What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

College Football Spring 2021 (FCS focused)

Going to be interesting to see how an established FCS team does against a new FCS team that is transitioning up from D2 especially when Tarlenton State has done well the latest few years.

Sucks to find out that the stream was moved from ESPN+ to Fox Sports Southwest.

Next week will be better.

This week looks like your typical week 1 since McNeese vs Tarlenton was a "zero week" game. Two scheduled games this Friday but the Western Illinois-South Dakota game has been postponed. South Dakota State-Northern Iowa is still scheduled and it's on ESPN+ (could be subject to change).

I also noticed in a recent PayPal email that ESPN+ has gone up to $5.99 per month.

Saturday's games (ESPN+ games are marked with *):

Tarlenton @ NMSU
Morehead State @ James Madison
Mercer @ Wofford*
Samford @ East Tennessee State*
Southern Illinois @ North Dakota*
Davidson @ Elon
Western Carolina @ Furman*
Illinois State @ Missouri State*
Sam Houston State @ Incarnate Word*
Northwestern State @ Lamar*

Sunday February 21 games:

Eastern Illinois @ UT Martin*
Edward Waters @ Jackson State (ESPN3)
Austin Peay @ Tennessee Tech*
Murray State at SEMO State* (Southeast Missouri if you were wondering)
Jacksonville State @ Tennessee State*
Youngstown State @ NDSU*

Postponed:

VMI @ Chattonga
Western Illinois @ South Dakota

I'm intrigued by that Tarlenton @ NMSU game because Tarlenton is still partially a D2 school and they won't have the full 63 FCS scholarships against a 85 scholarship FBS school.

SDSU @ UNI looks like a good one and I'm planning on watching that one no questions asked. I think Illinois State @ UND is UND's first MVFC game since I think they were a FCS indy team after leaving the Big Sky Conference.

And Bobby Petrino is making his debut for Missouri State as well.

Just looked at SDSU's schedule...they open their fall 2021 schedule in Ft. Collins. If I was a CSU fan, I'd be worried about that one. The Jacks moved the ball very well on that first series at the UNI Dome.

That SDSU fumble would have been overturned if FCS also reviewed plays since the ground caused the fumble.

I also took a look at the SDSU roster. Besides some SD kids, you have MN, NE, IA, IL, WI, and MO kids. UNI has more Iowans in addition to some TX & FL kids but their recruiting region isn't too much different except hardly any Dakota kids on the roster.

UNI leads 7-3 after that fumble recovery.

The Jacks scored a TD then scored again after a blocked punt and are leading at the half 17-3. This is a tough battle between the 5th ranked Jacks and 3rd ranked Panthers...probably something you will quite a bit in the rugged MVFC.

Another MVFC game has been postponed and it is the Illinois State-MO State one. SIU (Southern Illinois) plays at UND tomorrow at 11 am on ESPN+. I'm looking forward to that YSU-NDSU game on Sunday...too bad Bo Pelini is no longer the coach for those Penguins.

I think I'm going to focus heavily on the MVFC this weekend but I'll keep an eye on some Big South football.

SDSU wins the game late in the 4Q. The Panthers forced a SDSU turnover and scored to take a 20-17 lead. SDSU's talented TE finally makes a name for himself and gets a big play down to the Panther 1 yard line. After two goal line stands by UNI, the Jacks finally score the winning TD.

This is a big win for the Jacks since UNI has won at least 80% of their games at the UNI-Dome. My impression of MVFC football is that it is a good conference and tonight's game helped further reinforce it. The Dakota schools and Western Illinois plays in The Summit Conference (with UNO who no longer has football and wrestling), YSU plays in the Horizon League, and the rest including UNI plays in the MVC. There is another arrangement like this in FCS football especially with the Big South and Atlantic Sun Conference but both are going their separate ways in football next year after both conferences have enough football teams to have their own conference.

Tomorrow in MVFC action, North Dakota makes its MVFC debut at home against Southern Illinois. According to the preseason MVFC polls, SIU was picked 5th while UND was picked 7th. SIU also had five players on the preseason all MVFC which is the same number for both South Dakota schools. Only UNI (6) and NDSU (8) had more. UNI had a Kansas transfer starting at RB but he didn't even make the cut even in the Honorable Mention. There isn't a lot of respect for UND players but they spent the last two years playing a Big Sky schedule as an independent football team so the MVFC coaches & beat writers probably do not know much about UND.

College football in the spring? I can live with that. It would have been nice to see some RMAC football this spring.

SIU leading 7-0 early in the game. I was looking at the game program from UND and home openers have been good for the Fighting Hawks since they haven't dropped a home opener since 1986. Given that UND is finally playing in the MVFC, that is something that could have been done sooner if it wasn't for that Fighting Sioux nickname controversy as the MVFC (was called Gateway Football Conference or something like that) refused to admit UND until that was resolved which the Big Sky Conference was happy to do so perhaps in hopes of getting the other Dakota schools to join which never happened.

UND leading 44-21 with under 7 to go in the 4Q. SIU basically blew their feet off with those killer turnovers that UND turned into points.

While there might have bene questions about UND's ability to compete in the MVFC, the Fighting Hawks had at least three recruiting classes to prepare for this MVFC debut.

We'll get a better idea of where UND stands in the MVFC since they will be hosting SDSU next weekend.

P.S. UND has a big Canadian guy at QB. 6-4 tall and 240 pounds and he's athletic. Quincy Vaught is the name and he wears #14 for the Fighting Hawks. I'd say he's a possible NFL prospect in a few years.

Last edited:
ESPN+ paywall article on the big weekly FCS matchups.

Tomorrow's matchups mentioned are the YSU @ NDSU and the Tarlenton @ NMSU game. I hope for NMSU's sake is that they don't lose that game to a transitioning FCS program because Tarlenton isn't going to have the full 63 FCS scholarship allotment.

ESPN+ paywall article on the big weekly FCS matchups.

Tomorrow's matchups mentioned are the YSU @ NDSU and the Tarlenton @ NMSU game. I hope for NMSU's sake is that they don't lose that game to a transitioning FCS program because Tarlenton isn't going to have the full 63 FCS scholarship allotment.
Liked just for the change in profile pic and the consecutive posts in a single thread, which might be a record. Jalapeno Pacman for the win.

Didn't get a chance to catch the YSU-NDSU game earlier today but thanks to the miracle or wonder that is ESPN+, I'm watching the replay of the game without knowing the final score or who won the game. Trey Lance might be off to the NFL but it seems like NDSU will just find someone to keep it going.

While googling the rosters, I saw that NDSU won 25-7. It's pretty simple why NDSU won that game. Defense and special teams. The Bison defense was tough because the Bison punter did a very good job pinning the Penguins between the goal line and 20 yard line in the first half. As a result, the Penguins couldn't really get going until the third quarter when it was too late. The Penguins were using two QBs and the saying is if you have two QBs, you actually have none. NDSU has that senior Iowa State transfer at QB and there's another QB transfer on the roster from Virginia Tech so it appears the Bison are in good shape at QB for at least a few seasons.

Holy crap! Tarlenton whipped NMSU 43-17! Tarlenton is still technically a D2 team that is making the transition to FCS football. Maybe it's time for NMSU to think about being the next FBS team to drop to FCS but that would defeat the idea of the WAC teams moving up to FBS by the end of this decade. Going from D2 to FBS in just ten years...that would be impressive. Dixie State (to be renamed) is another WAC school making the same move as Tarlenton.

I don't know if D2 is better than NAIA but Jackson State did its job against a NAIA team winning 53-0.

Now on to this week:

Friday

Southern @ Alabama State ESPN3

Saturday

Texas Southern @ Arkansas Pine Bluff
Rhode Island @ Bryant
Eastern Washington @ Idaho
Weber State @ Idaho State
Northern Iowa @ YSU ESPN+
Robert Morris @ James Madison
Wofford @ Chattonga ESPN+
Shorter @ Kennesaw State
Western Carolina @ Samford ESPN+
South Dakota @ Illinois State ESPN+
Missouri State @ Western Illinois ESPN+
SDSU @ North Dakota ESPN+
NDSU @ Southern Illinois ESPN+
Furman @ VMI ESPN+
Dixie State @ Tarlenton ESPN+
Elon @ Gardner Webb
Mississippi Valley State @ Jackson State ESPN3
Southern Utah @ Northern Arizona
The Citadel @ Mercer
Praire View A&M @ Grambling State
Lamar @ Nichols ESPN+
SE Louisana @ Sam Houston State ESPN+

Postponed

Cal Poly @ UC Davis: No Dan Hawkins sighting this weekend.

I think I'm going to spend another weekend with the MVFC before looking at either the SoCon or Big South next. That SDSU-North Dakota game is at the top of my list for the MVFC. I think Northern Iowa will beat YSU on the road because that Panther defense appears to be the best defense in the conference. NDSU should beat SIU on the road because SIU had issues with turning the ball over at UND. I haven't seen South Dakota, Illinois State, Missouri State, and Western Illinois at this point due to postponements so I'll withhold my predictions on those teams.

NMSU and the Colonial Athletic Conference have contracts with FloSports, a streaming sports channel so I'm not going to watch any game on FloSports due to my own personal experiment to see if I can survive with ESPN+ for an entire football season. I'm not sure if I'm interested in watching Southland football because four schools are leaving that conference (3 for the WAC and one for the ASUN). I was more interested in watching the Big South but that was before the announcement of the ASUN adding three teams and sponsoring football next season so the Big South football conference is going to be split up. I want to watch the Big Sky Conference and they are usually on Pluto if not Root Sports.

The first weekend of spring FCS football is in the books. Playoffs start April 24 and the championship is on May 16th. This might be the only time we will have football games in every month but June & July in one full year and that includes the NFL. You live only once so you might as well experience football like 2020-2021 since we might not see this again in our lifetimes.

Liked just for the change in profile pic and the consecutive posts in a single thread, which might be a record. Jalapeno Pacman for the win.

Love video games and been playing a lot of Pac-Man lately so why not change my profile picture? There's also the endless amount of football games to watch just like eating those dots in Pac-Man...makes perfect sense! :LOL:

A decent D2 school should be much better than the best NAIA schools. NAIA is almost like D4 with no athletic scholarships and very limited budgets.

A decent D2 school should be much better than the best NAIA schools. NAIA is almost like D4 with no athletic scholarships and very limited budgets.
Umm, NAIA does athletic scholarships.

They don’t offer as many as NCAA D1, but they do award athletic scholarships, unlike NCAA D3. Many of the scholarships are given as partial scholarships, as is common in D2 and in D1 non-revenue sports. In football as of a few years ago at least, they offered up to 24 full athletic scholarship equivalent in football, which isn’t too much less than the 36 football scholarships allowed for NCAA D2 schools.

It also depends on the school, as some NAIA schools have fairly large athletic budgets.

Im not citing any source information about NAIA scholarships since this information is widely available and easily found throughout the internet.

Last edited:
NAIA is probably a better option than D3 for most students. Easier to bounce back to D1 for those rare students with the ability, easier to qualify, and unlike D3, there are athletic scholarships. Many NAIA schools regularly beat D3 and even some D2 programs.

The bottom of NAIA gets a little shaky on programs, but so does the bottom of D2 and D3.

After watching three MVFC games this recent weekend, I appreciate what CU has when it comes to its internal TV productions in BuffVision. Also those smaller FCS venues allows for more closer up shots of everything and out of the three home teams from this weekend (UNI, UND, and NDSU), I thought UNI's was the best followed by NDSU and then UND. It was fun to watch all of those seed commercials from NDSU's telecast for a change and both North Dakota schools had the same fitness center commercials. UND needs to make sure their camera crew is more in sync with a big game against SDSU coming up.

Having ESPN+ as a partner is awesome for the fan. That's why it's perplexing why the Big Sky Conference and MWC does not have a deal with ESPN+ and then you have the P12N for the Pac-12. NMSU has their deal with FloSports as well. It's not like ESPN+ is controlling the schedules of those schools and I have read articles that those schools don't necessarily make any money from those ESPN+ deals but being able to reach people including prospective students and student-athletes could be viewed more of an advertising expense for the school. When it comes to college sports out west with the Pac-12, MWC, and Big Sky Conference; the current media deals for those conferences leaves a lot to be desired for. Because of that, my desire to watch athletic events from those conferences couldn't be any lower than what it is right now. The Sun Belt Conference is replacing the MWC as my G5 conference to watch starting this fall and I am using this spring to identify the FCS conference to replace the Big Sky Conference but I think I already have that replacement in the MVFC.

The Big Sky Conference just released its Fall 2021 football schedule by the way.

I checked on the Big Sky Conference games for this weekend. They are all on Pluto TV which is free to watch. There are apps for that service.

www.pluto.tv

You might want to check the Big Sky Conference webpage or the individual team webpages to get the direct link for those games on Pluto TV.

My biggest hope for FCS football this spring for teams like UNC, both Montana schools, and Portland State is that whatever they do this spring and then this fall ends up being a very positive thing for college football moving forward. That positive thing would be that starting in spring 2022, we'd have more spring football games against other schools instead of those glorified practices advertised as spring games. Given the budget shortfalls that ADs are facing, I think this more than likely will happen anyway but I'm just going to be hopeful.
wait what starz GIF by Power

This is an interesting thread. Spring football will not become a thing. This is a disjointed, one time occurance due to a global pandemic. End of story.

NAIA is probably a better option than D3 for most students. Easier to bounce back to D1 for those rare students with the ability, easier to qualify, and unlike D3, there are athletic scholarships. Many NAIA schools regularly beat D3 and even some D2 programs.

The bottom of NAIA gets a little shaky on programs, but so does the bottom of D2 and D3.
NAIA is great option if you want to live in worst places in the country and get a degree worth less than the paper it's printed on. Your point about an easier transition is valid, though.

This is an interesting thread. Spring football will not become a thing. This is a disjointed, one time occurance due to a global pandemic. End of story.

Spring football is already a thing with spring football practice. What I'm hoping for is this leads to schools having spring games against each other that doesn't count in the standings. This could be also a way for FCS schools to play P5 schools that are moving away from playing those FCS schools going forward. This could also be a way for younger players to get playing time that they otherwise wouldn't get in the fall.

The modified schedule that Northern Colorado, Portland State, and the Montana schools are playing this spring could be one way forward. Montana scheduled D2 Central Washington for April 10th and there could be more games scheduled or not. one to three or four games would be fine for a spring football practice season. Not those six to eight game conference only FCS games this spring.

Some of those ADs out there will need some money to cover for the losses during the pandemic and where exactly is that money going to come from? :unsure:

Too soon to say whether this will be an one time thing or not. It's like you are saying you know who is going to win after both teams had their first drives of the game.

The newest ASUN schools will be playing in the WAC this fall before ASUN Football kicks off in 2022.

Back