What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2020 CU football season POSTPONED until Nov 6th?

This is untrue. I can only speak for myself, but my concerns are rooted in an interest in a care for player health, fan safety, and the continuation of the sport itself. If this pandemic is mishandled, college football may not exist for many schools ever again. Several posters here have glossed over/ignored the substantial liabilities universities will face if players/staff die or have long-term health problems from program negligence.

Some people pretend that false analogies to professional sports should apply to amateur sports. Many schools will have great difficulty in creating extensive testing and distancing like the professional sports league that are running currently have - not to mention that those professional league are running matches without fans.

Under what conditions do you want college football to be played this fall?

At this point I'm just hoping my kids play sports this fall in HS (neither are in football). My interest in the current football staff at CU has gone from concerned to apathetic.

Under what conditions do you want college football to be played this fall?
1) no fans
2) constant testing (every 24-48 hours) for all players and staff. Tests before every game. No one positive can be around - even on game day. Tracing and isolation for anyone positive
3) Players take all classes online and only live alone or with other team members. If players don’t have cars, schools pay for chartered transport with masks and distancing

1) no fans
2) constant testing (every 24-48 hours) for all players and staff. Tests before every game. No one positive can be around - even on game day. Tracing and isolation for anyone positive
3) Players take all classes online and only live alone or with other team members. If players don’t have cars, schools pay for chartered transport with masks and distancing
problem is even if they enact this... they are still college kids who are gonna go out and party. You cant keep them under lock and key 24/7, its not prison.

If they move to cancel the season, then I'd think that they would have to close campus as well, and return to the online format........players are just as or maybe even more susceptible to catching the virus in a classroom, dormatory, cafeteria, etc.as they are outside practicing.

problem is even if they enact this... they are still college kids who are gonna go out and party. You cant keep them under lock and key 24/7, its not prison.
This is where the daily testing and isolation will come into place. It will create a deterrent for these guys who will want to see the field. These policies are what the universities can demand. I don’t think a sufficient number of players will be psychopathic and go out partying if they know they’re positive.

I'm just waiting to see the reaction of the jury in the civil suit.

The university in question has a sports medicine staff, the university has a microbiology department with professors who study virus based diseases, they might even have a full med school.

The CDC has put out reams of information on the disease, the state and local health departments have issued warnings against close contact with groups of people.

All this and the school still went ahead with practices and games and 19 year old Mike Jones, HS class president and 3.2 GPA student on track to be the first in his family to graduate along with 23 of his teammates got sick. Mike happened to end up on a respirator and died.

How much is this jury going to award?

I know that given the option a lot of schools would play their season, some of those would even fill the stands with fans. Unless something happens though soon to change the potential outcomes it isn't hard to see at least some schools saying no, and once those schools do it the decision for others to keep going gets much harder.

Any word on how sick the players who came down with the virus got? I haven’t seen any information on whether these kids are going into the hospital and putting stress in the healthcare system.

If students are on campus taking classes, there will be football, and it would be stupid to suggest that shouldn’t be the case. Again, everyone is so focused on CFB, but that is such a minor issue relative to the broader student body and faculty being on campus.
Why is that a given? You can wear a mask and social distance to some extent in the classroom. You can do neither in football. I mean, you're probably right, but it would be driven by economics vs logic.

There are some posters that flat out do not want college football to be played this fall. Nothing short of a Covid-19 vaccination discovery that is shot into the arms of every person by July 15 will change that.

I want college football but not at the expense of the lives of 18 to 22 year olds.

College athletics is long overdue for a massive shakeup and this pandemic looks like it'll do the trick.

And there's always sports videogames to be playing...even on your smartphones...if you have heard of such a thing.

I am surprised nike or a similar company hasn’t come up with a respirator type of helmet that would allow for breathing but lessening the spread. Seems like a no brainer and a huge marketing win.

Any word on how sick the players who came down with the virus got? I haven’t seen any information on whether these kids are going into the hospital and putting stress in the healthcare system.

From The Athletic:

Clemson has had 23 football players and two football staff members test positive for COVID-19, according to a person with direct knowledge of the matter. The school on Friday announced 28 total positive test results among student-athletes and staff in June, but did not specify the sports they represented.

More than half of the players were asymptomatic, and there are no hospitalizations.

https://theathletic.com/1882572/2020/06/19/clemson-tigers-football-covid-19-positive-tests/

From The Athletic:

Clemson has had 23 football players and two football staff members test positive for COVID-19, according to a person with direct knowledge of the matter. The school on Friday announced 28 total positive test results among student-athletes and staff in June, but did not specify the sports they represented.

More than half of the players were asymptomatic, and there are no hospitalizations.

https://theathletic.com/1882572/2020/06/19/clemson-tigers-football-covid-19-positive-tests/
It could very well be that the difference between having college football and not will come down to whether the virus is deemed especially dangerous to players.

Kansas State and LSU both with double figures positive test.

LSU with at least 30 in quarantine. KSU suspended all workouts.

Think we will see more schools in similar situations soon.

I am surprised nike or a similar company hasn’t come up with a respirator type of helmet that would allow for breathing but lessening the spread. Seems like a no brainer and a huge marketing win.

Looks like Clemson, LSU, and Texas are going to have most/all of their players cycled thru Covid by the time the season starts. Those schools could have a huge advantage overs the schools thst are slower to get thru this.

Looks like Clemson, LSU, and Texas are going to have most/all of their players cycled thru Covid by the time the season starts. Those schools could have a huge advantage overs the schools thst are slower to get thru this.
Why? Anitbodies for C-19 aren’t permanent. They can be reinfected.

I just talked to a doc from the bay area. Our CEO brought her on a leadership conference call.

• The Common Cold is a Corona Virus, we get those all the time. Covid19 is ~85% the same as the Common Cold.
  • She said the testing is a joke. None of the tests meet medical standards but because its a pandemic theyve all been rushed to market without being refined. Hence, Lots of false positives and negatives. She said Deep lung samples, think really look qtip down your throat while your unconscious, has been the most reliable. Most people are not getting that test Unless theyre in the hospital.
  • They are not sure why people get it twice. She suspects it was a combination of the unreliable testing and that the disease presents in patients for a really really long time.

Like any sport players at a high level need peak lung capacity.

After a serious case of COVID-19, a patient’s lungs can recover, but not overnight. “Recovery from lung damage takes time,” Galiatsatos says. “There’s the initial injury to the lungs, followed by scarring. Over time, the tissue heals, but it can take three months to a year or more for a person’s lung function to return to pre-COVID-19 levels.”

However, we can look at other coronaviruses – severe acute respiratory syndrome (Sars) and Middle East respiratory syndrome (Mers) – to try to predict long-term outcomes.

We know that Sars can cause pulmonary fibrosis, and a large analysis of Sars and Mers patients showed weakened lung function and exercise capability in some survivors up to six months after hospital discharge. However, a 15-year follow-up of patients showed improvement in lung function and less damage visible on CT scans over time.

Football will not be normal.

Fall is coming. How will any of these impact things if they come in August;

Starting QB tests positive goes into isolation misses 14 days of practice, conditioning, weights. Maybe zoom into team meetings and film sessions
Starting LB gets mild infection, 7-14 days sick plus follow on 14(?) day isolation period.
Star RB or Guard gets strong infection, 14-30 days sick likely lost for half the season at best for lung recovery.

Think of that in terms of any uperclassman starter on a team.

Infection hits coaching staff forcing cancellation of practice.
Large Team wide infection breakout cancels practice 2 weeks.
Player dies amid an infection breakout, parents withdraw children from school In panic.

Responses
players being asked to play and or practice positions that are not their recruited skill set.
players lower down the depth chart bubbling into starting rotation (underweight underclassman) out of necessity.
Reduced practice time, inconsistent practice, limited contact, teams underprepared.

State laws governors orders regarding lockdowns that do not exempt Univ athletics.

This is the equivalent of scheduling a couple of directional schools to start the season, so you have some buffer to suspend guys who get in trouble during the off season and not impact any games that matter. 4D Chess.

Source? I've heard nothing conclusive on either side.
People getting reinfected. In the Coronavirus thread, there are article links. I also posted one below. You’re right, it’s not definitive (most information we have currently isn’t definitive since the virus has many strains and mutations) but people getting reinfected seems to be a strong indicator that you don’t necessarily have permanent immunity post infection.

People getting reinfected. In the Coronavirus thread, there are article links. I also posted one below. You’re right, it’s not definitive (most information we have currently isn’t definitive since the virus has many strains and mutations) but people getting reinfected seems to be a strong indicator that you don’t necessarily have permanent immunity post infection.

Thanks.

Not conclusive, but not encouraging either.
Given that coronaviruses tend to not confer immunity for very long (common cold), it's probably to be expected.
The SARS-CoV-1 analyses suggested a couple years of immunity.

Among 176 patients who had had severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS), SARS-specific antibodies were maintained for an average of 2 years, and significant reduction of immunoglobulin G–positive percentage and titers occurred in the third year. Thus, SARS patients might be susceptible to reinfection >3 years after initial exposure.

Immune memory is one of the most poorly understood areas of biomedical research.

A number of the reinfection stories have been shown to be almost certainly intermittent false negative tests.

We don't have a good idea at all if any significant immunity is conferred by a natural infection.

Back