What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2020 CU football season POSTPONED until Nov 6th?

I know people keep grabbing onto the "x% of students are going to be on campus" at various universities.

What I think is being missed is that for a certain set of students they can't "just go home." For some, they are literally unsafe "at home," but more often, unless they are working full time and contributing to the family budget their parents can't afford and/or don't have room for them at home any more.

It's one thing when you're from a middle/upper-middle class background to just go back to your old bedroom and do your schoolwork from there while your parents pay for your food and shelter. It's a whole different story when you moving back means your younger siblings have to share a bedroom again, your parents have to find the money to feed someone for whom they don't get SNAP benefits, they've got to figure out how to pay for a better/faster internet connection, and really the only way to make it work is if you either work full or close to full time and/or you spend a big chunk of your daily time taking care of your younger siblings so that your parents can work to feed/shelter you all. And if you're taking care of your little brothers/sisters - you're not studying or watching lectures or doing homework.

For a lot of students, having the campus open so they can live there is the only way those students will actually be able to have the time and resources necessary to actually go to school. It's definitely not all students, but it's a large enough minority of students that figuring this out is actually pretty important.

Last edited:
One place where college may have it easier than the pros is that there aren't all the issues with negotiations between the league and a player's union.

Kind of hard to get MLB athletes to agree to reduced compensation at higher risk to their health so they can play an abbreviated season under a model that has little or no fan attendance. With contracts guaranteed and insured, the players are better off if the season is canceled unless the numbers can be made to work for them.

NFL has said it won't move the draft to accommodate a spring college season. I can see a lot of draft eligible juniors or seniors deciding to sit out the season in that case.

Obviously a relatively small thing overall, but wanted to mention the Corn have announced that they have a new ticketing app, and starting with this fall's season (IF of course any games take place) "... printed season and single-game tickets will not be mailed out this year." .

Wonder if this Covid-era (combined of course with general technological advances) may speed up paper tickets becoming "a thing of the past"???

(Above quote is from https://huskers.com/news/2020/7/6/gomobile.aspx. Assume other schools may also have already done this, but this was the 1st I found (via a Volleytalk thread talking about it for volleyball). Could be interesting for some (I assume mainly older???) fans, as a few Corn vball season ticket holders have already commented on the Volleytalk thread they don't even own a smart phone.)

Obviously a relatively small thing overall, but wanted to mention the Corn have announced that they have a new ticketing app, and starting with this fall's season (IF of course any games take place) "... printed season and single-game tickets will not be mailed out this year." .

Wonder if this Covid-era (combined of course with general technological advances) may speed up paper tickets becoming "a thing of the past"???

(Above quote is from https://****ers.com/news/2020/7/6/gomobile.aspx. Assume other schools may also have already done this, but this was the 1st I found (via a Volleytalk thread talking about it for volleyball). Could be interesting for some (I assume mainly older???) fans, as a few Corn vball season ticket holders have already commented on the Volleytalk thread they don't even own a smart phone.)

They're playing on time-they might be the only people doing it though. They might actually have a winning season this season guys!

Move basketball up, football back?

Whos to say we don't see the same issues there? We get a rash of positive tests like the ones we saw today from Nashville SC that led to their MLS is Back opener being delay and a CBB team is done for 2 weeks.

Really looking forward to the president of an AAU school like Cal, Stanford, Michigan, Northwestern, Duke, Virgina, Florida, Texas, Mizzou or Ohio State (just to cover the major conferences) explaining why it's safe to play at their school when other AAU members like the ivies deem it unsafe.

The argument about finances makes no sense to me. I would expect the revenue to be better with a Spring season with full capacity in the stadiums than it would be in the Fall with 1/3 capacity (if that) stadiums. The TV coverage for Spring college football would be incredible. Postponing the season makes more financial sense than stubbornly sticking to some kind of traditional Fall schedule.

Really looking forward to the president of an AAU school like Cal, Stanford, Michigan, Northwestern, Duke, Virgina, Florida, Texas, Mizzou or Ohio State (just to cover the major conferences) explaining why it's safe to play at their school when other AAU members like the ivies deem it unsafe.

The tone will be set by the Ivys. It will indeed create pressure on others,whether they say it will or not. Some Commishs already trying to separate their circumstances from the Ivy League. Rumors of P5 talking to TV execs about how to move to Spring is interesting.

I was out for a walk with my wife last night and this subject came up. We came to the conclusion that an abbreviated 10-game season in the Spring would be perfect. Conference games only to reduce travel. 5 home games, 5 road games.

Back