What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Did I miss this. Salaam elected to college football HOF

We need to celebrate this achievement for Rashaan and honor his memory!

With that said, was just watching the College Football Championship show, and they are talking about this year's Class, and made mention of the "memorable inductees", including Crabtree and others, but literally did not even f-ing mention RASHAAN SALAAM, freaking Heisman Trophy-winning RB with 2,000-yard season and sadly passed away from mental health challenges, but I guess he did not deserve a full mention today. Come on Reece Davis, that was lame.

i agree, that is pretty lame.

i think Billy Sims is the best running back i ever i saw in person.....he was incredible.

Salaam was second, the way he hit the open space out of the deep pitch....wow. his feet seemed flat on the ground and other guys, lbs....diving the wrong way. or he put his pads on em.

anyway, i've spent a lot of time in my life at Eben Fine.

if that's the place you got to do it, ok.

MIck Ronson, out.

Last edited:
i agree, that is pretty lame.

i think Billy Sims is the best running back i ever i saw in person.....he was incredible.

Salaam was second, the way he hit the open space out of the deep pitch....wow. his feet seemed flat on the ground and other guys, lbs....diving the wrong way. or he put his pads on em.

anyway, i've spent a lot of time in my life at Eben Fine.

if that's the place you got to do it, ok.

MIck Ronson, out.
I agree with you about Sims. Guy had speed, guy had quicks and moves, guy could run inside, run outside, and even catch the ball and he punished tacklers while doing it.

Huge loss to the game when Sims injuries cut short his prime.

Salaam in college had a lot of those same characteristics. He had all the quickness and flash you needed to be on the edge of your seat but he was also a punishing runner.

Sanders was the most exciting runner I ever saw, every time he touched the ball no matter where it was on the field had a chance to become a spectacular TD. Unfortunately those giant runs cam at a cost as over his career he lost almost 1000 yards from scrimmage on plays that he lost yardage. He was boom or bust making it hard for his team to win.

All these guys were amazing to watch. Thurman Thomas and Barry Sanders back to back at OSU was an insane stretch. I miss the days when you had true stars in the backfield, it was some fun football to watch.

All these guys were amazing to watch. Thurman Thomas and Barry Sanders back to back at OSU was an insane stretch. I miss the days when you had true stars in the backfield, it was some fun football to watch.
Sanders was one player that I'd watch even though I didn't GAF about either team. I don't think there's been a player since I felt that way about.

If Mike Vick had been groomed to be a RB, maybe he could've been that guy, but with that arm, no chance he didn't play QB.

I loved watching Salaam run. One of my all time favorite buffs. Was so sad when he left us.

Sanders was my all time favorite running back to watch. He was the most elusive and nimble back I ever saw, and always turned no gain plays into plus yards by making would be tacklers whiff.

I loved watching Salaam run. One of my all time favorite buffs. Was so sad when he left us.

Sanders was my all time favorite running back to watch. He was the most elusive and nimble back I ever saw, and always turned no gain plays into plus yards by making would be tacklers whiff.
I felt that way about Marcus Allen as well. Too bad he played for the Raiders.

It was really sad that Salaam lost to his demons.

His talents should have made him an NFL star. Even with his issues he is still in the books as the youngest man to rush for 1000 yards.

It may have been CTE, it may have been some other combination of mental health issues but his NFL career was over before it really got started. With his size and speed he could have been something special.

In the big picture that is much less important than losing him to suicide. Another example of how we need to get much better at dealing with mental health issues.

It was really sad that Salaam lost to his demons.

His talents should have made him an NFL star. Even with his issues he is still in the books as the youngest man to rush for 1000 yards.

It may have been CTE, it may have been some other combination of mental health issues but his NFL career was over before it really got started. With his size and speed he could have been something special.

In the big picture that is much less important than losing him to suicide. Another example of how we need to get much better at dealing with mental health issues.
It isn’t that complex even though CTE may have contributed. You are the MAN for a single skill from early grade school until you are not (year 2 in the NFL for Salaam).

That is a MASSIVE realization for pretty much anyone.

Trying to figure out what to do next after 20-25 years is ****ing hard.

Both colleges and the NFL should do a better job of acknowledging this reality. They talk about it, but there should be much more support, IMO.

It isn’t that complex even though CTE may have contributed. You are the MAN for a single skill from early grade school until you are not (year 2 in the NFL for Salaam).

That is a MASSIVE realization for pretty much anyone.

Trying to figure out what to do next after 20-25 years is ****ing hard.

Both colleges and the NFL should do a better job of acknowledging this reality. They talk about it, but there should be much more support, IMO.
I agree with you completely but I also think that Salaam had some other mental health issues that probably should have been recognized and maybe could have been helped with.

I agree with you completely but I also think that Salaam had some other mental health issues that probably should have been recognized and maybe could have been helped with.
I can agree to a degree...."other mental health issues that probably should have been recognized and maybe could have been helped with".... it's the eternal question that can only be answered by the lost therefore it goes unanswered.

Yea the last 5 seasons of his career. I remember reading that he came into the visiting locker room in '97 after KC's divisional round loss to congratulate the Broncos. That was also his last game.
Marcus Allen is probably example number one of Al Davis being a vindictive asshole, and that vindictiveness ultimately harming the raiders on the field. Allen was one of the top 3 most talented RBs in the league for most of his career.

But he had a spat with Davis early on, and rather than trade him (and receive value in the trade) or play him and utilize his talent to, you know, win games, Davis sat him on the bench and only let the coach use him as a third down specialty back (which also harmed his value when he finally hit free agency - which was very late in a player's career in those days).

It was pure vindictiveness because Allen had dared to demand to be treated and paid like the star rb he was, and it's just one more example of Davis' holding the team back so that he could demonstrate his power over his players.

Back