What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2020 CU football season POSTPONED until Nov 6th?

I think that makes as much sense as Kate Brown saying no crowds at sporting events in September like Oregon-Ohio State on May 7. I don't think a call needs to be made on how many fans at games (if any) there are until August 1. Nobody knows what this thing is going to do right now.

SEC media days are in mid-July. Don't you think the conference will need a pretty concrete answer by then? I understand wanting some wriggle room, but it would seem that question is going to be pretty front and center.

Last edited:
SEC media days are in mid-July. Don't you think the conference will need a pretty concrete answer by then?

Sure-I distracted from my point with the August 1 comment, though. Main thing was to call Kate Brown saying "No fans at Oregon/Ohio State" on May 7 ridiculous.

Sure-I distracted from my point with the August 1 comment, though. Main thing was to call Kate Brown saying "No fans at Oregon/Ohio State" on May 7 ridiculous.

Fair. I just think the answers (not every single one for every scenario of course) are going to need to be pretty thorough by mid-late July.

Between 2008-2018 10 college football players died from heat stroke due to overly intense practices in very hot places. Those players were overtaxed and dehydrated. Players are less likely to die from heat stroke than C-19, but many schools are increasingly concerned about these avoidable deaths. Teams are starting to change their training habits

We all want college football to play this fall. What I am against is placing the players and fans in a situtation of unnecessary risks. This is why I don’t think having fans fill stadia across the country is a great idea because the fans are at great risk alongside one another. This is also why I believe schools will need to make robust testing, tracing, isolation, and treatment the SOP for their teams.

Klatt playing the "but these are healthy young guys and the risk is low!" card when he's talking about amateurs and has no accountability, responsibility or liability in this matter whatsoever is just wow.

He's referencing facts but if that's having an agenda then that's your prerogative.

It always amazes me how so many who make their living covering college football are negative towards the return of college football just so they can try to show how virtuous they are.
He's trying to influence public opinion and arguing for a specific outcome. Acting like he doesn't have an agenda is ridiculous. I don't care which side of debate you're on. Obviously you want to shame people for pointing out obvious realities. That says a lot more about you than anyone else.

This is why I don’t think having fans fill stadia across the country is a great idea because the fans are at great risk alongside one another.

Fans that attend games this fall do so with the knowledge that they are at greater risk than if they didn’t attend the games. Based on this, I wouldn’t require fans to stay away, they have every right to decide for themselves what risks they are personally wiling to take.

The reason I’m skeptical about allowing fans to attend the games is that those fans are putting other people, outside the game at greater risk. I think of it as akin to smoking. Smokers are ****ing idiots, but they have the right to kill themselves. When people that attend games bring the virus to those that didn’t attend the game it is like a smoker blowing smoke in the face of a nonsmoker. This is an analogy, not a statement that smoking equals covid-19.

Klatt playing the "but these are healthy young guys and the risk is low!" card when he's talking about amateurs and has no accountability, responsibility or liability in this matter whatsoever is just wow.

Yes, you have different polititians you worship then Klatt does. Crystal clear.

Fans that attend games this fall do so with the knowledge that they are at greater risk than if they didn’t attend the games. Based on this, I wouldn’t require fans to stay away, they have every right to decide for themselves what risks they are personally wiling to take.

The reason I’m skeptical about allowing fans to attend the games is that those fans are putting other people, outside the game at greater risk. I think of it as akin to smoking. Smokers are ****ing idiots, but they have the right to kill themselves. When people that attend games bring the virus to those that didn’t attend the game it is like a smoker blowing smoke in the face of a nonsmoker. This is an analogy, not a statement that smoking equals covid-19.
I agree that hurting non-consenting folks with whom fans interact later is a major concern. You’re making a semantic difference on the rest. People shouldn’t feel like they’re taking an elevated morbidity risk in attending a game.

Last edited:
How many college age students have died of COVID in the US, Jens?

a) I don't see how that's relevant, and why don't you engage my point that Klatt has nothing to lose from this? He has no liability, accountability or responsibility. If one dies, what does he lose? What I do know is that you have high professionals staying away from non-contact training sessions because they deem the risk too big and because they cite studies that concluded that BAME people are four times more likely to die from this and twice as likely to have lasting effects. For Klatt to be talking about amateurs like this is massively questionable.

b) Why only care about those who died? Why not care about those who have long term lung damage from this? Don't you think that might be relevant also?

These are amateurs and not pros. For Klatt to be talking about them and their health like that shows a certain sense of entitlement that they're just pawns for our entertainment.

a) I don't see how that's relevant, and why don't you engage my point that Klatt has nothing to lose from this? He has no liability, accountability or responsibility. If one dies, what does he lose? What I do know is that you have high professionals staying away from non-contact training sessions because they deem the risk too big and because they cite studies that concluded that BAME people are four times more likely to die from this and twice as likely to have lasting effects. For Klatt to be talking about amateurs like this is massively questionable.

b) Why only care about those who died? Why not care about those who have long term lung damage from this? Don't you think that might be relevant also?

These are amateurs and not pros. For Klatt to be talking about them and their health like that shows a certain sense of entitlement that they're just pawns for our entertainment.

A) The danger of a college student taking the virus home and giving it to an older parent or grandparent is a lot higher than them dying. The data I've posted on here multiple times shows that, and the data that @Jello Bear posted above me also shows that. Your point about Klatt not having anything to lose also is wrong too-unless ESPN/FOX/CBS do what ESPN has done for Korean baseball and have broadcasters call games from home. He could get it from an airport, hotel, or somewhere on a college campus. I wouldn't call his behavior entitled-I'd consider it the actions of a guy who would like to be able to do his job in as normal a manner as possible this fall.

B) Simple. Because there's quantifiable data on deaths. If you can find quantifiable data on the damage COVID 19 does to your lungs, I'd be interested in seeing it.

People shouldn’t feel like they’re taking an elevated morbidity risk in attending a game.

That's a tough call, and its one we should all make ourselves. I haven't really thought much about that, tbh. If I go, it'll probably be to the Fresno game. We're still in the heat of summer so the odds of a second wave (assuming we see one) at that point probably aren't that high.

To clarify, my main problem is people talking about fans being able to attend. There're challenges involved and it's ultimately not up to the universities or the ADs to decide, but I can see a way where a college season can be played this fall, although college athletics are far down on the list of priorities for universities right now and I am not sure how likely it is, but I can see a way. College is far trickier than any pro league for a variety of reasons and some colleges will be facing an existential threat if they can't provide their usual service this fall.

But to suggest that fans will be able to attend when free, democratic Western countries have banned public events until the fall, are talking about sports being played without fans until there is a medical breakthrough or when the Premier League is kinda working under the assumption that the entire next season will have to be played behind closed doors based on information they've received from authorities is ludicrous and to suggest that's happening is irresponsible.

Contact sports being played is possible and that is being proven right now, but talking about a sizeable number of fans attending looks like a complete pipe dream to me based on pretty much everything I've heard from doctors, scientists, medical experts or politicans and I yet have to see evidence that suggests otherwise.

So Klatt referencing factual data means he has an agenda?
"Factual data," which he says "we know, from those estimations." Okay.
UPMC has been flaunting state advice the entire time. Example (https://www.witf.org/2020/05/08/upm...ial-distancing-advice-opn-mothers-day-visits/):
"[UPMC] continued to perform elective surgeries after the state directed hospitals to stop these procedures in preparation for a possible surge of COVID-19 patients." He comes off as a guy trying to get back to business as usual, more than considering thr nearly 100,000 lives lost is the last 3 months.

That's a tough call, and its one we should all make ourselves. I haven't really thought much about that, tbh. If I go, it'll probably be to the Fresno game. We're still in the heat of summer so the odds of a second wave (assuming we see one) at that point probably aren't that high.
Y’all embracing the State of Nature is wild.

SIAP
1918-pandemic-football-game-andy-mcneil.png

Go ... blue? :(

The president of the University of Michigan said the school will not have football or other sports in the fall if students are not brought back for on-campus classes.

“If there is no on-campus instruction then there won’t be intercollegiate athletics, at least for Michigan,” Mark Schlissel, the president of the university, said in an interview with The Wall Street Journal published Sunday.

He also warned that even if the team is able to play, they may do so at a stadium smaller than the Michigan Stadium, known as the "Big House," which has a capacity of 107,601.

“I can’t imagine a way to do that safely,” Schlissel told the Journal.

Schlissel, the first physician-scientist to lead the university, told the newspaper he expects to make a call in coming weeks on what the upcoming school year will look like.

Whatever decision is made for the fall will likely be the case for the entire academic year, he said.

“What’s going to be different in January?” he said.

Schlissel said he doesn't want to “set false expectations,” noting that other more enthusiastic promises made from other institutions include fine print details that the openings are subject to approval by local officials.

“They’re really not as declarative as they appear,” he told the Journal.

EDIT: I just "Miami-d" Hokie .... didn't go back far enough in the thread to see that he posted this yesterday. Sorry hoke.

Last edited:
I wonder what the voting ramifications would be if UM doesn’t play football and other BIG programs do. Could that be something that pisses off some of the moderates enough for them to vote Trump in arguably the most crucial swing state?

I wonder what the voting ramifications would be if UM doesn’t play football and other BIG programs do. Could that be something that pisses off some of the moderates enough for them to vote Trump in arguably the most crucial swing state?

That could be interesting. I don't know about you guys-but I can't wait for how #relentless Midnight Mel will be on twitter if his new team can't play football this fall. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

"Factual data," which he says "we know, from those estimations." Okay.
UPMC has been flaunting state advice the entire time. Example (https://www.witf.org/2020/05/08/upm...ial-distancing-advice-opn-mothers-day-visits/):
"[UPMC] continued to perform elective surgeries after the state directed hospitals to stop these procedures in preparation for a possible surge of COVID-19 patients." He comes off as a guy trying to get back to business as usual, more than considering thr nearly 100,000 lives lost is the last 3 months.

You really trying to die on that hill again? The elective surgery bans should have ended the minute hospitals started asking healthcare workers to take cuts in their hours or salaries.

You really trying to die on that hill again? The elective surgery bans should have ended the minute hospitals started asking healthcare workers to take cuts in their hours or salaries.
You probably should stop having opinions on this. The ban was reasonable at the time given the PPE shortage and the uncertainty we faced.

Back