What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Fire Drew Wilson immediately

Trump's Eunuch

I'm 6'4" and "own a gym" (not in my basement)
He has been here 5 years and all except the first have been injury plagued. Dude clearly doesn't have what it takes. Too many have been non-contact which is a direct result of muscle imbalances/weakness in 90%+ cases. Video is scarce but technique looks good from the squat and clean videos I see. It is 100% obvious his routine is insufficient. I try to structure my post into something readable. Cliff notes: All these non-contact injuries are directly resulted from ****ty weight training program.

Section 3 can be skipped. It's just examples proving half of college strength coaches are **** and Wilson is no exception.

Section 1: Non contact ACL injuries due to improper quad hamstring strength ratio.

This has been known for decades. There is no better exercise for hamstring development than deadlifts. Squat and clean aren't substitutes, nothing is. There is nothing inherently dangerous about deadlifting either. It's one of the easiest lifts to teach and weight load should be based on the coaches program so going too heavy isn't an option.

Section 2: Wilson's routine sucks.

There is no reason to structure a weight training workout in waves like this. You either work up to a weight and stay there or work up then down. Whether it's the Chinese Soviets or Bulgarians, no one does this. He's trying to reinvent the wheel

Is it any wonder why Javier Edwards was the strongest dude in the weight room when he came in from juco or why, currently, Brendan Lewis is walking in from highschool?

Is it also any wonder why Landman and Pursell gained 20lbs in two years? That is atrocious for 18-22 year olds. The only explanation is garbage training routine.

If I'm being real, 525 is not good for the best squat on a D1 football team. Should be more like 600+.

Section 3: Most D1 strength coaches are complete garbage.

They fall for broscience crap, like "functional strength" and using hex bars to deadlift because they're "safer", and generally lack knowledge about training periodization to improve athletic performance. They think they can substitute "more safe" exercises in their place and get the same results. In reality, they are just sacrificing player health during the game for what is actually safe if monitored by a knowledgeable staff.

Every strength coach in these videos should've been fired on the spot:

The entire point of the deadlift is to target the posterior chain. Using a hex bar so you can lift with an "athletic" squat stance ... then just ****ing squat, it makes absolutely no difference whether the weight is on your back or the ground if the bio-mechanical movement is the same.

Crappy clean technique. This wasn't something unknown or revolutionary in 2008. Wilson is clearly not this bad as he teaches basic technique.

Viral Clemson bench video a few years ago. Clemson is good IN SPITE of this coach. Benching using tools designed to stimulate a bench shirt for equipped powerlifters in an effort to prevent shoulder injury is like squatting high to prevent knee injury. I'd bet this strength coach doesn't want his athletes to deadlift because they could hurt their back... but benching like this with weight they clearly can't handle is no problem.

My qualifications: BS in exercise science but I would be remiss if I said that would be the source of my knowledge. Most classes in school couldn't teach proper bench form let alone Alexey Medvedev's studies regarding the role of the relationship between intensity and volume in Soviet weightlifters. My powerlifting gym training with 2 world class athletes taught me more in three years than my university did in 4. When I say things like 525 is crap for a D1 football team's best or Landman and Purcell gaining 20lbs in two years is garbage, that's coming from experience.

you're advocating we replace the S&C coach. you hint at some good points with injury rate and development progress. this is a good discussion.

however, to make your case, i think you need to show some more data that:
1. CU has a higher rate of preventable injury over the last five years than their peers (other Pac12 football teams)
2. CU players develop less than their peers over their time in school

for #1, you offer no data or even anecdotes. for #2 you offer an assessment based on your experience, but no data.

I'm interested in further discussion here, but curious if the higher rate of injury you're suggesting is perception, or based on data.

He has been here 5 years and all except the first have been injury plagued. Dude clearly doesn't have what it takes. Too many have been non-contact which is a direct result of muscle imbalances/weakness in 90%+ cases. Video is scarce but technique looks good from the squat and clean videos I see. It is 100% obvious his routine is insufficient. I try to structure my post into something readable. Cliff notes: All these non-contact injuries are directly resulted from ****ty weight training program.

Section 3 can be skipped. It's just examples proving half of college strength coaches are **** and Wilson is no exception.

Section 1: Non contact ACL injuries due to improper quad hamstring strength ratio.

This has been known for decades. There is no better exercise for hamstring development than deadlifts. Squat and clean aren't substitutes, nothing is. There is nothing inherently dangerous about deadlifting either. It's one of the easiest lifts to teach and weight load should be based on the coaches program so going too heavy isn't an option.

There is no reason to structure a weight training workout in waves like this. You either work up to a weight and stay there or work up then down. Whether it's the Chinese Soviets or Bulgarians, no one does this. He's trying to reinvent the wheel

Is it any wonder why Javier Edwards was the strongest dude in the weight room when he came in from juco or why, currently, Brendan Lewis is walking in from highschool?

Is it also any wonder why Landman and Pursell gained 20lbs in two years? That is atrocious for 18-22 year olds. The only explanation is garbage training routine.

If I'm being real, 525 is not good for the best squat on a D1 football team. Should be more like 600+.

They fall for broscience crap, like "functional strength" and using hex bars to deadlift because they're "safer", and generally lack knowledge about training periodization to improve athletic performance. They think they can substitute "more safe" exercises in their place and get the same results. In reality, they are just sacrificing player health during the game for what is actually safe if monitored by a knowledgeable staff.

The entire point of the deadlift is to target the posterior chain. Using a hex bar so you can lift with an "athletic" squat stance ... then just ****ing squat, it makes absolutely no difference whether the weight is on your back or the ground if the bio-mechanical movement is the same.

Crappy clean technique. This wasn't something unknown or revolutionary in 2008. Wilson is clearly not this bad as he teaches basic technique.

Viral Clemson bench video a few years ago. Clemson is good IN SPITE of this coach. Benching using tools designed to stimulate a bench shirt for equipped powerlifters in an effort to prevent shoulder injury is like squatting high to prevent knee injury. I'd bet this strength coach doesn't want his athletes to deadlift because they could hurt their back... but benching like this with weight they clearly can't handle is no problem.

My qualifications: BS in exercise science but I would be remiss if I said that would be the source of my knowledge. Most classes in school couldn't teach proper bench form let alone Alexey Medvedev's studies regarding the role of the relationship between intensity and volume in Soviet weightlifters. My powerlifting gym training with 2 world class athletes taught me more in three years than my university did in 4. When I say things like 525 is crap for a D1 football team's best or Landman and Purcell gaining 20lbs in two years is garbage, that's coming from experience.

Fail GIF

Hasn’t there only been one torn acl this year with Deion smith?

javier edwards was not the strongest dude coming from juco, he was completely out of shape and weak and drew Wilson transformed him into a solid football player for his senior year.

pursell greyshirted and didn’t need to gain a ton of weight after he arrived. He was always a workout monster.

it was well documented that lewis was a freak at lifting before he got here, go look at his recruiting profile.

wilson has made a huge difference here and it’s not even debatable. We have continued to become more and more physical every year he has been here.

Bamalan,

Obviously you put a lot of time into your post. At 1st glance, I tend to disagree, however I'm like Hokie and want more discussion from you. I'm not going to bash your qualifications (it sounds like you have a qualified background, perhaps not in college football, but you may have good information) or your opinion (except you should call out strength training, rather than Drew Wilson personally, as it sounds like your complaint in with general strength training in college football). I want to hear more about your theory in how to change things for the better in college football. Also, is there anyone in college football that uses a drastically different approach (something in line with what you are discussing) where results are good, but injuries are lessened?

I believe that there is always "more than one way to skin a cat," so I am interested in what more that you have to add. IMO, strength training, much like any expertise is always evolving, so further input is welcomed. IMO, some of the push back could be from the title of this thread. Calling for someone's job by name is drastic, maybe the thread name should be changed to something dealing with college football strength training in general, rather than Drew Wilson personally. I'm like 4thGenBuff, in that I have only heard good things about Drew Wilson from players, coaches and peers.

Last edited:
Wilson was hired by MacIntyre, retained by Tucker and retained again by Dorrell. That's a lot of college and NFL experience in big time conferences believing he is good at what he does. I'll take that over Bamalam22's JV opinion
If I recall we had a lot of injuries prior to him getting here and it was a major focus of Mike Mac to set up a system that built strength while also reducing injuries.

For the record I had friends on the former S&C group beneath Embree and was even given free tickets to the SC game and I still like Drew Wilson.

Drew Wilson has the respect and attention of the players. He has affected change, and the interior of both our lines are able to physically move opponents (rare in the last 15 years). We are always at par, or better conditioned than our opponents. Drew Wilson REALLY wants to be in Boulder Colorado (We have seen many assistants jump to "bigger/better" opportunities over the years). I think this is pretty awesome considering that for much of the offseason, most college teams were unable to train or practice. Accordingly, many people (including myself) predicted an increase in injuries this season as a result of the shut down/prolonged time off.

Drew Wilson is 100% someone that we want to be at CU.

Bamalan,

Obviously you put a lot of time into your post. At 1st glance, I tend to disagree, however I'm like Hokie and want more discussion from you. I'm not going to bash your qualifications (it sounds like you have a qualified background, perhaps not in college football, but you may have good information) or your opinion (except you should call out strength training, rather than Drew Wilson personally, as it sounds like your complaint in with general strength training in college football). I want to hear more about your theory in how to change things for the better in college football. Also, is there anyone in college football that uses a drastically different approach (something in line with what you are discussing) where results are good, but injuries are lessened?

I believe that there is always "more than one way to skin a cat," so I am interested in what more that you have to add. IMO, strength training, much like any expertise is always evolving, so further input is welcomed. IMO, some of the push back could be from the title of this thread. Calling for someone's job by name is drastic, maybe the thread name should be changed to something dealing with college football strength training in general, rather than Drew Wilson personally. I'm like 4thGenBuff, in that I have only heard good things about Drew Wilson from players, coaches and peers.
Valid point, I do have issues with the state of college athletic strength training in general which might be clouding my opinion. Unfortunately I'm putting thins together based on minimal information from what I see CU doing and adding a large chunk of what I think they're doing based on other coaches. I played a year of D1 baseball (before I gave it up due to my second Tommy John), we ran more distance than sprints. Which also might be a cause for my feelings toward Drew, I know coaches will have you do things that are detrimental to specific sport performance. There is absolutely no reason to make the core running distance 1500x larger than the furthest amount one will ever run at one time on a ball field.
There is just so much lack of knowledge about training in general, even with institutional guidance, half the crap they teach you is outdated and wrong. Ex. You aren't set with a certain composition of slow and fast twitch muscle fibers. Training endurance will make your fast twitch behave like slow twitch and vis versa. https://renaissanceperiodization.com/muscle-fiber-types-change-training-end-unfounded-debate/

Guys like Bisharat frustrated the hell out of me. I won't get too picky with other players physique's but the dude looked like he never visited the weight room in four years. That dude should've weighed 15 lbs more than what he did Sr year. Fontenot is another. Granted, he's a damn good rb but I can't help but wonder if an extra 10lbs of muscle would give him better top end speed. They don't have to look like bodybuilders but I do question the physique of some of these players and wonder how much emphasis is placed on conditioning when every unit except the o line is rotated like whores through an NBA team. Midnight hammered conditioning
however, to make your case, i think you need to show some more data that:
1. CU has a higher rate of preventable injury over the last five years than their peers (other Pac12 football teams)
2. CU players develop less than their peers over their time in school

for #1, you offer no data or even anecdotes. for #2 you offer an assessment based on your experience, but no data.

I'm interested in further discussion here, but curious if the higher rate of injury you're suggesting is perception, or based on data.
All I remember is thinking last year when Viska went out, that this was the third year in a row with injury problems. My proof for too many injuries will only be anecdotal, unfortunately. Doesn't help they are like an NHL team with giving out info for injuries.
LaViska was a core tear and pubic bone inflammation
Landman, Fontenot, and KD this year.
Purcell both years. I don't remember him getting rolled over this year but I might be wrong.
Mustafa last year
Chris Miller, Blackmon(?) can't remember other secondary players except the dude who cut his leg against Air Force but it felt like our whole starting secondary was out at one point. Same with o line
Guys like Poplawski, D Smith, Tonz, and Moretti but half this crap happens in practice so there is no way of knowing what actually happened. Can't remember what Tonz deal was either

OP, where did this come from? What sparked it?
Nate Landman. I don't think I've ever been hurt more by a Colorado players injury

Dude has a BS in exercise science. I'm sold
I already told you I learned more from my former strength coach than at uni. I'll put it this way, in the world of strength training an apprenticeship with Louie Simmons is worth more than all the University degrees combined. Louie Simmons was not my strength coach but his name was equally well known in powerlifting circles before he died.

Valid point, I do have issues with the state of college athletic strength training in general which might be clouding my opinion. Unfortunately I'm putting thins together based on minimal information from what I see CU doing and adding a large chunk of what I think they're doing based on other coaches. I played a year of D1 baseball (before I gave it up due to my second Tommy John), we ran more distance than sprints. Which also might be a cause for my feelings toward Drew, I know coaches will have you do things that are detrimental to specific sport performance. There is absolutely no reason to make the core running distance 1500x larger than the furthest amount one will ever run at one time on a ball field.
There is just so much lack of knowledge about training in general, even with institutional guidance, half the crap they teach you is outdated and wrong. Ex. You aren't set with a certain composition of slow and fast twitch muscle fibers. Training endurance will make your fast twitch behave like slow twitch and vis versa. https://renaissanceperiodization.com/muscle-fiber-types-change-training-end-unfounded-debate/

Guys like Bisharat frustrated the hell out of me. I won't get too picky with other players physique's but the dude looked like he never visited the weight room in four years. That dude should've weighed 15 lbs more than what he did Sr year. Fontenot is another. Granted, he's a damn good rb but I can't help but wonder if an extra 10lbs of muscle would give him better top end speed. They don't have to look like bodybuilders but I do question the physique of some of these players and wonder how much emphasis is placed on conditioning when every unit except the o line is rotated like whores through an NBA team. Midnight hammered conditioning

All I remember is thinking last year when Viska went out, that this was the third year in a row with injury problems. My proof for too many injuries will only be anecdotal, unfortunately. Doesn't help they are like an NHL team with giving out info for injuries.
Purcell both years. I don't remember him getting rolled over this year but I might be wrong.
Mustafa last year
Chris Miller, Blackmon(?) can't remember other secondary players except the dude who cut his leg against Air Force but it felt like our whole starting secondary was out at one point. Same with o line
Guys like Poplawski, D Smith, Tonz, and Moretti but half this crap happens in practice so there is no way of knowing what actually happened. Can't remember what Tonz deal was either

Nate Landman. I don't think I've ever been hurt more by a Colorado players injury

I already told you I learned more from my former strength coach than at uni. I'll put it this way, in the world of strength training an apprenticeship with Louie Simmons is worth more than all the University degrees combined. Louie Simmons was not my strength coach but his name was equally well known in powerlifting circles before he died.
I have to agree with this. Like ACs, where you worked and who are your mentors is really key in S/C. The degree means little especially wrt new training, nutrition and restorative approaches/methods being used (and trialed) through the sports industrial complex.

Mustafa last year

Dude.

Mustafa last year

My strength coach had the same name recognition as Louie Simmons, except I'm not going to name him because none of you will know who he is.

Mustafa last year

I agree with much of what you put in this post. You raised LaViska. He is a beast, but I have always wondered if the fact that he has grown so big, that he has out-sized his normal body-type/frame, which is leading to being injury prone. What are your thoughts on this?

Back