What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Eric Bien(i)emy's next job speculation, shut out again

I am willing to agree that VJ's lack of whiteness was not the only thing working against him, but I think that you are: A) overstating Fangio's resume, and B) trying to suggest that race was not an issue at all with VJ - just because it was not the only issue.

I won't even get into the fact that Joseph was set up to fail from the start, while Fangio was given carte blanche to make a much wider range of decisions. But hey, that record speaks for itself. I guess.
I acknowledged that I think there's probably some inherent and subconscious racial bias at work in many situations around NFL hiring practices. I'm just tired of that being the go-to excuse for the main reason why a black coach was fired or passed over for a job, particularly when there are many other reasons to point to.

Kliff Kingsbury, Matt Rhule, Matt Nagy, Zac Taylor, Kevin Stefanski, Matt Lafleur, Joe Judge, and Mike Vrabel disagree with you.

There are more head coaches named “Matt” than black head coaches in the NFL.
Zac Taylor was a stunning and stupid hire!
Especially since he is a Husker

I’m sure there are plenty of talented assistants wondering how the f**k Kliff Kingsbury got an NFL head coaching job.
However, Kliff was a college coach, so management of an organization was present.

EB may likely need to go and coach College to get that under his belt.

However, Kliff was a college coach, so management of an organization was present.

EB may likely need to go and coach College to get that under his belt.

Chicago Bulls What GIF by NBA

I acknowledged that I think there's probably some inherent and subconscious racial bias at work in many situations around NFL hiring practices. I'm just tired of that being the go-to excuse for the main reason why a black coach was fired or passed over for a job, particularly when there are many other reasons to point to.
I think it is fair to point out that there are always "other reasons to point to." A guy could be straight up fired because the owner is tired of having that n***** run his team, and at least publicly and in the media there would still be "other reasons to point to."

I think it is fair to point out that there are always "other reasons to point to." A guy could be straight up fired because the owner is tired of having that n***** run his team, and at least publicly and in the media there would still be "other reasons to point to."
This is acknowledging that the hypothetical owner hired the black coach in the first place.

Yeah but he stunk up the place as his alma mater. How that qualified him for an NFL job is a mystery to me.
He supposedly hated the recruiting aspect of college football. Obviously, as a head coach that can't work along with being successful in college. The Cardinals took a massive step forward this year, so his third year will be really telling as I thought he did a good job this year. He has the pieces to have a pretty good team next year and if it doesn't happen then the Cardinals probably move on.

He supposedly hated the recruiting aspect of college football. Obviously, as a head coach that can't work along with being successful in college. The Cardinals took a massive step forward this year, so his third year will be really telling as I thought he did a good job this year. He has the pieces to have a pretty good team next year and if it doesn't happen then the Cardinals probably move on.
They swept the awful NFC East plus a gimme with the Jets. Nice win over Buffalo. I’ll be curious what they do next year because Kyler Murray definitely improved and fleecing Bill O’Brien in a trade for Hopkins certainly helped but I’m not quite a Kingsbury believer yet and still wonder why anyone thought enough of his time at Tech to give him an NFL job.

They swept the awful NFC East plus a gimme with the Jets. Nice win over Buffalo. I’ll be curious what they do next year because Kyler Murray definitely improved and fleecing Bill O’Brien in a trade for Hopkins certainly helped but I’m not quite a Kingsbury believer yet and still wonder why anyone thought enough of his time at Tech to give him an NFL job.
HC/OC/QB coach for a top 5 scoring offense with Patrick Mahomes. Plus, everyone wanted to get their "Sean McVay"

HC/OC/QB coach for a top 5 scoring offense with Patrick Mahomes. Plus, everyone wanted to get their "Sean McVay"
He went 24-26 his first 4 years there with Davis Webb, Baker Mayfield, and Patrick Mahomes on the roster, and somehow he’s an NFL HC.

Scored a lot of points, though, which is what NFL teams are after.
I guess but he was also unemployed at the time - would think he would jump at even an OC gig at that point, why HC where in his only previous opportunity he wasn’t good? He feasted on crappy non-conference schedules, I think they beat 3 ranked teams in 6 seasons.

Pays to be associated with nice offenses I guess (unless you’re EB).

I guess but he was also unemployed at the time - would think he would jump at even an OC gig at that point, why HC where in his only previous opportunity he wasn’t good? He feasted on crappy non-conference schedules, I think they beat 3 ranked teams in 6 seasons.

Pays to be associated with nice offenses I guess (unless you’re EB).
He wasn't unemployed, he was USC's OC.

I saw a Tweet yesterday talking about why NFL HCs are increasingly becoming guys with offensive backgrounds, and it basically said that it's about offensive continuity. Hire an offensive HC and the offensive philosophy, terminology, scheme, and playcalling will remain consistent for the hand picked QB, instead of a revolving door at OC and all new stuff from year to year.

Cards had the number one pick, Kyler Murray was available and just won the Heisman, Kingsbury had helped develop Mayfield, Webb and Mahomes. I'm not saying it was the best move, but I see the logic behind it.

He wasn't unemployed, he was USC's OC.

I saw a Tweet yesterday talking about why NFL HCs are increasingly becoming guys with offensive backgrounds, and it basically said that it's about offensive continuity. Hire an offensive HC and the offensive philosophy, terminology, scheme, and playcalling will remain consistent for the hand picked QB, instead of a revolving door at OC and all new stuff from year to year.

Cards had the number one pick, Kyler Murray was available and just won the Heisman, Kingsbury had helped develop Mayfield, Webb and Mahomes. I'm not saying it was the best move, but I see the logic behind it.
You are correct, he was the OC at USC for about 20 days before he resigned.

They may be proven right if that team takes off, I’ve just not seen anything in his history that tells me he’s NFL HC material, but who knows. I’m a 49er fan so I hope he stinks it up there for years.

You are correct, he was the OC at USC for about 20 days before he resigned.

They may be proven right if that team takes off, I’ve just not seen anything in his history that tells me he’s NFL HC material, but who knows. I’m a 49er fan so I hope he stinks it up there for years.
He deserves another year. In 2018, the Cards were dead last in scoring offense at 14.1 ppg. Kingsbury took over, drafted Murray, and in 2019, they ranked 16th at 22.6 ppg. This year, they moved up to 13th at 25.6 ppg. Their defense even improved dramatically from 2019 to 2020.

2021 is a big year for him and Murray both going into year three together. Kind of think it's playoffs or bust for them, although depending on how everything shakes out, I could see KK coming back for a 4th season if they miss out.

NFC West probably the toughest division in football.

He went 24-26 his first 4 years there with Davis Webb, Baker Mayfield, and Patrick Mahomes on the roster, and somehow he’s an NFL HC.
He also recruited those players so needs credit for that when all three were never highly regarded QB's coming out of HS.

I can see why an NFL team would want to take a chance on a Kingsbury with that type of background because as we know, one superstar QB can completely turn around an NFL teams fortunes. The NFL is also so much weighted towards a high power offense now that it makes sense why he would get a gig at that level.

I will say this, I absolutely hate Bieniemy’s Wikipedia page. The coaching snips are shorter than his “controversies”. It’s like he has an enemy that wrote up that bio. Someone needs to go fix that.

Back