What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Eric Bien(i)emy's next job speculation, shut out again

On one of the games yesterday, they pointed out all the head coaches from the Andy Reid coaching tree. I can’t believe prospective employers are truly of the belief that what’s happening in Kansas City is all the result of Reid and Mahomes.
There’s something weird happening here. The OC for the defending Super Bowl champions and favorite to win this year should have his choice of HC jobs.

Does EB see the big picture to organize and lead a team?

Does he command respect and display gravitas to do so?

it’s now likely time for him to take a college job in best hopes to get back to the League as a HC. Dangerous, but maybe only path.

I think he needs a new agent, and a brutally honest one.

Bieniemy has interviewed for 13 jobs the last 3 cycles. While I don’t discount the element of racism in NFL hiring practices, the odds of 13 teams going in another direction solely because of his race seems highly unlikely - there is something else these teams just don’t like about him as a candidate.
13 interviews in three years. He for sure has something that GM,s are reading as a BIG red flag.

13 interviews in three years. He for sure has something that GM,s are reading as a BIG red flag.
It’s an interesting perspective on the topic. A seemingly qualified candidate repeatedly gets passed over for career advancement, and the conclusion is this cannot represent a flaw with the system, but rather a major (though unidentifiable) glaring flaw in the candidate. Not saying you’re wrong, but that is an interesting way of looking at it.

It’s an interesting perspective on the topic. A seemingly qualified candidate repeatedly gets passed over for career advancement, and the conclusion is this cannot represent a flaw with the system, but rather a major (though unidentifiable) glaring flaw in the candidate. Not saying you’re wrong, but that is an interesting way of looking at it.
Because without knowing how those interviews go, all we can assume from the outside is that either:

1) At least a third of NFL owners/GMs are racist and have decided they would rather hire a less qualified candidate than an African American, or
2) At least a third of NFL owners/GMs have determined after interviewing him that he’s not HC material or at the very least a bad fit for their organization.

The more interviews he has the more I’m inclined to think #2 is a bigger factor. There probably also some group think at play here - if you’re the 13th team interviewing him, even if you really like him you have to wonder what the other 12 saw in him that maybe you don’t.

Because without knowing how those interviews go, all we can assume from the outside is that either:

1) At least a third of NFL owners/GMs are racist and have decided they would rather hire a less qualified candidate than an African American, or
2) At least a third of NFL owners/GMs have determined after interviewing him that he’s not HC material or at the very least a bad fit for their organization.

The more interviews he has the more I’m inclined to think #2 is a bigger factor. There probably also some group think at play here - if you’re the 13th team interviewing him, even if you really like him you have to wonder what the other 12 saw in him that maybe you don’t.

1) and 2) can be true at the same time also. They're not mutually exclusive.

I agree but as bad as the NFL has been hiring minority coaches I have a hard time believing there are 13 organizations who refuse to hire a black man as HC.

Oh, definitely not. And I for myself can totally understand if you have some doubts about EB's ability to lead your team based on his resume, but his skin color doesn't help his chances.

I think it's harder for them to pull the trigger on an AA candidate. To be comfortable with one, he usually has to be soft spoken and/or religious and/or have an elite university background.

Hard to hire the qualified AA candidate who is outspoken or brash.

I agree but as bad as the NFL has been hiring minority coaches I have a hard time believing there are 13 organizations who refuse to hire a black man as HC.
Kind of circular reasoning there, though. Because we recognize the NFL has an issue, we refuse to believe that might be an issue here?

So why don’t they do it?
I’m sure it’s partially a function of black coaches not getting enough opportunities in college or as NFL coordinators where the bulk of HCs come from.

There are 2 black offensive coordinators in the NFL (Bieniemy and Leftwich), and I think I read there are 10 black defensive coordinators. So of the 64 coordinators in the NFL, 12 are black. That’s not enough.

You are a true idiot. The league has a racism problem in coach hiring.
Why EB specifically hasn't been hired is something that we don't know.

The numbers though make things very clear.

The players in the league are overwhelmingly Black, current figure found stated 67%, and this has been the case for decades.

These are men who live and breath the game, learn it inside and out. Their desire to stay connected to the game is reflected in the number of Black high school coaches nationwide including a surprising number of ex NFL players.

Yet we see about 10% of all NFL assistants are Black and only three Black men had head coaching jobs in the league last year, a reduction from early years.

This despite Black coaches proving that they can do the job. Tony Dungy and Mike Tomlin have rings and other Black coaches have gotten their teams to the game.

When you look at the numbers over the time period it is very hard to come to any other conclusion than to say that Black coaches aren't getting the same opportunity as white coaches.

And while the numbers are slightly different the same trends hold for FBS college football.

Why EB specifically hasn't been hired is something that we don't know.

The numbers though make things very clear.

The players in the league are overwhelmingly Black, current figure found stated 67%, and this has been the case for decades.

These are men who live and breath the game, learn it inside and out. Their desire to stay connected to the game is reflected in the number of Black high school coaches nationwide including a surprising number of ex NFL players.

Yet we see about 10% of all NFL assistants are Black and only three Black men had head coaching jobs in the league last year, a reduction from early years.

This despite Black coaches proving that they can do the job. Tony Dungy and Mike Tomlin have rings and other Black coaches have gotten their teams to the game.

When you look at the numbers over the time period it is very hard to come to any other conclusion than to say that Black coaches aren't getting the same opportunity as white coaches.

And while the numbers are slightly different the same trends hold for FBS college football.
MTN style agreement. 👍🏾

EB overlapped with the Broncos new GM in Minnesota. I'd be good with EB coming home again after Fangio loses double-digits next year.
This year would be even better. I don’t get why Fangio gets a third year when Vance was out after two. Is it just the strangeness of the COVID year? Hmmm. Fangio actually had a potential future QB. Vance had... who? The team sucked exactly the same. Fangio is an old coach, so how does that mean he’s going to suddenly get better. Vance was young and new, he was bound to improve and grow. Nope. Young guy out. Old guy stays. (And yes, it does raise the racial issue.).

All the post-game talk giving Reid the credit for the play call and slobbering on how "Big Red" doesn't leave it to the players, he does it with his scheme & calls.

No mention of EB.
Just came here to post this. Nobody gives EB any credit. Not sure he deserves any but there is not one analyst talking about him and all are talking about how Andy Reid called it.

To be fair, when Reid was the head coach for the Eagles, did people ever really hear about offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg?

Reid was always thought of as the offensive mastermind for the teams he has coached (right or wrong).

Just came here to post this. Nobody gives EB any credit. Not sure he deserves any but there is not one analyst talking about him and all are talking about how Andy Reid called it.
There was a close up of EB after game plus a comment from Nantz.

Reid assuredly made the call to go for it. Play was identical to 4/1 4Q vs Miami. Had to be on play sheet as #1 option for special situations.

This year would be even better. I don’t get why Fangio gets a third year when Vance was out after two. Is it just the strangeness of the COVID year? Hmmm. Fangio actually had a potential future QB. Vance had... who? The team sucked exactly the same. Fangio is an old coach, so how does that mean he’s going to suddenly get better. Vance was young and new, he was bound to improve and grow. Nope. Young guy out. Old guy stays. (And yes, it does raise the racial issue.).

Fangio gets a third season because the players didn’t quit on him (like they did on Joseph) and because of the ownership situation and the uncertainty surrounding the franchise because of it. I was surprised they got a good GM candidate but they had to pay for it by giving him final say on the roster and a six year deal. Fangio is gone after this season and I hope they look at the college ranks.

Fangio gets a third season because the players didn’t quit on him (like they did on Joseph) and because of the ownership situation and the uncertainty surrounding the franchise because of it. I was surprised they got a good GM candidate but they had to pay for it by giving him final say on the roster and a six year deal. Fangio is gone after this season and I hope they look at the college ranks.
Would make sense that part of the hiring of the GM was that after next season he would be able to make or at least influence the decision on the head coach.

Part of Joseph not getting a third year in addition to your correct comment about the players quitting was that he was much younger and I don't think had a particularly good relationship with Elway.

Another part is that at the time Elway still seemed to be under the delusion that the Broncos were only a couple players away from being a serious contender.

Now they seem to have finally admitted that this team needs a build job, not just a couple "fixes."

Would make sense that part of the hiring of the GM was that after next season he would be able to make or at least influence the decision on the head coach.

Part of Joseph not getting a third year in addition to your correct comment about the players quitting was that he was much younger and I don't think had a particularly good relationship with Elway.

Another part is that at the time Elway still seemed to be under the delusion that the Broncos were only a couple players away from being a serious contender.

Now they seem to have finally admitted that this team needs a build job, not just a couple "fixes."

Elway is gone after this season and if Paton can decide to move on from Lock I think he could also fire Fangio if he wanted.

There was a close up of EB after game plus a comment from Nantz.

Reid assuredly made the call to go for it. Play was identical to 4/1 4Q vs Miami. Had to be on play sheet as #1 option for special situations.
In the post game there was all kinds of talk about Reid and his game plan and play calls. And he may deserve it all, I do not know. But the post game never mentioned EB as the guy making calls for Henne or any other part of the game. Just saying he is not getting much credit for anything that happens with the KC offense.

In the post game there was all kinds of talk about Reid and his game plan and play calls. And he may deserve it all, I do not know. But the post game never mentioned EB as the guy making calls for Henne or any other part of the game. Just saying he is not getting much credit for anything that happens with the KC offense.
If so, he should move on to another team as the pure OC and show folks what he can or cannot do. Reid is Santa Claus, and there is only one Santa with one big red bag of tricks, so time to move on.

Back