What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Darrin Chiaverini relieved of his duties as Offensive Coordinator

In truth, there are maybe 15 guys on the planet who can run an NFL offense really well as a QB. Even NFL teams have mostly gone away from it & installed college concepts for this reason. It's crazy to try to run an old school West Coast O on the college level.
I remember how frustrating it was to watch Watson's version of the WCO. Klatt could actually run it, though. I think coaches look at it as an equalizer, keeping the D honest, and off balance. You can still get out athleted, but in a weird way, it is strategically similar to the triple O, in that it allows a team with some talent deficiencies to still have an effective O. But, as you point out, it is very complicated, and virtually impossible to effectively implement in CFB because QB's lack the experience, practice time limits etc.

I agree, but Lewis is clearly struggling to make even basic throws in this offense. Why? Are the reads too complicated? Is he being coached so hard not to make a mistake? Are the routes not developing fast enough? There has been no attempt to get him comfortable with anything quick and easy. Playcalling is truly an art, and the predictability is on Chev for sure, but he has never coordinated an offense this bad. There is definitely something with the scheme.
Chev has always had problems with designing basic route trees. He loves that air raid stuff with having all receivers run the same distance downfield to spread the field horizontally. That's on him.

With an inexperienced QB, most of our downfield passing should be: 2-man route tree on 1 side of the field with 1 defensive player as the key read - scramble drill & look to take off running if it's not there.

Chev has always had problems with designing basic route trees. He loves that air raid stuff with having all receivers run the same distance downfield to spread the field horizontally. That's on him.

With an inexperienced QB, most of our downfield passing should be: 2-man route tree on 1 side of the field with 1 defensive player as the key read - scramble drill & look to take off running if it's not there.
So do you believe Dorrell has given Chev carte blanche on the offensive scheme as well as play calling and we are, in fact, running the offense that Chev wants to run? That feels like a stretch to me and kind of absolves Dorrell a bit. It also doesn't align with what we've seen from Chev in the past.

Enter Karl Dorrell. Do you believe he, RG and LC even had a conversation about the offensive scheme, style, philosophy? I am seriously questioning whether RG and LC actually did any due diligence on the specifics.
I think the pain meds from RG's back surgery severely inhibited his judgement. It's the only think I got. Otherwise, we just wasted more $$ on his contract extension.

So do you believe Dorrell has given Chev carte blanche on the offensive scheme as well as play calling and we are, in fact, running the offense that Chev wants to run? That feels like a stretch to me and kind of absolves Dorrell a bit. It also doesn't align with what we've seen from Chev in the past.
I think it's a mix. Frankly, I don't much care.

Here's what I think is relevant:

1. Chev can't competently coordinate any offensive system.

2. Dorrell needs to set a vision for what he wants out of his offense and then find someone to deliver a system & call the plays on gameday.

Well, whatever the combination or chemistry of those two, it doesn't work. Firing Chev is the cheaper way to solve that problem, so I expect that to be the solution

In truth, there are maybe 15 guys on the planet who can run an NFL offense really well as a QB. Even NFL teams have mostly gone away from it & installed college concepts for this reason. It's crazy to try to run an old school West Coast O on the college level.
1. We are not running the west coast offense, of any variety.
2. regardless of what our scheme actually is, we are only running two or three formations and about 10-15 different plays a game, at the most. Whatever is wrong, an overly complicated scheme isnt it.
3. the playcalling is atrociously predictable.
4. despite the above, there were still open receivers on virtually every passing play, and the qb still turtled.
5. Chev has to go.

I have been a consistent HCKD defender, but if it is true that he is installing the West Coast offense I am off of the train.

College athletes do not have time or the skill to run that system effectevely. If he doesn't know that then he should be gone.
As someone stated, the fact that we don’t who whether or not we’re trying to run the WCO this far into the season is scary

Last edited:
negative_nellie_oleson.jpg
I am just glad I am not the only negative person on this board anymore! :ROFLMAO:

Really hoping to hear something today from HCKD about what will be changing with play calling. Definitely not holding my breath though.

1. We are not running the west coast offense, of any variety.
2. regardless of what our scheme actually is, we are only running two or three formations and about 10-15 different plays a game, at the most. Whatever is wrong, an overly complicated scheme isnt it.
3. the playcalling is atrociously predictable.
4. despite the above, there were still open receivers on virtually every passing play, and the qb still turtled.
5. Chev has to go.
It's not full WCO but you can most certainly see the formations of WCO. The stretch run plays, route tree, etc. They could probably just rename it because no one will ever run it again.

I am also confused about what our offense is supposed to be. I don't see WCO out there. Maybe they are trying, but I don't recall seeing a single slant and only a few bubble screens for a loss. Ball is not getting to playmakers. It looks almost exactly the same as what Donovan is trying to run at UW, which is - run into stacked box on first down, get sacked on 2nd down, and scramble drill towards the sidelines on 3rd and long and hope your TE gets open. Oh, and punish your best players by not playing them so they "get better". Granted, it actually worked against Arkansas State last week, but otherwise it's as ineffective as it is boring.

I am also confused about what our offense is supposed to be. I don't see WCO out there. Maybe they are trying, but I don't recall seeing a single slant and only a few bubble screens for a loss. Ball is not getting to playmakers. It looks almost exactly the same as what Donovan is trying to run at UW, which is - run into stacked box on first down, get sacked on 2nd down, and scramble drill towards the sidelines on 3rd and long and hope your TE gets open. Oh, and punish your best players by not playing them so they "get better". Granted, it actually worked against Arkansas State last week, but otherwise it's as ineffective as it is boring.
NM

Bill Walsh restricted his offense for Joe Montana, to where he only had him going through 3 receivers in a progression, and only on on side of the field, until Joe Montana was in his third year as a starter; i.e., until afer he had won a super bowl.

Enter Karl Dorrell. Do you believe he, RG and LC even had a conversation about the offensive scheme, style, philosophy? I am seriously questioning whether RG and LC actually did any due diligence on the specifics.
I’m happy that you’ve finally come around to acknowledge what many of us were saying before Dorrell’s hire.

I’m happy that you’ve finally come around to acknowledge what many of us were saying before Dorrell’s hire.
I'm always going to give people a chance before condemning them. Until Saturday, I was willing to say he was a good leader, great at preparing the team to compete, and great at building a fundamentally sound program, while also willing to concede that he was a ****ty recruiter. Saturday changed everything for my perception of him and his abilities as a CEO of a college football program.

Bill Walsh restricted his offense for Joe Montana, to where he only had him going through 3 receivers in a progression, and only on on side of the field, until Joe Montana was in his third year as a starter; i.e., until afer he had won a super bowl.

Great point. Walsh and Montana are exactly who I was thinking about when trying to come up with a comp for Dorrell and Lewis.

I'm always going to give people a chance before condemning them. Until Saturday, I was willing to say he was a good leader, great at preparing the team to compete, and great at building a fundamentally sound program, while also willing to concede that he was a ****ty recruiter. Saturday changed everything for my perception of him and his abilities as a CEO of a college football program.
One of the things I’ve had to learn in managing others is to understand their limitations before hiring them. Obviously, this is an imperfect measurement, but there are telltale signs. Since turnover is so costly, the hiring process is critical, especially in high stakes businesses.

Karl Dorrell has been exactly what we thought he would be. The problem is that the sport has evolved to the point where being about mediocre isn’t good enough to get mediocre results.

@Duffman

CU has Ol depth. The problem is most of the depth is young and inexperienced. Also had guys leave early and guys out due to injury. CU is forced to move guards out to play tackle. Jake Wiley probably needed one more year of development before he is ready to compete for starting role. Frank Filip needed more time to come back from injury and also needs to get bigger and stronger. The Tank is one or two years away from copetiting CU is bringing in 3 freshmen, Boley, Gray and Edwards. They will probably need 2 or 3 years to develop. The Buffs have a problem. Will have to look at transfer portal or JUCO ranks to fix it. Need at a minimum 2 upperclassmen tackles for the 2022 season. Need the two deep to look like the two new players, Filip and Wray. The other guys should concentrate on getting better. The OL problems is also not entirely the fault of he players. There is also poor coaching. CU is getting beat easilly by simple twist stunts. But you also have poor play from Senior OL like Kutsch and Pursell. That is the most disappinting part. Kutsch and Pursell have been dreadful the past two games. Expected better interior play from the seniors. MIght as well give Lee, Johnson and others more game time. Ray should never start ahead of Roddick. Roddick has also had some bad spells, but he is the better run and pass blocker. It is a mess.

Back