What's new
  • In addition to the game day thread we will also have live chat during the Buffs UCLA game. Consider it the 2020 version of a tailgate. This is normally a club member only feature but will be open to all registered users this weekend.

Covid-19 and Buff Olympic sports (Pac 12 announces soccer and volleyball regular seasons will be conference play only)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
The NCAA D1 Board of Directors have voted, and looks like they've approved the Council recommendations regarding fall sports I noted in the last post above in this thread.

Link to release - https://www.ncaa.org/about/resource...proves-plan-holding-fall-championships-spring

Table in the release with info for the various sports -

"

ChampionshipReduced Bracket SizeAutomatic QualifiersAt LargeFirst PracticeFirst CompetitionSelectionsChampionship Dates
Men’s and women’s cross country255 per genderN/A255 per genderInstitutional discretionJan. 23March 6March 15
Field hockey12102Institutional discretionFeb. 12April 24May 7-9
Football16115Institutional discretionInstitutional discretionApril 18May 14-16 (exact date TBD)
Men’s soccer362412Institutional discretionFeb. 3April 18May 13-17
Women’s soccer483117Institutional discretionFeb. 3April 18May 13-17
Women’s volleyball483216Institutional discretionJan. 22April 4April 23-25
Men’s water polo660Institutional discretionJan. 16March 7March 19-21

"
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

As I noted in the last post, it sounds like cross country is the one fall sport that still might move around, even if other (pandemic related) factors don't come into play. Thestridereport put out an article discussing this.-

Direct link to article - https://www.thestridereport.com/pos...-championships-in-march-concerns-still-linger

"
The NCAA D1 Board of Directors announced earlier today that they have approved plans to hold fall championships in the spring. For cross country, this means that the NCAA XC Championships will be held on March 15th with the first official date of competition taking place on January 23rd.

However, based on a September 16th announcement from the NCAA, there is "some concern in the membership about conducting cross country, indoor track and field, and outdoor track and field in the spring term."

It is still unclear what additional steps may be needed in order for a winter cross country season to happen (if any) and there is still potential for Division I conferences to opt out of the 2021 winter cross country season.
"

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
As has already been noted in football and basketball threads, there have been major decisions by the Pac 12 today, although for the Olympic fall sports I assume the NCAA decisions I've posted about in the last couple posts give most of the "meaty" news for them.

As quoted below, as of now no fans will be allowed at any Pac 12 competitions, but the Pac 12 will be re-evaluating this in Jamuay. Hopefully things improve so that, with the fall sports not scheduled to start until January anyways, there's at least some hope we'll still get to root the Buffs on live and in person at Prentup and/ or the Event Center in the early months of 2021.

Taking things from the Pac 12 release (https://pac-12.com/article/2020/09/24/pac-12-announcement) and cubuffs article (https://cubuffs.com/news/2020/9/24/cu-pac-12-to-start-2020-football-season-on-nov-6.aspx), items related to the Olympic sports in them include-

Pac 12 release (I bolded parts related to Olympic sports if buried in a paragraph) -
"
SAN FRANCISCO - The Pac-12 CEO Group announced today that based upon updated Pac-12 COVID-19 Medical Advisory Committee recommendations that take into account material changes to testing capabilities, the prevalence of COVID-19 and cardiac issues, along with updated state and local health official guidance, the Conference will resume its football, basketball and winter sport seasons. The football season may now commence for those teams that have the necessary state and local health approvals on November 6, men’s and women’s basketball on November 25 consistent with the NCAA’s official start date for these sports, and other winter sports consistent with the NCAA season dates for those sports. The decision follows a meeting of the CEO Group last week where the Pac-12 COVID-19 Medical Advisory Committee presented its updated health and safety recommendations (available here), along with the CEO Group having reviewed details on the rollout of the previously announced Quidel daily rapid-results testing program.

No fans will be permitted at any sporting competition taking place on Pac-12 campuses. The decision to not allow fans at competitions will be revisited based upon health and safety considerations in January 2021.

Fall sports for which post-season championships were postponed by the NCAA until the spring will be conducted starting January 2021, with preparation and practice occurring during the fall as permitted by NCAA rules.

In all cases, competition with non-conference opponents will be contingent upon such non-conference opponents implementing minimum testing protocols in accordance with NCAA and Pac-12 COVID-19 Medical Advisory Committee recommendations.
"

From the cubuffs.com article-

"

As a whole, the conference CEOs decided to proceed to hold games with no fans through the end of the year for both football and basketball. In addition, no bands or spirit squads will be permitted for time being as well. The conference will revisit for basketball and spring sports such as volleyball and soccer in January.

.... Daily testing for each day of athletic participation will be implemented for sports that entail higher risk of transmission activity. Competition with nonconference opponents will be contingent upon such non-conference opponents implementing minimum testing protocols in accordance with Pac 12 Medical Board recommendations.
"

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Looks like, last Friday, the NCAA made some rulings/ clarification about what the rules are regarding transfers and early enrollee freshmen and spring semester transfers being able to play this spring in the traditionally fall and winter sports (should apply to volleyball, soccer and cross country at CU). (Per the NCAA release, this supersedes an earlier ruling that no mid-year arriving freshmen and transfers could participate in the fall sports' unusual spring seasons this academic year.)

Links -
(A) To topdrawersoccer article that 1st alerted me to this change/ clarification - https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer-articles/mid-year-transfers-to-play-in-2021_aid48676

(B) To NCAA release - https://www.ncaa.org/about/resource...i-council-adopts-midyear-enrollee-legislation
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

My understanding of the new rules (All quotes are from the NCAA released linked to above) :
  • Freshmen - "To qualify for spring competition, freshmen who enroll at midyear must have graduated in the spring or summer of 2020 and made a written commitment to a school indicating intent to enroll in the fall 2020 term. " (Or, as I interpret it, they're only going to allow those freshmen to play who would have probably played this fall, but decided not even to go to college this semester due to the pandemic.)

• Transfers:
    • "If a transfer engaged in competition in the fall or winter term of 2020, the student-athlete is not eligible to compete at the new school in spring 2021." (So, student athletes who have been competing this fall (in conferences such as the SEC, ACC or Big 12) can't transfer to a new school next semester and compete immediately. Therefore, other transfers who did NOT compete this fall CAN play in the spring.?.)
    • One exception to that for grad-school transfers - "Additionally, fall sport student-athletes who graduate in the fall term of 2020 are not eligible to compete in spring 2021."

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
A few things;

As I already noted in the football thread, sounds like there's a good chance the NCAA (at least the football side) will vote next week to extend the recruiting dead period (for coaches and recruits physically meeting, official recruit visits to campuses, etc.) from January 1 to April 15th, 2021. Although the article I'm linking to is specifically covering football, I'd GUESS (???) that extension or something similar will also be addressed soon by all the other NCAA sports. (article - https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...g-coaches-away-from-recruits-for-over-a-year/ )
______________________________________________________________________________________

And, my impression is the Ivy League is often going their own way. Hope this doesn't become required for the whole NCAA (please socially distance, wear masks, don't go anywhere, especially inside, where other folk outside your household are if you don't need to, etc.), but looks like they've cancelled all winter sport seasons for the coming year.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Also, I can't vouch for it one way or the other, but for those interested in learning some things that both high school seniors this year and current college student-athletes are facing in these pandemic times, here's an article by volleyballmag.com - https://volleyballmag.com/volleyball-recruiting-dilemma-111320/
(As the article's website name indicates, this is concentrating on Volleyball, but assume (???) it will more or less apply to most every sport.)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
As looked likely (see my last post above), the dead period has now officially been moved out through April 15th, 2021.

Last edited: