What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Death of College Football and Amateurism

CPVbuff

Gavin Newsom, The CA governor signed the bill that allows participants to get paid. The NCAA won’t be able to stop this. Recruiting takes a whole new path. This is the death of amateur Athletics.

Think about how much money that can now be funneled into the Major programs and the impact on recruiting!

Let the games begin I predict almost all states will pass similar legislation in the next 24 months. Just to compete

I assume the California schools will be getting a recruiting advantage or bump until other states follow through ??
Sure hope somebody at CU has already been in the ear of the Colorado gov.

Even if Colorado passes the same law, where is the money going to come from to pay players at CU?

Under the California law, the players will be able to profit from their own likeness, so guys like Viska selling autographs. No money would be coming directly from the schools though.

The only downside is if boosters decide to only use their money to pay football players rather than donate to the athletic departments general funds. People think this will hurt non revenue sports but I don’t think it will be as bad as they make it out to be

Even if Colorado passes the same law, where is the money going to come from to pay players at CU?
How about massive advertising dollars. These can range from anything from “the sink” in Boulder to restaurant chains, auto dealers. To massive social media platforms. It also allows a path for boosters to influence recruits. Come to CU. We are signing you to X marketing deal as you matriculate through college.

What would a booster with a large company pay to have Trevor Lawrence come to school?

How about massive advertising dollars. These can range from anything from “the sink” in Boulder to restaurant chains, auto dealers. To massive social media platforms. It also allows a path for boosters to influence recruits. Come to CU. We are signing you to X marketing deal as you matriculate through college.

What would a booster with a large company pay to have Trevor Lawrence come to school?

How much did they pay him to go to Clemson?

And could this mean more boosters come online as well?

The rich just got richer. Eventually everyone will pass this and then those free cars won’t be so “secret” at Alabama anymore. At least when college football is ruined I’ll have more time on my weekends to go enjoy the outdoors.

tenor.gif

I’m probably in the minority around here but I think this is amateurism that needs to die. There is so much money in the system and we are asking these (mostly minority) kids to put their health on the line to entertain us.

They get free educations for christ sakes. Most of them are mad at that not being enough because they don’t care about school and it’s just a stepping stone to the NFL payday. I still owe 30K in student loans, if someone would have paid for mine I would have been eternally grateful.

I’m totally fine with them being able to make some money off video games, jersey sales and maybe a autograph event.

But this is going to get scary I’m afraid. It says they can’t pay players directly, doesn’t matter. I can see car dealers now “sponsoring” kids with brand new cars. No one will go to school for school, it will be for who offers them the best free ****.

I’d rather they just forget this exists and remove the NCAA requirement for the NFL. Then the kids who are just in this for the money and gifts can bypass it all.

They get free educations for christ sakes. Most of them are mad at that not being enough because they don’t care about school and it’s just a stepping stone to the NFL payday. I still owe 30K in student loans, if someone would have paid for mine I would have been eternally grateful.

I’m totally fine with them being able to make some money off video games, jersey sales and maybe a autograph event.

But this is going to get scary I’m afraid. It says they can’t pay players directly, doesn’t matter. I can see car dealers now “sponsoring” kids with brand new cars. No one will go to school for school, it will be for who offers them the best free ****.

I’d rather they just forget this exists and remove the NCAA requirement for the NFL. Then the kids who are just in this for the money and gifts can bypass it all.
The whole, they get a free education has been pure bull**** for a long time. Very few people care if they actually get a degree or not. Many schools funnel kids to mostly worthless classes that keep them eligible to play.

NFL payday applies to a tiny percentage of college players.

I’m probably in the minority around here but I think this is amateurism that needs to die. There is so much money in the system and we are asking these (mostly minority) kids to put their health on the line to entertain us.
This is why I think the NFL needs a separate development league. They have too sweet a deal using the college system as their farm clubs. If players want to go pro, why pretend to be students? They could go directly into minor league football.

But, the universities and media love the cash cow it has evolved into and left the students out of the rewards. Since I don’t expect a stand alone farm system to appear anytime soon, I grudgingly support the CA law.

I do think the NFL should carry more of the burden of developing the athletes and taking responsibility for the risk to the college players. I feel the same for anyone who would use a likeness of a college player. Does the law carry any legal protection for those players in the case of an injury?

RMAC football will always be here for you
do people care about the RMAC?
The California law covers D2, D3, and NAIA too I think. So in that case RMAC athletes would get paid too.
I will probably move more this direction.

People would be surprised at the attendance some of the RMAC schools get and the games are a lot of fun. You aren't going to see a Viska or the other super high level players but you would be surprised at the quality of play at a lot of D2 schools.

If this law becomes the norm D2 players would of course be able to take advantage but the money available isn't going to be enough to corrupt the game. I would imagine the most you would see is some kids getting a few bucks for doing an ad for the local pizza place. They aren't going to be getting enough to be a major influence on which school they pick.

It was inevitable. Hard to say what will happen to the competitive landscape. It will probably makes things even more unequal, but who knows.

Law doesn’t take effect for three years in California, by design. I believe a similar law is making its way through Colorado government now.

The whole, they get a free education has been pure bull**** for a long time. Very few people care if they actually get a degree or not. Many schools funnel kids to mostly worthless classes that keep them eligible to play.

NFL payday applies to a tiny percentage of college players.

It isn’t bull****. What’s bull**** is pretending that a 50-100K free ride to college is somehow a useless perk. If you’re too ****ing stupid to take advantage of free education that’s your own damn fault.

Nobody makes them go to college, nobody makes them play football, they do that on their own.

I’ve changed my mind, let them get paid. Then take the scholarships away and make them pay like the rest of us for everything.

It isn’t bull****. What’s bull**** is pretending that a 50-100K free ride to college is somehow a useless perk. If you’re too ****ing stupid to take advantage of free education that’s your own damn fault.

Nobody makes them go to college, nobody makes them play football, they do that on their own.

I’ve changed my mind, let them get paid. Then take the scholarships away and make them pay like the rest of us for everything.

Players have to take some personal responsibility for getting the most out of the college education, but you’re being obtuse if you believe the “system” doesn’t chew up and spit out a bunch of these kids. In terms of the massive time commitment required to play top tier football, it’s almost impossible to fully embrace academic life for most players. I think there are valid points on both sides here.

I’m all for figuring out a way to compensate student athletes fairly. But fair in my mind probably isn’t enough for the chivalric legislators. Where is the line drawn? Who gets how much? Does the crew team’s coxswain makes less than the football team’s kicker? Is it means tested?

I generally tend towards letting market forces figure things out, as in a voluntary exchange of goods for services. Not always, though. Hopefully California doesn’t screw it up.

A college education still can’t be discounted. For many of these kids, it really can be their one ticket out. Less useful degrees should be discouraged, though.

At most schools, particularly the ones that make $$$ off CFB, you have little latitude, as a player, on degree selection. The whole "free education" thing has been corrupted by the money making mission of CFB.

There are exceptions, of course, but the above is true by and large.

Back