What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2020 CU football season POSTPONED until Nov 6th?

And look how quickly CA was to change it's tune in recent days, especially around professional sports. In a matter of a week, they went from a quarantine extending through August, to pro sports will return soon! The economic pressure is going to be too great.

...until it is not when something goes sideways.

Way too much focus on what Gene Smith said and not so much on what other ADs are saying. The momentum is definitely there to play football, but the idea states are going to be just fine with 100K+ people gathering in several spots several times this fall is delusional. The testing protocols being proposed for players and students on campuses by themselves are too much much of an obstacle to believe Smith's (best case?) scenario of 50K fans is close to realistic.

And look how quickly CA was to change it's tune in recent days, especially around professional sports. In a matter of a week, they went from a quarantine extending through August, to pro sports will return soon! The economic pressure is going to be too great.
California never said that. It was the mayor of LA.

The states are in charge, not the NCAA.
this is a good point -- if the season is going to be called off or postponed, who has the authority?
  • the states can certainly ban crowds gathering at games, or even ban games altogether, etc... within their state
  • it seems the conferences have the authority to call off a season for their member schools, but I'm having a helluva time confirming that
  • it does not seem that the NCAA has the authority to cancel the season, but again, I'm struggling to confirm this

...until it is not when something goes sideways.

Way too much focus on what Gene Smith said and not so much on what other ADs are saying. The momentum is definitely there to play football, but the idea states are going to be just fine with 100K+ people gathering in several spots several times this fall is delusional.
So was the idea of having 130+ football programs with hundreds of players and staff on each gathering to train, practice and play a game. I'm not saying it's going to happen, but to say it's delusional is severely underestimating the greed in CFB and the influence that's going to have.

If there was a CU game tomorrow, who among us would go? Probably very few of us. Can we honestly say the same for a game in September? What about a game in Lincoln? Or Columbus? Or Tuscaloosa? You think the folks in those places might have a different set of priorities than we do? So what happens when Ohio State opens up the entire stadium? You think other schools won’t follow suit?

So was the idea of having 130+ football programs with hundreds of players and staff on each gathering to train, practice and play a game. I'm not saying it's going to happen, but to say it's delusional is severely underestimating the greed in CFB and the influence that's going to have.

I do not underestimate the greed. I am more recognizing that schools are going to be much more concerned about the students and student athletes than fans. The schools need paying students and future paying students to survive and will not risk a large outbreak on their campuses as a result.

I always come back to this
I read somewhere that the Atalanta-Valencia match was responsible for at least 25K infections in both countries. It was a big watershed moment for Covid-19 in Europe.

If there was a CU game tomorrow, who among us would go? Probably very few of us. Can we honestly say the same for a game in September? What about a game in Lincoln? Or Columbus? Or Tuscaloosa? You think the folks in those places might have a different set of priorities than we do? So what happens when Ohio State opens up the entire stadium? You think other schools won’t follow suit?

Nebraska could play UTEP in Wuhan, China tomorrow and 100k Fusker fans would find a way to be there. Use a better example than them.

this is a good point -- if the season is going to be called off or postponed, who has the authority?
  • the states can certainly ban crowds gathering at games, or even ban games altogether, etc... within their state
  • it seems the conferences have the authority to call off a season for their member schools, but I'm having a helluva time confirming that
  • it does not seem that the NCAA has the authority to cancel the season, but again, I'm struggling to confirm this

After what I heard from Joel Klatt on outkick last week, here's my read-It depends on the league. The SEC and Big 12 will go whenever. The Big 10 and ACC are the leagues that hold the cards here-If Rutgers couldn't play in the fall, the Big 10 would probably move ahead without them. If Ohio State and Michigan could not play in the fall, we see the sport as a whole shift to the spring IMO. Same thing in the ACC-they could probably move forward without one of Syracuse/BC/Pitt, but if all three sat-Uh oh. The Pac 12 is a different animal-the leadership of the conference doesn't have the trust of its membership according to JK. If the California/Oregon/Washington schools sat the season, he said the others would go ahead and try to play anyway.

I’d take the word of a medical professional who advises the most popular professional sports league in the world over the word of an AD of a college program who will be primarily worried about the economic consequences.

If there was proper social distancing, I would go sit in the stands. My problem would be the pay cut I had to take because of the shutdown, I don't think we will use our disposable income to attend games for a while.

If I was in charge of CU, I'd be more concerned about enrolment crashing when I expect parents and students to pay full tuition to take classes on youtube.

Does anyone have an idea of when the PAC-12 committee is going to meet next and put out some sort of statement concerning the football season? By June 1st? I would think that the schools are getting some sort of preliminary guidance already from the Governors, and perhaps LA's mayor, such that they can say something productive one way or another, such that if the facilities are open some training can begin. It may not be popular, but I hope the Governors step in and put the kibosh on local governments (except maybe LA) preventing re-opening, unless those local governments have a darn good reason to prevent re-opening.

I hope the PAC has it's s*** together in terms of being somewhat aligned timing-wise with the other P5 conferences... but I'm not confident.

****braska could play UTEP in Wuhan, China tomorrow and 100k ****er fans would find a way to be there. Use a better example than them.

I used them purposefully and pointed out that they have a different set of priorities than we have. That’s part of what I’m trying to get across. There are a lot of people who don’t give a damn about the virus and would go to a football game in a climate far worse than the one we are currently experiencing. That’s the reality that we are dealing with - that there will almost undoubtedly be multiple schools that if given the chance, will operate at full capacity. Given the trajectory that we are seeing of several businesses being re-opened, I suspect that number to be quite large, possibly even a majority of P5 schools.

Are they stupid for doing so? Maybe. But don’t for a second think they won’t throw open the gates if given the chance.

If we take CU's case for example and only allowed season ticket holders in, you still have roughly half the seats filled, impossible to maintain proper distancing between groups. I think the only option currently is that they only allow students in the stadium, they will be on campus anyway. With only 10 to 15 thousand, you could spread them out around the lower bowl and upper bowl.

Parents and family of the players could be given the club seats. I think suites to all be used as normal, as each suite owner controls who is there.

I'd go. In a heartbeat, while wearing an appropriate mask and doing my best to keep my distance from people. Minimize trips to the head (so less drinking) and sit in my seat through the entire game. Let the crowd dissipate after the game before I leave. There should be plenty of seats in the stadium to keep distance from people.

EDIT: Talking about home games...

I'd go. In a heartbeat, while wearing an appropriate mask and doing my best to keep my distance from people. Minimize trips to the head (so less drinking) and sit in my seat through the entire game. Let the crowd dissipate after the game before I leave. There should be plenty of seats in the stadium to keep distance from people.

EDIT: Talking about home games...
I was definitely also thinking that if this happens I'll be drinking less beer to avoid the toilets. these are times for hard liquors.

I used them purposefully and pointed out that they have a different set of priorities than we have. That’s part of what I’m trying to get across. There are a lot of people who don’t give a damn about the virus and would go to a football game in a climate far worse than the one we are currently experiencing. That’s the reality that we are dealing with - that there will almost undoubtedly be multiple schools that if given the chance, will operate at full capacity. Given the trajectory that we are seeing of several businesses being re-opened, I suspect that number to be quite large, possibly even a majority of P5 schools.

Are they stupid for doing so? Maybe. But don’t for a second think they won’t throw open the gates if given the chance.
1590083822990.png

Oh I know full well there will be people at sporting events-whether we're talking the PGA (assuming they're able to hold to the four events with no fans), MLB, NHL, or NBA. ****, this shot is from a Georgia Tech (IIRC on the school) game during the Spanish Flu pandemic.

That's gonna be up to us-I'm not planning on doing anything where I can't socially distance from the general public for a while with ease. I'll watch what's back-and frankly I think it would probably good for everyday Americans to have sports back. Easier to keep people at home if there's live baseball/basketball/hockey on (especially since it looks like the latter two are in the process of creating "bubbles" that they could finish their seasons in).

As I think about it, not sure what it might mean to football or other fall (and maybe winter?) sports (???), but North Carolina (UNC) and NC State, like Notre Dame earlier, have evidently announced plans to start their semester early (Aug. 10th) and end before Thanksgiving.
(Source - https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/education/article242876236.html)

Be interesting to see if this becomes "the thing to do" for all or almost all schools.

View attachment 37002

Oh I know full well there will be people at sporting events-whether we're talking the PGA (assuming they're able to hold to the four events with no fans), MLB, NHL, or NBA. ****, this shot is from a Georgia Tech (IIRC on the school) game during the Spanish Flu pandemic.

That's gonna be up to us-I'm not planning on doing anything where I can't socially distance from the general public for a while with ease. I'll watch what's back-and frankly I think it would probably good for everyday Americans to have sports back. Easier to keep people at home if there's live baseball/basketball/hockey on (especially since it looks like the latter two are in the process of creating "bubbles" that they could finish their seasons in).
that looks like more people than GIT averaged at Bobby Dodd over the last 15 years

In order to not risk their main business, they need to fully open campus, agree?
not necessarily. And even if it was fully open, bringing 25-100k strangers onto campus from all over the country (not even counting stadium and security staff) and letting them mix with students in close quarters is absolutely a significant additional risk.

Reactions: dio
not necessarily. And even if it was fully open, bringing 25-100k strangers onto campus from all over the country (not even counting stadium and security staff) and letting them mix with students in close quarters is absolutely a significant additional risk.
I don't think CU Boulder is getting that sweet sweet out of state money if campus and dorms aren't open, and I'd even venture to say current out of state students aren't spending that money on an online only experience. That said, I agree about the additional risk.

In order to not risk their main business, they need to fully open campus, agree?

CU will be "on campus" this fall, the dorms will be open. Not sure at what level, but "fully" is unknown for now.

Here is what is says on the CU website:

https://www.colorado.edu/coronavirus

Fall 2020 Planning: Building a Boulder Campus Experience
Informed by the latest data, science and public health guidance, our campus is taking steps to create an innovative in-person, residential experience that will keep our community—including our most vulnerable populations—safe, ensure access and quality for our students and advance our academic and research mission during the COVID-19 era this fall.

Academic instruction
  • Our plan will explore our academic experience to feature the expanded use of blended in-person and remote learning, flexible course delivery models, student cohorts and the possibility of condensed terms.

A COVID-ready campus experience
  • Our plan will provide for a phased return to research, scholarship and creative work, and flexible campus life and co-curricular experiences for new and returning undergraduate and graduate students.
  • It will be supported by robust public health mitigation and safety measures that reduce the risk of transmission.
  • It will provide modified delivery of a full range of student and faculty/staff support services, innovative approaches to events, athletics, arts and culture and experiential opportunities; diversity, equity and community building efforts; and school spirit and Buff pride.

By or before June 1
  • Anticipated announcement of structure for Fall 2020 plans
  • Implementation begins, with coordination by the Provost and Deans

I don't think CU Boulder is getting that sweet sweet out of state money if campus and dorms aren't open, and I'd even venture to say current out of state students aren't spending that money on an online only experience.
100% agree. Out of state undergrads are paying high tuition for their experience in Boulder.

College tuition needed a major adjustment, hope it happens. Might be one good thing that comes out of this mess.

From what we know, I don't see how there is any way to open up sporting events to fans. Maybe a very small portion of them.

However, if most of the SEC and BIG Schools are given the choice to open up full stadiums and were allowed to, they will be full. Its laughable to think otherwise.

From what we know, I don't see how there is any way to open up sporting events to fans. Maybe a very small portion of them.

However, if most of the SEC and BIG Schools are given the choice to open up full stadiums and were allowed to, they will be full. Its laughable to think otherwise.

And I think it'd be completely irresponsible to do so and think the whole discussion of allowing fans is bizarre as I think here at least people don't expect to see a stadium from the inside for the very foreseeable future and at least the end of the year.

Only a few posters here seem to think they will be given the choice.

Back