What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2020 CU football season POSTPONED until Nov 6th?

What I have seen indicates that people who have had the disease can test positive again. They rarely actually get sick again and tend to not be contagious.

They aren't sure if people can actually be re-infected or if the virus simply lays in a latent form in the person only to come back later.

There seems to be a lot more about this virus that we don't know than we do. It is going to keep a lot of scientist gainfully employed for the next several years at least.

@MiamiBuffs hits on the big issue though. What kind of season do you have when you have a team that ends up with 30 players not available due to quarantine including 15 starters, what do you do when half the coaching staff is at home?

I have already mentioned the legal issues when we lose a player to the disease. Mostly the players are young and healthy enough that most will not have severe reactions but a lot of the coaches and the support staffs are people over 55 for whom the risk starts to rise rapidly.

Athletic has a good article (sub required) on KSU coronavirus issue. Players attending a party took down the team. As said elsewhere, off-field discipline is key. Smart schools will have players take all on-line classes this fall.

ASU student athletes take all online classes, this was before covid.
This is all I can find, but it is 3 years ago. A mix is encouraged but full online is allowed, except freshmen are "expected" to take all classes in person.

I hear ya man, I just think it isn't the best idea in the world. I know why they are going to do it, hope it works out.
They will do everything they can to make it happen because of the amount of money involved.

I think there is a good chance though that in the end we don't have football this year.

I also think that even if we start a season there is a better than even chance it gets shut down.

Get a couple players on ventilators and things change very quickly in terms of the schools desire to play. And that is if the governors don't shut them down first.

If there's no college football this year, is it good or bad for the Buffs in the context of the coaching change?
Probably good. I think this would be a pretty brutal year on the field, personally.

it’s looking more and more likely that we won’t have a season. At least to my way of thinking. I’m disappointed, but I also realize that’s a first world problem if there ever was one.

Bring on the spring season. NFL in the fall, college in the spring, brief summer recess and back to football.

I think focusing on a Spring College Football season would be a smart thing to do right now but not sure that we have the leadership in college sports to do so. I am not sure that the Govenors will put a stop to it as they have reopened states but the resuls we are seeing with positive tests on teams should be an indicator that this is almost impossible to do safely

I said this before, but I'll repeat it. If we have a season this fall, prepare for record breaking injury rates. If we wait until the spring to have the season, it will be even worse. I bring this up because this will be in the context of AD's across the country barely hanging on financially, and likely needing significant loans/bailouts to make it through. Mix it all together, and we might find ourselves in the perfect environment for the "Football hater" faction to finally make some noise in changing the landscape of the sport.

The South will be the South, but more casual environments like the western states are poised to be hit the worst. This could end up being the perfect catalyst to bring on a restructuring of the sport that we never imagined.

If the main problem is that players can't stop getting infected I am not sure if things are gonna be much different next March.
Yeah. Getting no infections across college football is not going to happen for a very, very, very long time.

I think this comes down to either college athletics is willing to take the chance of playing sports in 2020-21, or going completely bankrupt. The finances are bad for majority of colleges athletic programs and they can't survive missing out on a whole year. I don't think people realize how big of a decision this is financially and what that impact will be.

A spring football season wouldn’t bother me at all. I think that would be kind of cool, in fact. If we are legitimately talking about this virus still being around in February, then we have much bigger problems than college football.

I think focusing on a Spring College Football season would be a smart thing to do right now but not sure that we have the leadership in college sports to do so. I am not sure that the Govenors will put a stop to it as they have reopened states but the resuls we are seeing with positive tests on teams should be an indicator that this is almost impossible to do safely
If we had the choice of fall season with 25% capacity or spring season with potentially full capacity... man, that's tempting. And considering how much AD money is tied to seat and donations for those seats, schools might consider too.

Hell, there isn’t anything that would prevent them from running the season into June, and picking up again in, say, October to get back into some kind of regular schedule.

If we had the choice of fall season with 25% capacity or spring season with potentially full capacity... man, that's tempting. And considering how much AD money is tied to seat and donations for those seats, schools might consider too.

This is so absolutely true. I have season tickets as well with a hefty donation that I did not send in when I saw this thing unfold. They have called and asked if I was renewing and I told them I would give them an answer when I saw the plan for the next season. They told me they put me down as committed but totally understood and I would get to keep my seats if I reupped when the plan was announced and I could actually come see games. They are not driving anyone away and trying to keep everyone on board and have approached it the right way

A spring football season wouldn’t bother me at all. I think that would be kind of cool, in fact. If we are legitimately talking about this virus still being around in February, then we have much bigger problems than college football.
It's my expectation that it'll still be around in February.

Decent chance there's a vaccine by then (at least Fauci and others think so).

Having a vaccine is one thing. Mass producing it and vaccinating a few billion people is another. And athletes won’t be at the top of the list when that day comes.

Having a vaccine is one thing. Mass producing it and vaccinating a few billion people is another. And athletes won’t be at the top of the list when that day comes.
Sure, but having a vaccine gives people a lot more comfort and leeway than having no vaccine and just hoping one is available 6 months from now. At-risk people that either athletes might contact or that might be bumping into each other in a crowded stadium may have some ability to get that vaccine depending on when a spring season starts.

Sure, but having a vaccine gives people a lot more comfort and leeway than having no vaccine and just hoping one is available 6 months from now. At-risk people that either athletes might contact or that might be bumping into each other in a crowded stadium may have some ability to get that vaccine depending on when a spring season starts.

Yes. The risk groups and medical personnel will come first.

Sure they will. Just like they were when testing was scarce. Rich people will always be at the front of the line and when you throw league commissioners and owners in the mix, they will ensure their products are taken care of

Back