What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Darrin Chiaverini relieved of his duties as Offensive Coordinator

I’m not saying he will, only guessing. The press is calling out offensive impotence. It will be a topic in press conferences. It’s become the elephant in the room. The players know it, a la B Rice tweet. A divided locker room is the last thing this staff can afford. HCKD dismisses it at his own peril.
Do you really want Dorrell calling plays? He’s been a play caller 1 season in the last 15 and it did not go well at all. He’s a WCO guy which is so hard to run at the college level unless you’re stacked with elite talent. Bruins fans hated his offense because it took 4 years to learn, then guys graduated just as they started to catch on.

This was all a long time ago, but the guy had been in the NFL not calling play for the better part of 2 decades, I’m not sure he’s necessarily an upgrade.

#outsidehire
agencylife advertisement GIF by MX Player

Do you really want Dorrell calling plays? He’s been a play caller 1 season in the last 15 and it did not go well at all. He’s a WCO guy which is so hard to run at the college level unless you’re stacked with elite talent. Bruins fans hated his offense because it took 4 years to learn, then guys graduated just as they started to catch on.

This was all a long time ago, but the guy had been in the NFL not calling play for the better part of 2 decades, I’m not sure he’s necessarily an upgrade.
I have no idea whether his involvement would be an improvement. Maybe it‘s only through this season and they decide to shake up the staff and Chiv moves on then. All I know is, if they get on an extended losing streak and the offense is the reason, HCKD is going to have to do something different.

I’m not saying he will, only guessing. The press is calling out offensive impotence. It will be a topic in press conferences. It’s become the elephant in the room. The players know it, a la B Rice tweet. A divided locker room is the last thing this staff can afford. HCKD dismisses it at his own peril.
We’ll see if the reporters covering the team ask hard questions

I have no idea whether his involvement would be an improvement. Maybe it‘s only through this season and they decide to shake up the staff and Chiv moves on then. All I know is, if they get on an extended losing streak and the offense is the reason, HCKD is going to have to do something different.
What I really hope is that if we move on from Chev, that Dorrell is open minded about the style of offense this team runs. The number of quality options willing to run the WCO in Boulder is probably small.

Do we think the playbook is sufficient and the players are generally capable of execution (save for the current right side of the OL)? And therefore, the issue is Chiv not getting the right formation and play called at the right time? Or do we question whether the playbook is the right one for this team at all?

I think the playbook a) lacks plays that feature sleight of hand and deception (play action, read option, etc.) and b) Chiv‘s formations lack versatility, allowing opposing defenses a chance to decipher what play is coming with ease. Chiv also calls the wrong plays for down and distance and lapses into play calling ruts, repeating things. So, to me it’s less about aggressiveness vs conservatism and more about lack of savvy and creativity.

Andrew Sowder is a name to watch and would be a great mesh with Lewis's skill set and our other talent. The Kent State offense has been dirty since he took over. And, hey, they managed to hang 10 points on aTm.

Love this idea. Sowder was at San Jose State prior to Kent State, so he's been in California. He's also a **** Bailer alum with experience coaching at West Texas A&M. Like your idea of Matt Mattox too-wouldn't object to pairing him with Sterlin Gilbert assuming Syracuse shows Babers the door.

Do we think the playbook is sufficient and the players are generally capable of execution (save for the current right side of the OL)? And therefore, the issue is Chiv not getting the right formation and play called at the right time? Or do we question whether the playbook is the right one for this team at all?
Dungeons And Dragons Reaction GIF by Hyper RPG

Yes, I actually think it's both.

The playbook is not sufficient, and the play calling is poor.

The play calling might be improved by a better playbook, but that is partly because it's somewhat easy to improve on atrocious.

I like him more after his presser postgame yesterday. I've had nothing against him, I was just underwhelmed with his hiring.

Took me a month or two to come around to his hiring, but I believe in the guy and love the fact that he's so passionate about CU and Boulder. Want him to succeed, but we'll see.

I don't think many people on this board "despise" KD. I think a lot of us despise his recruiting emphasis, or lack thereof. But he seems like a good guy and he very clearly does well prepping the team for gamedays. I'd love for him to do well here, but he needs to completely overhaul his approach to recruiting if he wants to stay here longer than 4 years.

We are playing our third game next week and really have no clear answer as to what we have in Lewis.
Then they need to take the handcuffs off and let him use his skill set. Can he get hurt like that, sure, he can get hurt either way. At least, you'll see what you have.

I don't think many people on this board "despise" KD. I think a lot of us despise his recruiting emphasis, or lack thereof. But he seems like a good guy and he very clearly does well prepping the team for gamedays. I'd love for him to do well here, but he needs to completely overhaul his approach to recruiting if he wants to stay here longer than 4 years.
KD is probably best suited talking to Mom's, he doesn't seem like the kind of guy that is going to mesh well with the players themselves. Really need an engaging individual that can keep kids on the hook for him.

KD is probably best suited talking to Mom's, he doesn't seem like the kind of guy that is going to mesh well with the players themselves. Really need an engaging individual that can keep kids on the hook for him.
I think the Dorrell we are doing interviews is different than the one the players see during practice.

Would Chev rather take a demotion back to WR coach/recruiting coordinator, rather than go somewhere else to do the same thing? Doubtful, but I think his options may be limited at this point, and he does provide good value for this program if he humbles himself and takes on his primary recruiting role again.
I do not have insight to what Chev is thinking... but from the outside looking in, he appears to believe he is a rising star in the OC world. I believe, from the view of most major conference schools they see him as an absolute failure as an OC and a project WR coach at this point. He may find himself coaching WR's at the lowly depths of the Ewes level.

Would Chev rather take a demotion back to WR coach/recruiting coordinator, rather than go somewhere else to do the same thing? Doubtful, but I think his options may be limited at this point, and he does provide good value for this program if he humbles himself and takes on his primary recruiting role again.
Chev can probably make more being a WR coach/recruiting coordinator than he does as our OC so I don’t see that happening.

I do not have insight to what Chev is thinking... but from the outside looking in, he appears to believe he is a rising star in the OC world. I believe, from the view of most major conference schools they see him as an absolute failure as an OC and a project WR coach at this point. He may find himself coaching WR's at the lowly depths of the Ewes level.
I think he's a good WR coach. I know others here disagree, but the WR group has easily been the best and most consistent position group, as a whole, through 3 different coaching staffs since he has been here over the last 5 years. There are 10 games remaining for him to show he can adjust and get this offense turned around. I'm just wondering if he would rather be a WR coach at another P5 program, or be a WR coach/OC at a small school.

DC could possibly get a HC job at a bad FCS school that fires it’s coach after this season. Think Bobby Houck’s 2 gigs at Montana or Ed Mc at UNC. The pay isn’t great but it’s a start and he probably has some savings from his CU money. THAT is his long and tortuous path into big time HC coaching if he has one….

However, in life I think you should dance with the skills that brung ya. Retool himself as an upper tier WR coach and a lights out WR recruiter. Do what you do naturally the best. There’s no shame in being one of the top position coaches in the country; it’s a great goal. It’s probably a road out of CU, but that seems to be where this is all headed anyway.

Chev can probably make more being a WR coach/recruiting coordinator than he does as our OC so I don’t see that happening.
Where? Who is going to pay him more than $600k to do that? That's Alabama assistant coach money and he isn't going to a blue blood program in that capacity

Back