What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Do I even need to say anything...Buffs humiliated by Rams, 72-58

Justin M Guerriero

Club Member
Club Member
I imagine many of you are about as pissed off as Jack Black before he punted Baxter off the bridge in Anchorman and I'm right there with you. Gosh damn that was an ugly game.

The stats that immediately jump out: Buffs shoot just 32.2% from the floor, including a horrid 23.5% (8-of-34) in the second half. Colorado struggled immensely from the free throw line. The team's collective 17-of-31 performance from the charity line really sunk them.

Wes Gordon and Derrick White spoke after the loss and were p.i.s.s.e.d. off man...

Question: Could this be a wakeup call for you guys going to Portland this weekend and Xavier coming here next week.

Derrick White: Notre Dame should have been a wake up call.

Question: You guys shot just 23% in the second half, was it just "one of those nights" where the team is cold from the floor or was tonight something else?

Derrick White: Yep, just one of those nights I guess.

Colorado's turnovers hurt, too. CSU scored 14 points off of the Buffaloes' 14 turnovers and had a solid performance from its bench; the Rams' sub ins scored 26 tonight compared to just 10 by the Buffs coming off the bench.

White led the team with 17 points, Gordon was next with 11 and had nine boards. Gordon missed far too many easy shots and finishes though. Shoulda had 20 tonight, minimum.

Xavier Johnson struggled...1-of-7 from the floor tonight, six points, seven boards.

Gordon: "We underestimated guys and they came out and handed it to us...we lost to a team that we should have beat...if we don't come out and play, that's what's going to happen every game."

The Buffs trailed 30-27 at halftime and throughout the second half, came close, repeatedly lowering their deficit to four points or six points, but could not overcome the Rams, who won despite shooting 38.5% from the floor.

Tad quotes.

"Obviously a disappointing night for Buffaloes basketball, we let an opportunity slip away that we'll never have back."

"I knew coming into this game that the next two weeks would tell us a lot about our team and where we are, because this is kind of the meat of our non-conference schedule...we'll find out where this team is...physical toughness wise, mental toughness wise...we've got three strong tests [coming up] against [Portland, Xavier and BYU]...life's about how you respond to adversity and tonight w faced a lot of adversity...I didn't do a very good job as a coach, I'll take the blame for this. Our guys obviously weren't ready to play."

"It was a very frustrating night for us offensively. We couldn't make free throws, the 3-ball wasn't going in, we were turning the ball over...there's gonna be nights like that, that's when you have to rely on your defense. Our rebounding was good enough tonight, our defense was not."

"We weren't mentally tough enough to win ugly tonight. We got our heads down, they stayed down and we didn't have anybody who could pick us up and make a play."

On George King: "George is struggling right now." King finished with five points, seven rebounds.

"I didn't think we took a lot of bad shots, they were good looks but we didn't make them."

Finally, Tad on if there were any positives to take away from tonight's game: "No positives. Zero. Absolutely zero positives, other than our crowd."

The crowd wasn't awful. The students showed up and made noise. Could the rest of us have been better, sure. But when the fans tried, the team screwed it up every time. This is the 5th poor effort out of the 7 games, that consistent lack of effort for long stretches has me questioning everything about this team and after 1/4th of the season, I am ready to admit I was very wrong to drink as much kool-aid as I did. On a side note, CU has faced two teams with winning records this year, both kicked them in the teeth. (Don't talk to me about Texas, they are 3-3 and lost to UT Arlington after CU beat them). There is a very real chance that by a week from Saturday night we are talking about a team that has lost four in a row. After all Portland has a really good and really quick guard that will play at the next level, Xavier is Xavier and playing at BYU is always tough, more so because it is such a late start.

Honestly, that crowd looked and sounded good. But Coors seats 11,064. There were 8715 there tonight. Good, not great for the first game vs. CSU this year. Remember how wacky Colorado's 88-77 win in FoCo last year was? I really thought more students would show tonight. Sitting in the press area was right near CSU's clown ass fan section. I was grinding my teeth knowing I had to hear those goobers all night. This game = last wake up call this team should need. Tad's right, his team is overrated. The Buffs shot 35% overall and 16% from deep in the W vs. Seattle. But then the team was great overall in shooting in the loss vs. Notre Dame. Then they shot 56% from the floor against Wofford. Nights like this make me ask where that team is? The one that makes baskets and is effective as a floor unit. Go ahead and say it's a fluke. Well, that means that already this year, two flukes have happened...in the month of November. Are we due for two every month? When will these flaws reappear again? Against Xavier next Wednesday? Maybe against Utah on the first of the new year...this team is not above being stripped down and exposed for what they are, and this loss at home to CSU is exactly that. The Buffaloes are experienced and do not lack talent. But consistency has been an issue. This is not a team that can afford to pile up non-conference losses.

Practice tomorrow for them is going to be hell.

So many issues where do you start? Really has that 2014 feeling you can tell Tad doesn't know how to fix it. Running offense through post to two guys that can't shoot. No guard that can break down a defense and either score, get fouled, or dish. Bad turnovers, lack of chemistry, lack of leadership. In past years either Jelly or the Mayor could will the team to overcome adversity in games like that more times than not. If the outside shooting isn't there we are going to struggle big time. Why can't Wes dunk the basketball? I like Brown and Peters games but tough to rely much on freshmen and they are going to defer to so many seniors. Ultimately, despite so many problems they could have still beaten a sub par CSU team if they made free throws.

So many issues where do you start? Really has that 2014 feeling you can tell Tad doesn't know how to fix it. Running offense through post to two guys that can't shoot. No guard that can break down a defense and either score, get fouled, or dish. Bad turnovers, lack of chemistry, lack of leadership. In past years either Jelly or the Mayor could will the team to overcome adversity in games like that more times than not. If the outside shooting isn't there we are going to struggle big time. Why can't Wes dunk the basketball? I like Brown and Peters games but tough to rely much on freshmen and they are going to defer to so many seniors. Ultimately, despite so many problems they could have still beaten a sub par CSU team if they made free throws.
It is clear they have problems, but getting to the line doesn't appear to be one of them.
Last night, they went to the line 31 times and are averaging 25 FTA per game. The last 3 years, they have averaged between 22.4 and 25.8 FTA per game.

Besides the students, I was really disappointed in the crowd. It felt like half full which I think is awful considering the opponent.

I guess people were smart to stay home. 55 fouls was an abomination, who wants to watch that?

I didn't want to comment too much about this last night after getting home from the game, but now that I have had half a nights rest to sleep on it and think about it, I will just put it out there. Tad was being brutally honest when he said that this team was over rated. Even after being picked fifth in the PAC12 he was being honest. It isn't due to lack of talent, it is all due to lack of focus and preparation. After some of the earlier games where CU managed to hang on and beat really poor teams while showing zero effort, I figured that perhaps they would do better when they knew they would be challenged. Well last night showed differently. Sure they came out in zero effort mode again until about 14 minutes left in the second half. Then, they tried, they actually fought and played hard until about three minutes were left in the game, when they just stopped doing anything.
What happened when they tried hard was extremely telling. The effort didn't turn into good defense or good offense. Instead it turned into bad fouls and poor decisions and what that should tell us all is that this team has been giving zero effort during practice this season or during the off season. Everything about this team screams 2014-15. Plenty of talent but lacking any heart...because, after all, it takes heart to put the kind of effort in during the off season and in practice that is required to win come game night.
With that being said, I've decided the team needs some new nicknames until they start to play better.
First GMFK now needs to be referred to as 'The player formerly known as GMFK.' He has completely reverted to the form he had his red shirt year when he didn't play...ok ok not quite, after all he seems determined to lead NCAA basketball in charge calls against him.
W. Gordon Hard to pick between two nicknames here. Mr Meeks for obvious reasons or 'Permashadow' for his innate ability to hide in any shadow that might exist anywhere (Yes it turns out it wasn't Scott's shadow he was hiding in after all). I am going with Permashadow.
Fortune - Clearly needs to be known as WTT (Walking Talking Turnover), after all, even though he doesn't have the ball a ton, he sure finds a way to be near the tops in turnovers per game.
Akyazili - The Psychotic broken pinball machine for his ability to run around really fast bouncing off everyone and do nothing productive at all, plus his ability to clank rim on his shots making an amazingly loud ping noise in the gym.
T. Miller - Dancing Lead Shoe Miller has this cool talent where he is able to move his feet and spin and perform fast post moves on offense but isn't able to pick up his feet on defense at all, leading to him to 'hack a Shaq' every opposing player. (The CSU game is unfair because he was injured, but he has been doing this since freshman year and it continued against teams prior to CSU this year).
XJ - Really XJ should be referred to as the Magician. Great name right??? Oh and I bet you thought it was positive!! Nope, XJ is the magician for his knack of completely disappearing at times, then magically reappearing and either making a great play or a bone headed one.
Lucas Siewert has already earned a nickname too. His should be 'I hate paint.' After all, the guy is 6'10" but loves to just stand around the three point line and when he goes into the paint and actually gets the ball he is so petrified it is clear he hasn't a clue what to do. It is like he is screaming for help while two feet from the basket.
D Brown. Not quite sure what his should be because he shows a lot of promise. Dude has serious quicks...in fact he is so quick that he will take himself three or four feet out of position if an offensive player gives him a simple fake. Perhaps that means he should be called Quifak (short for quick fake). Plus it sounds all trendy.
B. Peters Like Brown I am not so sure Peters has earned himself a bad nickname. After all Tad has been subbing him in late during games and subbing him in when Tad doesn't think a more experienced player can or will guard someone on the opposing team. That being said, he doesn't like to help other defenders and will avoid stepping out on picks or switching if he can at all help it. Its almost like his D is all about himself. So he has garnered MeeDee.
D. White Clearly White has been the best player on the team so far this year. It really isn't even close. That being said, he also should be kind of a swing guard and instead he is playing point full time. Which leads to these moments where it is like he is saying, see I can play D1 basketball, YES I can....OOOPS, turnover or 2 foot airball.... So D white gets Yeoops..
Last but not least is coach Boyle. This is his second team in three years that has played exactly like this. Genius that Tad is, I think he has created a new form of man to man defense called the Ole and a new form of hustle called the shuffle and this great offense that lacks spacing and ball movement so its like everyone is stuck together in mud. So Tad is OleShuffleMud. In all honesty, while the players are the ones on the court it is the coaches responsibility to not allow this kind of stuff to happen and Tads one big failure at CU is that the play on the court isn't changing. It is a solid trend.

Don't be surprised if OleShuffleMud has a new set of starters after the next three games. I fully expect the starting five by January will be the ultimate in small ball:
MeeDee at PG
Quifak at SG
Yeoops at SG2
The Magician at SF
Dancing Lead Shoes at C (Quickly replaced after fouling out by Permashadow)

Last edited:
Open Mike at Comedy Works in full effect.
Good ones I admit but team still has games left. Coping mechanism after a humiliating loss. Grief is good let it out. Hopefully all this negative energy doesn't transfer to football team tomorrow

Tad is being charitable. The crowd sucked too.

Were you there? It filled in late for the general crowd but the building was full and the students brought it there was just nothing to get behind. I am actually surprised @Justin M Guerriero 's quoted number of 8715 i would have though more based on how full it was by the second half of the first.

Open Mike at Comedy Works in full effect.
Good ones I admit but team still has games left. Coping mechanism after a humiliating loss. Grief is good let it out. Hopefully all this negative energy doesn't transfer to football team tomorrow
I know, I know, perhaps over the top, but this isn't a coping mechanism about the CSU game, this is a coping mechanism about what I have seen on the floor this year. I saw the same things against Seattle, Louisiana Monroe, Wofford and the first half of Notre Dame. The bad nicknames have definitely been earned now that we are at the quarter point of the season. Going to be a long struggle filled basketball season with perhaps a surprise upset win or two just because there is a lot of talent on the floor. If this team continues to exhibit the half effort style of play they are more likely to be in the bottom group of four int he PAC than to be .500 in the conference. The effort really is that ugly.

I didn't want to comment too much about this last night after getting home from the game, but now that I have had half a nights rest to sleep on it and think about it, I will just put it out there. Tad was being brutally honest when he said that this team was over rated. Even after being picked fifth in the PAC12 he was being honest. It isn't due to lack of talent, it is all due to lack of focus and preparation. After some of the earlier games where CU managed to hang on and beat really poor teams while showing zero effort, I figured that perhaps they would do better when they knew they would be challenged. Well last night showed differently. Sure they came out in zero effort mode again until about 14 minutes left in the second half. Then, they tried, they actually fought and played hard until about three minutes were left in the game, when they just stopped doing anything.
What happened when they tried hard was extremely telling. The effort didn't turn into good defense or good offense. Instead it turned into bad fouls and poor decisions and what that should tell us all is that this team has been giving zero effort during practice this season or during the off season. Everything about this team screams 2014-15. Plenty of talent but lacking any heart...because, after all, it takes heart to put the kind of effort in during the off season and in practice that is required to win come game night.
With that being said, I've decided the team needs some new nicknames until they start to play better.
First GMFK now needs to be referred to as 'The player formerly known as GMFK.' He has completely reverted to the form he had his red shirt year when he didn't play...ok ok not quite, after all he seems determined to lead NCAA basketball in charge calls against him.
W. Gordon Hard to pick between two nicknames here. Mr Meeks for obvious reasons or 'Permashadow' for his innate ability to hide in any shadow that might exist anywhere (Yes it turns out it wasn't Scott's shadow he was hiding in after all). I am going with Permashadow.
Fortune - Clearly needs to be known as WTT (Walking Talking Turnover), after all, even though he doesn't have the ball a ton, he sure finds a way to be near the tops in turnovers per game.
Akyazili - The Psychotic broken pinball machine for his ability to run around really fast bouncing off everyone and do nothing productive at all, plus his ability to clank rim on his shots making an amazingly loud ping noise in the gym.
T. Miller - Dancing Lead Shoe Miller has this cool talent where he is able to move his feet and spin and perform fast post moves on offense but isn't able to pick up his feet on defense at all, leading to him to 'hack a Shaq' every opposing player. (The CSU game is unfair because he was injured, but he has been doing this since freshman year and it continued against teams prior to CSU this year).
XJ - Really XJ should be referred to as the Magician. Great name right??? Oh and I bet you thought it was positive!! Nope, XJ is the magician for his knack of completely disappearing at times, then magically reappearing and either making a great play or a bone headed one.
Lucas Siewert has already earned a nickname too. His should be 'I hate paint.' After all, the guy is 6'10" but loves to just stand around the three point line and when he goes into the paint and actually gets the ball he is so petrified it is clear he hasn't a clue what to do. It is like he is screaming for help while two feet from the basket.
D Brown. Not quite sure what his should be because he shows a lot of promise. Dude has serious quicks...in fact he is so quick that he will take himself three or four feet out of position if an offensive player gives him a simple fake. Perhaps that means he should be called Quifak (short for quick fake). Plus it sounds all trendy.
B. Peters Like Brown I am not so sure Peters has earned himself a bad nickname. After all Tad has been subbing him in late during games and subbing him in when Tad doesn't think a more experienced player can or will guard someone on the opposing team. That being said, he doesn't like to help other defenders and will avoid stepping out on picks or switching if he can at all help it. Its almost like his D is all about himself. So he has garnered MeeDee.
D. White Clearly White has been the best player on the team so far this year. It really isn't even close. That being said, he also should be kind of a swing guard and instead he is playing point full time. Which leads to these moments where it is like he is saying, see I can play D1 basketball, YES I can....OOOPS, turnover or 2 foot airball.... So D white gets Yeoops..
Last but not least is coach Boyle. This is his second team in three years that has played exactly like this. Genius that Tad is, I think he has created a new form of man to man defense called the Ole and a new form of hustle called the shuffle and this great offense that lacks spacing and ball movement so its like everyone is stuck together in mud. So Tad is OleShuffleMud. In all honesty, while the players are the ones on the court it is the coaches responsibility to not allow this kind of stuff to happen and Tads one big failure at CU is that the play on the court isn't changing. It is a solid trend.

Don't be surprised if OleShuffleMud has a new set of starters after the next three games. I fully expect the starting five by January will be the ultimate in small ball:
MeeDee at PG
Quifak at SG
Yeoops at SG2
The Magician at SF
Dancing Lead Shoes at C (Quickly replaced after fouling out by Permashadow)
Lol @ Psychotic Broken Pinball Machine...strangely fitting. Wouldn't be opposed to referring to Yaz as PBPM from here on out

I think the crowd was definitive proof that our fanbase has a football-first mindset.

I can't say I'm immune to that, I didn't even remember that the game was yesterday, I've been so caught up in thinking about Friday.

Sucks, but it is what it is.

Were you there? It filled in late for the general crowd but the building was full and the students brought it there was just nothing to get behind. I am actually surprised @Justin M Guerriero 's quoted number of 8715 i would have though more based on how full it was by the second half of the first.

The building was full? That is pretty far from the truth. I was in row 10 and there were 4 of us total in our row in the section we were in. The GA section or whatever it is across from the student section was empty.

The building was full? That is pretty far from the truth. I was in row 10 and there were 4 of us total in our row in the section we were in. The GA section or whatever it is across from the student section was empty.

The athletic department got greedy and decided to jack up prices for the CSU game. $30 for GA is way too much. 300% increase from a few years ago. Ticket prices for Xavier are also higher than other non conference games. Doubt we see a full building for Xavier. If they want a full KEG, go back to the days of $10 GA tickets.

The athletic department got greedy and decided to jack up prices for the CSU game. $30 for GA is way too much. 300% increase from a few years ago. Ticket prices for Xavier are also higher than other non conference games. Doubt we see a full building for Xavier. If they want a full KEG, go back to the days of $10 GA tickets.
Actually, they are offering 15 dollar tickets to Xavier. got the email earlier this week, but lets face reality here. The fans follow the team. If the players play with effort and intensity, then fans will get excited and support them even if they lose now and then. If players play with no effort and energy the crowd has none too. If a player wants to be loved and adored and have fans going crazy for him then his play should reflect that with his effort.

Last edited:
I was there. Section 18. The sections on either side of me were maybe half full, and the GA was nowhere close to full. That game should be a sellout, and people should be there for the tip. Students did their part.

The thing that I noticed, and granted I was at Sunday's game vs. watching last night on TV, is that the team's mindset didn't seem to be any different for either game. Same energy, same effort level. The difference? CSU wasn't a D2 team.

We're gonna get boat raced out of the PAC12 if someone doesn't step up and take charge of that group. I thought there would be a large leadership drop off when Josh left, I just didn't know it could go this far. Is it possible to have negative leadership?

Wow. I definitely got into basketball while the football team was down, but honestly didn't pay much attention last night except checking the final and just kind of shaking my head and moving on to the next juicy online information about the football team. We are definitely a football first school.

Akyazili - The Psychotic broken pinball machine

Perfect nickname after that clunker off the backboard. I don't think I've ever seen a turnover that entertaining before. TILT!!!

Back