What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2020 CU football season POSTPONED until Nov 6th?

To be fair

I don't see how putting it into full context makes it sound better. Plenty of experts have recommended that states with increasing numbers of COVID cases keep groups down to under 10, maybe even under 50. Putting together over 100 people for preparations and then mixing two teams on the field on game daywhere it's impossible to properly mask/social distance seems in direct conflict with a lot of experts.

I don't see how putting it into full context makes it sound better. Plenty of experts have recommended that states with increasing numbers of COVID cases keep groups down to under 10, maybe even under 50. Putting together over 100 people for preparations and then mixing two teams on the field on game daywhere it's impossible to properly mask/social distance seems in direct conflict with a lot of experts.
I mean it changes almost everything. These players are consistently being tested and evaluated unlike the rest of the population. Other than some of the outbreaks at a handful of schools a lot of them are doing great in terms of containing the spread of the virus.

How can we know anything at this point? It stands to reason that the situation will be better in March than it is in September, though.

It is bound to better from a logistical standpoint as we'll know more about the virus as scientists keep researching it and it also stands to reason that testing capacities, efficiency etc will be improved, but as for the actual number of infections your guess is as good as mine. I am frankly very surprised the US is in the situation it is in right now and feel it's completely avoidable and unnecessary that the number of infections is sky rocketing again.

It does? I seem to remember spending my St. Patrick's Day self isolated on my couch with a shelter in place order restricting me from leaving my place.
Do you expect to do the same thing next St Patrick’s Day?
Jens is right (anybody quotes me on that and I’ll claim shenanigans) in that the more time that passes, the better equipped we will be to deal with this. March is still 8 months away. The virus would have been around for 15 months by then. If nothing else, our ability to manage the virus will be improved by simply learning more about it. We know more today than we did in February. We will know a lot more in February than we do now. It’s not a hard leap of logical reasoning for me.

(As indicated at the bottom of the tweet, track and field, and esp. the distance runners, are BIG contributors to the CU sport count, with teams led by Coach Wetmore totaling 6 of the credited Buff sports (separate men's and women's cross country, indoor and outdoor track). I wasn't sure, but even though their scores are combined for competition purposes, I'm guessing that men's and women's skiing must get credit as 2 sports???)

I mean it changes almost everything. These players are consistently being tested and evaluated unlike the rest of the population. Other than some of the outbreaks at a handful of schools a lot of them are doing great in terms of containing the spread of the virus.
It only works if you put them in lockdown. Otherwise, they're going out and bringing the virus back, regardless of testing. Harbaugh's statement of no experts saying sports makes it worse completely ignores crowd recommendations.

Are there large numbers of colleges with full on campus participation? I guess I missed that. I did read about Liberty and its subsequent large outbreak.

(As indicated at the bottom of the tweet, track and field, and esp. the distance runners, are BIG contributors to the CU sport count, with teams led by Coach Wetmore totaling 6 of the credited Buff sports (separate men's and women's cross country, indoor and outdoor track). I wasn't sure, but even though their scores are combined for competition purposes, I'm guessing that men's and women's skiing must get credit as 2 sports???)

On the flip side that means that CU will have to make cuts elsewhere if they can't just discontinue sports. And CU will be affected just like everyone else.

To possibly/ hopefully correct what i wrote above, 247, at least in their headline***, seems to be indicating the Ivy league fall sports COULD still be played in the spring - https://247sports.com/Article/Ivy-L...0-fall-sports-could-play-in-spring-148939904/ ???

And, I found another article (mainly a collection of tweets) that says the Ivy League is still "hopeful that the fall sports could be played in spring" - https://www.750thegame.com/ivy-league-cancels-fall-sports/

The (relatively) hopeful tweet (from an Athletic writer) -

(***Interesting to me that I couldn't find anywhere in the article itself that says the Ivy League has left playing fall sports in the spring as a possibility, but assume they wouldn't screw up their headline. Or, maybe the headline is just referring to the chance that spring sports (and hopefully winter sports with a delayed start) may still be played???)

It only works if you put them in lockdown. Otherwise, they're going out and bringing the virus back, regardless of testing. Harbaugh's statement of no experts saying sports makes it worse completely ignores crowd recommendations.

Are there large numbers of colleges with full on campus participation? I guess I missed that. I did read about Liberty and its subsequent large outbreak.
He is saying that players have been doing well with the measures put in place and the testing Helps prevent the spread of the virus, I don’t see how this is an issue.

Edit- They have left the door open for the fall sports to play in winter the spring.

Full statement-

"
PRINCETON, N.J. -- Amidst continuing health and safety concerns due to the global COVID-19 pandemic, the Ivy League Council of Presidents has set in place plans for intercollegiate athletics activity in the upcoming fall semester.

With the safety and well-being of students as their highest priority, Ivy League institutions are implementing campus-wide policies including restrictions on student and staff travel, requirements for social distancing, limits on group gatherings, and regulations for visitors to campus. As athletics is expected to operate consistent with campus policies, it will not be possible for Ivy League teams to participate in intercollegiate athletics competition prior to the end of the fall semester.

Practice and other athletic training opportunities for enrolled student-athletes will be permitted provided they are structured in accordance with each institution’s procedures and applicable state regulations. The Ivy League will also issue guidelines on a phased approach to conditioning and practice activities to allow for interaction among student-athletes and coaches that will begin with limited individual and small group workouts and build to small group practice sessions, if public health conditions permit.

Fall sport student-athletes will not use a season of Ivy League or NCAA eligibility in the fall, whether or not they enroll. Students who wish to pursue competition during a fifth-year will need to work with their institutions in accordance with campus policy to determine their options beyond their current anticipated graduation date.

Local campus policies for the student body regarding return to campus and in-person learning will apply to student-athletes.

A decision on the remaining winter and spring sports competition calendar, and on whether fall sport competition would be feasible in the spring, will be determined at a later date.

The Ivy League Council of Presidents offered the following joint statement:
“As a leadership group, we have a responsibility to make decisions that are in the best interest of the students who attend our institutions, as well as the faculty and staff who work at our schools. These decisions are extremely difficult, particularly when they impact meaningful student-athlete experiences that so many value and cherish.

With the information available to us today regarding the continued spread of the virus, we simply do not believe we can create and maintain an environment for intercollegiate athletic competition that meets our requirements for safety and acceptable levels of risk, consistent with the policies that each of our schools is adopting as part of its reopening plans this fall.

We are entrusted to create and maintain an educational environment that is guided by health and safety considerations. There can be no greater responsibility — and that is the basis for this difficult decision.”
"

Last edited:
He is saying that players have been doing well with the measures put in place and the testing Helps prevent the spread of the virus, I don’t see how this is an issue.
He said the following, which ignores warnings about group spreading of the virus. But okay, I'm done here.
There’s no expert view right now that I’m aware of that sports is going to make that worse.

He said the following, which ignores warnings about group spreading of the virus. But okay, I'm done here.
Okay and experts have said that with the right protocols in place sports can return. Obviously that means rigorous testing, limiting the number of fans or getting rid of them completely, etc. that is what the schools are trying to do no? The difference between normal gatherings and teams is that they are tested more and supposed to be more isolated than the general public right?

Do you expect to do the same thing next St Patrick’s Day?
Jens is right (anybody quotes me on that and I’ll claim shenanigans) in that the more time that passes, the better equipped we will be to deal with this. March is still 8 months away. The virus would have been around for 15 months by then. If nothing else, our ability to manage the virus will be improved by simply learning more about it. We know more today than we did in February. We will know a lot more in February than we do now. It’s not a hard leap of logical reasoning for me.
It seems like things are much worse now than in March. I'm not seeing the progress you are seeing.

It seems like things are much worse now than in March. I'm not seeing the progress you are seeing.

Agree. I see a declining death rate as younger people getting it and then doing what they should be doing FOR THE MOST PART when they test positive. There are always dumbasses like my uncle (gets exposed and then continues to work as if nothing happened-thankfully he came back negative).

Ideal scenario: 10 games. normal conference schedule with one OOC game (probably that trip to Gaga Field 60 miles north of campus). Start in March.

Last edited:
Okay and experts have said that with the right protocols in place sports can return. Obviously that means rigorous testing, limiting the number of fans or getting rid of them completely, etc. that is what the schools are trying to do no? The difference between normal gatherings and teams is that they are tested more and supposed to be more isolated than the general public right?
We had guys going to Vegas so you tell ne.

The new reality is that College Sports is in big ****ing trouble. Stanford is just out ahead of this but Rick George has no way to make this work in the near future without a huge bailout to the AD. Given how bad the state coffers are looking as well, with huge deficits in tourism, sales taxes, etc.

Tomorrow I'll make the call to the A/D to see how to defer the 50yard line season tickets I have had for 20 years for a year. Not going to Folsom this fall.
Not going to the Coors event center either, but those are cheaper. Rick G can call me when the vaccine is available. I'm one of those pussies.

And those experts seem to be being proven wrong daily as athlete after athlete comes up positive, workouts are halted, etc. I highly doubt the NBA finishes their season, or that we have sports for another six months. The NFL will trudge forward, head in the sand as always, but sports arent feasible and frankly don't make any sense given the current state of the country.

We had guys going to Vegas so you tell ne.
Again what does this change about what harbaugh said? He is saying it is reality and there are protocols in place to try and help them and if they want to play this season they have to follow them. Yes we also had a player get a dui up in Foco so obviously people aren’t doing everything correctly.

fwiw, my wife and I also had a conversation. It concluded with there being no way in hell we'd go to a tailgate, into the stadium or a sports bar this fall. We wouldn't even meet a small group of friends for an at-home watch party. If it's the spring, we'd play it by ear and getting together at-home to watch games with a small group of friends might be on the table.
So, what was your opinion?

And those experts seem to be being proven wrong daily as athlete after athlete comes up positive, workouts are halted, etc. I highly doubt the NBA finishes their season, or that we have sports for another six months. The NFL will trudge forward, head in the sand as always, but sports arent feasible and frankly don't make any sense given the current state of the country.

I disagree on everything but CFB and MLB-I think a move to the spring is likely at this point there, and MLB could be susceptible to something happening to a team. As far as everything else, I don't think anything in a bubble gets cancelled unless you have a mass outbreak inside one of them.

Again what does this change about what harbaugh said? He is saying it is reality and there are protocols in place to try and help them and if they want to play this season they have to follow them. Yes we also had a player get a dui up in Foco so obviously people aren’t doing everything correctly.
Not again. I finished that argument with his quote above.

Back