What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Darrin Chiaverini relieved of his duties as Offensive Coordinator

UNC whipped HBU on the road who lost 27-17 at New Mexico. Based on that, it’s possible UNC could beat CSU & Wyoming this year. AFA, CSU, Wyoming, and UNC will always have overlooked CO kids who will treat the game against CU as their personal Super Bowl.

35 points with a vanilla offensive plan against a fired up local team with a freshman QB making his first start…some reassessing should be done for that game. Especially when there was scant information on UNC’s new schemes & players. Just write off the UNC game as a preseason type of game and not count this against Chev. Utah & ASU scored about just five more points against their Big Sky opponents than CU did and if CU has the intel on UNC like Utah & ASU has on their Big Sky opponents, CU probably puts a couple to a few more TDs on UNC for a decent showing like ASU & UA would do to NAU and Utah to their regional FCS opponents such as Weber State, Idaho State, and Southern Utah.

Now if the Buffs O can’t score 20-25 points against that Gophers D that gave up 25 points to Miami OH, then the heat will be on Chev.

1. We saw a lot of sloppiness week 1. We didn't play well-but neither did Oklahoma, Oregon, Utah, Arizona State, Notre Dame, and A&M.....I could go on. On top of that, the lack of information on what UNC was did help keep them in the game.
2. If you haven't subjected yourself to the eyesore that is the 2021 version of Colorado State football (I did for a bit on Saturday because I had the under in their game), know this-They're putrid. Easily the worst CSU team I can remember, and I can't find a game on their schedule I think they're going to win. Addazio has been such a disaster there there's no way he's NOT on the hot seat. UNC is better than they are, and probably by more than a lot of you think.
3. Still pissed about losing Saturday. Rewatched the game tonight-the 4th down call inside their 10 was a mistake. That's a spot where you can and probably should play conservative-because Zach Calzada and their offense did their best Washington impression for the most of that game. Another observation I've got is this-two spots in that game where we failed epically in the situational football department. One's the 4th down on our last position. You don't check it down and hope your guy can make a couple dudes miss in that spot. Stanley stops short of the sticks, Lewis throws it there (because he failed at this too), and Jimbo gets away with one. There was another 3rd down earlier in the game where Stanley (iirc) did that again and Lewis was oblivious to the down and distance and threw it to him again. Another drive killed because we don't understand the situation. With that said, you have to hope we're not seeing BL do this a year or two from now-so let's not worry about that for now. The WR play wasn't good enough on Saturday-and who coaches that position? That's right-Darrin Chiaverini.
4. Early Minnesota thought-Their now starter at RB isn't half the stud Ibrahim is IMO. That hurts. Can't really take much from their two games because I think our defense is that much better than either of the two they've played. I think we can control their ground game-but OTOH I think Tanner Morgan is a good college QB who could steal a game like this if our offense doesn't play better. Defensively I think they're okay-but I have the feeling we'll be able to run on them.

UNC whipped HBU on the road who lost 27-17 at New Mexico. Based on that, it’s possible UNC could beat CSU & Wyoming this year. AFA, CSU, Wyoming, and UNC will always have overlooked CO kids who will treat the game against CU as their personal Super Bowl.

35 points with a vanilla offensive plan against a fired up local team with a freshman QB making his first start…some reassessing should be done for that game. Especially when there was scant information on UNC’s new schemes & players. Just write off the UNC game as a preseason type of game and not count this against Chev. Utah & ASU scored about just five more points against their Big Sky opponents than CU did and if CU has the intel on UNC like Utah & ASU has on their Big Sky opponents, CU probably puts a couple to a few more TDs on UNC for a decent showing like ASU & UA would do to NAU and Utah to their regional FCS opponents such as Weber State, Idaho State, and Southern Utah.

Now if the Buffs O can’t score 20-25 points against that Gophers D that gave up 25 points to Miami OH, then the heat will be on Chev.
Wow. Just f*cking stop already. HBU is pure a$$. UNC will beat Lamar and maybe Southern Utah. The rest of their schedule are Ls. AFA and Wyoming would beat them by 30 and hell, even CSU's sorry asses would likely win by double digits.

Our offense has significant issues. Doesn't matter who we play.

1. We saw a lot of sloppiness week 1. We didn't play well-but neither did Oklahoma, Oregon, Utah, Arizona State, Notre Dame, and A&M.....I could go on. On top of that, the lack of information on what UNC was did help keep them in the game.
2. If you haven't subjected yourself to the eyesore that is the 2021 version of Colorado State football (I did for a bit on Saturday because I had the under in their game), know this-They're putrid. Easily the worst CSU team I can remember, and I can't find a game on their schedule I think they're going to win. Addazio has been such a disaster there there's no way he's NOT on the hot seat. UNC is better than they are, and probably by more than a lot of you think.
3. Still pissed about losing Saturday. Rewatched the game tonight-the 4th down call inside their 10 was a mistake. That's a spot where you can and probably should play conservative-because Zach Calzada and their offense did their best Washington impression for the most of that game. Another observation I've got is this-two spots in that game where we failed epically in the situational football department. One's the 4th down on our last position. You don't check it down and hope your guy can make a couple dudes miss in that spot. Stanley stops short of the sticks, Lewis throws it there (because he failed at this too), and Jimbo gets away with one. There was another 3rd down earlier in the game where Stanley (iirc) did that again and Lewis was oblivious to the down and distance and threw it to him again. Another drive killed because we don't understand the situation. With that said, you have to hope we're not seeing BL do this a year or two from now-so let's not worry about that for now. The WR play wasn't good enough on Saturday-and who coaches that position? That's right-Darrin Chiaverini.
4. Early Minnesota thought-Their now starter at RB isn't half the stud Ibrahim is IMO. That hurts. Can't really take much from their two games because I think our defense is that much better than either of the two they've played. I think we can control their ground game-but OTOH I think Tanner Morgan is a good college QB who could steal a game like this if our offense doesn't play better. Defensively I think they're okay-but I have the feeling we'll be able to run on them.
You can cull this entire thing down to: The teams are equally matched across all units except QB. If Morgan gets going, we're in trouble. That said, we're at home so that could be the difference.

#4 You think CU D is much better than Ohio State? That is laughable. Ibrahim is a stud, but the backup ran for 34/178 last week

I have to agree on CSewe. I surfed by and watched the 4th last Sat. That is one bad team. Even more remarkable is Vandy was just as bad, and the goats still lost...at home. Toledo on the road, then Iowa, 0-4 will make that team mail it in the rest of the season.

Against Miami (Ohio). CU’s defense essentially held A&M to Jimbo Fisher’s worst offensive game during his tenure there. We have a legit D.

The D is definitely the strength of the team. No discussion there. I do think that the backup QB was horrific and if he could have thrown with any accuracy, these numbers would be much different. I love our D and hope we have the depth to keep performing as the season rolls on

The D is definitely the strength of the team. No discussion there. I do think that the backup QB was horrific and if he could have thrown with any accuracy, these numbers would be much different. I love our D and hope we have the depth to keep performing as the season rolls on
Yep, definitely had a lot to do with the QB situation but they were very stout against the run (3.9 avg), which is the primary concern this week. FWIW, CU’s run defense ranks 14th nationally at 58.5/game and 2.5 avg.

On the flip side, Minnesota’s run defense ranks 80th giving up 152/game (5.4 avg).

Sure. But Haynes King was pretty bad against Kent State and CU had shut him down on two of those 3 and outs. The defense is good.
Haynes King isn’t good either per your point about him being bad against Kent State. aTm has a major QB depth problem, especially considering how they’re loaded in the skill positions.

The starters for CU’s defense are good. Depth remains a major problem. I’ll be interested in seeing what happens when we face an a good offense to make a final judgment on Colorado’s defensive quality.

#4 You think CU D is much better than Ohio State? That is laughable. Ibrahim is a stud, but the backup ran for 34/178 last week

Look at the NCAA total defense rankings and tell me where CU, Ohio State, and Miami (OH) rank.

Last edited:
The starters for CU’s defense are good. Depth remains a major problem. I’ll be interested in seeing what happens when we face an a good offense late in the season to make a final judgment on Colorado’s defensive quality.
FIFY - it's not a good defense unless it's good down the stretch too.

The defense is definitely the strength of this team. Having said that, two games in is a little early to proclaim them tops in the NCAA.

Who said that? I just pointed out that they have defended the run extremely well through two games and Minnesota has not. Ya know, it's OK to have some level of optimism from time to time.
I took that to be the general thrust of ahoelsken's post above asking for a comparison of CU's D to tOSU and Miami OH.

Carry on.

Wow. Just f*cking stop already. HBU is pure a$$. UNC will beat Lamar and maybe Southern Utah. The rest of their schedule are Ls. AFA and Wyoming would beat them by 30 and hell, even CSU's sorry asses would likely win by double digits.

Our offense has significant issues. Doesn't matter who we play.

Vandy only managed a FG at home against freaking East Tennessee State and yet beat CSU on the road by a FG. CSU is bad enough that UNC beating them this year would be realistic unlike in most years and that's saying something how bad CSU is this year. They are baaaaaaaaaaaaaad!

I never said UNC would beat AFA...please read carefully next time.

I don't care how good or bad HBU is but that was still a very good win by UNC on the road. I'm not sure the old UNC coaching staff would have gotten a win in this case.

I'm not pushing the panic button about the offense at this point...we just played a SEC D.

Last edited:

1. That is the point I'm making and had CU known more about that UNC defense, I'm sure CU scores at least a couple to a few more TDs and makes people feel better. I think people are overreacting over scoring only 35 points against UNC.
2. Yeah I'm amazed at how bad CSU is this year.
3. Agree CU should have done better on offense in this case.
4. Same thoughts regarding the Minny game and the offense is going to have to move. If not, Minny could win easily and we could have a new OC next season.

Back