changes that they think should be made and it's hard to argue with most. A list of things

Governing - Competitive Balance - Game Rules
1. Central governing body for 10 FBS conferences, which they suggest be the current "CFP"
2. Give all non-con and post season game TV rights to the CFP body, and split the revenue evenly among everybody instead of just the two conferences involved
3. Enhance competitive balance through scheduling
- Break current schedule agreements
- Parity driven scheduling model based on prior year's results- 1v1, 2v2, etc. from two different conferences (eg Bama @ Utah and Michigan @ Bama in 2022)
4. Klatt says 12 team playoff with 4 first round byes for the highest ranked conference champion
5. Remove divisions (already happening in most conferences)
6. On Campus Playoff games in first and second rounds
7. All teams are able to practice during bowl season if they choose
8. NFL clock rules - Keeps games to 3 hours which would reduce every team's number of snaps by 100-150 over the course of a year, which would effectively removes 1-2 full games from being played (player safety)

NIL/Collective Bargaining
1. Develop some sort of bargaining structure with the players, likely meaning acknowledging them as employees and having them unionize
2. After #4 is done, there needs to be a system that vets the agents and the NIL deals - Meant to help protect the athletes and families from being taken advantage of

Coach and Roster Management
1. Develop new rules around the timing of hiring and firing coaches
2. Cap the number of transfer portal scholarship additions in each class - They used 22 HS scholarships and 8 Portal scholarships as a rough number
3. Close the transfer portal during the season

Klatt's ending point was interesting and something I hadn't thought about... If CFB remains on its current path (two super leagues) it essentially shrinks college sports as a whole, with football being the financial support system for all other sports, it will crush the non revenue sports and eventually remove the US as an Olympic power. I'm not sure about all that, but it's definitely a possible unintended consequence.

Klatt's ending point was interesting and something I hadn't thought about... If CFB remains on its current path (two super leagues) it essentially shrinks college sports as a whole, with football being the financial support system for all other sports, it will crush the non revenue sports and eventually remove the US as an Olympic power. I'm not sure about all that, but it's definitely a possible unintended consequence.
This is true. Universities are the main training ground for almost all traditional Olympic sports with the exception of gymnastics and skiing. Think about no track and field, no volleyball, no wrestling.

This is true. Universities are the main training ground for almost all traditional Olympic sports with the exception of gymnastics and skiing. Think about no track and field, no volleyball, no wrestling.
It makes sense, it just felt like a bit of crazy throw in at the end of the podcast, and something I can't imagine is even being considered by the people pulling the strings in CFB right now.

All that stuff could be right on point, but there’s no governing body with any kind of accepted authority to implement those kinds of regulations and parameters.

All that stuff could be right on point, but there’s no governing body with any kind of accepted authority to implement those kinds of regulations and parameters.
Right. The discussion was predicated on the 10 FBS conferences breaking away from the NCAA in football only and the CFP essentially becoming the governing body. Something like that has to happen before most things on the list does. The problem is, everyone (programs and conferences) is acting only in their own self interests and nobody is keeping the bigger picture in mind that continuing down this path of consolidation, reducing the number of competitive programs, unchecked and unregulated NIL, etc is eventually going to lead to the demise of the sport, at least from a national perspective.

The Andy Staples podcast with Klatt the other day was pretty good. They basically just talked about changes that they think should be made and it's hard to argue with most. A list of things

Governing - Competitive Balance - Game Rules
1. Central governing body for 10 FBS conferences, which they suggest be the current "CFP"
2. Give all non-con and post season game TV rights to the CFP body, and split the revenue evenly among everybody instead of just the two conferences involved
3. Enhance competitive balance through scheduling
- Break current schedule agreements
- Parity driven scheduling model based on prior year's results- 1v1, 2v2, etc. from two different conferences (eg Bama @ Utah and Michigan @ Bama in 2022)
4. Klatt says 12 team playoff with 4 first round byes for the highest ranked conference champion
5. Remove divisions (already happening in most conferences)
6. On Campus Playoff games in first and second rounds
7. All teams are able to practice during bowl season if they choose
8. NFL clock rules - Keeps games to 3 hours which would reduce every team's number of snaps by 100-150 over the course of a year, which would effectively removes 1-2 full games from being played (player safety)

NIL/Collective Bargaining
1. Develop some sort of bargaining structure with the players, likely meaning acknowledging them as employees and having them unionize
2. After #4 is done, there needs to be a system that vets the agents and the NIL deals - Meant to help protect the athletes and families from being taken advantage of

Coach and Roster Management
1. Develop new rules around the timing of hiring and firing coaches
2. Cap the number of transfer portal scholarship additions in each class - They used 22 HS scholarships and 8 Portal scholarships as a rough number
3. Close the transfer portal during the season

The Olympic sports thing I'm not sure about. We are already seeing many of those competed at very high club levels, we would just see clubs extend past the HS years more frequently.

One of the big impacts though on crushing the non-revenue sports though would be the loss of a huge number of scholarships and college opportunities provided by those sports which I can see having a major impact on educational opportunities for young women and people of color. Let's be honest, how many campuses, especially of major universities in this country would become almost exclusively lily white and devoid of lower income students if you eliminated athletic scholarships. Drop even 3-4 sports and the impact would be significant, including in Boulder and Fort Collins as examples.

And it isn't like the USOC is going to suddenly be funded to pick up the slack.

We will become an embarrassment on a stage we have historically taken pride in. This could become a reason for congressional interest, but at this moment in time, that is a laugher. It would have to be a quiet moment in issues to rally around.

In other words, assuming this happens, we will become a laugher on the international stage, and then at a quiet moment, congress will take action - and Buffs Football will still suck regardless.

Don't forget Title IX.

Since there have to be equal opportunities for men and women to be on scholarship with the stipends and whatnot the same, the numbers do not work if you've got 85 football players and need to come up with a package that gives 85 women athletes the same deal as the football players. Then, if you have any other men's sports you have to offer the same along with women's numbers that balance. Good luck.

I don't see people anticipating this when they say "football generates X dollars so the players should get a cut." That lasts until a woman bowler at Nebraska sues and wins because by statute she should also be getting the same six figure stipend as a quarterback.

I don't know if there's a middle ground for football in between "pro league with no scholarships" and "Ivy model".

Don't forget Title IX.

Since there have to be equal opportunities for men and women to be on scholarship with the stipends and whatnot the same, the numbers do not work if you've got 85 football players and need to come up with a package that gives 85 women athletes the same deal as the football players. Then, if you have any other men's sports you have to offer the same along with women's numbers that balance. Good luck.

I don't see people anticipating this when they say "football generates X dollars so the players should get a cut." That lasts until a woman bowler at Nebraska sues and wins because by statute she should also be getting the same six figure stipend as a quarterback.

I don't know if there's a middle ground for football in between "pro league with no scholarships" and "Ivy model".
Supposedly the NIL rules sidestep Title IX because the money is not supposed to flow through the university instead being funded and paid by outside individuals and organizations unrelated to the school. A coach can't give the money to the player but he can arrange for Booster X to give the money to the player.

What this means though is that Booster X instead of giving his $100,000 donation to the athletic program is giving it directly to the kid. When he was giving it to the athletic program they could divert off $40,000 to use for non-revenue sports including women's sports, that will no longer be the case.

And you are right that everything gets interesting when that woman bowler at Nebraska does bring a Title IX suit in federal court and the court finds that the coaches are promising, managing, and holding kids responsible for performing to earn that NIL money so it is in fact a benefit provided to the athlete based on his performance for the school.

The Olympic sports thing I'm not sure about. We are already seeing many of those competed at very high club levels, we would just see clubs extend past the HS years more frequently.

One of the big impacts though on crushing the non-revenue sports though would be the loss of a huge number of scholarships and college opportunities provided by those sports which I can see having a major impact on educational opportunities for young women and people of color. Let's be honest, how many campuses, especially of major universities in this country would become almost exclusively lily white and devoid of lower income students if you eliminated athletic scholarships. Drop even 3-4 sports and the impact would be significant, including in Boulder and Fort Collins as examples.
The thing with clubs for Olympic sports is that they are pitched to parents as the path to that college scholarship. Without that, club participation would die pretty quick I think or become much more recreational in nature.

Thats absolutely what will happen as Track, Cross Country, volleyball, most womens sports, and other non rev sports get cut

Last edited:
If there was a national symposium with all CFB coaches, ADs, presidents, chancellors, conference commissioners, CFP board, and media heads, where all of these concepts, ideas, unintended consequences, etc were laid out for discussion, I think things could get fixed, but since that's obviously not going to happen, I just don't think all the different entities will ever decide to get on the same page and do what's best for the sport instead of what's best for each school and conference's own self interest.

Klatt also said there are a bunch of teams from non B1G and SEC conferences making calls to those conferences to figure out a way in. If something doesn't happen soon, I think it moves to the two super leagues sooner than people think.

You basically have conferences acting in their best interests (and really School by School), versus an entire league acting in the best interest of the league. There is almost no way the largest pieces of the pie (college football) are going to share at this point because they'd be giving up massive amounts of money and power.

If there was a national symposium with all CFB coaches, ADs, presidents, chancellors, conference commissioners, CFP board, and media heads, where all of these concepts, ideas, unintended consequences, etc were laid out for discussion, I think things could get fixed, but since that's obviously not going to happen, I just don't think all the different entities will ever decide to get on the same page and do what's best for the sport instead of what's best for each school and conference's own self interest.

Klatt also said there are a bunch of teams from non B1G and SEC conferences making calls to those conferences to figure out a way in. If something doesn't happen soon, I think it moves to the two super leagues sooner than people think.
I don't think you could solve it that way, the differences in money are just too big.

You have a bunch of schools that know they can't compete in NIL, can't compete in an arms race involving salaries for coaches and assistants, can't compete in terms of fan and booster support but who still want their share of the hundreds of millions going into the conference media rights, this includes a bunch of schools who already aren't getting much of that money who dream of getting more (G5 schools.)

You also have a group of schools who know they are responsible for generating the huge majority of those funds, who know that they have inherent advantages in ability to generate donations, tickets sales, etc. These schools look at that giant pot of money and believe they have a right to much more of it.

Something is going to happen soon and my guess is that something will be decided by the 30-50 schools at the top of the money pile.

You basically have conferences acting in their best interests (and really School by School), versus an entire league acting in the best interest of the league. There is almost no way the largest pieces of the pie (college football) are going to share at this point because they'd be giving up massive amounts of money and power.
Exactly. Not a single person at UT gives a single fvck if the current system causes such a competitive and financial imbalance that TTU and the like are left behind.

True but it also makes sense that the major networks are going to want the 2 highest ranked teams playing that week and also teams that are national brands. The big noon game on Fox drew great ratings last year but it was no coincidence that Ohio State or Michigan was playing in most of those. As is often said on this board it comes down to USC getting good again.
But isn’t it weird that the entity that decides to put the two highest ranked teams on their programming is also an entity that has their own ranking system?

I don't think you could solve it that way, the differences in money are just too big.

You have a bunch of schools that know they can't compete in NIL, can't compete in an arms race involving salaries for coaches and assistants, can't compete in terms of fan and booster support but who still want their share of the hundreds of millions going into the conference media rights, this includes a bunch of schools who already aren't getting much of that money who dream of getting more (G5 schools.)

You also have a group of schools who know they are responsible for generating the huge majority of those funds, who know that they have inherent advantages in ability to generate donations, tickets sales, etc. These schools look at that giant pot of money and believe they have a right to much more of it.

Something is going to happen soon and my guess is that something will be decided by the 30-50 schools at the top of the money pile.
What’s amusing is reading SEC boards and watching them bitch about NIL as well and how they “can’t compete” with 5-8 specific schools. But also lump USC and Oregon in the “haves”

Interesting parallels to the economy at large

Back