What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Eric Bien(i)emy's next job speculation, shut out again

I can see why EB would want a big say in the roster with the limitations that Houston now has. He has his QB, but it will take some major wheeling and dealing to get that roster competitive.

Ummmm great take, I guess. Hopefully EB gets the Texans job. But it will be very interesting to see this thread if EB does not get that job, and if the Texans hire a black head coach.
It's not about EB for me, actually. Based on some of the coaches we're seeing hired, any AA coach should be a candidate if he's been part of an innovative system or dominant unit. But we don't see that.

I don't get how the people able to play the game at this level for decades have been mostly AA men, but that hasn't translated into coaching and football-related executive opportunities.

If we go with 12% AA as the US population number, it gets even more crazy with the NFL.

35% of NFL assistants are black. That's half the % as players (70%), but still about 3x the population so it seems pretty good even if a bit on the low end of what would pass the sniff test for fair/good. We have to acknowledge that not all NFL coaches and executives played in the NFL if we want to be honest here.

But after assistants, we get to the next numbers:

Out of 32 teams:

3 HCs, 3GMs, 3 DCs (9.4%)
2 OCs (6.3%)
1 President (3.1%)

In a highly competitive profession where the qualified workers have been mostly AA for decades, the people considered best qualified to manage those workers under-represent the entire US population of AAs.

How can I explain this other than racism?

It's not about EB for me, actually. Based on some of the coaches we're seeing hired, any AA coach should be a candidate if he's been part of an innovative system or dominant unit. But we don't see that.

I don't get how the people able to play the game at this level for decades have been mostly AA men, but that hasn't translated into coaching and football-related executive opportunities.

If we go with 12% AA as the US population number, it gets even more crazy with the NFL.

35% of NFL assistants are black. That's half the % as players (70%), but still about 3x the population so it seems pretty good even if a bit on the low end of what would pass the sniff test for fair/good. We have to acknowledge that not all NFL coaches and executives played in the NFL if we want to be honest here.

But after assistants, we get to the next numbers:

Out of 32 teams:

3 HCs, 3GMs, 3 DCs (9.4%)
2 OCs (6.3%)
1 President (3.1%)

In a highly competitive profession where the qualified workers have been mostly AA for decades, the people considered best qualified to manage those workers under-represent the entire US population of AAs.

How can I explain this other than racism?
You are arguing with a guy who thinks the coordinator of the year is lucky to have a coaching job.

You are arguing with a guy who thinks the coordinator of the year is lucky to have a coaching job.
I know. It's almost pointless. When I went to the NBC Sports article on this to get percentages I made the mistake of reading the comments. Maybe half of what I read was people blasting the author because they think that this issue is the same as if the NFL instituted policies to make sure teams hired more white cornerbacks.

EB vs Frazier reportedly for Texan’s job. EB will have to articulate HC plan/vision for team. Frazier will.

Watson’s desire to get out remains no matter who next coach is reportedly. Bridges burned. Could this affect EB’s decision.

I’d ask one question:

Tell me your plan for Tua or Fields, which one you want and why.

EB vs Frazier reportedly for Texan’s job. EB will have to articulate HC plan/vision for team. Frazier will.

Watson’s desire to get out remains no matter who next coach is reportedly. Bridges burned. Could this affect EB’s decision.

I’d ask one question:

Tell me your plan for Tua or Fields, which one you want and why.
I continue to want EB to get the opportunity that he has earned. But I think the Houston job is one that is too far gone. I think that whoever gets it, will struggle to have any success because the organization is one of the most dysfunctional in all of football.

I continue to want EB to get the opportunity that he has earned. But I think the Houston job is one that is too far gone. I think that whoever gets it, will struggle to have any success because the organization is one of the most dysfunctional in all of football.
I think they should wipe the slate clean, get as much as they can for Watson and start over.

I feel bad for EB in the sense that his hiring has become a circus. He’s bordering on being viewed as a symbol rather than a good coach. He is now set up for pedestal/failure. 🤮

With the Houston job, you've got your QB. Most head coaching failures are due to QB - having or drafting a ****ty one, sometimes having a great one and not being able to get along with him.

Yes, Houston has ownership problems and major issues inherited from awful roster management. But the most important part of having success is teed up perfectly for EB.

With the Houston job, you've got your QB. Most head coaching failures are due to QB - having or drafting a ****ty one, sometimes having a great one and not being able to get along with him.

Yes, Houston has ownership problems and major issues inherited from awful roster management. But the most important part of having success is teed up perfectly for EB.
Is it though? That QB wants out of Houston.

Except that whoever gets the job, might not have Watson. Reports are that bridges have been burned and he wants out.

He reportedly wants out regardless

Dang. That situation seems to keep degrading.

I believe that with the right HC hire it will turn around, but I have no way of knowing if it's become one of those things where he literally hates the owner at this point. If it's that, it may not be salvageable.

I believe that with the right HC hire it will turn around, but I have no way of knowing if it's become one of those things where he literally hates the owner at this point. If it's that, it may not be salvageable.
It’s crazy to think a guy trying to escape a dysfunctional franchise would rather play for the Jets.

I don't think there is any fixing it with Watson in Houston. I don't know why he'd consider the Jets though, they are just as ****ed up. We'll give up Lock and some picks. Make it happen damnit. :D The Saleh point is true though.

Guys in the NFL really love Saleh.
For sure, but it says a lot about Houston that someone would rather play for a Jets franchise that had been the picture of dysfunction for a decade. It has to also be pretty rare for a star QB to want to go play for a defensive minded HC in Saleh and a first time OC.

Also worth noting the 49ers promoted DeMeco Ryans to take over for Saleh so at least 1 more AA coordinator. He’ll be the youngest DC in the league.

It’s not the owner is it? It’s the Chaplin.

For sure, but it says a lot about Houston that someone would rather play for a Jets franchise that had been the picture of dysfunction for a decade. It has to also be pretty rare for a star QB to want to go play for a defensive minded HC in Saleh and a first time OC.
Houston has been broken for a long while. Deshaun is tired of getting killed.

Back