What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU recruit Simon keeps options open

RSSBot

News Junkie
Shaun Simon has given Colorado football coaches his pledge to join their program twice. There couldn`t be a stronger indication about his feeling for the school and the team.

More...

The decision last year to keep Hawk around another year is going to kill us this year in recruiting, this is just another example.

We all know that kids should make their deciisions based on the school environment, quality of education and how their educational options fit their interest, support, etc. We also know that most kids base their decisions on the relationship they build with the HC and his assistants. As a teenager they don't consider that in most cases those coaches aren't going to be there by the time they graduate anyways so they make it the most important thing in their decisions.

I have a sinking feeling that if Hawk is around all year and the record is similar to what we have seen in the past couple of years we will essentially lose a class in recruiting. If he wins big, this could and likely would change since I think considering all his faults and the losing he has been at least a decent recruiter. If he starts losing early, then we need to make a change early and at least give us a chance to recruit kids based on the school and not on their relationship to Hawk and some of his assistants that will likely not be here.

I think that Simon is a guy that likes Boulder enough that if the coaching change is made he can be sold on playing for CU and the Buffs, not neccessarily Hawkins and staff. I hope this is the case because he looks like one of those late developing linemen who could turn into a force for us on the field and now it sounds like he has an understanding of what it takes to be successfull off the field as well.

CUfan is seriously torn now.

It is interesting that Hawkins and his staff can be so good in some living rooms as evidenced by this quote from the article "But he says if Dan Hawkins and his assistants aren't in Boulder at the end of the coming season, he could end up elsewhere. He says if there is no coaching change in Boulder, he has no doubt he will be a Buff."

I have to give Hawk credit. He can still sell his BS in the face of very little success. You are right. I am torn. I love to hear how committed some of these kids are to him. If he could only coach at the same time?

I agree with MtnBuff. No decision to let Hawkins go or any vote of confidence the other way is likely to be devastating to our recruiting this year.

You can't base coaching decisions on what recruits are going to do or not do. Simon is a player, but if he's wedded to Hawk being the only coach he'll play for at CU, so be it. Hawk's record has been, unfortunately, very poor. Barring the miraculous, CU needs to go in a different direction, actually, they needed to do it a the end of last season.

As was pointed out on another board, this staff is really the only staff that recruited him. If Hawkins gets fired, he may be more concerned that the only staff that wanted him no longer has a job and may feel like he has to try to open some doors for himself.

At any rate, he's a JUCO, once he didn't make it in his freshman year, there's a 90% chance we'd never see him in black and gold anyway.

Back