What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Finally > Kliavkoff P12 gets it

Always BUFF

I post stupid ****
It was there all the time it just took the right mind to make it so.
There may be hope for the P12 after all.

Report on his media strategy dropped this afternoon:

For those of you who won't read it but want to come strong with a take, here are a few notes:
  • Conference, not media partners, will determine game times for teams. Willing to give up some money to get max exposure time slots for Heisman & CFP contenders.
  • His focus on the next deal is max distribution. Especially internet, where he wants Pac-12 content available everywhere.
  • Last Pac-12 media deal was 12 years, which he believes stuck the conference by trading growth leverage for security & it allowed others to make moves and pass the P12 while hands were tied. He wants the next deals to be 5-6 years.
  • His ideal schedule: 8 conference games + 1 vs ACC, 1 vs B1G & then 2 flex spots for non-con.

I have to think there have been talks among P12/B1G/ACC about the scheduling alliance. Part of that discussion would have to be expansion/realignment to have equal numbers of teams.

For those of you who won't read it but want to come strong with a take, here are a few notes:
  • Conference, not media partners, will determine game times for teams. Willing to give up some money to get max exposure time slots for Heisman & CFP contenders.
  • His focus on the next deal is max distribution. Especially internet, where he wants Pac-12 content available everywhere.
  • Last Pac-12 media deal was 12 years, which he believes stuck the conference by trading growth leverage for security & it allowed others to make moves and pass the P12 while hands were tied. He wants the next deals to be 5-6 years.
  • His ideal schedule: 8 conference games + 1 vs ACC, 1 vs B1G & then 2 flex spots for non-con.
On this last point - I really hope he can pull that off. Would be very good. As for alignment, who does the B1G drop to get to 12 teams?

I have to think there have been talks among P12/B1G/ACC about the scheduling alliance. Part of that discussion would have to be expansion/realignment to have equal numbers of teams.
not following the last part. a scheduling alliance could be worked out without the same number of teams. e.g. only the top 12 B1G and ACC teams from year N get a game against the Pac in year N+1, and the bottom dwellers have to schedule an FCS or DII game for that slot.

one thing we've learned over the last two years of Covid is that football schedules don't have to be set decades in advance.

I know a lot of message board posters keep coming back to the notion that the next round of realignment will drive toward the major conferences having the same number of members, but I haven't seen anything credible to suggest that's a motivation for any of the conferences.

not following the last part. a scheduling alliance could be worked out without the same number of teams. e.g. only the top 12 B1G and ACC teams from year N get a game against the Pac in year N+1, and the bottom dwellers have to schedule an FCS or DII game for that slot.

one thing we've learned over the last two years of Covid is that football schedules don't have to be set decades in advance.

I know a lot of message board posters keep coming back to the notion that the next round of realignment will drive toward the major conferences having the same number of members, but I haven't seen anything credible to suggest that's a motivation for any of the conferences.
I find it interesting that these 3 conferences have left out the Big 12. My suspicion is that there's a plan in the works to carve it up. Just my personal read of the tea leaves.

I find it interesting that these 3 conferences have left out the Big 12. My suspicion is that there's a plan in the works to carve it up. Just my personal read of the tea leaves.
The remaining schools in the Big 12 don’t move the needle much.

I take look at this differently (big surprise, I know). I think it would be weird to add teams to the conference while subtracting conference games.

The remaining schools in the Big 12 don’t move the needle much.

I take look at this differently (big surprise, I know). I think it would be weird to add teams to the conference while subtracting conference games.
I agree on scheduling. I hate the scheduling you get with 14 teams playing 8 conf games. So unbalanced & too long between road trips to other division schools. But 6 div/ 2 other div seems to have worked out ok for the SEC, so what do I know?

Anyway, if you go to 16 you really need to play 9. That doesn't fit Commish K's statement.

8 works so well with 12 teams. It's 5 vs everyone in your division, playing half the other division each year, and the fairness of everyone getting 4H/4A.

My guess: P12 expands via UH & TCU ahead of the 2024 media deal and we get the less than ideal 14/8 schedule.

On this last point - I really hope he can pull that off. Would be very good. As for alignment, who does the B1G drop to get to 12 teams?
We're at 12. They're both at 14 each. We're adding teams.

I'll believe things are changing when GK actually starts getting **** done. Going to take years to recover from Champagne Lawrence.

If Kliavkoff wants to add teams, he better get to it, because as that column points out, media negotiations are set to begin. Gotta know who your members are when you’re negotiating a new media deal.

If Kliavkoff wants to add teams, he better get to it, because as that column points out, media negotiations are set to begin. Gotta know who your members are when you’re negotiating a new media deal.
Agreed - whose left though? Boisie? Nevada/UNLV? New Mexico?

Houston. And my guess is that you could use the media negotiations as a way to establish the value for additional schools. Let the media companies tell you what the rates would be if you added certain schools. Might be the perfect time to be shopping.

If they want to keep the pairing system like they have now, it would almost certainly have to be two schools from Texas. Houston, Tech, Baylor, TCU. Take your pick. I see no discernible difference between any of them. Maybe exclude TCU and Baylor due to religious affiliations. Maybe throw OSU into the mix.

Wilner and others have been promoting U Houston as a perfect fit. I forget where I read it, but it sounded like the Pac-12 was close to offering UH with TCU. The idea is that adding the Houston & Dallas/Ft Worth metros and TX in general to the media and recruiting home footprint is pretty much the only move that increases the size of the pie enough to justify splitting it 14 ways instead of 12.

Wilner and others have been promoting U Houston as a perfect fit. I forget where I read it, but it sounded like the Pac-12 was close to offering UH with TCU. The idea is that adding the Houston & Dallas/Ft Worth metros and TX in general to the media and recruiting home footprint is pretty much the only move that increases the size of the pie enough to justify splitting it 14 ways instead of 12.
I’d still go SDSU in any scenario - I’m beating a dead horse at this point but the PAC needs to do whatever possible to keep all other P5 conferences out of the pacific time zone, but CA in particular.

I’d still go SDSU in any scenario - I’m beating a dead horse at this point but the PAC needs to do whatever possible to keep all other P5 conferences out of the pacific time zone, but CA in particular.
I'm not worried about SDSU. They wont help increase revenue in media negotiations. A bigger threat to the Pac is current members leaving

Houston. And my guess is that you could use the media negotiations as a way to establish the value for additional schools. Let the media companies tell you what the rates would be if you added certain schools. Might be the perfect time to be shopping.
Yeah take either TCU or SMU to pair with them.
No other P5 conference is going to add SDSU though.
Obviously. The Pac 12 is the only P5 league they fit geographically.

Finally read that article tonight. Larry Scott's legacy was defined by that 13 year media rights deal and that is what put him out of a job. Kliavkoff's legacy is going to be tied to how much money he manages to get into the conference's coffers. Remember Larry Scott appeared to be an impressive leader until the fiscal issues got ugly for the conference.

One wonderful news item is that we just have two more football seasons left of this media rights deal. But the next media rights deal is going to be critical for me as a Buffs fan. I want to be able to watch CU games on something like Youtube TV or ESPN+ instead of having to go through Comcast. Limiting the choices of platforms we could watch the Buffs was never going to turn out great one way or the other. What we need more than money is exposure. I remember when Big 8 football was on ESPN and there was no way that CU's portion of that ESPN $ pie would be enough to cover Bill McCartney's $1M+ contract back then.

Bottom line is money alone is not going to fix all of the conference's ills...what is going to fix the Pac-12 is a renewed commitment to college athletics by all 12 of the conference schools. Those presidents need to wake up and realize that it's not hard for people to recognize that the school isn't committed to college athletics and people can start openly questioning whether the school they want to attend is committed to anything of substance.

If Kliavkoff fails just like Larry Scott, it will become pretty obvious that the conference presidents are at fault in that case and that will not look good to prospective students. Back then I wanted to go to CU because CU was committed to football. If I was a prospective student from Colorado today, I don't think CU would be my top choice this time around because of the lack of commitment to athletics. It might be appalling to the non-Americans out there but hey that is America we are talking about.

This all seems pretty simple, and doesnt bode well for the future of west coast CFB.

We (PAC 12 fans and alumni) do not support our conference or teams in the same way that the SEC and B1G do. Why would anyone expect our conference to pull in even remotely close to the same amount of money or have similar on the field results?

CFB is getting more regional by the year and there simply isn’t the same fervor for it west of the Rockies. The Pac12 is dying a slow death, and surprisingly, it actually doesn’t bother me all that much.

Last edited:
This all seems pretty simple, and doesnt bode well for the future of west coast CFB.

We (PAC 12 fans and alumni) do not support our conference or teams in the same way that the SEC and B1G do. Why would anyone expect our conference to pull in even remotely close to the same amount of money or have similar on the field results?

CFB is getting more regional by the year and there simply isn’t the same fervor for it west of the Rockies. The Pac12 is dying a slow death, and surprisingly, it actually doesn’t bother me all that much.
I agree the Pac 12 will never have the overall fan support of the SEC and B1G, and therefore the media $$ won't get to the same level, but I think "dying a slow death" is off base. I think you underestimate what an elite USC program will do for the conference and the biggest media market in the country. Of course it's a big IF, but IF Riley can get them back to being a top 5 program year in, year out, they will elevate the conference in the same way Ohio State and Clemson have almost single handedly elevated the B1G and ACC. Add Oregon and Utah to the mix of potential perennial contenders, and I think the conference has upside in the future.

I agree the Pac 12 will never have the overall fan support of the SEC and B1G, and therefore the media $$ won't get to the same level, but I think "dying a slow death" is off base. I think you underestimate what an elite USC program will do for the conference and the biggest media market in the country. Of course it's a big IF, but IF Riley can get them back to being a top 5 program year in, year out, they will elevate the conference in the same way Ohio State and Clemson have almost single handedly elevated the B1G and ACC. Add Oregon and Utah to the mix of potential perennial contenders, and I think the conference has upside in the future.
But who in the Pac, including USC right now, has a rabid fan base? So even if USC is in the CFP next year, how will that grow more of a fan base for CU, or any of the other programs?

Fans in this conference are simply not as invested in CFB. It’s more of an afterthought.

I agree. When SC was a monster, everyone watched them and the Pac 10 (at the time) got a lot of attention.

i remember the coverage of SC on ESPN at the time was relentless, worse than what we see for the SEC sometimes.
I remember even though I liked SC, I was sick of seeing and hearing about them all the time.

Back